Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Maybe that’s I’ll do some testing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
I use this for gif uploads
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/bd02e709ea6f48a28a0d7602a2f32b78

And this for still image uploads
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a84db75784ff4e88945e5d561ed94039

Maybe these could go in the op

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Your camera is probably saving as heic images instead of png, try converting the images

works for me :shrug:

*edit*
that is heic

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How are you supposed to use this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

How are you supposed to use this?

Add these shortcuts to your Shortcuts app and share sheet from Photos I think

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

We're also at the end of the month and I have no idea what causes imgur to rate limit us so maybe that's implicated somehow??

It feels like Apple ought to have provided an API to convert an image from HEIC to JPEG but I have done 0 research into this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

We're also at the end of the month and I have no idea what causes imgur to rate limit us so maybe that's implicated somehow??

It feels like Apple ought to have provided an API to convert an image from HEIC to JPEG but I have done 0 research into this.

I think iOS converts to JPEG if you go through the share sheet, but we obviously don’t. I don’t see a HEIC-to-JPEG path in a quick API search, but that can’t be right, can it?

E: it’s not right, there’s

code:
let imageData = image.jpegData(compressionQuality: 0.75)
which I guess we wouldn’t want to do for GIFs. I can’t reliably reproduce this, so it’ll be a bit tricky to test but putting that into the flow seems straightforward enough.

It’s also weird that imgur doesn’t take HEIC and do something with it, as I think about it.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 28, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

which I guess we wouldn’t want to do for GIFs.

Or PNGs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's a setting in photos that tells it to convert to JPG when transferring to a PC. By default it's on. Maybe it affects the imgur thing too somehow. Imgur definitely doesn't accept heic

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Drastic Actions posted:

I worked on something today that might be of interest to this thread. I wrote a little Web Server that proxies SA and rewrites its HTML into something less complex so older browsers can render it (and also proxies files and has SSL off :v:). Basically, it lets you access modern SA from old hardware.

The theme is based on the SA design from 2001, or at least what version of it was on the Internet Archive.

Mostly wanted an excuse to screw around with an ol' laptop I had.

I tried seeing how far back I could go, and so far it works fine with IE3.

pngs don't work, but since I'm already proxying files I could convert them into something else.

How bouts an old rear end novelty Web 1.5 SA theme?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm guessing this is just my old phone on its way out, but here's something that's only happened to me while using Awful; I'll be reading a thread and have about 25-29% battery left, slowly but steadily ticking down as I read. Then at some point, usually after switching to a new page, my phone freezes for a few seconds, screen goes black, I get the pinwheel and it goes into a boot loop. Once I plug it in to charge it wakes up normally with 10% battery left and starts charging, after which it's fine again until I get to reading Awful with my battery in the 20-something percent range. I haven't had any other app do this so far.

I know Awful isn't gentle on the battery but I don't think it's doing this since it's a pretty recent issue but I'm still curious why this might be happening beyond my phone (OG SE) just being too old.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do you recall Apple had that big controversy about throttling iPhones that had diminished battery capacity? They actually did that to avoid the situation you described. If the phone battery is low-ish, and the processor requests too much power, it can shut down even though it’s not at 0%.

So maybe check if you have throttling disabled in Battery Health?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

smackfu posted:

Do you recall Apple had that big controversy about throttling iPhones that had diminished battery capacity? They actually did that to avoid the situation you described. If the phone battery is low-ish, and the processor requests too much power, it can shut down even though it’s not at 0%.

So maybe check if you have throttling disabled in Battery Health?

I do remember that, yeah, but there's no setting for it that I can find, just optimized charging. I may have found another culprit looking at usage by app because my COVID exposure notification app is at 88% compared to Awful (my most actively used app) which sits at 3% in comparison. :haw:

Should see about disabling it while I'm not out I guess. Maybe it doesn't play well with something as demanding on this phone as Awful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now I'm thinking that's some kind of busy-loop app like

code:
while dont_have_covid:
    pass
print('U have covid :(')

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Stare-Out posted:

I do remember that, yeah, but there's no setting for it that I can find, just optimized charging. I may have found another culprit looking at usage by app because my COVID exposure notification app is at 88% compared to Awful (my most actively used app) which sits at 3% in comparison. :haw:

Should see about disabling it while I'm not out I guess. Maybe it doesn't play well with something as demanding on this phone as Awful.

