Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RabbitWizard posted:

Got a short question: There's a yakuza bundle with 3 games. I bought one of them as a single game (Yakuza 0) and really liked it so I want the full bundle. Any way to buy the bundle and get the 5$ for Yakuza 0 back?

Don't most steam bundles actually remove the price of the products you already own when calculating the total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Xarbala posted:

Don't most steam bundles actually remove the price of the products you already own when calculating the total?
Yes they do, I'm an idiot, thanks!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
any good older jrpgs with a good story? i havent played any of them except chrono trigger and FFX.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

err posted:

any good older jrpgs with a good story? i havent played any of them except chrono trigger and FFX.

The Trails games are pretty rad if that's your jam- Sky, then Steel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been playing the Trials of Mana remake and it's pretty good, shame there are no other noteworthy remakes of 90s JRPGs recently.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The PC ports of the 'Tales of' (Symphonia, Eternia, etc) games are pretty decent too.

And another vote for Dragon Quest XI, which is modern AAA production and QOL with old school as gently caress mechanics, and a story and characters I cared a lot about (after the slow prologue).

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 5, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

err posted:

Undertale :shittydog:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Omi no Kami posted:

The Trails games are pretty rad if that's your jam- Sky, then Steel.

If I'm currently enjoying Cold Steel I, would I enjoy Sky? I know it's all the same world and that the characters from Sky appear in Cold Steel, but I'm mostly concerned about the game being way too slow, given the number of people I've seen recommending the LP rather than actually playing the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Undertale :shittydog:

that was five years ago! five years isn't old! you're old!!!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I couldn't get into sky at first either. I went from finishing cold steel 1 first and then went through the sky trilogy. The beginning is definitely slow but turbo helps a lot. It's a great series.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Azran posted:

If I'm currently enjoying Cold Steel I, would I enjoy Sky? I know it's all the same world and that the characters from Sky appear in Cold Steel, but I'm mostly concerned about the game being way too slow, given the number of people I've seen recommending the LP rather than actually playing the game.

If the slow parts of Cold Steel I don't bother you, they won't bother you on Sky FC either.

Thing is, after you finish Cold Steel I, you will want to start II right away. You'll know why when you get there.

Save the Sky trilogy for when you're done with the first two Cold Steel games. That way, the time skip in Cold Steel III will feel more real if you don't jump in immediately.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

err posted:

There's the recently released Persona 4 Golden, which has a lot of story (or at least character) content. You alternate between hanging out with your friends/loved ones, and dungeon diving, with a fast paced battle system

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

err posted:

The Final Fantasy VI Steam port unfortunately replaced all of the character art with graphics that doesn't fit in, but it's still worth it if you're into old JRPGs. It was the peak of its era.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/382900/FINAL_FANTASY_VI/

Artelier posted:

There's the recently released Persona 4 Golden, which has a lot of story (or at least character) content. You alternate between hanging out with your friends/loved ones, and dungeon diving, with a fast paced battle system

P4 also has what's essentially a Pokemon system for capturing and using new power sets. It's pretty fun.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 5, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Azran posted:

I did, but they are definitely two distinct-feeling games. Two things I would look out for:

a) Sky I starts really slow. Like, I asked several people at several points if it picks up, and they all went "gently caress yes, keep playing." They ended up being correct. Sky is three games that are paced like a single contiguous novel, and a lot of Sky I is basically the opening act of a book.

b) Make sure to scope out some screenshots/gameplay footage of Sky. It's fun, but it's a sprite-based, much older-school look than Steel, which turns some people off.

Edit: Oh yeah and it's worth being aware, both Sky and Steel have the one book, three (or four) games feel going on. Like, the ending to Sky I would've been infuriating if I hadn't had Sky II already installed and waiting to pick right up.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I was going to say FF6 as well. The amount of content and variation is quite impressive for a SNES game. Lots of memorable set pieces and nice character moments. It's not super deep or clever story, but manages to keep things fresh.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4 hours left to get Children of a Death Earth for 90% off ($2.50), just played the first few campaign missions on Steam and holy gently caress this gameplay loop rules. Navigating orbits and then rolling up on an enemy ship and just :blastu: dumping :blastu: railgun rounds onto them is fuckin' incredible, you get to watch their armor get filled full of holes. For a one-man-developer effort it's truly impressive.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/

here's a clip of someone just dumping 30 nukes out of oversized apollo Landers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7otKmPCWrU&t=221s

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 5, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

While we're talking JRPGs, what's Vesperia's thing? Like, I know the Tales formula but Berseria was pirates, and Zestiria was schizophrenia, so what's the narrative hook for Vesperia?

