Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wow not even giving Megaquarium the time of day!

This one is great, my go to for when I'm on the go and want to scratch a management game itch so it's available on switch and the controls are pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm going to make a Homesteading thread. If people could IM me suggested games, I'll make up an OP. Don't want to workshop it in Mayveena's Management thread.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
You can workshop it here, it's fine in my opinion :) The two sub genres are certainly related.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Folks please talk up the games you like!! The OP is not meant to be a 'these games and only these games' kind of thing. The games listed are either popular because of discussion here and elsewhere, consistently in the Steam 100 most played games, or (like Dwarf Fortress) games that meaningful to the sub genre. The list has to stop somewhere otherwise it loses value. And just to let people know, I can't stand Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress, Prison Architect, ONI and still am trying to enjoy Workers and Resources.

Tell us why megaquarium is so good. I bounced off of it pretty hard myself, but maybe I missed something or maybe it's gotten a lot better since I played it a year ago.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Subnautica could be added to base building games. Probably wouldn't have gotten into Satisfactory if I didn't have the base building itch I got from Subnautica, now after 500 hours of factory construction I've had to start over on a new save because there's so much stuff in my game world that the framerate has become unplayable.

Is Astroneer worth a look after playing so much Satisfactory? The looming update 4 for Satisfactory has kind of disincentivized playing it, knowing any late-game production lines are going to break when it drops. Had my eye on Astroneer for a while but it looks a lot more casual and potentially shallow by comparison.

Subnautica is definitely more of a Base Building game than Astroneer is. I'm actually surprised to see Astroneer is considered base building..

Astroneer really should be under the Factory listing, if anything.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 5, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm going to make a Homesteading thread. If people could IM me suggested games, I'll make up an OP. Don't want to workshop it in Mayveena's Management thread.

Well, off the top of the dome you got Stranded Deep and Raft as your sea based survivors. Grabbed Stranded Deep on the Epic Advent Calendar, and it looks like wet The Forest. Raft is more, gamey and plate spinny. I'm getting this title wrong but if Boatsteading is a subgenre then Flame in The Flood is a love letter to appalachia and the mississippi river, plz include, extremely arcady compared.

The Long Dark I've only played base game and it is... Immersive. I do genuinely feel like I stumbled into an abandoned town chopping up chairs for firewood.

Then you got the grandaddy OG UnRealworld where your nodically homestead log by log. I bounced off HARD, but I watched a_raving_loon do a run or two.

Then you have all of the Harvest Moon-likes. Good luck with that list. I will always rep PS1 HM and the DS Rune Something's. I've played Graveyard Keeper twice and I felt like I was actually dead and in a hell of my own doing.

That's most of what I got, glhf

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Subnautica is definitely more of a Base Building game than Astroneer is. I'm actually surprised to see Astroneer is considered base building.. Astroneer really should be under the Factory listing, if anything.

How can Astroneer be a factory game? At least in the style of Factorio. Until very recently it had no automation at all. One thing maybe I'll do one day is list games in multiple categories but pretty busy at the moment and then we'll still have the disagreements. However I may do it one day anyway.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I don't think that ive put enough hours into Megaqarium to give it a proper "this is why the game is good" post but I'd like to do it for one of my favorite management games and the game that introduced me to the genre: OpenTTD

Don't let the graphics turn you off, I personally like them but there are graphic packs you can get to "update" them since the game is open source. It's a really great game if you like trains of course, but what I love about it is how you can scale it to whatever you want to do.

Want to just have some model train sets and play around with them? Give yourself unlimited money and turn off the competition and have fun building!

Want to start with a loan and build a complete empire full of trains, cars, buses, ships, and planes? You can do that too!

And you can do anything in between! It's very simple to learn basic train and transportation set ups, and then you can advance at your own pace into incredibly advanced and complex systems. There's essentially no limit to how simple or complex you can make the game, so fine tune it to whatever you like!

It's also a nice brain workout. It's incredibly satisfying to learn how to build train systems, learn train signals, learn how the various transport systems interacts. Learning the business side is fun too, and if you like "numbers go up" games this has plenty of it!

It's a little old, and a little obtuse at times, but in general if you're looking for a train game that can run on any computer, it's my go to.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As we were given the OK to post in this thread...

Stardew Valley, obviously.
My Time In Portia, slightly less obviously.
Farming Simulator XX (19 is the latest,) far less obviously.

I wouldn't have included FS until a few days ago when I picked it up. But it really is as if someone took the Hit the Ground With X Tool in those homesteading games, but instead of you just pressing X a few times in the morning, the spun it out into a game where you drive tractors and attachments up and down a field all day long. It's weirdly soothing, homesteading meets Truck Simulator.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

7 Days to Die in the Homesteading thread?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

While I would strongly recommend Subnautica to everyone, I wouldn't recommend it as a base builder. Your bases just don't really do much of anything other than look cool and help you upgrade your vehicles. I can absolutely respect someone who wants to build a cool nuclear powered underwater viewing dome to watch the striders go by, but it's just not scratching the same kinds of itches for me to call it a base builder.

