Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Kivekkäät (singular: Kivekäs) were a group of Finnish partisans/robbers during the Russian occupation. They weren't apparently popular among the local population, because they stole from them as well.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 5, 2021

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

dismas posted:

I rewatched the 1991 Addam’s Family movie at Halloween and I think it holds up pretty well. It’s funny how many nods to the Monster Rally strips there are. (Also how much they got out of Gomez and Morticia just being extremely horny for each other)

I saw the second one recently. I love how Morticia nearly always has one of those 50s(?) focus lights on her eyes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (November 2-6, 1998)

:rip: Kell's dad, you never showed up on-panel while you were alive except for a hand or a leg here and there.

This won't be the last time characters have conversations with dead people. It's honestly bizarre: from these strips, it may seem they're simply remembering them, but later on the... Ghosts? Spirits? Apparitions? Whatever. Later on they will impart knowledge upon the living which they didn't previously have. Like, Kell's father will apologise for writing her out of his will unless she divorces Kevin (which is a crock of bullshit on his part), or Rudy's dad will give him pointers about how to deal with bullies.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Knowing that Ralph lost his ability to hunt because he fell in love with a prey species, it makes Kell and her mom huge jerks for making GBS threads on him like this. It also makes Ralph a better person than Kell because he developed some empathy that made him fully give up on killing prey species, whereas Kell has never once considered if what she's doing is wrong.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (February 19, 1918)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dismas posted:

I rewatched the 1991 Addam’s Family movie at Halloween and I think it holds up pretty well. It’s funny how many nods to the Monster Rally strips there are. (Also how much they got out of Gomez and Morticia just being extremely horny for each other)

The two Addam's Family holds up because they tell jokes instead of just referencing stuff. The Michael Jackson joke aged....weirdly though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 7, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 7, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 7, 1989)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (May 7, 1989)

I like this, look at all those facial expressions. The marks on the curtains are different in every frame and even the shadow of the blanket on the floor.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Deduction of points for having a star inside the crescent moon, a thing I never noticed until someone pointed it out, and now it drives me insane every time I see it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Poil posted:

I like this, look at all those facial expressions. The marks on the curtains are different in every frame and even the shadow of the blanket on the floor.

Yeah, I started posting old Garfield since no one else was, and I wanted to find out, along with everyone else, if it was ever actually any good, or if it was always just a merchandise machine with a comic strip attached to serve as (eventually vestigial) source material. I remembered liking the books that collected the strips a lot as a kid, but kid brains are what they are.

I personally concluded that it was, in fact, good: merchandising aside, there were actually good gags, and it was clearly hand-drawn with craft and care.

I never did the reading to find out when exactly it stopped being this way — part of the experiment is that I'm reading it one day at a time, allowing myself to be surprised, same as everyone here.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/4/01

Brenda Starr 4/22/45

Smokey Stover 3/19/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

If the last one sounds unlikely, go see Oh Baby!, Eggbert, or even Umberto the Unborn.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

If the last one sounds unlikely, go see Oh Baby!, Eggbert, or even Umberto the Unborn.
Also, Little Neuro is Petey's favorite comic in Cul De Sac.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, Little Neuro is Petey's favorite comic in Cul De Sac.

That Little Neuro strip feels like it's a bit too fast-paced for Petey's tastes.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Mr. Boop

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 24, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (OCt 10-11, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 23, 2018)

(Apr 25, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

At least he wasn't born a siamese Elephant. Instead of a trumpet he'd just go, "Nork!"

B Kliban

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This makes me feel uncomfortable. I do not like this.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

catlord posted:

I haven't seen it, but when they announced Oscar Isaac as Gomez for the recent one, I thought "that is some fantastic casting, I think if anyone can approach Raul Julia, it's him," and I was disappointed to hear it wasn't a very good movie.

It's fine, it's just very much a kids movie instead of being all ages like the Raul Julia ones.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

LingcodKilla posted:

This makes me feel uncomfortable. I do not like this.

i’m pretty sure it’s supposed to

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo, lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

My motherfucking life ends 15 minutes from now.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 07, 1943)

Thorg is looking a bit more intimidating than his first appearance:

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 27, 1937)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His giantism means he never stops growing and is in constant pain.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

nishi koichi posted:

i still haven’t seen the raul addams yet (bad goth!) so gomez is still john astin in my mind
I firmly believe that Gomez Addams was the role Raul Julia was born to play.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Nappila-Ekox-Ekoday, RIP.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Time to form another co-op in the factory, people!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

Say what you will about Moomin Pappa, he sets goal and accomplish them.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

why does foob so often read like "cruel little stories"?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

fondue posted:

At least he wasn't born a siamese Elephant. Instead of a trumpet he'd just go, "Nork!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqE_WmagjY&t=122s

Medenmath posted:

Thorg is looking a bit more intimidating than his first appearance:
In the final panel of the old one it looks like it says "...tries to save the fucker." :lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

The one contribution James Allen made to the MT canon that will live on is his tendency to destroy boats.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Who owns the land now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This whole arc keeps reminding me of this great post by one of our very own goon nurses:

Elise the Great posted:

It’s pathophysiology time, motherfuckers. (That will be the title of my children’s network show someday.)

