Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fly Ricky posted:

Interesting, I read they had some new content so I figured the online must be good.

I have a pretty big gripe with some of the slowness; I died and apparently lost my saddle. Had to go pick it up and it was on the other side of a cliff, meaning I had to go around this long cliff to get it and bring it back. It must have taken twenty minutes and it was just to get to my mission. At that point it feels just as awful as if it actually happened to you.

So, for online, you expect there to be a few main sources of content, and they have focused those sources under five jobs. Each job kinda takes advantage of a different thing you do in the game, like firefights or traveling or hunting, to make money. The primary one is Trader, in my opinion. You make the most money off it at once.

So, step one of trader is to hunt stuff and bring it back to camp. It gets turned into wagonloads of profit for you to drive to other places. So you drive a wagon from A to B and then make money. Okay, so the next step that goes deeper is...?

There is no next step. That’s where it ends. Same with moonshiner or bounty hunter, you do the thing and that’s about it. There are some radiant style quests, but little more. Little customiZation like one would expect, little depth to it. One would expect this stuff to get deeper, to let you buy poo poo like custom running boards for your wagon, or armor, or a maxim gun for the back, or color choices, but that doesn’t exist.

There’s all these places that the game could become crazy cool and deep and fascinating but IIRC, there’s like three people working on RDR Online, everyone else is on GTA online over at Rockstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Anyone have a solution to the bug on PC where whenever you launch the game it sets the audio in Windows to 10% or so?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Maybe it would help to do a hard reset of your application sound preferences? Under Windows 10, go to Settings > System > Sound > App volume and device preferences > Reset.

No guarantee that it'll help, but it's worth trying, right?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
That's a bug introduced in the last big update, and from everything I've read no one has a solid solution; if you alt-tab or winkey out once the loading screens start (not the launcher screens), you can right-click your volume control icon in the system tray, select "Open volume mixer" and manually crank it back up.

Pain in the rear end, though.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

rotinaj posted:

So, for online, you expect there to be a few main sources of content, and they have focused those sources under five jobs. Each job kinda takes advantage of a different thing you do in the game, like firefights or traveling or hunting, to make money. The primary one is Trader, in my opinion. You make the most money off it at once.

So, step one of trader is to hunt stuff and bring it back to camp. It gets turned into wagonloads of profit for you to drive to other places. So you drive a wagon from A to B and then make money. Okay, so the next step that goes deeper is...?

There is no next step. That’s where it ends. Same with moonshiner or bounty hunter, you do the thing and that’s about it. There are some radiant style quests, but little more. Little customiZation like one would expect, little depth to it. One would expect this stuff to get deeper, to let you buy poo poo like custom running boards for your wagon, or armor, or a maxim gun for the back, or color choices, but that doesn’t exist.

There’s all these places that the game could become crazy cool and deep and fascinating but IIRC, there’s like three people working on RDR Online, everyone else is on GTA online over at Rockstar.

Bounty Hunter for Gold and Trader for cash is my strategy, and honestly the hunting/fishing in this game is fun enough that I'm very content doing that in a night. I just purchased the hunting wagon (ridiculously pricey) and I'm pretty excited to fill that thing with animal bits to fuel my empire of gristle.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

rotinaj posted:

...One would expect this stuff to get deeper, to let you buy poo poo like custom running boards for your wagon, or armor, or a maxim gun for the back, or color choices, but that doesn’t exist...

The closest thing to that is the new paint jobs for your bounty hunter wagon that were added with the latest bounty hunter level expansion. I'm guessing each role will get little upgrades like that one at a time over the next decade while they focus on milking the GTA Online cash cow.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

what the gently caress the hunting wagon only holds 5 deer carcasses? I'm never gonna hunt them to extinction at this rate :arghfist::clint:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

eleven extra elephants posted:

Anyone have a solution to the bug on PC where whenever you launch the game it sets the audio in Windows to 10% or so?