I do get a massive kick out of pimping out my submarine into a nearly totally self sustaining mobile oppression palace, so maybe I'm undermining myself slightly on this one.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mrenda posted:

As we were given the OK to post in this thread...

My Time In Portia, slightly less obviously.

Been cracking open My Time At Portia, also from the Advent Calandar. It is a baby game for babies.

It is also charming. The UI for building stuff is split between 3 different interfaces and it is confusing how it is metered out. The path to building your first box is a wild scramble and when I finally found the box button after 2 hours of onboarding I put it down.

Seems fine and I might actually use this on my child to infect him with the same brainworms I got.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mayveena posted:

How can Astroneer be a factory game? At least in the style of Factorio. Until very recently it had no automation at all. One thing maybe I'll do one day is list games in multiple categories but pretty busy at the moment and then we'll still have the disagreements. However I may do it one day anyway.

I picked it up last night and played a few hours. Not very far yet but one of the research trees has a robot arm that looks like the ones from Factorio and there are references to input/output mechanics. It's been relatively "casual" so far but looks like the base building complexity ramps up at least slightly as you advance in the tech tree.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like Megaquarium you can have fishies in a tank and you want to make your fishies extremely happy so you make excel sheets for your fishies to understand if they are going to be bFFs or maybe eat each other and you need to make sure they are warm or cold so they are happy and I am happy oh and I guess sometimes visitors come but really who cares about them

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

I like Megaquarium you can have fishies in a tank and you want to make your fishies extremely happy so you make excel sheets for your fishies to understand if they are going to be bFFs or maybe eat each other and you need to make sure they are warm or cold so they are happy and I am happy oh and I guess sometimes visitors come but really who cares about them

Ah, so it hits Seaman vibes with deeper mechanics and less Leanard Nemoy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My basic list of homesteading games is

Stardew Valley
Slime Rancher
My Time At Portia
Ooblets (early access; twee and overcute but definitely a farmsteading game)
Animal Crossing
Graveyard Keeper
MicroTown
Doraemon: Story of Seasons
Farming Simulator (thanks, I was wondering which of these to put; are there others?)
?? Farm for your Life

Many of these have their own threads, which will be linked to.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

Been cracking open My Time At Portia, also from the Advent Calandar. It is a baby game for babies.

It's a completely silly game. Not silly-fun, just ridiculously stupid that you would expect any idiot to play it for longer than two hours, which is why I played it for about sixty hours. Because achieving easy things in a silly game can be enjoyable until you lie down at night, getting some rest for a hard day doing serious real world stuff and think, "What the hell am I doing with my free time?" Then I play it again the next day.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mrenda posted:

It's a completely silly game. Not silly-fun, just ridiculously stupid that you would expect any idiot to play it for longer than two hours, which is why I played it for about sixty hours. Because achieving easy things in a silly game can be enjoyable until you lie down at night, getting some rest for a hard day doing serious real world stuff and think, "What the hell am I doing with my free time?" Then I play it again the next day.

I know right. The trickle feed of tasks just hits right, like a novelty foam hammer of difficulty. I do find the child like innocence endearing and charming.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

I know right. The trickle feed of tasks just hits right, like a novelty foam hammer of difficulty. I do find the child like innocence endearing and charming.

Although I really struggled with one of the boss fights (the giant mouse/rat king guy, I think.) It's me, the middle aged woman who struggles with children's games.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a lot better with the mod that effectively removes the entire mining minigame

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Azhais posted:

It's a lot better with the mod that effectively removes the entire mining minigame

Awesome.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

I like how Mr Commerce Man says oh "you're going to have to go down to the mines at least once to do the bridge thing, no biggie." Dude did not tell me I needed to set up a timeshare in that mine which would have been a more appropriate warning.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That mining minigame is the worst, lol. It drove me away from the game so I might have to come back and try again if there's a mod to remove it from the game.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Newbie W&R question - asphalt and cement can't be stored anywhere, right? So I need to be shipping gravel, cement, and bitumen somewhat near all my construction offices/construction projects?

(I'm starting it thanks to a gift in the LP thread, so it's taking me a bit to figure everything out. So far I have a basic oil refinery, plus fuel/oil export going and citizens who are really mad that they can't go to church. No idea how to build a church, but whatever.)

e: Also, it looks like there's no way to take a conveyor over a road? That's really frustrating for building my cement/prefab/coal area.

e2: Is there an easy way to re-order the stops on a line? I'd like to be able to insert less-populated workplaces above my coal mine, for instance.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 5, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is there a good YouTube/twitch channel to learn about ONI? I feel like it’s the one of these I want to try next after my 100something hours in Rimworld but I’d like to learn about it first.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anno posted:

Is there a good YouTube/twitch channel to learn about ONI? I feel like it’s the one of these I want to try next after my 100something hours in Rimworld but I’d like to learn about it first.