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 5, 2021

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

In theory? Vigilantism. It doesn't quite go the full distance and gets very confused somewhere around mid act 2 and then act 3, uh, happens. But I think the core premise is vigilantism, or, less simplistically, about improving things from within the system vs just breaking the system. But, again, it sort of... Never makes good on the premise. I really like Vesperia but boy does its plot never really go anywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
vesperia loses track of what it wants to be around the midway point and goes from what's described in the above post to a vaguely environmentalist plot where both the dilemma and the macguffin that solves the dilemma are introduced within maybe an hour of each other

it's very weird in retrospect but the character interactions were good enough to cover up the worst of it in the moment, pretty much the entire cast is fun in their own ways (except for the one introduced in the remaster, who was, and stop me if you've heard this one before, an old lady in a young girl's body who's smitten with the protagonist and talks about it a whole bunch)

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I am playing Return of the Obra Dinn for the first time, and I am so far only picking up on the most obvious clues: a person was obviously crushed by rigging, person A called out to person B by their name/rank so I can now identify person B, etc.

Can anyone help with general ideas of things I should be watching out and listening for or otherwise paying attention to?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

owl_pellet posted:

I am playing Return of the Obra Dinn for the first time, and I am so far only picking up on the most obvious clues: a person was obviously crushed by rigging, person A called out to person B by their name/rank so I can now identify person B, etc.

Can anyone help with general ideas of things I should be watching out and listening for or otherwise paying attention to?

Uniforms, accents, and any action taking place outside of the main event in each scene.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

You're doing fine. Keep taking notes. Also, crew member numbers are important. In the more hectic scenes, it will be hard to find everyone by just looking -- check your book on the part that says "X people were present" to checklist everyone.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Final Fantasy VI was the best of its era and is worth playing even with the new art, but the bonus material they've added for the remake is not good. Approach it at your own peril.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Does anyone know about the game "Sense - 不祥的预感: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story" and why its reviews would have such glittering texts as

"I bought this game to reward Top Hat Studio for giving a big middle finger to the SJW cancel mob on twitter who are trying to get the game censored. I wish more publishers / devs would do that instead of constantly bending the knee to them.

Having played it, I'm really enjoying it so far. And I love the art style."

and

"We all need to support developers who refuse to bend the knee to twitter snowflakes. This isn't really my cup of tea but I'm willing to give this game a try! So far so good"

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does anyone know about the game "Sense - 不祥的预感: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story" and why its reviews would have such glittering texts as

"I bought this game to reward Top Hat Studio for giving a big middle finger to the SJW cancel mob on twitter who are trying to get the game censored. I wish more publishers / devs would do that instead of constantly bending the knee to them.

and

"We all need to support developers who refuse to bend the knee to twitter snowflakes. This isn't really my cup of tea but I'm willing to give this game a try! So far so good"

The game has recently been released on Switch and, apparently, the boobs were too big, so some people complained about it - with death threats and all - but the devs stood by their boobs. Maybe there's more to it than that, I don't know.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

StrixNebulosa posted:

and

The publishers are a GamerGate outfit who received some lovely messages on Twitter, conflated them with the actual criticism they got and bragged about never bowing down to censorship people who think the graphics look dumb

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Note that the game had been out since August without really kicking up much of a fuss on Steam - mostly positive reviews, even if that was around 60 total before the publishers put out their statement. Some complaints about the art style or the game style, which is just pretty standard for a video game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Xarbala posted:

You should also beat the management minigame anyway since it maxes Eri's bond level and unlocks the strongest lightning-element heat move in the game for Ichi.

You also end up unlocking Eri as an usable employee for the mini-game at some point. And even although it's her family business that you are propelling to absolute success and you are constantly interacting with her during the business mini-game, Eri might notify you at some point that employee Eri Kamataki has been approached by a different company and will switch jobs unless you give her a pay raise.