Yeah I've just noticed this after not playing for 3 months or so. Really annoying

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Bounty Hunter for Gold and Trader for cash is my strategy, and honestly the hunting/fishing in this game is fun enough that I'm very content doing that in a night. I just purchased the hunting wagon (ridiculously pricey) and I'm pretty excited to fill that thing with animal bits to fuel my empire of gristle.

Sure, but my point is that I was doing a lotta hunting and fishing in singleplayer, didn't need to be online for that. The devs for online just didn't make a whole lot of content that is 100% specific to online. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but I personally have gotten a little jaded in just a few months of playing RDO, I can't imagine what day one players must feel.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

just wait until you get naturalist, your empire will be fueled only by the rarest and most endangered gristle, and in half the time too

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Cool things in the naturalist update:

Marble fox coat
Shadow buck coat
The chatelaine belt charm you get at rank 20

The end

Madam Nazar forever

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I've been playing since beta and it's definitely a pick up put down game for me at this point. At rank 250 and running out of things to buy I'll log on when a new update comes out or when I really want to play.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Capn Beeb posted:

Cool things in the naturalist update:

Marble fox coat
Shadow buck coat
The chatelaine belt charm you get at rank 20

The end

Madam Nazar forever

Wolf hoodies.
Cougar hoodies.
Cougar emote.

:colbert:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Ygolonac posted:

That's a bug introduced in the last big update, and from everything I've read no one has a solid solution; if you alt-tab or winkey out once the loading screens start (not the launcher screens), you can right-click your volume control icon in the system tray, select "Open volume mixer" and manually crank it back up.

Pain in the rear end, though.

I face a similar issue too with Discord and its streaming lovingly cranking it down on other games and apps. A faster interface I've found is to press the Xbox button if you got that and use the mixer on the overlay there.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Sure, but my point is that I was doing a lotta hunting and fishing in singleplayer, didn't need to be online for that. The devs for online just didn't make a whole lot of content that is 100% specific to online. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but I personally have gotten a little jaded in just a few months of playing RDO, I can't imagine what day one players must feel.

Ohh yeah I never bothered buying the single player, so my only exposure has been buying RDO on sale for five bucks. incredible value imo

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

just wait until you get naturalist, your empire will be fueled only by the rarest and most endangered gristle, and in half the time too

killing regular animals has hit diminishing entertainment returns so this will be my next move.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Just wrapped up single player last night. Game good. Story good. Best video game story I’ve ever experienced, no joke. I’ll have more thoughts later but holy poo poo that was a ride.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

killing regular animals has hit diminishing entertainment returns so this will be my next move.

Start going archer, see how many deer you can plonk in one deadeye activation.

Think my best was three kills/one gutshot, but that last was because it *was* a targeted headshot, running away, and the fucker jumped. White tail now red and with feathers.

If you're ballsy (and better at game than me :suicide:), you can try that with the random stranger being trapped by wolves or cougars. (Note: it seems to me that those critters are buffed, because deadeye brain shots, even with rifles, are not one-shot-stops.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

what the gently caress the hunting wagon only holds 5 deer carcasses? I'm never gonna hunt them to extinction at this rate :arghfist::clint:

It also holds 40 skins (the kind that lay flat, not huge ones). Sometimes when I kill a wolf pack I'll skin em and toss the pelts in the wagon, which trivializes the "donate three predator skins or carcasses" daily. If any of you are still doing dailies.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Babbygators are good for pred-skins, but actually require work, since they're skittish and will scarper when hearing gunfire. (Adults will almost always just sit there, unless you only wound them, get too close, or there's a Legendary around.) Also, they only spawn in certain areas, and not always.

Remember also that gator teeth count for the "loot three collectables from NPC enemies" daily, as well.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

This game is full of AFK on public pvp lobbies, crushingly boring.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Is anyone else on PS4 running into a bug in the barbershop where you can't scroll up and down in the hairstyle menu? This is hindering my ability to take advantage of free haircuts.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Ygolonac posted:

Start going archer, see how many deer you can plonk in one deadeye activation.

