Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
How the gently caress did Star Trek Disco get made? every clip I see is baffling. it looks and feels nothing like Star trek other than the federation is in it, and yet they spend like 10million $ per episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh lmao the grey jedi idea is from a video game? Well that explains a lot.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Gripweed posted:

I know that was unrelated to the thing you said, Larry, but really grey Jedi and the idea of balance being somewhere between the "Light Side" and the Dark Side is so loving stupid. People who grew up and are no longer satisfied with the simple good vs evil morality of Star Wars but also absolutely refuse to read grown up books or watch grown up movies, so they want the children's fiction they still compulsively gorge on to make a pathetic stupid gesture towards moral complexity so they can feel like they aren't just watching content made for 8 year olds.

Yeah this. Star Wars morality is pretty simple and the franchise is mostly aimed at people 10-12 and up. You can do more with it like KOTOR, and question some of the ideas of a rigid and dogmatic Jedi order or the Force that seems to override individual will. But it’s difficult to pull off and beyond the skill of 99% of the writers who have worked on the franchise.

You’re mostly just going to get muddled poo poo that goes nowhere like the Cantobite arms dealers and “let the past die” in TLJ. Even Lucas seemed to intend for the Clone Wars in the prequels to be more morally nuanced. You see this in the ROS title crawl “there are heroes on both sides” and early in AotC when it seems that the Confederacy is a response to how lovely and corrupt the Republic is. But he couldn’t seem to pull it off and the Confederacy just devolves into generic bad guys.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

KOTOR 2 was bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

oh lmao the grey jedi idea is from a video game? Well that explains a lot.

I think it's a misread of that character. She was more anti-Force altogether.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hold on, as it's presented in the prequels and KOTOR, the opposite extreme to the dark side isn't just not using it, it's being so afraid of strong feelings that they rip Force using kids away from their families when they're too young to remember them and force them to live a hosed up emotionally celibate monastic life. The first game's "grey Jedi", Jolee, is theoretically at a midpoint between good and evil but is basically written as a dude who wants to do good things with his magic powers but doesn't like the child snatching boredom cult because Bioware's writers struggle with any concept more complicated than shining heroes and puppy kicking villains.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 5, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

kotor 2, and kreia, rock cock

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Grey Jedi were introduced in the first KOTOR game via the most boring character imaginable, so I don't blame anyone for misremembering.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Grey Jedi were introduced in the first KOTOR game via the most boring character imaginable, so I don't blame anyone for misremembering.

Jolee isn't really Grey, he just got retconned as Grey cause his Dark/Light meter was close to the middle. He's presented in game as a light Jedi. After KOTOR 2 though fans were like "Jolee Bindo is totally a Grey Jedi," even though he actually turns on you the moment you turn dark.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Jedi is a spectrum

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

luchajones posted:

Jedi is a spectrum

of bad

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The cheetah lady was way more boring than Jolee.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Probably been said, but mike will never be able to finish a new release again in the post-theater era

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

And yet, it's still a more interesting idea than anything the prequels did.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Probably been said, but mike will never be able to finish a new release again in the post-theater era

Every review will be Mike saying “I left after twenty minutes” and then describe what finally pushed him over the edge and made him leave. Some guy looking at his phone, the previews went on too long, the popcorn ran out, people were talking, he ran through his skull of vodka, etc

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gripweed posted:

The OT also pretty clearly establishes that there's The Force, which is a basic universal concept that underpins all life, and the Dark Side, which is giving in to hate and anger and fear and gaining destructive power at the expense of being a hosed up evil monster man. But that didn't stop legions of Star Wars fans from deciding that the truth is somewhere in the middle, and there should be "grey Jedi" who understand that recognizing the energy that binds all life together and getting really loving angry and murdering people with lightning are actually just two extremes on the same spectrum and the truth is somewhere in the middle

Ah, Jedi Centrism :hmmyes:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ah, Jedi Centrism :hmmyes:

Just as useless as political centrists as well.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1346351479540633606?s=21

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMjZHaZ5SJc&t=4s

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I watched High Life the weird the A24 sci-fi movie with Robert Paterson. It’s uhmm definitely a movie... Let’s just say that I’m shocked that it wasn’t Jay’s favorite film of 2019, since its filled to the brim with sex weirdo stuff.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 5, 2021

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My brother has just started watching HITB

i mostly skipped them

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Romes128 posted:

Is that the one with the nipples??

