Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
This film definitely is not as forgettable as you're claiming. Sure, it's dull and poorly paced, but it's memorable in the ways it is bad. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days after I watched it. It's been a while since a movie I didn't like stuck in my craw quite the way this did.

Also, you don't see the moral implications of taking over someone's body and loving in it?

Edit: This thread really isn't the place for this, so I'm just gonna shut the gently caress up.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

enigmahfc posted:

the fact that people actually have STRONG OPINIONS about WW84 shows just how few movies there were this year, and how hungry people are to just have STRONG OPINIONS about a movie. WW84 was weird but I find it really strange that people are going insane about just an overall bland movie. If this had been any other year with roughly 20 huge blockbusters releasing every few minutes, no one would give 2 shits about WW84 and they def would not write full articles about how it shows the destruction of Hollywood and mankind as a whole, and at most We Hate Movies would have maybe mentioned it in passing or something. People just REALLY want to hate this movie and they want to make sure EVEYONE knows it.

I haven't seen it but I think it might have a lot to do with how big a drop off it was from the original.

Which I also haven't seen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

enigmahfc posted:

I also so not see any 'rape problems', but yeah, the movie is kinda a mess.

The guy Steve takes over. Like, takes over the body of. Diana sleeps with him, right? His body is used to have sex with Diana. Where is his consciousness when this happens? His body is used as a vessel for sex, and then Steve leaves it, and Diana just sort of hits on him at the end, with him none the wiser that she's seen him naked and had sex with his body, because he wasn't conscious for any of it.

It's a weird fantasy moment, so not really analogous to real life. But they still wrote it like that, when they could have written it literally any other way. They could have written Steven magically appearing out of nowhere. Hell, that's how the wall and the nukes appear, so there's no reason they couldn't have done the same for Steve. Someone else in a different thread pointed out that they could have played up the 80's feel and had him be a mannequin come to life. Or have Diana wake up and have Steve come out of the shower, Dallas style. But instead, they had Steve take over someone else's existence for literally no reason. They didn't use it to comment on that being one of the reasons Diana had to give up Steve, because the only reason given was that Diana needed her powers back. They just had Steve take over this guy's whole life and being for...reasons. And that's loving weird for a lot of reasons.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 4, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think Wonder Woman pulling a MaxGruber would have given me a shitload more respect for them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean they could have just not had sex too. It isn’t that much of a stretch from where they ended up. She wasn’t even weirded out by seeing another dude.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Angry_Ed posted:

]

My point being Gal Godot's IDF service and rants about Hamas have nothing to do with the problems of the movie.

Nah.

Just lol if you aren’t cocking your eyebrow at a fake Egyptian politician talking about his stolen land before a wall goes up in a movie starring someone who defends people who shoot Palestinian nurses. And it’s not like I’m SMG and the only person who thinks this is a wildly bonkers decision in a movie that aggressively supports austerity.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Daddy Dispatch is out, so we can stop wondering what the worst of 2020 will be.

Episode 524 — Wonder Woman 1984
Episode 525 — Dolittle
Episode 526 — Fantasy Island
Episode 527 — Bad Boys For Life

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Holy loving poo poo I didn't see that WLM coming.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

END ME SCOOB posted:

Holy loving poo poo I didn't see that WLM coming.

Oh I forgot to include everything else.

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn
Animation Damnation — The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special
The Nexus: TOS: "A Piece of the Action" (s2, e17) TNG: "Peak Performance" (s2, e22)
Gleep Glossary: Mister Bones

I love the WLM choice, so I'm all in for this.

Also, I'm confused, looking up the TNG episode of The Nexus, isn't that e21, not 22, and that's one more episode in the season?

I'm just ready to be done with season 2, and be done with Pulaski.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I thought bad boys for life was considered OK.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I am so hyped for the WLM, I absolutely loved that film. it was FUN, god forbid, a fun movie!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teen witch posted:

I am so hyped for the WLM, I absolutely loved that film. it was FUN, god forbid, a fun movie!

100% agreed.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gently caress YEA another excuse to rewatch the WLM ep.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

gently caress YEA another excuse to rewatch the WLM ep.

I've never seen it :shrug:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I haven't seen Birds of Prey yet, but it has a lot of dudebros say things like, "How could DC go from badass masterpieces like Man of Steel to garbage like Birds of Prey?" So I assume it's good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Birds of Prey's only downside is that it's a DC movie. Just watch it as some bonkers action thriller. It's fantastic.

