Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FilthyImp posted:

Tbh it's mostly just frustrating to watch a discussion unfold where people just... didn't pay attention to poo poo?

"So some rando shoots Gatsby? Boy what a lovely plot hole!"

I think the difference lies in what people find to be an acceptable explanation versus just straight horseshit. I find the situation too implausible and therefore am unable to suspend my disbelief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Max's megalomania is likely a result of his son Wishing for him to be great creating a feedback loop of Wishes and lovely health.
Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought the scene was Max saying that he wanted to be great so then his son would also be great and he says to his son “don’t you want to be great like your father” and then his son says “ok then I wish for your greatness” and you see the wind effect and Max looks disappointed. I thought that implied that the son was wishing to be great like his father but didn’t directly wish for his father to be great hence Max’s disappointment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the difference lies in what people find to be an acceptable explanation versus just straight horseshit.
Yeah I can understand that, but that's a separate layer of discussion.

The op's complaint was like someone saying "how can she be mysterious, she was running around a mall and there were security cameras" and just forgetting the scene where she Sailor Moon's her tiara at them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the difference lies in what people find to be an acceptable explanation versus just straight horseshit. I find the situation too implausible and therefore am unable to suspend my disbelief.

I read that post about "wish particles" or whatever the gently caress and the part of my mind tasked with parsing poo poo started to whistle the tune from steamboat willie

^^^ e: i didn't post that bit about the cameras, but you know cameras record stuff before they're broken right. Like Wonder Woman was gallivanting around for a bit before the tiara throw and oh god why am i tryin this movie is trash

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Mr. Apollo posted:

Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought the scene was Max saying that he wanted to be great so then his son would also be great and he says to his son “don’t you want to be great like your father” and then his son says “ok then I wish for your greatness” and you see the wind effect and Max looks disappointed. I thought that implied that the son was wishing to be great like his father but didn’t directly wish for his father to be great hence Max’s disappointment.

He's upset because he wanted to give his son something but his son used his wish on Max.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hypocrisy posted:

He's upset because he wanted to give his son something but his son used his wish on Max.
Ah, OK. That makes sense.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think in fairness not everyone has to renounce their wish. For example, Barbara covers her ears specifically so she can’t hear Diana’s speech and renounce her original wish. She still loses all the things Lord gave her, because he took those from other people to grant her second wish without directly granting a wish, but I’m pretty sure she’s still super strong and fast and all that.

Enough people renounced their wish when exposed to the truth that it saved the world. But as another example at no point does Max’s son renounce his wish that Max becomes great. It’s also worth noting that Max didn’t actually take anything in exchange for said wish, possibly because he can choose not to or the cost would be something he paid not his son.

Also you’re right I was being a little aggressive, sorry for that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lord_Magmar posted:

at no point does Max’s son renounce his wish that Max becomes great. It’s also worth noting that Max didn’t actually take anything in exchange for said wish, possibly because he can choose not to or the cost would be something he paid not his son.
I took the cost to be that Max's subsequent pursuit of greatness left Alistair even more deprived of his father.

Hence he's literally alone and forgotten in the father's office the rest of the movie :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

Tbh it's mostly just frustrating to watch a discussion unfold where people just... didn't pay attention to poo poo?

"So some rando shoots Gatsby? Boy what a lovely plot hole!"

Standard internet discourse in other words.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, can you imagine someone getting weirdly aggressive and dismissive and calling people dumb about different interpretations or missing details in a DC movie? That's crazy talk. Never happens.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Man, can you imagine someone getting weirdly aggressive and dismissive and calling people dumb about different interpretations or missing details in a DC movie? That's crazy talk. Never happens.

If there's something specific you're referring to then please elaborate, we are all friends here :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

If there's something specific you're referring to then please elaborate, we are all friends here :)

I was making a joke about how it happens for literally every DC movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

lol fair enough

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ImpAtom posted:

But Michael Scott said I Acquit so how can he not work at PaperCo anymore?!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1346185226410717186?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

seems unlikely

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This came up earlier in Discord. It seems to be a reference to this reply, but I am not convinced it actually confirms anything:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Guy A. Person posted:

This came up earlier in Discord. It seems to be a reference to this reply, but I am not convinced it actually confirms anything:

It's an unconventional choice for the role, but I'm sure Diane will do a good job.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's an unconventional choice for the role, but I'm sure Diane will do a good job.
lol