Asking for a friend.

It's funny how the batsuit having nipples because it was modeled after roman armor is still something people are weird about 25 years later but every other female comic book character having a ridiculous costume is just something that passes without comment.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

they should go all in for the next batsuit. Nipples and a mold of his dong and balls. gently caress that cod piece noise.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's funny how the batsuit having nipples because it was modeled after roman armor is still something people are weird about 25 years later but every other female comic book character having a ridiculous costume is just something that passes without comment.

Bat-armor Backlash: Sexual Imperialism in Film

In this thesis paper I will firmly establish why Joel Schumacher’s Batman films, with their bold display of male nipples, are the most important artistic works of the 20th century...

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 5, 2021

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

And what does Batman do when he gets a boner? Those suits looks like it has no room for an erection.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

she already knew how to eat

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

luchajones posted:

And what does Batman do when he gets a boner? Those suits looks like it has no room for an erection.

batman has never gotten a boner

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

luchajones posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/batman-burt-ward-penis-pills-shrink-abc-adam-west-a9279391.html

learn your history :mad:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
batman's suit muscles actually weren't based the ancient roman anatomical cuirass, batman is just a weirdo

there's a cut scene in batman (1989), viewable in the comic adaptation of the script, where vicki vale says "why does your suit have moulded rubber muscles? kinda weird" and batman gets extremely flustered and starts stammering about aerodynamics and it's clear that he just really likes the idea of strapping big fake muscles to his body for whatever reason. this is why she does not return for the sequel

the addition of nipples to the suit in batman forever was a winking reference to this, as was the addition to the suit in batman & robin of a butthole and taint

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The 90 Day Fiancé people are pissed at what a sham this is, in case anyone was wondering.

Also I watched the 4K remaster of The Two Towers and holy gently caress this movie rules also the incredible picture quality along with this 20 year old CGI makes the film look like a Roger Rabbit sequel

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cubone posted:

batman's suit muscles actually weren't based the ancient roman anatomical cuirass, batman is just a weirdo

there's a cut scene in batman (1989), viewable in the comic adaptation of the script, where vicki vale says "why does your suit have moulded rubber muscles? kinda weird" and batman gets extremely flustered and starts stammering about aerodynamics and it's clear that he just really likes the idea of strapping big fake muscles to his body for whatever reason. this is why she does not return for the sequel

the addition of nipples to the suit in batman forever was a winking reference to this, as was the addition to the suit in batman & robin of a butthole and taint

Is WB making this Batman?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Taintrunner posted:

Also I watched the 4K remaster of The Two Towers and holy gently caress this movie rules also the incredible picture quality along with this 20 year old CGI makes the film look like a Roger Rabbit sequel

I felt this way about the Wolverine movie when it came out.

Half expected those claws to start singing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why didn't Fox just glue some metal blades to his fists? That's like the cheapest practical effect.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tip posted:

I felt this way about the Wolverine movie when it came out.

Half expected those claws to start singing.

Yeah, but Wolverine looked like poo poo when it originally came out. The LOTR trilogy looked loving amazing when it debuted, and you really didn't notice the CGI if you were watching in the theater or on a DVD at home. Now that it's 20 years later and we have 4k Ultra HDR home theater tech, the effects are understandably a lot more noticeable. But Serkis does an incredible job as Gollum, and with scenes like Helm's Deep they use the darkness of night to hide the rough edges a lot better.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Real weird for you to quote me saying the Wolverine movie looked like poo poo when it came out to be like, "Yeah but that looked like poo poo when it came out!"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tip posted:

Real weird for you to quote me saying the Wolverine movie looked like poo poo when it came out to be like, "Yeah but that looked like poo poo when it came out!"

Sorry, misread. Wasn't meaning to be confrontational.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

My poo poo looked like your posts when it came out

:smug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1346456472109142016?s=20

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

No one’s going to pay for Discovery+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

No one’s going to pay for Discovery+

No ones going to pay for more than half these single network streaming services.

But I don’t think that’s the goal. I think the goal is that they know that cable is dead, and they are attempting to make it work.. if it doesn’t they will sell their content to which ever streaming platform wins.

We also shouldn’t want a single streaming platform, but we should want to end exclusives. This probably won’t happen, but it’s a nice dream. Monopolies suck.