Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

There's a new patreon update, where they announce that they're recording a new commentary track. (Hooray!)

They didn't specifically mention the movie, but in the photo the box for the 2000 Dungeon and Dragons movie was peeking out (which may be the actual movie they're doing, or could just be them loving with us.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is there any modern equivalent of the Shaw brothers movies? I've tried watching some modern Chinese stuff on Netflix but it's usually just lots of CGI and people on strings and very little gymnastic talent or real choreography.

The pretty guys in tons of makeup is a plus but I really want the semi serious settings with ridiculously good, almost dance like, martial arts and hopefully insane plot twists.

Im aware of famous stuff like the raid, flying tiger crouching dragon and John wick.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Taintrunner posted:

The 90 Day Fiancé people are pissed at what a sham this is, in case anyone was wondering.

Also I watched the 4K remaster of The Two Towers and holy gently caress this movie rules also the incredible picture quality along with this 20 year old CGI makes the film look like a Roger Rabbit sequel

I saw Peter Jackson was loving around with the color grading, how did that turn out?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

I saw Peter Jackson was loving around with the color grading, how did that turn out?

Much better than the Blu-Rays.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

General Dog posted:

it looks great

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wish that there were some of the theatrical takes put into the extended cuts. Gandalf gets done a bit dirty in the extended editions by removing some of his sweeter lines and using alternate takes where he's much more of a dick

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do wish that there were some of the theatrical takes put into the extended cuts. Gandalf gets done a bit dirty in the extended editions by removing some of his sweeter lines and using alternate takes where he's much more of a dick

I didn’t know or notice that they replaced takes in the EE, what the hell?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Vim Fuego posted:

batman has never gotten a boner

pretty sure he gets those when he beats the poo poo out of a mentally disturbed criminal

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Alfred gets to take care of it

E.*sad Michael Caine face*

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This tweet thread sums up a lot of the ridiculousness of this thread really well.

https://twitter.com/zunguzungu/status/1346484650156335104?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That thread is more ridiculous than anything posted in here (apart from maybe lucha's Josh love).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endless Trash posted:

I didn’t know or notice that they replaced takes in the EE, what the hell?

During Concerning Hobbits, some of Gandalf's lines are given to Bilbo for his overall narration. In the Theatrical Cut when Frodo asks Gandalf to tell him everything about the big world Gandalf indulges him a bit. "Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of hobbits, for which I am very thankful." It's a nice little line that emphasizes how Gandalf cares a lot for the privacy the Hobbits enjoy. It's not in the EE.

Gandalf is also much more of a dick to Pippin in the EE, threatening to smash his head against the Doors of Durin to get some peace when his passwords didn't work. In Return of the King when Gandalf is talking to Pippin about being in the service of the steward he's basically shouting at Pippin in the EE, while the take they used in the theatrical cut Gandalf is more amused at Pippin's vow than angry.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s good that Gandalf bullies the poo poo out of hobbits, the twee little pricks

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

During Concerning Hobbits, some of Gandalf's lines are given to Bilbo for his overall narration. In the Theatrical Cut when Frodo asks Gandalf to tell him everything about the big world Gandalf indulges him a bit. "Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of hobbits, for which I am very thankful." It's a nice little line that emphasizes how Gandalf cares a lot for the privacy the Hobbits enjoy. It's not in the EE.

Gandalf is also much more of a dick to Pippin in the EE, threatening to smash his head against the Doors of Durin to get some peace when his passwords didn't work. In Return of the King when Gandalf is talking to Pippin about being in the service of the steward he's basically shouting at Pippin in the EE, while the take they used in the theatrical cut Gandalf is more amused at Pippin's vow than angry.

I totally forgot Gandalf does some of the hobbits monologue, and yeah now I miss it.

The only one of those I don’t have a problem with is the last one about Pippin joining Denethor’s suicide squad. Makes more sense for Gandalf to be angry, it carries over from the scene where they meet with Denethor and Gandalf is pissed that the city is essentially undefended.

Isn’t Gandalf also coughing a lot more in the EE and Pippin brings him some water? That was nice.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
https://i.imgur.com/nT1s8jA.mp4

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Flat butt gandalf

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 5, 2021

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

hemale in pain posted:

Is there any modern equivalent of the Shaw brothers movies? I've tried watching some modern Chinese stuff on Netflix but it's usually just lots of CGI and people on strings and very little gymnastic talent or real choreography.

The pretty guys in tons of makeup is a plus but I really want the semi serious settings with ridiculously good, almost dance like, martial arts and hopefully insane plot twists.

Im aware of famous stuff like the raid, flying tiger crouching dragon and John wick.

You may want to ask this in the Reccomend Me A Movie thread too.

