Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

if that's the first place you went, there are 2 other branches you can go and one of them is considerably easier. the more you explore you'll find mea culpa statues that increase sword damage and make those "hit once and wait" enemies a lot faster. that said the game is fairly slow paced overall and there are other mechanics like what's bothering you such as waiting for moving platforms to come to you, so you may just want to write it off as not for you
Thanks, good to know I went in a harder direction. I don't really want to give it up because even though there are some things about it that I'm not digging, I do like the somewhat lumbering style. The stop-and-wait style isn't the problem in and of itself so much as every time I get killed and have to slog through the same four or five rooms of that just to get back to where I was, I start to lose my patience. If I can come back later when I just won't die as often, then that might be the ticket.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any last minute suggestions in the sub $5 range for hidden gems? The steam algorithm is pretty hot garbage but maybe that's me not doing a discovery queue every day so it better matches my sensibilities.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is the Intel extreme masters even still going

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt318RfYE2k

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe I should vote for Faze Clan...

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Here's five (5) hidden gems for you:

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-, super good metroidvania thingy that isn't finished yet, but there is enough meat there that will take you a while to get through

THANK YOU for mentioning this! I've just played 15 minutes or so and really enjoy it, and I'd never even heard of it until your post.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jesus gently caress the Steam Awards is a joke. I typically don't care about these things but the results are terrible.

Hwurmp posted:

Shareholder meetings are just rock-paper-scissors. The objective is to either fully convince every shareholder before time runs out, or have an overall approval rating above 50%. High net worth, high sales, and high employee spirits will all give you approval bonuses.

Your board members should all have high Charisma and colors that beat the lead shareholders' colors--iirc red beats green beats blue beats red. As time passes in the meeting, shareholders will get more and more impatient, but you'll also build up command points for using your board members. Call on a shareholder right before they get fully pissed off, and counter them with a stronger-color board member until they run out of HP or you run out of CP.

You also have an apology super move that slowly charges up, and should always be used at max charge unless you're desperate.

Thank you.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe I should vote for Faze Clan...

please vote for my clan just click the link below and log into your steam account

https://www.notaphishingscam.com

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Gunpoint
Super Adventure Tactics
Pyre
A Story About My Uncle

All around 5 bucks

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The thing I was a big dumb idiot about on Shareholder meetings that left me asking "Wait, how was my first try on the #1 spot a botch?" after shouldering through the rest no problem.

Color coded board members can use different colored bubbles than their own personal weakness :downs: "Blue speech bubble shield, Spam the color!... why isn't this turbo murdering their health bar too, is it because boss fight-oh, oooooh" :eng99:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 5, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus gently caress the Steam Awards is a joke. I typically don't care about these things but the results are terrible.

Thank you.

The other big tip for shareholder meetings: Bring the chicken. She has the lowest cost to use of any worker, so it's great for when you need something to use in an emergency. The persuasion of the character used for the first counter doesn't matter, so she's perfect for breaking shareholders even if it's not a match in the rock-paper-scissors system.

The chicken stayed in my team all the way until the end of that mode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
i love that i wasn't entirely sure what was going on until the chicken got mentioned and then I was "yeah, that's a Yakuza game for sure"

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Goodness, that's a lot of different goons getting compromised in such a short period of time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The giant roomba's command point cost is a bit hefty but I enjoy having a minivan-sized roomba on my board of directors anyway.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

Any last minute suggestions in the sub $5 range for hidden gems? The steam algorithm is pretty hot garbage but maybe that's me not doing a discovery queue every day so it better matches my sensibilities.

I'm not sure how hidden these are (a lot are just classics you might have missed), but:

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is a classic and a steal for $0.59.
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Glass Masquerade
Primordia
Hylics
Creeper World 3
Steamworld Heist
Agent A: A puzzle in disguise
Cat Quest (casual arpg, but better than it sounds!)
Hiveswap: Act 1
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
Immortal Defense
The Last Door
Technobabylon
Super Panda Adventures
Hero of the Kingdom
Monster Prom

