Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MononcQc posted:

lognoise 37 minutes ago [–]

I'd work for the devil himself for 500k/year, and just convince myself he was misunderstood.

"Blood on your hands" - oh boo-boo.

Blood washes out.

turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
1. Get paid a lot of money
2. Use your money to oppose the people who gave it to you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

for a while I told myself that extracting a maximal amount of money for immoral work would be best but if they pay you the money that’s because you provide more than you take.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i think there's like, a continuum

some companies are so immoral that working for them in any capacity taints your soul. others are more banal, and as long as you're not specifically working on evil things yourself then you're okay.

i wouldn't accept a job at facebook, for example

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got an offer at a tech major and then used it to squeeze more money out of a job i was actually gonna take

i feel thats ethical

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

MononcQc posted:

for a while I told myself that extracting a maximal amount of money for immoral work would be best but if they pay you the money that’s because you provide more than you take.

You just need to be more efficient with how you use it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I worked at a company that did surveillance and am working gig economy for a company that got bought for uber so I definitely need an exit

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Truman Peyote posted:

drat i knew schools in the US were underfunded but no books about history????

they might be controversial and wind up causing all sorts of parent meetings

since conservatives get all aggressive about cancelling anything that doesn’t fit their worldview, like accurate history, especially about the United States

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
never had trouble finding a couple dozen copies of the adventures of huckleberry finn though

wonder why

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

im at least gonna get a hug out of that

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

xtal posted:

1. Get paid a lot of money
2. Use your money to oppose the people who gave it to you
make the check out to T. Kaszcynski, care of ADX Florence, Colorado, USA

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
literally my job

https://twitter.com/aaronwjohn/status/1293565707653918721

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

quote:

Seems to me that the organizers are using a union to push their own personal agendas (which they otherwise don't have the power to push) which seems like the perfect way to form a corrupt union that harms workers.

quote:

I wish Google well on whatever it (legally) pursues to fight this. I see them as a company that has gone from great to now becoming mediocre, and whose employees are destroying it from within.

Maybe those clever interview quizzes should be updated to identify and filter out political zealots.

quote:

The company is slowly dying internally from ideologically possessed people.

Not that that is a bad thing, the great people there will leave for better things.

I see that the hackers are taking word of alphabet unionization well.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

its a pretty fun thread to watch peoples brains absolutely melt and flail trying to reconcile "software isnt manufacturing. google already has the most generous and competitive compensation possible in a perfectly efficient, skill-based market! they cant possibly pay any more!" with alphabet still making $300k+ excess profit per employee. 30 year old tech bro baby's first surplus value

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Breakfast All Day posted:

its a pretty fun thread to watch peoples brains absolutely melt

bold of you to assume hn posters have brains

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Eh like with previous union threads, there's a healthy amount of pro-unionization sentiment pushing back at the temporarily embarrassed unicorn founders

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
individual peeps on hn can have deec views and stuff, it's just that the lack of :10bux: and the vc backing means that chuds and libertarians and poo poo have a strong foothold

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol at the idea that what's "holding back google" is radical ideology and not, say, the relentless chasing of every cent from advertising by harvesting personal data and inability to execute a product anybody wants outside of it for the last decade

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only tech majors that have a proven ability to do more than one thing are microsoft and amazon, p much

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the only tech majors that have a proven ability to do more than one thing are microsoft and amazon, p much

And even then, they need better UI folks. Amazon's UI is terrible if you stray from the beaten path. Amazon Video's is only a little better than BBC iPlayer and that isn't saying much.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol at the idea that what's "holding back google" is radical ideology and not, say, the relentless chasing of every cent from advertising by harvesting personal data and inability to execute a product anybody wants outside of it for the last decade

toothbrush test lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
by doin more than one thing i mean fuckin printing cash with it, so its amazon with exactly three things (the shop, prime membership and aws) and microsoft w three and a half (azure, office, windows, linkedin maybe)

goog has like one and a half (search, android is the half), fb has precisely one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

apple used to do phones and computers well. their phones are still the shiniest turd, idk about their computers any more because I don't know what's going on with the apple silicon really. before that, though, they weren't very good but were kind of bouncing back

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

apple used to do phones and computers well. their phones are still the shiniest turd, idk about their computers any more because I don't know what's going on with the apple silicon really. before that, though, they weren't very good but were kind of bouncing back

their computers are basically negligible business in comparison to phones

if they had a half, that half would actually be services. but services is a clever way to say the app store, and does that really count as not-the-phones?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as usual, apple’s colossal flop disgusting failures would be runaway successes if they weren’t being compared to the iphone

apple’s wearables division brings in about half as much revenue as facebook

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

as usual, apple’s colossal flop disgusting failures would be runaway successes if they weren’t being compared to the iphone

same with nearly every other one of the tech majors' businesses-that-dont-fuckin-print-money, really. money is a renormalized quantity!