Jeez, is that COVID app tracking location 100% of the time or something? I’ve never had any app come even close to the battery usage of Awful. But that’s because I’m sitting on these dead forums all day long.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's mostly just "blast a bluetooth signal to connect to other apps around me to exchange keys so they get an alert that they've been near me if I tell the app that I have symptoms and vice versa." It's not terribly elegant and a total battery fucker, so you're not far off.

Tetramin posted:

Jeez, is that COVID app tracking location 100% of the time or something? I’ve never had any app come even close to the battery usage of Awful. But that’s because I’m sitting on these dead forums all day long.

It doesn't track location or hold any other info, it relies on you telling it you're sick so it can send a thing to other peoples' apps that whoops, someone possibly killed you so isolate asap.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 30, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Stare-Out posted:

I'm guessing this is just my old phone on its way out, but here's something that's only happened to me while using Awful; I'll be reading a thread and have about 25-29% battery left, slowly but steadily ticking down as I read. Then at some point, usually after switching to a new page, my phone freezes for a few seconds, screen goes black, I get the pinwheel and it goes into a boot loop. Once I plug it in to charge it wakes up normally with 10% battery left and starts charging, after which it's fine again until I get to reading Awful with my battery in the 20-something percent range. I haven't had any other app do this so far.

I know Awful isn't gentle on the battery but I don't think it's doing this since it's a pretty recent issue but I'm still curious why this might be happening beyond my phone (OG SE) just being too old.

I mean, post page loads are by far the most CPU intensive operation the app can do, especially when cspammers have been emptyquoting massive tweet dumps for the whole page. Probably at that moment the CPU requires more watts than the battery can provide and things break down.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

carry on then posted:

I mean, post page loads are by far the most CPU intensive operation the app can do, especially when cspammers have been emptyquoting massive tweet dumps for the whole page. Probably at that moment the CPU requires more watts than the battery can provide and things break down.

That makes sense. Yeah it's usually either the Schadenfreude thread with it's huge gifs and mp4's or the Trump lol thread that has a billion tweets per page so it certainly tracks. I'll keep an eye on it and how it behaves with the COVID app switched off as this started around the time I installed it so I figure having it on in the background while Awful beats the CPU probably drains the hell out of the battery.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Did the iMessage stickers go away or do I need to reinstall or something?

I’m hoping it’s a glitch because I love them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Snowy posted:

Did the iMessage stickers go away or do I need to reinstall or something?

I’m hoping it’s a glitch because I love them.

Probably badly paraphrasing pokeyman's explanation, there was something about them that either would have or did cause an App Store rejection (?) that wasn't trivial to fix, so they were removed. We do want to get them added back in but it's not going to be trivial. Sorry about the confusion!

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Small bug: latest ipad pro, ios 14.2 (also observed on older os versions)

1. Open a thread
2. Open another app in multitask mode, so the awful interface reverts to phone-like (root tabbar screen is the bottom of the nav stack instead of a slide-over view on the left)
3. Drag the multitask border over, restoring awful to fullscreen

The thread title in the nav bar will be blank when this is done

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
I don't actually use the drafts feature at all but reading about other people using it made me think: when there is a saved draft, change the pencil icon for posting to also have a piece of paper or an asterisk or something similar.
On the other hand, if backing out of a thread discards a draft, pop up a bottom balloon with "Keep Draft" that reopens the in-progress draft. My reference point here is what Outlook does when you delete a message or back out of a draft, but I don't know if that is a native iOS behavior or some custom thing Outlook does.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I would rather the app just auto saved drafts as long as I’m in a thread. I don’t like the extra touch to confirm whether I want to keep or delete.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Ruggan posted:

I would rather the app just auto saved drafts as long as I’m in a thread. I don’t like the extra touch to confirm whether I want to keep or delete.

