Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
He's Mike, from Canmore. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

codo27 posted:

Live in a small town where I'm "the guy". Get a call yesterday from one of my regulars, new smart tv for Christmas. It's the second one actually, they couldn't get the first one set up and brought it back. Them being dummies, I thought. It's a 58" Westinghouse Roku dealie, but the problem isn't their fault. I first attributed it to their lovely old 5mbps DSL, maybe the software package couldn't download properly and thus wouldn't install right. The software upgrade all looked fine, downloaded 100%, restarts, back to square one every time. You could just skip the internet setup and use basically as a dumb tv. Figured I'd download the software manually and use a flash drive. The tv doesn't exist on the Westinghouse website or the Roku software site. Just doesn't exist. Told em to go get a Hisense or TCL.

Did I mention they are stupid faithful to their service provider (Bell :negative:) and have an old rear end SD satellite receiver hooked up to their new 4k tv? I keep trying to tell them that it's not a relationship, there's no points for loyalty, but they settle for worthless internet and standard def "because I've been with them for 40 years, if they raise my bill I can call and complain and they will reverse it"
:negative:

How high are you right now

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason the LG GX would be a bad purchase over the CX except price? We had our minds set on the CX but it’s out of stock near us. The GX is within our budget.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LuckyCat posted:

Is there any reason the LG GX would be a bad purchase over the CX except price? We had our minds set on the CX but it’s out of stock near us. The GX is within our budget.

It's a slightly more expensive CX that's designed to be wall mounted (feet are still an option), if you don't mind paying the premium for a function that you're not using then by all means, go for it.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

LuckyCat posted:

I have it. It's a thinner, pricier, wall mount intended CX. So if you're fine with the price the only issue is if you will ever want it on a stand. Though there is an optional one I think.

...Efb

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 4, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's very classy looking. Make sure you've got a nice spot to mount it, and enjoy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I thought the G series had better sound?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

X900H arrived yesterday. Upgraded my Netflix to the 4K package and threw on Our Planet and good lord is this TV gorgeous compared to my old 2012 LCD.

I see what people mean about the screen reflections but to be honest it's no worse than my old screen so it doesn't really bother me.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Just ordered the H9G. Replacing an 7 year old Samsung. I'm using it solely for movies so console compatability isn't an consideration. Gets here Wednesday and I'm super pumped.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BonoMan posted:

I thought the G series had better sound?

Buying a G series OLED without surround sound for shame.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-85-class-h6510g-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6429407.p?skuId=6429407

Best Buy marked down their 85inch Hisense to $1000.

I hopped on it. Little worried about color quality and brightness but it’s 85inches for a thousand bucks and it’s gonna be playing Peppa Pig and Cocomelon the majority of the time for the kids. With some occasional video game playing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-85-class-h6510g-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6429407.p?skuId=6429407

Best Buy marked down their 85inch Hisense to $1000.

I hopped on it. Little worried about color quality and brightness but it’s 85inches for a thousand bucks and it’s gonna be playing Peppa Pig and Cocomelon the majority of the time for the kids. With some occasional video game playing.

My kids watch mostly 480p rips of Arthur on the 85" Sony X900H lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

you haven't seen early spongebob squarepants until you've seen it on an OLED

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

Buying a G series OLED without surround sound for shame.

Oh no I def would (luckily for everyone I can't afford an OLED) - just trying to get the info correct

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My friend & neighbor has 4 kids and I dunno why he bothered to buy a nice TV, or speakers. Ofc their TV is scarce few milimetres from their (high) ceiling and he has the receiver dead center on the fireplace and the center speaker to the right of it

I take it back though, I know why he bought the speakers at least, to drown out the kids. That said, I dunno why I bought it either cause I only watch it for me an hour or two a week. And when I'm in my office and she is in the living room she'll watch youtube on her laptop instead of the TV and it kills me. I cant imagine watching anything on small screens when a TV is available.

We had the family over for dinner new years day and both my nephews were eating with one hand and holding up their phones with netflix going with the other hand. They were in another room due to space constraints at the table but still. Its even worse, because they're both teens, not infectious children who need to be placated in order to get through a meal.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Apparently since there isn’t a general DVR/streaming media player thread in IYG, I must ask this here now.

