Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Speaking of re-heating, we have some leftovers from last nights steaks. Any cool inside tips y’all have to reheat these bad boys? Normally I throw them in the oven or something and it’s like 70% as good as fresh, but am very open to new ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Speaking of cooking from frozen, I did an "experiment" yesterday. I buy boneless skinless chicken breast pre-frozen, 10 pounds at a time since they're cheaper that way. This works well for my normal kitchen routine, but it's not great for sous vide since you'd usually want to season the chicken in the bag before freezing, which would require thawing and refreezing.

Anyway, I took a huge 3+ inch breast straight from the freezer into the SV at 155 for four hours, and it came out perfectly cooked edge to edge. Probably could have gone with a lower temp or a shorter time, but I just wanted to make sure the whole concept worked in practice first.

It was bland, of course, but it's a great option if you need some plain BSCB for chicken salad or whatever without having to go through the usual routine of butterflying or beating it down with a mallet or you just need some chicken breast without 24+ hours of thawing.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

TraderStav posted:

Speaking of re-heating, we have some leftovers from last nights steaks. Any cool inside tips y’all have to reheat these bad boys? Normally I throw them in the oven or something and it’s like 70% as good as fresh, but am very open to new ideas.

FWIW, you can reheat stuff with your sous vide gear.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lester Shy posted:

Speaking of cooking from frozen, I did an "experiment" yesterday. I buy boneless skinless chicken breast pre-frozen, 10 pounds at a time since they're cheaper that way. This works well for my normal kitchen routine, but it's not great for sous vide since you'd usually want to season the chicken in the bag before freezing, which would require thawing and refreezing.

Anyway, I took a huge 3+ inch breast straight from the freezer into the SV at 155 for four hours, and it came out perfectly cooked edge to edge. Probably could have gone with a lower temp or a shorter time, but I just wanted to make sure the whole concept worked in practice first.

It was bland, of course, but it's a great option if you need some plain BSCB for chicken salad or whatever without having to go through the usual routine of butterflying or beating it down with a mallet or you just need some chicken breast without 24+ hours of thawing.
If you're buying meat frozen you can just take whatever you're going to use out of its cryopak (or whatever), season, and re-bag (however you bag stuff for s-v when it doesn't already come in a bag). Then cook it at whatever temp you'd cook it if it wasn't frozen, adding like half an hour, 45 minutes to the cook time depending on the thickness.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TraderStav posted:

I know you asked about reheating, but tbh I really love keeping it chilled and making something like this . We now make sure to have extra because it's such a hit. Otherwise reheating in the sous vide works alright but you might miss that crust.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

SubG posted:

If you're buying meat frozen you can just take whatever you're going to use out of its cryopak (or whatever), season, and re-bag (however you bag stuff for s-v when it doesn't already come in a bag). Then cook it at whatever temp you'd cook it if it wasn't frozen, adding like half an hour, 45 minutes to the cook time depending on the thickness.

This never even occurred to me. For some reason, adding seasoning to rock solid frozen meat did not compute, but it's all gonna be in the bag together at the right temperature eventually, so it makes sense.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

I'm currently doing a 48hr short rib for dinner tomorrow, but the 48hrs will be up this evening. Will there be any adverse effects if I just leave it in until tomorrow evening, or would it be better to stick it in the fridge, then reheat in the sous vide an hour or two before serving tomorrow?

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Marshal Plugnut posted:

I'm currently doing a 48hr short rib for dinner tomorrow, but the 48hrs will be up this evening. Will there be any adverse effects if I just leave it in until tomorrow evening, or would it be better to stick it in the fridge, then reheat in the sous vide an hour or two before serving tomorrow?

I’m afraid your plan for 48 hour short ribs will be completely ruined if you leave them in until tomorrow evening. However, you will have delicious 72 hour short ribs which should be just as good if not better assuming your temperature is reasonable. My magic number is 144 when I puddle short ribs.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, 72 hour short ribs are one of the most famous Modernist Cuisine recipes. More info here https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/72-hour-braised-short-ribs/

quote:

Cooking the ribs at 62 °C / 144 °F for 72 hours will result in a tender, flaky meat with a pink hue, but you may prefer a different color or texture. By varying the cooking time and temperature, you can produce dramatically different textures. For example, to achieve the color and texture of medium-rare steak, cook the ribs sous vide at 58 °C / 136 °F for 72 hours. For something in between, cook the ribs at 60 °C / 140 °F, as we did in this recipe. For a very flaky temperature similar to a traditional braise, cook them at 88 °C / 190 °F for just 7 hours.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

Ah, well conveniently the recipe I was working off was at 144f so I'll just leave them in till tomorrow if that's a decent temp. Thanks!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I made the Serious Eats sous vide carnitas today. They turned out OK, but by the time they started crisping under the broiler they were too dry.