Think my best was three kills/one gutshot, but that last was because it *was* a targeted headshot, running away, and the fucker jumped. White tail now red and with feathers.

If you're ballsy (and better at game than me :suicide:), you can try that with the random stranger being trapped by wolves or cougars. (Note: it seems to me that those critters are buffed, because deadeye brain shots, even with rifles, are not one-shot-stops.)

I have never used dead eye lmao, new goal. I exclusively bow hunt, to avoid scaring the rest of the wildlife away, and because there seems to be a wolf pack stalking me and arrows put them down way faster than lead.

FuturePastNow posted:

It also holds 40 skins (the kind that lay flat, not huge ones).

this is extremely good to know. I wish discarding from the wagon let you break down the carcasses after.

e: ok blowing up people's cars or throwing them in the river in gta5 is good clean fun, but griefers who kill your horse are sociopaths. what did Charlie ever do to you, you maniacs?!

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 8, 2021

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm replaying the story again on PC and for all it's faults the games attention to detail is incredible.

Two of the radiant missions:

1) In the one where the Foreman asks you to kill the wolves attacking his workers: I killed all 3, skinned them and put 2 on my horse which kept running away, I decided to walk back to the Foreman carrying the third skin and whistled the horse so it would hopefully arrive by then. When I arrived the foreman said something along the lines of 'by the looks of the wolf skin you're carrying you did what I asked'.

2) The mission where the railway Foreman asks you to find his missing money and you follow the junior to discover he's the thief: he usually runs away after you discover his stash and in my PS4 save I let him, this time I hogtied him and brought him back to the railroad camp where I was aggroed by one of the workers saying they don't tolerate my actions. At that point I thought the game didn't recognise what I was trying to do and got off my horse to free him, however you can actually defuse the situation with Arthur telling the aggroed worker that the junior is the thief and you're bringing him to the Foreman.

Obviously nothing too crazy here but it is genuinely refreshing to have a game acknowledge actions you take outside of what it expects.

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 14, 2021

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Dick Jones posted:

Is anyone else on PS4 running into a bug in the barbershop where you can't scroll up and down in the hairstyle menu? This is hindering my ability to take advantage of free haircuts.

Actually yeah, the cursor locks up for me when I scroll to the top or bottom option

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Finally have started in with this, pal helped me get together the 10 gold to get the bounty license so I have at least a *little* bit of content on my own, but is there seriously no way to hold more than the bare minimum of ammo??? All the bandoliers are just cosmectic and only 100 rifle bullets is an insanely tiny amount. Am I doomed to be constantly finding stores or post offices to refill?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the current outlaw pass actually has ammo capacity upgrades scattered throughout it, might be worth ponying up for once you save up enough gold since the levels are retroactive

not sure how much longer you have to grind out the levels / gold before it goes away though

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

the current outlaw pass actually has ammo capacity upgrades scattered throughout it, might be worth ponying up for once you save up enough gold since the levels are retroactive

not sure how much longer you have to grind out the levels / gold before it goes away though

I believe I saw the reward have a end use date of March 31st.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yeah, bandoliers are cosmetic-only in Online. However, you have plain rounds, split-point (if you make them/get rewarded from Outlaw pass or whatever), Express and High Velocity. Might have Explosive as well, but IIRC that's a really low amount. (I'm all-Express for everything except splits for my Yellowboy carbine. Still, maxed out all my ammo stores as soon as I could spare the cash, even though I never use autoloading pistols, for example.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dual wielding semi-auto pistols might be the biggest non-gold money sink in the game

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Dual wielding semi-auto pistols might be the biggest non-gold money sink in the game

You're saying I don't have to shoot him 12 times in the chest after he's already dead?!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Good to note that the outlaw pass rewards you with a cumulative 30 gold bars when you hit 90-something, so it literally pays for itself if you have the ten bars off reward. Also there's a cat belt buckle

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dick Jones posted:

It's not just the PS4, it's doing it to me on the PC too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Flannelette posted:

You're saying I don't have to shoot him 12 times in the chest after he's already dead?!