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
the only reason to buy a mac is to make an iphone app

in other words, macs are garbage computers for jerks

(full disclosure: i own 2 macbooks. iphone apps make money, dammit)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
apples basic business model is making consumer electronics that run ios and selling those at a nice margin, and also selling subscription services to run on those devices (at an even nicer margin)

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

vecinu 6 hours ago [–]

> SF is not there [the density of european cities] yet
It will not get anywhere near the feel of European cities, I've lived in both. Until they fix their serious housing issues with homeless / mentally-ill people camping on sidewalks and creating a hostile environment around the downtown core, it will never attract people to walk or bike.

I lived around SoMa for a decade and I HATE cars with a passion but slowly found myself walking and biking less and less as the years passed. I hated having to constantly scan my surroundings so I don't get mugged / attacked, random ill people screaming or spitting at me and having my locked bike stolen.

The best part about living in European cities was how safe it was to walk or bike to critical places.

good news everybody, american cities can finally stop being human-hostile parking lot tumors once we just exterminate all the unhoused (and uh...the "types" that don't exist in europe *wink*) people!

he goes on to blame everything on red tape beaurocracy and regulation. hmm, wonder what it is about europe that enables them to have well planned cities :thunk:

Breakfast All Day fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 8, 2021

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
What a loving baby

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

top comment on the story about Apple suspending parler

nicbou 1 hour ago [–]

Someone brought an interesting perspective in another thread and I can't shake it off.
The other side keeps deplatforming them. Their legal cases are rejected. The mainstream media refuses to take them seriously. We're not even listening to them, because it's science and they're *ists if they disagree. We're not debating anymore. We just assume we're right.
We are slowly squeezing a significant segment of the population out of public debate, and they are powerless to stop it. Is it surprising that they are furious about it, and explode in unpredictable ways? Wouldn't you do the same?
E: I accidentally hit submit halfway through my argument. You might be replying to a really different comment

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"my own judicial appointments laughed me out of court and a private company doesn't want me to stage coups from their property. Mods??????"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

nicbou 1 hour ago [–]

Someone brought an interesting perspective in another thread and I can't shake it off.
The other side keeps deplatforming them. Their legal cases are rejected. The mainstream media refuses to take them seriously. We're not even listening to them, because it's science and they're *ists if they disagree. We're not debating anymore. We just assume we're right.
We are slowly squeezing a significant segment of the population out of public debate, and they are powerless to stop it. Is it surprising that they are furious about it, and explode in unpredictable ways? Wouldn't you do the same?
E: I accidentally hit submit halfway through my argument. You might be replying to a really different comment

This is perversion

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

nicbou 1 hour ago [–]

just imagine i posted the SA post about the grocery list chess troll

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

Jose Valasquez posted:

nicbou 1 hour ago [–]

aside from the huge lol about "Their legal cases are rejected"

i invite whoever wrote this to post some of the "content" onto hn, just so everyone sees that theyre missing out on

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*in an extremely federal judge voice* hmmmm these claims are completely meritless and fail as a matter of law. but what if dismissing the suit hurts their feelings?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

dash2 5 hours ago [–]

I live round the corner from a UK housing estate with a drugs problem. I very often deeply wish that 60-80% of my local tax money would go to the police.
I often also frankly wish that 10% of it would fund a Sharia-style hangman, but perhaps that is my inner misanthrope.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

parler was taken down so lots of idiots coming out

throwaway80332 41 minutes ago [–]

So called "liberals" have a habit of trying to get conservative forums shut down by spamming them with actually illegal posts, not to mention infiltrating the moderator teams, etc. And why not, they don't have to work so they have all the time in the world.
I have never used Parler so how can I know if that's what's going on here, but it is standard practice on i.e. reddit. This makes the whole point of only allowing "reasonable" speech pretty moot. Free speech really is a black and white issue, even if you would never post anything unreasonable yourself.

——————

Andrew_nenakhov 3 hours ago [–]

Paradox of Tolerance is a hypocritical bullshit. If you are tolerant with exceptions, you are intolerant, period.
People who refer to it hypocritically pretend to have a higher moral ground than their opponents. In fact, they are more or less the same. Truly tolerant people should win the other side with their virtue, and yes, it insanely harder. But it's not hypocrisy.

LordDragonfang 2 hours ago [–]

So would you agree with a statement that "we should just be tolerant of the KKK and win them to our side with virtue", then?
Note that this isn't hyperbole for rhetorical effect, that is literally the kind of intolerance that the paradox of tolerance is based on, and seems to be what you're advocating, by extension.

Andrew_nenakhov 2 hours ago [–]

Yes, I fully agree with that statement. You can't just beat the racists from KKK into submission. You can only show them that their convictions are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

vincentmarle 3 hours ago [–]

Post-war Europe tends to agree with you: there is a good reason why there are limitations on free speech in many Western European countries. Fascism is simply too big of a threat to tolerate.

fapjacks 2 hours ago [–]

Well post-war Europe didn't invent the internet or land on the moon. You have your way of doing things, we have ours. Also sort of ironic that you would advocate the very same tools that the fascists themselves used to control and manipulate the public.