Could be my electric apartment-grade broiler just wasn't up to the task, but I'd do a couple things differently next time, namely try to keep the shreds/chunks more uniform and pack them more tightly together (like in the article picture, mine were a bit spread out).

Or I'll just crisp them in a pan :v:

mls
Jun 6, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

I made the Serious Eats sous vide carnitas today. They turned out OK, but by the time they started crisping under the broiler they were too dry.

Could be my electric apartment-grade broiler just wasn't up to the task, but I'd do a couple things differently next time, namely try to keep the shreds/chunks more uniform and pack them more tightly together (like in the article picture, mine were a bit spread out).

Or I'll just crisp them in a pan :v:

I had the same experience, it would even start to burn in some areas before the rest became crispy. I went ahead and put some in the air fryer prior to serving and had excellent results, highly recommend it. I may have also quickly pan fried them in bacon fat to increase the oil/fat content prior to putting them in the air fryer. There are a few foods that I like to finish in the air fryer (namely al pastor and carnitas), mine is Philips and does a much better job than my convection oven.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
:prepop: I have an air fryer (Cosori, with the large square tray) and didn't even think of that!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just did sous vide steaks for the first time ever (playing around with the immersion circulator i got for christmas), and while the completely consistent medium-rare was entirely as advertised and a guarantee that i'm cooking any future steaks by sous vide, i had a few issues i'm trying to trouble shoot.

first, i read that you should use less salt when going with sous vide, so i salted the whole steak with about half the normal amount, but on the plate the flavor didn't quite pop in a way that makes me think under salting. how do you folks normally handle salting for sous vide? would it be bad to put no salt in the bag and just salt the normal amount before the sear so i can eyeball better? should I just do a full salting before putting it in the bag?

second, how do i get a really great crust when dealing with a sous vide steak? my pans were a little crowed because i had to cook five steaks at once, but i still felt like even with a rip roaring pan i was hesitant to leave it on too long and ruin the perfect interior. I probably did about a minute total with four flips every fifteen seconds, but i ddin't get the truly impressive sear i've managed to get on reverse seared steaks in the past using the same range top. any bits of advice?

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 4, 2021

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

just did sous vide steaks for the first time ever (playing around with the immersion circulator i got for christmas), and while the completely consistent medium-rare was entirely as advertised and a guarantee that i'm cooking any future steaks by sous vide, i had a few issues i'm trying to trouble shoot.

first, i read that you should use less salt when going with sous vide, so i used the whole steak with about half the normal amount, but on the plate the flavor didn't quite pop in a way that makes me think under salting. how do you folks normally handle salting for sous vide? would it be bad to put no salt in the bag and just salt the normal amount before the sear so i can eyeball better? should I just do a full salting before putting it in the bag?

second, how do i get a really great crust when dealing with a sous vide steak? my pans were a little crowed because i had to cook five steaks at once, but i still felt like even with a rip roaring pan i was hesitant to leave it on too long and ruin the perfect interior. I probably did about a minute total with four flips every fifteen seconds, but i ddin't get the truly impressive sear i've managed to get on reverse seared steaks in the past using the same range top. any bits of advice?

if you're salting just before going into the bag and cooking then be generous with it

before searing, pat the steaks dry and maybe prop them up and let them air dry/cool a little bit. they've been stewing in their own juices for a while and you want to get the outside as dry as possible before searing and letting them cool a little give you a bit more leeway in the pan. also, i highly recommend using some oil and butter in the pan and basting the top of the steak with it while the other side gets the direct heat; it further helps drive the moisture off and encourages delicious browning.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anyone got any good recipes for vegetarian dishes to do in a puddle?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mls posted:

I had the same experience, it would even start to burn in some areas before the rest became crispy. I went ahead and put some in the air fryer prior to serving and had excellent results, highly recommend it. I may have also quickly pan fried them in bacon fat to increase the oil/fat content prior to putting them in the air fryer. There are a few foods that I like to finish in the air fryer (namely al pastor and carnitas), mine is Philips and does a much better job than my convection oven.

