Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My main issue with Letterkenny is that the very first scene in the very first episode is about 50 times funnier than anything else in the show. The rest is still pretty good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

My main issue with Letterkenny is that the very first scene in the very first episode is about 50 times funnier than anything else in the show. The rest is still pretty good though

Oh my god yes, that first scene was perfect. I went in with low expectations but that scene had me cracking up within the first 30 seconds.

I like S1 a lot, with the exception of the fart episode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Letterkenny is fun but definitely rest on its laurels. The jokes are either 1) clever/funny wordplay or 2) wacky local types. And I think every episode/season finale ends with a slow motion sequence. Half of those are Wayne lighting a cigarette, unbuttoning his sleeves, flicking away the cigarette, and then punching someone in the face. But good on them for pumping out episodes, they're on season 9 and it's only been around for going on 5 years.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Letterkenny has really high highs but man, some of the characters are just terrible. Stuart had a good arc in the first couple seasons and then him and the skids just became parodies of themselves. Can't stand any scene with just them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I can’t stand Gail, I get her whole thing is just being an over the top horndog but she feels really over the top in a show full of over the top broad strokes type stuff.

I will say that even when the show isn’t hitting the highs it’s still great background noise while I’m doing something else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LetterKenny is weird because on its surface, isolated I don't find it funny at all. But if I start playing the episodes it just kind of lulls me in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trailer Park Boys is also garbage and I've seen a ton of that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Trailer Park Boys started strong but I haven’t enjoyed anything past like S4.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Discovery plus is out and doesn't have Chopped :psyduck: what is the point

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheAardvark posted:

No PS4 app for Discovery+, what the hell?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What’s Discovery +‘s Mythbusters and How It’s Made selection like?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What’s Discovery +‘s Mythbusters and How It’s Made selection like?

Looks like 100% of both are on there (like 20 seasons each)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how much shorter an episode of Mythbusters is when you cut out all the "coming up" commercial breaks and recap sections.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taskmaster's New Year's Treat is lovely. Contestants with some serious charisma.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I've never seen Hamilton, and I never heard of Linda Manuel Miranda before the Hamilton craze started.

Is he funny or something?

His parents were rich and well connected to the New York Democratic Party establishment.

TheAardvark posted:

Does it have Good Eats?

Was really pissed that Food Network didn't show Twas the Night Before Good Eats this year. No joke, it's one of the few Christmas specials I watch every year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

Does it have Good Eats?

Yeah, all 15 seasons of Good Eats are on Discovery+.

Also, Chopped is going to have its own dedicated channel on the service starting on January 29. I'm guessing it's not on the service just yet because of some sort of pre-existing streaming exclusivity deals that Discovery has with Netflix and Hulu.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Chopped is like 30% of the reason I still have Hulu and I have zero interest in subbing to yet another streaming service for it. I hate this constant “we gotta have our own app!” bullshit. Can’t wait for half of them to fail and eventually fold their libraries back into the big services.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well this complicates things.

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1346217322130894857

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Huh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She was a Bind girl so I'm not shocked by this development.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You Only Live Twice

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Yeah, all 15 seasons of Good Eats are on Discovery+.

Also, Chopped is going to have its own dedicated channel on the service starting on January 29. I'm guessing it's not on the service just yet because of some sort of pre-existing streaming exclusivity deals that Discovery has with Netflix and Hulu.

They make it seem like one of the chopped spin-offs or a new iteration will debut on the service; my only source is the 30 second commerical that tried to cram everything into it.

I'm holding out for now, but this poo poo gotta get reigned in some how.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Holy poo poo, the end of episode 6 of Alice in Borderland is loving bonkers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished Alice in Borderland. I thought it was pretty fun. They did a good job of giving depth to some of the characters that could have just been one note and the mystery of what exactly is going on is fun. Mixed feelings on the trans representation though. The character is totally a badass and I thought they handled the characterization well but they didn't actually get a trans actress for the part, which is disappointing.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
His Dark Materials is very competent but its tone is just so dour. Usually anytime Lyra is doing something the show is enjoyable but anyone other than that, bleh. Ruth Wilson is trying her best but again, her scenes are just so serious and not that compelling. LMM is horrendous casting as well.