Invalid Validation posted:

I think they've done this before with the Fast and Furious movies and admitted they just want to pick stuff that seems fun to riff on. I wish they'd dive a bit deeper in the trash bin though.

Also, I called the WLM.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s easily the best superhero related film I’ve seen in a very long time. Totally redeems pooicide squad

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Marin Karin posted:

I haven't seen Birds of Prey yet, but it has a lot of dudebros say things like, "How could DC go from badass masterpieces like Man of Steel to garbage like Birds of Prey?" So I assume it's good.

I really like both? But think they're not even comparable, so that's weird.

The comparison is Birds of Prey to Suicide Squad, and I think BoP is so much better than SS that it hurts.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Invalid Validation posted:

They did the previous two Bad Boys movies already so might as well keep going.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Marin Karin posted:

It's... fine? It's pretty good. The script is kind of all over the place and never really gels, but the individual plot threads are mostly fun; it's good but not greater than the sum of its parts. The worst thing I'll say about it is that the Cassandra Cain character is a weird waste of a comics character in that she has nothing at all other than her ethnicity in common with the Cassandra Cain from the comics; even then the character herself is fine, they should have just made her a new character.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thrawn527 posted:

The guy Steve takes over. Like, takes over the body of. Diana sleeps with him, right? His body is used to have sex with Diana. Where is his consciousness when this happens? His body is used as a vessel for sex, and then Steve leaves it, and Diana just sort of hits on him at the end, with him none the wiser that she's seen him naked and had sex with his body, because he wasn't conscious for any of it.

okay, I wasn't connecting it like that, but I see where you're coming from there. I just saw it as hosed up and weird and a really bad story beat., but I get your point.

If I was the guy that got taken over, I'd have more of a problem with all those Pop-Tarts and coffee that Chris Pine subjected me to.

I also didn't mean to start this, I'm just tired of the Takes Machine going off the rails and everything on the internet being the worst/best thing ever, no in between. I'm not going to die on the WW84 hill. I did like the first 30 minutes where it felt like a cheesy 80's Superman movie.

Marin Karin posted:

Birds of Prey is fine. I forgot literally 95% of it the moment it was over, though. I'd say that I find that a really weird pick for WLM, but I do not want to start another derail.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 4, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Chris Pine is the most redeeming actor in WW84. Any time he was on screen I was there for it, but he's only it for like sub-30 minutes at most. What a shame there probably wont be another stark trek... drat.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Andrew and Eric are smoking CBD joints and chit-chatting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Qoe_Movks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marin Karin posted:

I enjoyed it a lot. It's not some gold medal of film but A) in the rather dire world of super hero movies it's up there with Ant Man and Guardians for 'oh loving thank god a super hero movie where people are having fun' so that's worth some brownie points as is, and B) it's a real good 'I've got nothing to do today, time to just watch a movie and chill' movie so I'd say it's a good WLM pick.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Chris Pine is the most redeeming actor in WW84. Any time he was on screen I was there for it, but he's only it for like sub-30 minutes at most. What a shame there probably wont be another stark trek... drat.

There are rumors because he's been talking up Patty Jenkins' bonafides, that he may be in the Rogue Squadron movie (assuming that still gets made and Disney doesn't get frightened by a movie not being a huge success and thus pulls Jenkins off the project)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

There are rumors because he's been talking up Patty Jenkins' bonafides, that he may be in the Rogue Squadron movie (assuming that still gets made and Disney doesn't get frightened by a movie made by a woman not being a huge success and thus pulls Jenkins off the project)

FTFY

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yes that is also depressingly likely :sigh:

Henker
May 5, 2009

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

OK, true, I'll cop to Pascal being great, mostly because the man just oozes emotion in every facial movement. His career has REALLY taken off after GoT--getting the title role in Mandalorian and having it be such a huge success has helped.
It's nuts just how much his career took off after GoT. He's been acting since 1996 (he was even in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), but if you look at his IMDB credits it was mostly bit parts in police procedurals. Hell, GoT could arguably be a bit part since he was only in 7 episodes. Now he's almost single-handedly holding up the entire weight of Star Wars, one of the most venerable franchises of all time, on his shoulders. He absolutely deserves it too, since by all accounts he seems like a really nice and humble guy (not getting your big break until you're almost 40 probably helps with that).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think the closest comparison would be Colin Trevorrow being pulled off of Episode IX after the failure of Book of Henry, right? So being a woman wouldn't necessarily be relevant.

