Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

Someone leaked the registration link to the general public so we got a bunch of randos who showed up demanding vaccines.

Thank you for your service :patriot:

In all seriousness though, I hope you were able to stick with it mentally, you're doing a good thing, and I hope you continue to bring funny stories.

Vasukhani posted:

sounds like you'll be throwing out a lot of vaccines. We aren't competent enough to do a tiered approach, we should just give up, a mass vacc as quick as possible.

lmao this is such an awful idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

NieR Occomata posted:

I work at a COVID test site.

Today, we rolled out vaccines at the site.

Currently, we are only taking tier 1A people - aka health care professionals who work directly with patients, and aren’t in dentistry, plastic surgery, or operate their own private practice.

Someone leaked the registration link to the general public so we got a bunch of randos who showed up demanding vaccines.

Here is a selection of the excuses, arguments, demands, and other insane bullshit I dealt with today.

- “My <close family relative> is a doctor!”
- “X coworker I have got it here so I should be allowed to get it.”
- “I survived/ have cancer/major debilitating illness so I deserve it right now.”
- “I’m a healthcare worker retiree.”
- People who would show up in walkers, wheelchairs, etc, then demand a vaccine while motioning to their assistance like it gives them extra pity points.
- “I work with healthcare professionals.”
- A typical conversation I would have:
Me: “Are you a healthcare professional?”
Them: “No.”
Me: “Then you can’t get a vaccine.”
Them: “Let me speak to your manager.”
Like it’s fuckin’ Walmart or something.
- Speaking of, the sheer number of entitled rear end in a top hat boomers who think that if they are annoying enough and antagonize me enough they’ll get a vaccine because they’re so used to that working in every other situation where they make a retail worker’s life hell to get what they want they seem genuinely stunned with rage when I tell them “No.” and start ignoring them.
- Rich douches throwing their elitism around, to wit “You’re telling me I can’t get a vaccine even though I own my own practice?” while flashing their fancy watches and tailored suits.
- “I’m a personal caregiver to a relative so I’m a healthcare worker.”
- “I am my own nurse.” when asked how he was a healthcare professional.

Please tell me this is as comedic to me as it is to you

same loving assholes yelling masks dont work are now the whiners lining up like "jesus christ give me the loving prick or get your manager"

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

HelloSailorSign posted:

Thank you for your service :patriot:

In all seriousness though, I hope you were able to stick with it mentally, you're doing a good thing, and I hope you continue to bring funny stories.

better than our rate so far of using 15% of doses lol

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It seems funny but it’s very exhausting telling people no and them throwing a tantrum like a 5 year old. Thanks buddy I already got one of those to listen to. Retail has poisoned a lot of (especially older) people’s minds. As a former retail employee, management will bend over backwards for a customer so they don’t have to listen to them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's not surprising in the least. America has always been a land of "gently caress you, got mine," but social media has metastasized the cancer further because now people get to brag much more easily about how much more special they are because THEY got something YOU can't.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NieR Occomata posted:

Currently, we are only taking tier 1A people - aka health care professionals who work directly with patients, and aren’t in dentistry, plastic surgery, or operate their own private practice.

Here is a selection of the excuses, arguments, demands, and other insane bullshit I dealt with today.

- “I survived/ have cancer/major debilitating illness so I deserve it right now.”
- People who would show up in walkers, wheelchairs, etc, then demand a vaccine while motioning to their assistance like it gives them extra pity points.
- Speaking of, the sheer number of entitled rear end in a top hat boomers who think that if they are annoying enough and antagonize me enough they’ll get a vaccine because they’re so used to that working in every other situation where they make a retail worker’s life hell to get what they want they seem genuinely stunned with rage when I tell them “No.” and start ignoring them.
- Rich douches throwing their elitism around, to wit “You’re telling me I can’t get a vaccine even though I own my own practice?” while flashing their fancy watches and tailored suits.

Just keep a bunch of saline shots on hand to give to these people. Tell them they’re getting the special vaccine because they’re clearly important people, and only need a single dose because it’s better than the regular vaccine the regular folk are getting.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HelloSailorSign posted:

We're literally throwing doses in the garbage right now because we're being so loving precious about only the right people getting vaccinated.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

gay picnic defence posted:

Just keep a bunch of saline shots on hand to give to these people. Tell them they’re getting the special vaccine because they’re clearly important people, and only need a single dose because it’s better than the regular vaccine the regular folk are getting.

I know/HOPE you're kidding, but the same people who will throw tantrums in a pharmacy will invariably be the types who immediately go "back to their normal routine" once they think they're vaccinated (just the once, not even the full dose nor waiting for it to take full effect) and safe and become massive superspreaders.

I mean, that's a Venn diagram with two perfectly lined up circles.