It's a Roger a Muirebe-esque moment.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 5, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blattdorf posted:

The game has recently been released on Switch and, apparently, the boobs were too big, so some people complained about it - with death threats and all - but the devs stood by their boobs. Maybe there's more to it than that, I don't know.

So a tempest in a D-cup?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm playing Else Heart.Break() which is supposedly a completely weirdo hacking game (set in a weird town) where even discovering how to do the hacking is a big mystery. There's been reviews of the game where people don't even get to the actual meat of the game. It's really disconcerting. I've played for forty five minutes, and the little I've read is already making me think I've missed out on the big mystery.

It feels a lot like the few minutes I played of Disco Elysium where it feels like you're missing out on something crucial as you bumble through.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mierenneuker posted:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon

You also end up unlocking Eri as an usable employee for the mini-game at some point. And even although it's her family business that you are propelling to absolute success and you are constantly interacting with her during the business mini-game, Eri might notify you at some point that employee Eri Kamataki has been approached by a different company and will switch jobs unless you give her a pay raise.

It's a Roger a Muirebe-esque moment.

The thing that got me about unlocking Eri was that she's the capstone employee you get for completing the business mini-game.

And she's not a very good employee.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

The bizzare thing is, the huge wall of negative comments the developers posted was full of transphobia and TERF-specific rhetoric directed at the developers

I don't know why TERFs got so riled up about a huge anime titty game, but that context is being glossed over anyway to blame the SJWs who hate big boob

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 5, 2021

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

err posted:

Edit: older
Uhhh

Trails in the Sky seems like a good one!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky/

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Mrenda posted:

I'm playing Else Heart.Break() which is supposedly a completely weirdo hacking game (set in a weird town) where even discovering how to do the hacking is a big mystery. There's been reviews of the game where people don't even get to the actual meat of the game. It's really disconcerting. I've played for forty five minutes, and the little I've read is already making me think I've missed out on the big mystery.

It feels a lot like the few minutes I played of Disco Elysium where it feels like you're missing out on something crucial as you bumble through.

Else Heart.Break() is pretty cool I had a fun time tearing it apart after I got into the hacking. If you follow along the obvious story it will get you where you need to go just pay attention to what is weird about Dorisburg. If you just want to jump straight into the hacking I can post some hints.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Mrenda posted:

I would highly recommend finding a walkthrough for the first part- it's absurdly easy to miss the guy who introduces you to hacking, and spend the entire game as a door-to-door soda salesman.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Stickman posted:

What's this one? Do you mean Super Dungeon Tactics?

Yes, sorry. Slightly misremembered name ha

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Also double post, which of the Tales games are good? I remember one on steam is really good, one is bad or mediocre, and Symphonia is super old

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Symphonia is old. Some people have strong nostalgia for it but it's pretty janky these days and the plot basically boils down to FANTASY RACISM. Zestiria is pretty close to being objectively terrible. Uninspired maps, an unintuitive and grindy equipment system, a combat system that has severe structural issues (SPELLCASTERS) and a plot that is so incredibly detestable it got actively retconned by its prequel and ALSO by its anime. Berseria is the one most people agree is very good. It has a good cast of characters, an interesting plot and a fun if somewhat simplistic combat system.

Vesperia is... contentious, among fans. Some people really love it (like me) while others can't get over the slower paced combat system and meandering and confused main plot. I feel it's still worth playing though, but I'm obviously biased.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

nordichammer posted:

Also double post, which of the Tales games are good?

Honestly? None of them. They are all budget JRPGs that do little of interest when compared to their peers. Some have better battle systems (Grace), others try to be more clever with their story while not sticking the landing (Vesperia, Berseria), and others are just outright comfort food (Symphonia, Xillia, Hearts).

They aren't awful, per se. Just mediocre in a lot of aspects depending on the game.

Recommendation: go play one of the Atelier games of the Dusk trilogy (Ayesha or Escha&Logy) for something different and, if you have a ton of free time, dive deep into the Trails series (sooo good), or just go check an older good Final Fantasy like XII or IX (modded with HD graphics) if you have never played those. edit: and if you never played Persona 4 either, go check it out ASAP.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well, Tales games do have something none of the ones you mentioned have: An active combat system. If they're interested in something more active none of your suggestions really supply it.