Has Disney pulled a woman off of a big ticket project after a bad showing that I'm forgetting?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I think the closest comparison would be Colin Trevorrow being pulled off of Episode IX after the failure of Book of Henry, right? So being a woman wouldn't necessarily be relevant.

Has Disney pulled a woman off of a big ticket project after a bad showing that I'm forgetting?

Whereas most male directors can put out critical and box office failures and still manage to fail upwards, whenever a female director makes even a middling success, her career is pretty much over. See for example Lexi Alexander (Punisher Warzone).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

Whereas most male directors can put out critical and box office failures and still manage to fail upwards, whenever a female director makes even a middling success, her career is pretty much over. See for example Lexi Alexander (Punisher Warzone).

Didn't WB just announce they were fast tracking WW3? I'd say announcing the death of her career is premature.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrawn527 posted:

Men on the internet so worked up about Ethics in Offscreen Body Swap Hookups that none of them seem to have noticed the literal attempted rape scene lol. Personally I think it would be cool to have a "girl power" comic book movie without a man trying to rape a woman in it. That would feel empowering, to me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Didn't WB just announce they were fast tracking WW3? I'd say announcing the death of her career is premature.

Oh, didn't know that. Good for Jenkins at least. Let's see if she and DC learn from the mistakes of this one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Huego posted:

Men on the internet so worked up about Ethics in Offscreen Body Swap Hookups that none of them seem to have noticed the literal attempted rape scene lol. Personally I think it would be cool to have a "girl power" comic book movie without a man trying to rape a woman in it. That would feel empowering, to me.

Oh, I definitely noticed that. That was just obvious, and the would be rapist is beaten up for it, first by Diana, then by Barbara. As where the whole Steve and Diana thing is seemingly seen as a good thing, so seems worthy of more discussion.

Yeah, it's also hosed up how the movie shows someone almost rape Barbara, and when Barbara beats the poo poo out of him later, it's seen as a "bad thing" because bad guy music plays. But that doesn't make the Steve and Diana thing not worth discussing, because it's weird that the movie treats it as super cool.

I agree, though, it would have been way better to include neither of them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh, didn't know that. Good for Jenkins at least. Let's see if she and DC learn from the mistakes of this one.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-woman-3-wonder-woman-1984-opening-box-office-1234661808/

‘Wonder Woman 3’ Being Fast-Tracked Following Sequel’s Current $85M WW To Date; Patty Jenkins & Gal Gadot Will Be Back

quote:

Wonder Woman 3 is being fast-tracked, Warner Bros. announced today. The news comes as the pic has amounted to $85M WW after a $16.7M domestic debut.

The threequel will be written by Patty Jenkins, who is attached to direct, and starring Gal Gadot.

The pic was released on HBO Max in the states and in theaters this past weekend. The sequel was in its second weekend abroad, grossing $19.4M from 42 markets. Combined with US/Canada, WW1984 made $36.1M.

“As fans around the world continue to embrace Diana Prince, driving the strong opening weekend performance of Wonder Woman 1984, we are excited to be able to continue her story with our real life Wonder Women – Gal and Patty – who will return to conclude the long-planned theatrical trilogy,” said Toby Emmerich, Chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 4, 2021

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That WLM slaps.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cannot wait for the 30+ minute egg sandwich digression we're guaranteed to get during that WLM.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Huego posted:

Cannot wait for the 30+ minute egg sandwich digression we're guaranteed to get during that WLM.

They are New Yorkers and there was a bacon egg gently caress I might make some for the occasion. I’d kill for a proper fuckin Kaiser roll here

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

thrawn527 posted:

I don't think anyone's saying that's for sure going to happen with Jenkins, but there's definitely precedent for other female directors with careers on the rise that are ruined by one flop.

Huego posted:

That part was definitely a sour note, especially coming more or less right after the slapstick robbery scene which feels like it was made for 8-year-olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Big Daddy Dispatch is out, so we can stop wondering what the worst of 2020 will be.

Episode 524 — Wonder Woman 1984
Episode 525 — Dolittle
Episode 526 — Fantasy Island
Episode 527 — Bad Boys For Life

Wait are you loving kidding me that Fantasy Island came out in 2020? God time is so meaningless now.