Please recommend me a good DVR/streaming media player so we can stop paying Suddenlink every month for our rented TiVo box.

This Amazon Fire TV box appears to be the highest-rated thing on BestBuy.com with 1TB of storage. We don’t watch streaming channels at all; we just need something to pause/rewind/record live TV and maybe get some 4K content.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The reason why there's not a DVR thread is that there's not really much to discuss.

If you are going to do DVR with OTA, your choices are TiVo and the Fire TV box you linked.

If you are doing cable, your choices are TiVo with a cable card or your provider's DVR.

Even rolling your own for cable is pretty much dead now that SiliconDust doesn't seem interested in making a new cable card tuner.

To be absolutely clear, the FireTV box you linked ONLY works with OTA, you will not get access to channels through Suddenlink with it. Watching normal provider cable with a 3rd party box is pretty much dead. Also, if you don't do streaming, then you really don't get any 4k.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

Apparently since there isn’t a general DVR/streaming media player thread in IYG, I must ask this here now.

Please recommend me a good DVR/streaming media player so we can stop paying Suddenlink every month for our rented TiVo box.

This Amazon Fire TV box appears to be the highest-rated thing on BestBuy.com with 1TB of storage. We don’t watch streaming channels at all; we just need something to pause/rewind/record live TV and maybe get some 4K content.

I have a 1TB Tivo bolt with the old, no pre-roll ads OS and lifetime service I'm looking to get rid of if you want to make an offer. That said Tivo overall is on a long, slow decline that shows no signs of stopping, I wouldn't invest real money in the platform at this point. Oh yeah the cable company will also charge you to rent the cablecard you need as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Comedy option: YouTubeTV. You get local channels and unlimited DVR.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Cable Cablecard was a great idea until they let the cable companies decide it was like a $30 rental

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh hey quick tripreport on the Sofabaton U1 a few of us ordered.

It primarily works!

The app, pairing, adding a new device and custom config of buttons is surprisingly smooth.

Selecting the device is easy.

My main qualms are the buttons are too clicky and a little too hard to press. It's not like... tough... but requires just a bit more effort than I want.

Also I need to see if there's a bluetooth pairing for the TCL Roku TV. Right now it defaults to IR and I hate the IR. It has to be pointed right at the TV. But the BT pairing with the Chromecast (via the Shield setting) works perfectly.

There is a hair bit of lag compared to the native remotes.

Every once in a while, the stream pauses or stutters for a split second when I hit a command on the TCL Roku TV commands.

It's not as good as the Harmony's, but is actually way more capable than I expected for $35.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Comedy option: YouTubeTV. You get local channels and unlimited DVR.

I was actually thinking of canceling my Xfinity cable service with the X1 box and doing this instead. Why is it a comedy option?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Grey posted:

I was actually thinking of canceling my Xfinity cable service with the X1 box and doing this instead. Why is it a comedy option?

Because of the way this guy posts:

I. M. Gei posted:

I know there’s a “Cutting Cable” thread but AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no we aint fuckin doing that dumb poo poo ever

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I'm surprised so many people are still using cable.

I switched to streaming services years and haven't looked back. It's cheaper and I can choose what I want to watch.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Doesn't Plex do local TV/DVR if you have an antenna?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still have FiOS TV because my current discounts mean my TV part of the package is costing $35 (plus 4.99 for cable card) and I cancelled my TiVO service long ago and I'm basically just using it for live TV and an SSO source to log into channel apps. My work pays for the internet part of my bill which is only 100mbps, but perfectly fine for me right now.

I do have to check things out because I think some parts of my discounts were going to expire soon and that was going to be the point where I dumped the tv part of the FiOS completely. I've just been procrastinating since it's been so cheap, I use it, and I'll have to actually call them to get on an internet only plan.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I'm surprised so many people are still using cable.