But it's so much fun!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Note that the capacity upgrades only boost your normal ammo capacity. So in this case you get 200 repeater bullets, but can still only carry 100 split points/high velocities/expressesseses/explosives

This really stung when I got the shotgun capacity upgrade and can still only carry 60 slugs :argh:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"If you're standing next to a wall badguy you know I'm going to have to waste all my bullets pinning you to it, it's the cowboy movie law"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just started playing red dead online on my series X since it was like two dollars cause of coupon I had. Goddamn can everything kill you and really kill you. I don’t think I’ve been able to kill another player online and I’ve gotten killed a ton by other players, because I can’t raise my white flag for some reason, I assume it’s just initial thing. I got the moonshiner license and also the bounty Hunter one, because I had that cheap initial gold offer.

Does anyone have any just general tips on how to start out when you’re playing for the first few hours? I’ve done a few of the story missions, but I haven’t really done anything with the sheriff’s yet.

I still have to finish the story on my PS4 Pro, but I’ve switched over the series X, it’s a a lot quieter to play at night (also kids loving playing Lego games with their mom), but I figured for a few dollars it would be to nice to have it on the system I’m using more often.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Just started playing red dead online on my series X since it was like two dollars cause of coupon I had. Goddamn can everything kill you and really kill you. I don’t think I’ve been able to kill another player online and I’ve gotten killed a ton by other players, because I can’t raise my white flag for some reason, I assume it’s just initial thing. I got the moonshiner license and also the bounty Hunter one, because I had that cheap initial gold offer.

Does anyone have any just general tips on how to start out when you’re playing for the first few hours? I’ve done a few of the story missions, but I haven’t really done anything with the sheriff’s yet.

I still have to finish the story on my PS4 Pro, but I’ve switched over the series X, it’s a a lot quieter to play at night (also kids loving playing Lego games with their mom), but I figured for a few dollars it would be to nice to have it on the system I’m using more often.

Make sure you are in Defensive stance when you log in, I think it's right on the Dpad, then go to Online Options, then make sure it's on Defensive stance and not Offensive. Doing missions can change you into offensive and not change you back after you're done.

Get the ability card Paint it Black for your deadeye and if you meet hostile players use your deadeye to kill them before they do it to you, makes it easy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! I hadn’t tried the menu option. I had always though it was only an option to use in front of the flag itself. However, when I tried it in the past the game wouldn’t let me do it.

I have PIB and I’ll try and make more use of it. I just have to say I’m still awestruck by how gorgeous the landscape looks in the game there’s still times where you think for a second it’s like this could’ve just been like a photo of real life.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks! I hadn’t tried the menu option. I had always though it was only an option to use in front of the flag itself. However, when I tried it in the past the game wouldn’t let me do it.

I have PIB and I’ll try and make more use of it. I just have to say I’m still awestruck by how gorgeous the landscape looks in the game there’s still times where you think for a second it’s like this could’ve just been like a photo of real life.

As for money and gold just do your dailies for gold and try to find goons doing moonshine/ trade runs for cash. I play with my kid and we like doing bounty hunter stuff together. I know that I will have to do a trade run and moonshiner run soon so you can hit me up tomorrow if you want to jump in for some free getting ya going cash. GT is the same as my user name. We normally play for a few hours on Sunday’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adregan posted:

As for money and gold just do your dailies for gold and try to find goons doing moonshine/ trade runs for cash. I play with my kid and we like doing bounty hunter stuff together. I know that I will have to do a trade run and moonshiner run soon so you can hit me up tomorrow if you want to jump in for some free getting ya going cash. GT is the same as my user name. We normally play for a few hours on Sunday’s.

Thank you for the kind offer. I’d love to do that. I’ll add it to my today and pm you mine. This should be a bunch of fine. Never had a chance to do more online with others in RDO then get killed in that death match game they have.