The current rumor is they're planning a Batman Beyond type franchise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m interpreting that as they’re going to try and do a multiverse ASAP so they can make movies more frequently.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish they were able to have done my Adam West as DC Cinematic Universe's Stan Lee. :(

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Let Pattinson do old Bruce Wayne in the Beyond movie. Do not allow him to alter his appearance at all.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Guy A. Person posted:

It didn't.

https://twitter.com/brooksbarnesNYT/status/1346295818836271105?s=20

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah most of WW84 makes sense after a bit of thought, its just that certain things it doesn't explicitely tell it just shows you them instead
and a fair amount of things it just straight up tells you them too, like diana's dad being zeus which is why she cant be electrocuted etc
the movie also is explicit very early on that it operates on cartoon logic and isnt remotely grounded in realism

its not a very good movie, its basically 3 movies poorly stapled together that eventually becomes the classic world threatening energy beam and CGI bossfight but i did like the cheetah and evil genie movies. pedro and kirsten are super fun, actually everyone in this movie is acting their arse off apart from Gal who is Tommy Wiseau level

IMO the rough majority of the movie is either actually good or so bad its good, which makes for an above average superhero film imo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That’s what I figured but it’s also this idiots own fault for answering a complex, multi-part question with a single word

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Twitter is so goddamn bad. It's honestly probably 20% of why the net turned into garbage.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

WW84 doesn’t get into so-bad-it’s-good territory for me at any point because I was bored through most of it. It has not of the kinetic energy of some other movie disasters that make them watchable. It’s more entertaining when described then when actually watched. Wiig and Pascal are good in spots but it’s not worth sitting through the rest just for that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's one of the worst comic book movies I've ever seen. It's mostly boring, and when it's not it has some just plain disgusting messaging. At least Spider-Man 3, Batman & Robin, X-Men 3, Thor The Dark World, and Elektra didn't have the hero rape somebody and not care that they took over the life of another person against their will.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

For me WW84’s biggest problem is that it’s boring. There are some superhero movie which aren’t my thing but I didn’t mind watching them but WW84 was just boring. I kept checking how much time was left.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Twitter is so goddamn bad. It's honestly probably 20% of why the net turned into garbage.

How do you explain the other 80%?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

How do you explain the other 80%?

The DMCA.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Facebook is a big part of it as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Let's not forget reddit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In general social media sites openly supporting white supremacy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
New Mutants was this close to coming out in 2021. In my country it just came out on VOD so I watched it. Meh. It wasn't as terrible as I was expecting it to be, but is was strangely appropriate that they watched Buffy on the TV on two separate occasions, because this felt like one of the "serious" episodes from that show.

I guess my main complaint was that Blu Hunt was very bland as the protagonist. The others sold the gimmick of the movie well enough, but she just didn't seem right to pin it all on. This got especially bad at the end when everybody was fighting the demon bear and she was kind of just where she was, and it wasn't really clear what the stakes were for her at all.

Anya Taylor-Joy was the best part of the movie, predictably. I was sure glad when her character stopped being racist though, that was some uncomfortable writing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In general social media sites openly supporting white supremacy.

Not even supporting, just that it was more profitable not to oppose them. So, really, it was capitalism.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Grendels Dad posted:

Anya Taylor-Joy was the best part of the movie, predictably. I was sure glad when her character stopped being racist though, that was some uncomfortable writing.

Her arm sword thing was cool, but yeah, oof about her character. The only other takeaway I had from New Mutants is it really made me want to see Anya Taylor-Joy take on more action roles. As such, I'm hyped af for Furiosa.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

Her arm sword thing was cool, but yeah, oof about her character. The only other takeaway I had from New Mutants is it really made me want to see Anya Taylor-Joy take on more action roles. As such, I'm hyped af for Furiosa.

Up to a point I could understand what her deal was supposed to be, but the same thing could have been achieved without the unrelenting racism.

MagiK getting to cut loose was fun. Anya Taylor-Joy has a nice through line in her roles where her characters are suppressed in some way and finally lash out in a cathartic fashion. I hope at some point she makes a movie called Anya Taylor-Joy Has Enough Of This poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what still confuses me was having Lockheed in the movie seeing as he is pretty much always associated with Kitty Pryde, you'd think Illyana would have enough of an x-factor (heh) with the whole magic abilities, in addition to being Colossus' younger sister.

New Mutants is baffling