I switched to streaming services years and haven't looked back. It's cheaper and I can choose what I want to watch.
Live sports.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I pay $160 a month for cable, but I also get 1GB Internet with the package which is most of the cost and work covers $100 of that. So for $60 a month I get 2 DVRs, most movie channels, and HBO Max is included as is the peakcock channel. I don't watch much TV though but it's cheaper than having a bunch of streaming services and I mainly use it for baseball anyway.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ah, makes sense, I don't really watch sports.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Rusty posted:

I pay $160 a month for cable, but I also get 1GB Internet with the package which is most of the cost and work covers $100 of that. So for $60 a month I get 2 DVRs, most movie channels, and HBO Max is included as is the peakcock channel. I don't watch much TV though but it's cheaper than having a bunch of streaming services and I mainly use it for baseball anyway.

Yeah... I figure I can save about $15 a month by switching from cable TV to YouTubeTV. But then I lose my local Fox Sports and all my TV watching will count against my datacap.

Does any streaming service do live TV in 4K?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Grey posted:

Because of what the other guy posted - but I just switched from Xfinity with my X1 to YouTubeTV. I watch lots of live TV and the YTV package had exactly what I wanted so it made sense.

Went from $200/month for 200/20 cable internet and second tier cable to $145/month for Gigabit internet and YouTubeTV.

Also cable prices are going up this year with Xfinity I believe and the data caps, which were already enforced in my area, were about to become more widespread enforced.

My local gigabit provider doesn't have data caps luckily.

YouTube TV does live local channels and live sports as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's virtually no live tv in 4k. Just a handful of sporting events and pretty much all of them allow you to stream it in better quality than your cable company would provide.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah I'd rather just use the MLB/NHL apps than go through a provider. Especially a Canadian one. :-/

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I. M. Gei posted:

TVs have streaming software built into them. Take the money you save by getting rid of cable and buy a ridiculously nice TV that has all you want built into it.

If you want live sports, there are apps for that — DVRs aren’t really a thing anymore that I know of beyond what you’ve mentioned.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Doesn't Plex do local TV/DVR if you have an antenna?

Yes, provided you have an HDHomerun tuner.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We were paying an extra $30, then $40, then $50/month extra for the FIOS TV package we weren't watching. It wasn't a ton, but I finally said "gently caress it" and just went straight FIOS internet. Not trying to figure out what they wanted to charge us more for every year was well worth it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BonoMan posted:

YouTube TV does live local channels and live sports as well.

Signed up for this recently -- my wife wanted to watch Anderson Cooper's NYE thing -- and it's crazy to me that YTTV only has stereo sound when even the broadcast channels have 5.1. Feels like the only reason to use these services is live sports, and surround sound adds quite a bit for basketball and football at least.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KS posted:

Signed up for this recently -- my wife wanted to watch Anderson Cooper's NYE thing -- and it's crazy to me that YTTV only has stereo sound when even the broadcast channels have 5.1. Feels like the only reason to use these services is live sports, and surround sound adds quite a bit for basketball and football at least.

Yeah obviously you'll get it through most on demand (and of course apps) but right now the broadcast is stereo. I'm guessing that they're assuming most people that actually use YTTV are just using a soundbar or whatnot. Maybe it'll come eventually.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

YTTV doesn't even offer my local sports channels, so for me it would be a complete waste of a whopping $65 a month. Deduct the $5 I'd pay for Locast for the local channels, and you're left paying $60/mo for mostly bundled garbage everyone was hoping to get away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

BonoMan posted:

Oh hey quick tripreport on the Sofabaton U1 a few of us ordered.

It primarily works!

The app, pairing, adding a new device and custom config of buttons is surprisingly smooth.

Selecting the device is easy.

My main qualms are the buttons are too clicky and a little too hard to press. It's not like... tough... but requires just a bit more effort than I want.

Also I need to see if there's a bluetooth pairing for the TCL Roku TV. Right now it defaults to IR and I hate the IR. It has to be pointed right at the TV. But the BT pairing with the Chromecast (via the Shield setting) works perfectly.

There is a hair bit of lag compared to the native remotes.

Every once in a while, the stream pauses or stutters for a split second when I hit a command on the TCL Roku TV commands.

It's not as good as the Harmony's, but is actually way more capable than I expected for $35.

2nded, my only beef with it is that it won't work with my PS5.

Works with my semi-ancient audio receiver as well, which we lost the remote for 10+ years ago.