Out of curiosity, how hot does your air fryer get? I think mine maxes out at 400F.

mls
Jun 6, 2006

Zarin posted:

Out of curiosity, how hot does your air fryer get? I think mine maxes out at 400F.

It says 375, it’s the original air fryer I’ve had for 5 years. I think the reason it does better than my convection oven is the high air flow, I’ve had plenty of pepperonis fly off the pizza.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NPR Journalizard posted:

Anyone got any good recipes for vegetarian dishes to do in a puddle?

There are the classic retrowhatever potatoes, but also carrots done in SV are very...carroty and perfect in texture. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Subjunctive posted:

There are the classic retrowhatever potatoes, but also carrots done in SV are very...carroty and perfect in texture. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

I highly suggest actual vacuum bags rather than ziplocks if you’re going to try this recipe. 180F seems to be pushing the limits of ziplocks, because I’ve had several tear doing carrots, but rarely have issues at popular meat temps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eddiewalker posted:

I highly suggest actual vacuum bags rather than ziplocks if you’re going to try this recipe. 180F seems to be pushing the limits of ziplocks, because I’ve had several tear doing carrots, but rarely have issues at popular meat temps.

Ah yes, good tip. I did it with vacuum bags, IIRC.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

mls posted:

I’m afraid your plan for 48 hour short ribs will be completely ruined if you leave them in until tomorrow evening. However, you will have delicious 72 hour short ribs which should be just as good if not better assuming your temperature is reasonable. My magic number is 144 when I puddle short ribs.

Exactly. I do mine for 72 hours @ 144 as well before crisping the daylights out of them in cast iron.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

Exactly. I do mine for 72 hours @ 144 as well before crisping the daylights out of them in cast iron.

Yeah, they stayed in for the full 72 and came out amazing. The next experiment is going to be a nice piece of brisket- sv it till cooked, then into the smoker for a few hours to get some good smoke and bark onto it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Yeah, they stayed in for the full 72 and came out amazing. The next experiment is going to be a nice piece of brisket- sv it till cooked, then into the smoker for a few hours to get some good smoke and bark onto it.

Kenji is great for this, except on his salt.

I was able to save the brisket but the juice was inedibly salty even after cutting into sauce.

Article
Sv Smoked Brisket

Recipe
SV Smoked Brisket

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oneiros posted:

if you're salting just before going into the bag and cooking then be generous with it

Uh oh, I went generous before putting them in the freezer.

I'm doing Chicken Breast for the first time tonight. Suggestions (other than Kenji's) on finishing them off? Planning to do 90 minutes at 142 degrees (it's already thawed)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I find that a lower temperature is no good for chicken breast, the texture is too gelatinous below at least 160

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sentient Data posted:

I find that a lower temperature is no good for chicken breast, the texture is too gelatinous below at least 160

Yeah, BSCB is very interesting in the absolutely wide array of textures you can make it by playing with the temp.

I don't recall offhand what temp I use for it, but I do know that what I've come to enjoy is something my dad immediately spits out because apparently he had a very bad experience with undercooked/raw chicken in the past. However, even when I up the temp to get the classic chicken breast texture, it's still more tender and moist than anything I ever made in a regular pan.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Uh oh, I went generous before putting them in the freezer.

probably fine if you threw them in the freezer, the salt isn't going to be doing much to frozen block

TraderStav posted:

I'm doing Chicken Breast for the first time tonight. Suggestions (other than Kenji's) on finishing them off? Planning to do 90 minutes at 142 degrees (it's already thawed)

Sentient Data posted:

yeah, 140°F chicken breast is...interesting. i usually don't bother with sous vide for chicken but when i do i go for 150° which seems to split the difference between more traditional cooking methods and the more extreme end of what you can do with sous vide. also makes for some fantastic chicken salad, imo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Interesting, the Kenji chicken breast recipe is really advocating for 140-145 but I'd gladly defer to all of your experience over a random article. If I did 150, would 90 minutes still be good, or stick more to an hour?

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Interesting, the Kenji chicken breast recipe is really advocating for 140-145 but I'd gladly defer to all of your experience over a random article. If I did 150, would 90 minutes still be good, or stick more to an hour?