Nilaus has been playing it lately if you're into an insane min/maxer.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

A_raving_loon if you want to see the lower limit of a machine functioning through half remembered formulae and van wizard aesthetic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Arcturas posted:

Newbie W&R question - asphalt and cement can't be stored anywhere, right? So I need to be shipping gravel, cement, and bitumen somewhat near all my construction offices/construction projects?

(I'm starting it thanks to a gift in the LP thread, so it's taking me a bit to figure everything out. So far I have a basic oil refinery, plus fuel/oil export going and citizens who are really mad that they can't go to church. No idea how to build a church, but whatever.)

e: Also, it looks like there's no way to take a conveyor over a road? That's really frustrating for building my cement/prefab/coal area.

e2: Is there an easy way to re-order the stops on a line? I'd like to be able to insert less-populated workplaces above my coal mine, for instance.
Gravel, cement, and bitumen are indeed what you want to ship to work sites since asphalt and cement storable only in trucks.

Not being able to build a church is a running soviet joke. They must be prebuilt on the map because the player can't build one. It isn't a huge drag in the grand scheme.

You can fly conveyors over roads with strategic tower placement.

You can't reorder lines easily but my workflow here would be to make the one new line then assign it to everyone on the old one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Anno posted:

Francis John is by far the best IMHO. He talks fast, and he has a series of bite-sized intros that are awesome.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Arcturas posted:

Everything zed said, with a few adds:

Cement, not concrete, can be stored. Under storage there is a cement tank building. If I recall it’s pretty expensive to build.

Even if you want to stay vanilla I recommend at least getting the “roadside conveyors” mod. This saves just so much frustration with conveyors it should be vanilla.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Francis John is by far the best IMHO. He talks fast, and he has a series of bite-sized intros that are awesome.

Honorable mention to Brothgar who has a similar energy with a completely different accent

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Honorable mention to Brothgar who has a similar energy with a completely different accent

Brothgar always seems to want to do weird things, so he hasn't been a help to me in actually learning to play well.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Picked it up yesterday and I can see the comparison - the other four games filed into Base Building are in the Dwarf Fortress vein (you get a bunch of pawns, build and defend a settlement that meets their needs) whereas Astroneer skews closer to Minecraft-with-Tech-Mods with its personally collecting materials and base building mostly involving building various machines.

Makes it at least a cousin of Factorio, which jumped off the same starting point

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

"Pingcode" posted:

Astroneer skews closer to Minecraft-with-Tech-Mods

Absolutely and that’s why I enjoyed it so much.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

How does Astroneer play these days in the later game?

When I first tried it, it was prior to a lot of its content that dealt with building, vehicles, etc. I'm not really interested in finding a new color of cave, and at the time it felt like there was about 2-4 hours of building and crafting to drop you into the 'infinite' hours of different colored, but essentially samey environments.

If I don't like looking at new randomly generated terrain, what's my end game?

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

When I first tried it, it was prior to a lot of its content that dealt with building, vehicles, etc. I'm not really interested in finding a new color of cave, and at the time it felt like there was about 2-4 hours of building and crafting to drop you into the 'infinite' hours of different colored, but essentially samey environments.

First off love the W and R play thru. I played this over the summer, it was fun but didn't really get past what you are describing. If you haven't played Satisfactory I recommend that over astroneer. I don't think the exploration part is much better, but the factory building and logistic chaining is superb.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Grevlek posted:

First off love the W and R play thru. I played this over the summer, it was fun but didn't really get past what you are describing. If you haven't played Satisfactory I recommend that over astroneer. I don't think the exploration part is much better, but the factory building and logistic chaining is superb.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying doing an LP playthrough and I absolutely swore I would never do an LP. Funny how that works out.

I have played satisfactory (I own it) but I haven't touched it since launch, basically. Always been in my backlog now that its seen a bunch of patches, but just haven't found the mood. I suppose that just confirms my personal Astroneer take of "Good, but not better than other options" for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Relevant to a couple of the games in this thread:

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1346607866996670464

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

They have an end game of going to all the planets and activating these monuments. I ignore it, I just like the randomly based exploration. The automation has done a lot for the base building component, but because SystemDev doesn't permit mods, you'll be on your own with it. I have over 1,000 hours in the game myself so there could be some bias :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Unfortunately, there's really only a need to go to 2 or so other planets to get all the materials you need to build everything in the game. And since there's no easter eggs or anything to find while exploring on any of the other planets, the drive to explore is super limited beyond a huge grind to unlock the "end game" goal which just rolls the credits.