Yeah, it used to behave like that if I remember right, and I liked it better

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ruggan posted:

:yeah:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Did anyone ever ask about being able to save images from the lepers colony? That’d be nice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the obsession this thread has with the lepers colony.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Not the end of the world but the use of the term “Mark” for two different features confuses me no matter how many times I see this

Maybe change the bookmark toggle to “Bookmark” and “Delete” (“Delete” is the label from the unbookmark action if you swipe left from the bookmark on the list of bookmarks) and change “Mark” to “Mark Unread”?

App is fantastic - thanks for the great work

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 5, 2021

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

Not the end of the world but the use of the term “Mark” for two different features confuses me no matter how many times I see this

Maybe change the bookmark toggle to “Bookmark” and “Delete” (“Delete” is the label from the unbookmark action if you swipe left from the bookmark on the list of bookmarks) and change “Mark” to “Mark Unread”?

The eye icons should be Read / Unread I think. Part of the problem is it actually is called 'Mark Read' but the word read drops down to the next line and disappears. Get rid of the word mark.

Delete instead of unmark is a good idea.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Something is definitely wrong with the popover, it's just visually messed up all around.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Awful 5.4, iOS 14.3

Occasionally when returning to control panel from a thread via the back arrow button, the thread i was just reading will have its title replaced with “The Something Awful Forums”. This persists until I go to another thread and back out. I haven’t seen it happen twice in a row yet. I didn’t notice it until after the most recent app update.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Keith Atherton posted:

I think the proper solution is moving from a pop up like that to a standard list of actions. Even though I was all for the popover because in theory it’s closer to the item you just tapped, it’s not as critical on a phone.

We’ve had some mock-ups for a list where you can have longer text labels but I don’t have them at the moment. Ideally the text labels are verbs.

The short term fix is probably more like scaling down those icons and increasing the padding on the pop-up. I don’t think having two buttons that start with the word mark is necessarily wrong or bad, but the label being cut off is.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Hm I just ran into that imgur exception trying to upload an image I saved from google images. First time that’s happened to me, weird.

I don’t have the Imgur app so I can’t upload anything there easily outside of Awful, but maybe the google image saving is a weird format?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

I’ve pressed the wrong one loads of times as well

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

I think the proper solution is moving from a pop up like that to a standard list of actions. Even though I was all for the popover because in theory it’s closer to the item you just tapped, it’s not as critical on a phone.

I personally would support the idea of switching to standard iOS context menus, which should allow for longer, more descriptive labels.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this has come up before and it’s not feasible but I would legit pay good money to be able to sort my bookmarks out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

I know this has come up before and it’s not feasible but I would legit pay good money to be able to sort my bookmarks out.

Sort them out how?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

carry on then posted:

Sort them out how?

I'm not the OP but I'd love to have my bookmark colors mean anything, like the ability to group bookmarks by different colored stars, or see all bookmarks of just one color, etc.

What do bookmark colors even do on the website anyway? Why do I want a green star instead of a gold one? I always assumed it was to be able to put custom flags on bookmarks, but without a way to sort the flags that feels like an incomplete feature. (Or maybe that's actually possible and I just don't understand how to use them.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

Sort them out how?

Hell just buy sub forum would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

What do bookmark colors even do on the website anyway? Why do I want a green star instead of a gold one? I always assumed it was to be able to put custom flags on bookmarks, but without a way to sort the flags that feels like an incomplete feature. (Or maybe that's actually possible and I just don't understand how to use them.)

If you have the 'Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned' forum option enabled, it highlights the whole thread in thread lists rather than the only difference being the star color. This lets you (barring exceptional circumstances) easily differentiate between your different-colored bookmarks. My impression of the whole thing was that you could assign whatever meaning you want to the different colors. Maybe one color represents a forum a thread came from; maybe it marks threads as "I'd like to read these first". Maybe it means something completely different.