"Don't worry, I got my shot" is going to be the new "do I *look* like I've got AIDS?"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The optimum distribution strategy isn't to means test the vaccine, it's the AC-130 gunship scene from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare except with shots. Just vaccinate everyone who doesn't run fast enough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Y'all do know that not everywhere is having the same distribution problems right

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Oracle posted:

No, Hawaii (and other islands) haven’t eradicated Covid because of lack of political will (or freedom) to do so either, so even with British being disqualified from island status on the Chunnel technicality it’s still a bullshit excuse for political failure to make hard choices in the west.

One of the interesting things that has come up in Australia is a few epidemiologists suggesting who the first recipients of the vaccine should be here: not healthcare workers, or nursing home residents, or the elderly in general, but rather the pilots and flight attendants and hotel workers and security guards who form the ring of protection in our quarantine system. Because that's where it keeps leaking out from.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

freebooter posted:

One of the interesting things that has come up in Australia is a few epidemiologists suggesting who the first recipients of the vaccine should be here: not healthcare workers, or nursing home residents, or the elderly in general, but rather the pilots and flight attendants and hotel workers and security guards who form the ring of protection in our quarantine system. Because that's where it keeps leaking out from.

Ring vaccination is an excellent strategy if you are lucky enough / early enough to be able to implement it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

As the Guardian op-ed I posted last page said: luck has nothing to do with it.

edit - that comes off as smug which isn't what I mean. I just feel like it's really important to refute the notion (which goes as an unprovoked truth in America and much of Europe) that there was never anything that could be done about COVID except to mitigate the damage. That was never true; it was just what your governments chose to do. It was a choice. Never forgive them for it.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 5, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

freebooter posted:

As a pilot I agree. :c00lbert:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Are there any precedents (of any kind) for this type of tiered rollout applied to large populations? It seems like it's not working very well in the US for a number of reasons and risks becoming counterproductive.

What's the bottleneck? It seems like the vaccines are getting produced and delivered, so not a manufacturing or logistics/delivery issue. Are appointment systems a mess, so people don't know when and where to go? Not enough people to deliver the shots? Demand low among priority people for some odd reason?

A lazy tier enforcement approach seems fine to me. Someone shows up and can't actually prove they're in the tier they're in, then gently caress it, give them the shot anyway. But there'd need to be something to prevent it from running rampant if word spreads.

I wonder if a "VIP" line approach would work. If you're T1a or whatever the top tier is at the moment, you can show up in a certain time window and skip the line. But meanwhile keep an unrestricted standby list so that we're not running an empty conveyor belt.

Or maybe a mixed method approach like popular marathons where in addition to the real qualifiers, a certain number of slots are reserved for lottery or for auction.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NieR Occomata posted:

What is the best way to deal with Karens, for posterity?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^^ from my time in retail, telling them no and ignoring them is solid loving gold

The Oldest Man posted:

The optimum distribution strategy isn't to means test the vaccine, it's the AC-130 gunship scene from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare except with shots. Just vaccinate everyone who doesn't run fast enough.

"Don't focus the vaccine on the most vulnerable and most in danger, but instead allow whatever societal inequalities already exist to continue onto vaccination distribution" is a hell of a leftist take.

In before "a rising vaccination rate lifts all lungs"

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know/HOPE you're kidding, but the same people who will throw tantrums in a pharmacy will invariably be the types who immediately go "back to their normal routine" once they think they're vaccinated (just the once, not even the full dose nor waiting for it to take full effect) and safe and become massive superspreaders.

I mean, that's a Venn diagram with two perfectly lined up circles.

"Don't worry, I got my shot" is going to be the new "do I *look* like I've got AIDS?"

Deep down you know those fuckers have hardly deviated from their normal routine the entire time

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

^^^ from my time in retail, telling them no and ignoring them is solid loving gold

"Don't focus the vaccine on the most vulnerable and most in danger, but instead allow whatever societal inequalities already exist to continue onto vaccination distribution" is a hell of a leftist take.

okay, why haven't 20 million people been vaccinated yet then.

you know delaying this just means that poor working people will die in mass right

or is it better for vaccines to be flushed to make sure they go to the right people first? Better to have the poor people die than risk a rich person who is doing wfh from getting the vacc!

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 5, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Deploy snipers with tranquilliser guns filled with vaccine. Anyone not wearing a mask gets a shot. Soldiers get $10 per confirmed vaccination.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lol at “I have cancer and I’m scared” slipping into the Karens list

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fallom posted:

drat Karen wanting to get that vaccine just because she is scared of dying and doesn't understand why 50-year-old politicians get it before her.

Why don't these Karens understand the incredibly confusing guidelines (different for each state). It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard!’

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 5, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Vasukhani posted:

okay, why haven't 20 million people been vaccinated yet then.

you know delaying this just means that poor working people will die in mass right

or is it better for vaccines to be flushed to make sure they go to the right people first? Better to have the poor people die than risk a rich person who is doing wfh from getting the vacc!

Watching people go from need-based to "actually if I, a computer toucher, get the vaccine first it's woke" is something.