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 5, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Man, I'm trying to love Disco Elysium, but it's so bloody hard. It just feels so taxing on my soul: everything is going wrong, everyone is a liar that holds all the cards except Kim who is cool, the world is so big and is so difficult to understand and I feel like I'm not going to have any impact on it anyway so why bother and I feel like I'm constantly being judged and none of the lines fit me and are fed a lot of politics that I have no way of knowing what applies for this world and auughhh all my rolls are failing even though it's like 80% and I refuse to save scum and I feel like I'm constantly being timed and need to ignore my completionist tendencies ow ow ow

Hmm, come to think of it, that's probably the intended experience, but still...well, I guess I need to get my poo poo together.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 5, 2021

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rage McDougal posted:

Here's one that's supposed to be focused on games that had little coverage: https://buried-treasure.org/2020/12/the-14-best-buried-treasures-of-2020/

It reminded me that I meant to add Signs of the Sojourner to my wishlist earlier this year.

There's a website that procedurally generates a top 250 list of "hidden gems" based on how high the average of their reviews are but is weighted so that as a game gets more reviews it falls off so games with less eyes on them float to the top. It also thankfully banishes visual novels to their own separate list.

https://steam250.com/hidden_gems

I found out about it when The Void Rains Upon Her Heart got a big effort post here earlier, it currently sits at #2 on that list and it's definitely exactly the type of cool weird overlooked indie game that a "hidden gems" list should be highlighting. I can't remember who posted about it but someone in the game's discord posted a video review that also does a good job selling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dHyT1kW1c

Ragequit posted:

I agree with most of the Steam awards handed out this year, though I am not so sure about Sims 4 considering it came out 6 or 7 years ago.

The Steam Awards don't really mean anything because both the nominees and the actual winner are just user poll results, and also most of the people participating in that poll are just clicking through it as fast as possible to get trading cards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There's a website that procedurally generates a top 250 list of "hidden gems" based on how high the average of their reviews are but is weighted so that as a game gets more reviews it falls off so games with less eyes on them float to the top. It also thankfully banishes visual novels to their own separate list.

https://steam250.com/hidden_gems

That’s cool but the minimum number of reviews should be 250.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

Pick it up if you like shmups. Pick it up if you don't. Pick it up even if you suck terribly at them because this is the one that's going to teach you how to be better without ever being overbearing.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

nordichammer posted:

Super Adventure Tactics

All around 5 bucks

What's this one? Do you mean Super Dungeon Tactics?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Man, I'm trying to love Disco Elysium, but it's so bloody hard. It just feels so taxing on my soul: everything is going wrong, everyone is a liar that holds all the cards except Kim who is cool, the world is so big and is so difficult to understand and I feel like I'm not going to have any impact on it anyway so why bother and I feel like I'm constantly being judged and none of the lines fit me and are fed a lot of politics that I have no way of knowing what applies for this world and auughhh all my rolls are failing even though it's like 80% and I refuse to save scum and I feel like I'm constantly being timed and need to ignore my completionist tendencies ow ow ow

Hmm, come to think of it, that's probably the intended experience, but still...well, I guess I need to get my poo poo together.

Don't give up, and remember that you can be better than you think you are. And make sure to do the cryptid questline.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

That’s cool but the minimum number of reviews should be 250.

I feel like this would defeat the purpose of finding obscure stuff on steam that's been getting overlooked.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, managed to get my company in the Top 50. I definitely don't get 3 million yen per turn but I assume that's at the end. Halfway to 3 million yen now due to 260,000 yen per shareholder meeting.

Begemot posted:

The other big tip for shareholder meetings: Bring the chicken. She has the lowest cost to use of any worker, so it's great for when you need something to use in an emergency. The persuasion of the character used for the first counter doesn't matter, so she's perfect for breaking shareholders even if it's not a match in the rock-paper-scissors system.

The chicken stayed in my team all the way until the end of that mode.

So the "charisma" stat doesn't matter at all for shareholder meetings?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay, managed to get my company in the Top 50. I definitely don't get 3 million yen per turn but I assume that's at the end. Halfway to 3 million yen now due to 260,000 yen per shareholder meeting.

So the "charisma" stat doesn't matter at all for shareholder meetings?

For your board of directors, Charisma is attack power and Tenacity is HP. You can get by pretty easily by giving your directors promotions and paying for their training.

Leveling them up also improves your Command Point total, so bring your highest-level employees as your board.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It does. Omelette is good for about 2/3 of the game and will always be useful for shield breaking but you will want some high charisma SRs and SSRs when the shareholders start having tons of defense.