We kinda tend to think of insulin and sugar as polar opposites. Too much insulin and your sugar goes away and your brain tissues starve; too little insulin and your blood sugar goes up and, uh, this is bad. Somehow.

That’s really just part of the picture. Yes, the syrupy-thick blood is super bad. Sugar is corrosive to the blood vessels (just ask any nurse who’s pushed dextrose 50% into an IV and watched the vein blow) and over time even moderately high blood sugars rip and scar your arteries and veins. This is incredibly bad for things like your legs, which are the farthest from your heart and have a hard time getting blood back and forth to begin with. A few years of sticky scratchy sugar blood, and the nerves die from poor circulation, wounds stop healing because no blood is getting to them, and eventually your legs just rot off. The syrupy-sweet blood is just fudge sauce on the leg-flesh sundae that bacteria love to eat. This is why diabetics lose their legs. (The nerve damage is why diabetics go blind.)

Your kidneys, likewise, are almost entirely made of blood vessels. Too much sugar gouging out your kidneys = scarred up kidney circuits that are too damaged to let the water through. Bonus: when your blood sugar is insanely high, your kidneys can try to compensate by squeezing sugar directly out through your blood filters, which lets you piss away the dangerously gooey stuff… but rips holes in your filters, essentially. This is why diabetics have kidney failure and end up on dialysis.

On top of all that, your heart and brain blood vessels get shredded to boot, which is why diabetics have so many strokes and heart attacks. Diabetes is bad poo poo.

But there’s something even more dangerous than just having your blood turn into razor soup. Thick, dense blood is like a sponge, sucking water out of your tissues (read: organs and muscles). When your body enters a diabetic crisis, you become so thirsty you can’t loving stand it. Undiagnosed diabetics are often spotted because they pack a couple gallon jugs of water to bed with them when they sleep at night. And as soon as their blood thins out a little, their kidneys dump all that new water in an attempt to flush out the sugar, further ripping themselves to shreds… which is why undiagnosed diabetics are also often spotted because they pee themselves in public or spend 2/3 of their day pissing away the gallons of water they’re chugging.

Soda-fountain guy was thirsty as gently caress, and all his body’s instincts were telling him to slam a bunch of liquid. But why the gently caress choose soda syrup? What the hell?

To answer that one, let’s get back to what insulin does. It doesn’t magically make sugar go away; your cells have their mouths locked shut to keep them from eating every drat thing that goes by, and insulin is the key that unlocks them. If your body doesn’t make insulin (because it destroyed all its own insulin cells), fuckin blows to be you, because your cells will starve surrounded by delicious food. If your body is fat as hell and all that fat is secreting endocrine poo poo to inform your body that you have enough loving food to last you a month, your cells become insulin-resistant and it takes a lot more insulin to open those locks. (This part is the least-understood part of the whole fat ---> diabetes cascade, but while we don’t know exactly how it happens, we do know that excess fat leads almost inevitably to insulin resistance, and the ‘almost’ is generous.)

So now your cells can’t eat. Your blood is getting thicker because the onslaught of sugar isn’t slowing, but your cells are starving to death, being ripped apart by sludgy sugar sauce, and having all the water sucked out of them by your spongey thick blood. Insulin also allows your cells to eat the potassium they need to keep their internal pumps running, so now your potassium is backing up, causing your blood to become acidic, and making all your cell’s pumps run backward. In desperation, your cells start burning protein, which is a really poor energy source because it’s actually the cell’s furniture and tools. At this point, poo poo inside your cells is so bad that instead of putting food on the table, they’re chewing on the table legs in case the varnish is edible.

This is why that poor motherfucker was drinking sugar syrup. He was literally starving to death.

Many diabetics think they have low blood sugar right up until they realize their blood sugar is actually high—their cells just can’t eat any of it.

Broken-down proteins and fats produce ketones. Starving cells produce lactic acid. Between those two and all the extra potassium, your blood turns to acid in your veins. Over time, your kidneys might have been able to slowly compensate for that by secreting bicarbonate, but right now they’re busy squeezing sugar and potassium out through their battered assholes. The only other way your body can try to fix the whole ‘acid blood’ problem is by blowing off as much carbon dioxide as possible, since carbon dioxide is acidic when dissolved in blood. Soon you’re sobbing for air like you’ve been running a marathon (another situation in which stressed-out and starving cells dump tons of lactic acid), your body is so dehydrated you’re losing your mind and your organs are failing, your cells are so hungry they’re literally eating themselves, and so much potassium is backed up in your blood that your heart’s muscle-pumps get overwhelmed by the back-pressure and your heart just… stops.

Diabetic ketoacidosis, DKA, is a horrible way to die.
Mind your glucose levels, kids.