I agree that in many places the distribution leaves much to be desired but going on a priority system still makes the most sense.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

Watching people go from need-based to "actually if I, a computer toucher, get the vaccine first it's woke" is something.

I agree that in many places the distribution leaves much to be desired but going on a priority system still makes the most sense.

Throwing out vaccines is woke? The priority system is still good obviously, we just are unwilling and incapable of doing it in an effective way, and are instead obsessing over individual line cutters. Just have the state literally vaccinate on all olds on sight.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 5, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I agree that prioritization makes sense but the offramps need to look more like "Once all the staff at this clinic were vaccinated the remainder went to patients at a nearby dialysis clinic" and less like "This smiling young couple got a magic dose because they were friends with a hospital administrator!" And to be fair, some places are doing exactly that. Just another point against having a national rollout without national leadership.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 5, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fallom posted:

Yeah that one stands out pretty poorly.

IMO you print out signs everywhere that lists people that cannot receive it yet so you can atleast point to it and save your voice.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fallom posted:

I agree that prioritization makes sense but the offramps need to look more like "Once all the staff at this clinic were vaccinated the remainder went to patients at a nearby dialysis clinic" and less like "This smiling young couple got a magic dose because they were friends with a hospital administrator!" And to be fair, some places are doing exactly that. Just another point against having a national rollout without national leadership.

That dialysis option seems like a sure way to rake up some 100k fines, better just toss em.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Vasukhani posted:

Throwing out vaccines is woke? The priority system is still good obviously, we just are unwilling and incapable of doing it in an effective way.

We actually are, it's just spotty because, as Fallom points out, it turns out that it does matter who is president. I have friends who are front line workers already getting their second dose in some states, and in some states not even their first.

The answer to a priority system working bad is to make it better, not do a free-for-all.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

We actually are, it's just spotty because, as Fallom points out, it turns out that it does matter who is president. I have friends who are front line workers already getting their second dose in some states, and in some states not even their first.

The answer to a priority system working bad is to make it better, not do a free-for-all.

I'm not suggesting a free for all. I want the state to use its coercive apparatus to force it. There should be no individual choice at all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Vasukhani posted:

I'm not suggesting a free for all. I want the state to use its coercive apparatus to force it. There should be no individual choice at all.

The person I was replying to was, in fact, advocating a free for all.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

The person I was replying to was, in fact, advocating a free for all.

I was suggesting that 20 million people (hell I'm sure you could even find 20 mil over 70) vaccinated is better than 5 million of the right people. It's not like people are going to hoard vaccines in their bodies.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 5, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

except in a pandemic this is literally true lol

we simply need to emphasize getting shots into arms

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 5, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jaxyon posted:

Cool, and there are countless articles about how it’s not working, how vaccines are sitting in freezers, how people who should be prioritized have heard crickets, how despite there being a priority list and appointments made old people are still waiting in line overnight in the cold. You’ve got anecdotes? Here’s some opposing anecdotes.

A priority system is great if it works, but it’s not loving working. They’ve had 1 loving year to prepare for this and if they haven’t done it in a year they’re not going to magically fix it in weeks. Free for all (with appointments! Not just show up) is better than vaccines sitting in storage.

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

A vaccine that goes to someone who is clinically vulnerable is many times more valuable in terms of preventing death and stopping the healthcare system from becoming overwhelmed. If you can vaccinate everybody who is clinically vulnerable, you pretty much guarantee that the healthcare system can cope with whatever COVID throws at it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I wouldn't assume everyone who shows up is entitled. I'm sure some of them are just loving horrified because this is the first positive thing that's been done for the last year. My dad has bladder cancer and my mom had a few breakdowns because she was so scared of catching it. They're both pretty tuned in to everything and aren't idiots, but I could see them freaking out and trying to get it under different circumstances. I've worked enough retail to get the whole "karen" thing but this isn't exactly some boomer trying to skip the waiting list for brunch in a busy restaurant.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The important thing is that are wise and good politicians all got their shots first

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Unironically I wish we would make politicians be literally the last people in the country to get vaccinated, I'd love to see how quickly the vaccine rollout would go

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Unironically I wish we would make politicians be literally the last people in the country to get vaccinated, I'd love to see how quickly the vaccine rollout would go
I’d love to see how fast they’d pass a law that allows politicians to assign their roles to a family member or pet on a short-term emergency basis that lasts exactly as long as a vaccination session

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
My insurance provider sent an email out to all clients with a message in big red letters: PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT YOUR HEALTH CARE PROVIDER ABOUT VACCINE AVAILABILITY.

I feel a little sorry for whoever is fielding all these questions when the answer is obviously "Not yet, not for you." Nowhere near as sorry as for the front-line health care workers, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Meanwhile here is the conclusion to a thread one of the state level health officials in Australia put out the other day explaining why we haven't even started the vaccine rollout:

https://twitter.com/peripatetical/status/1346036329931444224