Its opening owns though. Great theme and when it does that effect with the worlds collapsing on each other it makes me feel like I'm tripping out for about 10 seconds every time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Honestly I've been waiting for 20 years to see the cutting a hole in the air effect done and I finally got to see it so for that alone I'm satisfied.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder to everyone including myself that there’s only six or so more days left to take part in the TVIV top 2020 shows thing!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Reminder to everyone including myself that there’s only six or so more days left to take part in the TVIV top 2020 shows thing!

I'm still writing my list. And side eyeing a few shows that I feel guilty about not having watched.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Medullah posted:

You Only Live Twice

it's now die another day

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1346467752224018432

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Webmaster at IsTanyaRobertsDead.com having a busy couple of days.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="el oso" post="511290972"]
His Dark Materials is very competent but its tone is just so dour.

It's not like the books they were adapted from was a laugh riot.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

[quote="el oso" post="511290972"]
His Dark Materials is very competent but its tone is just so dour.

It's not like the books they were adapted from was a laugh riot.

They did have a sense of wonder and discovery though. Even the third book where it was just full-on ranting and raving about how religion is a lie and god is dead was still doing cool stuff like creating the race of creatures with wheels or inventing an entirely new atheistic afterlife myth while everything in the TV show (or at least the one season I watched before giving up) is just very drab and flat and grey. They managed to make a fight to the death between polar bear royalty dressed in gold just be two grey flubbers wrestling in the shadows of a grey cave.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

muscles like this! posted:

Finished Alice in Borderland. I thought it was pretty fun. They did a good job of giving depth to some of the characters that could have just been one note and the mystery of what exactly is going on is fun. Mixed feelings on the trans representation though. The character is totally a badass and I thought they handled the characterization well but they didn't actually get a trans actress for the part, which is disappointing.

I don't have an opinion on that yet, only halfway through.. but I will say it is enraging how no one ever seems to be in an appropriate amount of rush. 3 seconds left on a timer that'll kill me? I'll wait until .1 seconds to start moving, or figuring things out, or whatever. Repeat ad nauseum

E, for example, (e4) 2 hour time limit with the description "distance". 10 minutes on the timer down with no one even thinking "we should figure out what makes this number go up" ahhhhhh you've seen people die for real why are you treating all this like a game still

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 5, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its like a weird thing because they introduce the game classifications but only seem to care about Hearts because the game in ep 4 is supposed to be wits, not physical but they don't think of that at all.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

muscles like this! posted:

Its like a weird thing because they introduce the game classifications but only seem to care about Hearts because the game in ep 4 is supposed to be wits, not physical but they don't think of that at all.

It was clubs wasn't it? Which means team game, which means it's obviously not "who gets the furthest".

I think Alice in Borderland has to be treated like a true horror movie and you just have to accept that everyone has a 70 IQ. Anything else is just infuriating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cobra Kai is such a loving stupid show lmao but I still like it except for the Kreese stuff which is so tiresome

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Kreese stuff isn't great but I can't help but love it whenever Martin Kove does that poo poo eating grin

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/MisterABK/status/1346764056284151809

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Rhyno posted:

Hamilton sucks.

I said what I said.

:agreed:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not really. He’s obviously talented, but in a way that’s quite cringeworthy. I like Broadway and have seen Hamilton, but can’t disagree with the statement that it’s like someone saying ‘I’m not like your other history teachers, I’m cool’ or it being like Captain Dan.

:aaaaa: Yes, this is exactly it. I've also seen it described as a super long Schoolhouse Rock bit, but I think that's an insult to Schoolhouse Rock.

One of my semi-goon friends watched it multiple times in the theater with the original cast, and I have no idea how. My mom & I watched it once on Disney+, pretty much turned to each other and said "why the gently caress do people like this?", and then went on with our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Hamilton sucks.

I said what I said.

Counterpoint: Hamilton is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR5YzU8y-jA