At the same time the threshold for winning the minigame is not that high and the apology bailouts will mean you'll probably be able to succeed regardless

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Speaking of $5, Epic has some good games for $5 after the (infinitely replenishing) $10 off coupon:

Outer Wilds
Carrion
Dead Cells
Wilmot's Warehouse
Anodyne 2
Manifold Garden
God's Trigger
Neon Abyss

$6:
I am Dead
Going Under

For Ubi fans:
Assassin's Creed: Origins ($5)
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey ($8)
Watch Dogs 2 ($5)
Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint ($5 each)
The Division 2 + Warlords of New York ($8)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Like there is an SSR who will do triple the damage of Omelette and only costs 6, in the level 28-30 range dude will clean house

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stickman posted:

Speaking of $5, Epic has some good games for $5 after the (infinitely replenishing) $10 off coupon:

Epic Games Store has such good deals but it's such a terrible platform. Even free games won't make me use the platform on regular basis.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It does. Omelette is good for about 2/3 of the game and will always be useful for shield breaking but you will want some high charisma SRs and SSRs when the shareholders start having tons of defense.

I hear what you're saying, but have you considered that you could bring a chimpanzee, instead?

And the child, gently caress labour laws.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like taking the foreign hostess who can't speak any Japanese.

She's not any good, but she doesn't have to be when lucha libre is taking care of everything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I already own about half of those but added quite a few to the wishlist to save for later.

....isn't Hiveswap a game about Homestuck? I've always heard of that fandom referred to in rather ungenerous terms.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Hidden in Plain Sight is one of the best local multiplayer games imo and it’s $3 right now. Basically a bunch of game modes where there are a ton of NPCs wandering around, and the players control one at random. You have to accomplish some objective while avoiding other players figuring out who you are- eg touch every statue in a room without being stabbed by someone else. It’s actually incredibly fun (especially for people who aren’t super familiar with video games) despite looking really, really unpolished from the store page.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FutureCop posted:

I feel like I'm constantly being timed and need to ignore my completionist tendencies ow ow ow
Pro-tip, time only advances when you're talkign to people, feel free to walk around and loot trash cans or whatever. Time only advances after dialog choices so you can read mostly as long as you want.

but anyways failing rolls is the intended way and usually funnier. it's very much a "failing upwards" game.

also you have to erase 20+ years of western Bioware-Bethesda brain worms where they make/want you exhaust all dialog and then Magically Fix The NPC at the end. DON'T. stick to some sort of role or ideology, or whatever seems funny, and just do that. Leave the other dialog options alone and just walk away. The very first NPC is there to teach you this but people probably have a lot of bioware brainworms to pluck out to get over that. And by not doing every dialog choice you will probably come out ahead and save a lot of time.

much like life, you're just supposed to roll with the tidings. don't sweat it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 5, 2021

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

pentyne posted:

....isn't Hiveswap a game about Homestuck? I've always heard of that fandom referred to in rather ungenerous terms.

Yeah but I gather it stands on its own pretty well, and has some music by Toby Fox.

The worst thing I can say about Homestuck's fandom is that it's the same as any fandom that reaches a critical mass. The worst thing I can say about Homestuck itself is that it's about 5,000 pages too long and I liked Problem Sleuth better, but it definitely still had its moments.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If fandoms dictate what you participate in then you shouldn't be playing video games because it's the worst fandom of them all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What does the "first season" in TROUBLESHOOTER's description mean, is this an episodic game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I couldn't care less about the reputation of the homestuck fandom, if I'm not buying Hiveswap it's solely because I'm not interested in (or rather, lost interest in) Homestuck as a property.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does the "first season" in TROUBLESHOOTER's description mean, is this an episodic game
As I understand it, the game as it is finishes whatever its current story beats are so there's no cliffhangers per se, but they hope/plan to do more with the world and characters. I think it was called either episode 1 or chapter 1 before and they changed it to "season" based on feedback (likely to keep people from thinking of it as an episodic game in the sense that, say, Telltale games have been).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Got a short question: There's a yakuza bundle with 3 games. I bought one of them as a single game (Yakuza 0) and really liked it so I want the full bundle. Any way to buy the bundle and get the 5$ for Yakuza 0 back?