Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

jre posted:

:shepicide: slashdot

kuro5hin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

funny thing u remembered that is
not my first posting home

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jre posted:

lol fark, but i read sa articles then

lots of irc for years before

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hardly surprising since its computre, but Slashdot posters seem to be about 100% fascists now.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
before SA I posted on Zophar’s Domain

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Achmed Jones posted:

i really miss gamefaqs style guides to be honest. these days most everything a video with a bunch of ads and stupid voiceovers and it's impossible to find the actual bit you care about. i just want to go to the section for "level seven" and read what i'm supposed to do. dont get me wrong, text with ample screenshots is way better than text alone, but i'll take text-only with sick ascii art over lovely videos any day

steam guides are a nice in between when they actually have something
i still head to gamefaqs first

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hardly surprising since its computre, but Slashdot posters seem to be about 100% fascists now.

Now ?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK but like 15 years ago the fascists were talking about computre, not how much they love fascism and how much they hate things that aren't fasxits, and AOC

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I just remembered albinoblacksheep forums

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i started on forums.somethingawful.com

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I posted a lot on the pc gamer UK forums in like 1999, I really hope that poo poo is deleted though they were a pretty chill place actually all things considered

edit: i think I was maybe 15 idk.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

some team fortress classic forums probably

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
gamefaqs until i got banned for joking i was 8 years old. i was told that to lift the ban, i had to send what was essentially an id theft kit to show i really was over 13. i declined

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

jre posted:

I remember the waves the voices from the hellmouth posts made when America was freaking the gently caress out after columbine

:allears: the days when school shootings were rare

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i started on the official counter strike off-topic forum

then when it was taken over by gamespy there was a spinoff forum where all the regulars moved to

that forum is now lost to time

thank loving god

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

that forum is now lost to time

thank loving god

same wrt aforementioned team fortress classic forums

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I used to read Slashdot for news in the 90s rather than treat it like a forum or something, I mainly stuck to Usenet

SA’s the only “web” forum I’ve ever used consistently, and only really started posting consistently after Awful.app was written

web pages absolutely suck for anything but running queries and reading, and people need to stop loving trying to push them into roles for which they’re not suited

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the forums should really just be:

• a Kerberos server for authentication;
  • an LDAP server for identity (avatars and red text and such); and,
  • an NNTP server for posts.

and of course the post content should be text/x-bbcode rather than loving HTML, and if you want server-hosted image embeds etc. that’s what MIME multipart message bodies are for

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I’d probably hand jeffery a chunk of change for NNTP support at this point.

Goddamn, reading and posting from emacs + gnus... mmmmmhhhhh

Beard got a little grayer just thinking about it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

usenet is great but in the year of progress 2021, the client landscape is decidedly not

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So true!

> usenet is great but in the year of progress 2021, the client landscape is decidedly not

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol there was a really early release of a Neil Breen movie I saw mentioned somewhere last year, but it was posted to Usenet 'incognito' with only an ID string as a filename, it wasn't picked up by any indexer so I picked up a no-poo poo Usenet reader to download and boy I'd forgotten how far we have come in ease of use for internet tools.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
started at gamefaqs, moved to penny arcade forums, and heard of SA from there.

I was so into gamefaqs too. my granny ran her own antique shop since the 60s, and in summers I worked for her as manual labor because old ladies can't move furniture and stuff. she would often go on buying trips and leave me to run the store (I was ~16), and most of her clients werent the type to just drop in so I was pretty much alone all day. I used my laptop I bought at a pawn shop to tie up her fax line and just read me some gamefaqs. I read walkthroughs from top to bottom as a sort of sick bored let's play. also got in big trouble because whoops people were trying to send invoices and poo poo to her but because of my horrible addiction the line was busy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

honestly? don't remember how I found SA. there was just photoshop fridays and weekend web in my browser one day. before that I was reading the brunching shuttlecocks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

klosterdev posted:

I started on gamefaqs.com

Also, gamefaqs.com lmao text-based guides with the dumb ASCII art on top

hell yes

gamefaqs was the only place I’ve posted under a different handle

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i like how the top comment on every youtube video about how to solve thing is always like “8:23” and has more likes than the video itself

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

honestly? don't remember how I found SA. there was just photoshop fridays and weekend web in my browser one day. before that I was reading the brunching shuttlecocks

I think it was an friend on icq sharing the icq pranks with me

poo poo I wish I still remembered my icq number, it wasn't super low but it was slightly shorter

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i got pretty friendly with a dude on another forum and he kept bugging me to join here before it became a paid membership, but i forgot and ended up having to fork over the :10bux:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

jesus WEP posted:

i like how the top comment on every youtube video about how to solve thing is always like “8:23” and has more likes than the video itself

Someone wading through sewage and filth to unclog the drain for all of us. True heroes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just remembered that I bought a forums account instead of just reading it when it was free specifically to ask a question in shsc about fixing a hard drive that I'd totalled from torrenting in the days before checkpoints or whatever they were.

I got through like 4 of those trash 80gb maxtor hdds

idk where I heard about SA from. Maybe a link on (shudders) fark to a photoshop phriday?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

after lowtax left planetquake i emailed him asking where cranky steves map reviews had gone and he replied with a link to SA

only bothered getting a forums account after hearing that it had good torrents, but those sections were then later closed after the mpaa lawsuits started

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh! I remember one of the first SA things I saw was the p-p-p-powerbook

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

first forum I posted on was for The Sims back in like 2001. last I checked it still exists :pwn:

I don't know how the gently caress I ended up here. possibly from the "terrible secret of space" flash animation which linked to the original ICQ prank

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

SO DEMANDING posted:

first forum I posted on was for The Sims back in like 2001. last I checked it still exists :pwn:

I don't know how the gently caress I ended up here. possibly from the "terrible secret of space" flash animation which linked to the original ICQ prank

it was pretty cool to see pre-release "non-public" developer screenshots of Sims 2 developer builds here before it was released.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i started my terrible addiction to forums at the old annihilated.com Total Annihilation fan forum sometime in 1999

a fellow poster there who went by the username meltdown chatted me up on ICQ and in late 2000 he started sending me links to stuff on the SA forums

i registered during one of the early free-reg periods that used to occasionally happen back then. mostly just lurked my first year or two.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also holy poo poo as of three days ago i've been a member of this place for twenty years :stare:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

same here in a few months buddy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

the forums should really just be:

• a Kerberos server for authentication;
  • an LDAP server for identity (avatars and red text and such); and,
  • an NNTP server for posts.

and of course the post content should be text/x-bbcode rather than loving HTML, and if you want server-hosted image embeds etc. that’s what MIME multipart message bodies are for

rotor alt spotted

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

idk where I heard about SA from. Maybe a link on (shudders) fark to a photoshop phriday?

i loving loved jeff k and cliff yablonski which eventually lead me to the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

crazysim posted:

it was pretty cool to see pre-release "non-public" developer screenshots of Sims 2 developer builds here before it was released.

*squints at username* you didn't post on a mildly popular sims forum ~19 years ago, per chance?

also that sounds neat, any more to the story? my interest in the sims fell off pretty rapidly so not surprised I didn't see that.