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

I'll just say that I've done chicken at 145 before. I was not a fan. I knew that it was cooked and safe to eat but texture wise it felt like I was eating raw chicken. I just mentally couldn't do it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

TraderStav posted:

an hour and a half to two hours is still fine.

also, 140-145°F chicken isn't objectively bad, it can just be very off-putting especially if you've had a bad experience with undercooked chicken before and your brainstem is screaming "DANGER DANGER DANGER" the whole time you're chewing

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Oneiros posted:

also, 140-145°F chicken isn't objectively bad, it can just be very off-putting especially if you've had a bad experience with undercooked chicken before and your brainstem is screaming "DANGER DANGER DANGER" the whole time you're chewing

Try shredding it and putting it in chicken salad. I like really soft stringy BSCB in chicken salad and then you have great lunch for a few days. Doesn't have that undercooked reaction for me, but closer to poached. Bonus is that if you over season you just don't need to add salt to the mix.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sterster posted:

I'll just say that I've done chicken at 145 before. I was not a fan. I knew that it was cooked and safe to eat but texture wise it felt like I was eating raw chicken. I just mentally couldn't do it.

Oneiros posted:

Ok, please hold my hand here. 150 or 160 degrees for 90 or 120 minutes. I want a delicious chicken breast for my family for our second SV attempt, not to get adventurous or anything. If that guide is wrong (or not consistent with your experiences) that is fine and dandy for me and I trust the goon hive mind 10:1 all day long.

Following that, best way to finish it off? The instructions in that guide good enough or do you have better more delicious ways to do so?

I just really don't want to gently caress this up for our first try with chicken!

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Kenji is great for this, except on his salt.

I was able to save the brisket but the juice was inedibly salty even after cutting into sauce.

Article
Sv Smoked Brisket

Recipe
SV Smoked Brisket

That was actually the recipe that interested me, glad it comes recommended. Just less salt you say?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Nah Kenji salt is fine

Y’all for the chicken you better be getting the freshest never water added chicken available for 145 chicken breast. I’m not talking grocery store chicken but locally sourced direct from the farm.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Ok, please hold my hand here. 150 or 160 degrees for 90 or 120 minutes. I want a delicious chicken breast for my family for our second SV attempt, not to get adventurous or anything. If that guide is wrong (or not consistent with your experiences) that is fine and dandy for me and I trust the goon hive mind 10:1 all day long.

Following that, best way to finish it off? The instructions in that guide good enough or do you have better more delicious ways to do so?

I just really don't want to gently caress this up for our first try with chicken!

the guide isn't wrong, kenji just has different texture preferences than some people.

i'd say aim for 150° to start, maybe take one out a bit early and give it a taste to see how you like it. with sous vide you can almost always go a bit longer/hotter if you need to adjust but you can't un-cook stuff. if you like what it's doing you can try a little lower temp next time but i don't think 150° would be disappointing to anyone.

also yeah, just throw that sucker in a hot pan skin-side down with a bit of oil. easy breezy.

<edit> if you've got some white wine around a quick lemon butter pan sauce after you've seared the chicken would be great too

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 5, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
150-160 (I think I normally do 150) is much closer to what people will think of as a perfectly cooked chicken breast. Very juicy and tender. You might like the lower temperature, and maybe even think it's better, but it will be unlike you've had before (since sous vide is the only way to cook a chicken that low) and some people find it off-putting. Less tender and still having a bit of the raw sliminess.

xtal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 5, 2021

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

In my (limited) experience, it's helpful to take the meat out of the bag, pat it dry, and let it sit in the fridge uncovered for 30 minutes before searing. You'll be fighting any moisture on the exterior of the meat while trying to achieve a good sear; letting it dry out first drives off that moisture and lets you sear for longer without overcooking the interior of the meat.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks all! Just dropped it in the bath at 150 for 1:45. I feel better about it after hearing your feedback and not looking for that 'raw' feeling. Maybe I'll try it on my own sometime but not with the family.

Oneiros posted:

<edit> if you've got some white wine around a quick lemon butter pan sauce after you've seared the chicken would be great too

That sounds great, I may try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Sentient Data posted:

The best chicken breast I've found to be 149F and then charred afterward on the super hot grill.