The only thing that comes to my mind is something like 2006(?)'s Fearless with Jet Li. Fine action and production values, if a bit predictable plot-wise. Find the extended version or whatever if you can with each of the full fight scenes. Also, several posters have talked up Atomic Blond's fights while disparaging the rest of the film, somewhat. I haven't seen it, but it might be worth investigating.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

Flat rear end gandalf

I was gonna make an acronym out of that for a Wet rear end Pussy joke but uh never mind

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Space Kablooey posted:

Flat rear end gandalf

lmao. the forbidden acronym

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Roumba posted:

You may want to ask this in the Reccomend Me A Movie thread too.

The only thing that comes to my mind is something like 2006(?)'s Fearless with Jet Li. Fine action and production values, if a bit predictable plot-wise. Find the extended version or whatever if you can with each of the full fight scenes. Also, several posters have talked up Atomic Blond's fights while disparaging the rest of the film, somewhat. I haven't seen it, but it might be worth investigating.

I've not seen fearless! Ill give it a watch

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

I was gonna make an acronym out of that for a Wet rear end Pussy joke but uh never mind

I just changed my post so you are clear to go ahead now

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Space Kablooey posted:

I just changed my post so you are clear to go ahead now

who do this guy think he is george lucas?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Giga Gaia posted:

lmao. the forbidden acronym

gandalf rear end? yes!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

LanceHunter posted:

There's a new patreon update, where they announce that they're recording a new commentary track. (Hooray!)

They didn't specifically mention the movie, but in the photo the box for the 2000 Dungeon and Dragons moviewas peeking out (which may be the actual movie they're doing, or could just be them loving with us.)

I need the bolded part to be true so hard.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Eastbound Spider posted:

who do this guy think he is george lucas?

I really hate that he added a sexy dancing alien frog to his post

Galewolf posted:

I need the bolded part to be true so hard.
Given the recent talk of a new movie I think it’s probably pretty likely they wanna go back and watch the old one

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

This tweet thread sums up a lot of the ridiculousness of this thread really well.

I think people take a lot of disposable, bullshit media seriously because it's presented in a way that's meant to be taken seriously. Maybe that helps sell the product? Like if you're purporting to have a show or film that examines the human condition or the drama of family conflict or any mature theme, then the standard of criticism is going to be pretty high.

Star trek has always had dumb stuff in there, but it was a show that tried to have serious poo poo going on. So when Discovery is trying to do that, and constantly acts like it's doing that, but it's just all bad or hosed up, I can't enjoy it as a sci-fi shoot'em up romp. But take the Orville where they come right out and say that it's not trying that hard, and I judge it at a lower bar. Same thing goes with lower budget shows like Killjoys that practically tell the audience "yeah this poo poo is dumb, now watch me punch this guy"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wA0urbYSMY

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I love these articles I keep seeing that are like, "is Michael Keaton the new Batman??" no, he's ancient

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I love these articles I keep seeing that are like, "is Michael Keaton the new Batman??" no, he's ancient

No one's ever really gone.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

maybe some people are holding out for a batman beyond keaton batman

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what if DC makes a movie with Birdman and Batman and they're both played by Keaton

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Modern marketing has more than ever tied our consumption to our identity. What previously may have been marketed as a tasteless little indulgence is now marketed as something which will form a part of your identity, both personally and on a tribal level. With politics and identity also being so heavily tied together, the marketing machines latch onto that as well. Obviously it was not the first to do so, but I think the disney star wars movies really perfected this machine. Liking disney star wars meant you were on the right side of history, you were a bold progressive that did NOT hate strong women, you might even tolerate black or asian characters so long as they aren't too front and centre. And one can not be neutral in this conflict, if you do not like disney star wars products you are a woman hating chud and might as well just put on your MAGA hat and crawl back into your basement of entitlement.

Now every piece of trash media is marketed this way. Actual quality media that does explore social issues doesn't need to be marketed this way because it speaks for its self, but trash media ends up getting marketed as deep and controversial because it seems to work. Got a low quality trash movie you need to hype up? Start generating a buzz on twitter by dropping hints that the casting is going to enrage racists, subtly mention its going to be the first super hero movie to have non-binary representation (but don't mention its a 5 second scene with a character that gets a single line and will be cut for the chinese release), do poo poo like that and suddenly people are talking about the movie and you get all this free publicity. Next thing you know your garbage nerd media is trending on twitter a couple days before release.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Baronjutter posted:

Modern marketing has more than ever tied our consumption to our identity. What previously may have been marketed as a tasteless little indulgence is now marketed as something which will form a part of your identity, both personally and on a tribal level. With politics and identity also being so heavily tied together, the marketing machines latch onto that as well. Obviously it was not the first to do so, but I think the disney star wars movies really perfected this machine. Liking disney star wars meant you were on the right side of history, you were a bold progressive that did NOT hate strong women, you might even tolerate black or asian characters so long as they aren't too front and centre. And one can not be neutral in this conflict, if you do not like disney star wars products you are a woman hating chud and might as well just put on your MAGA hat and crawl back into your basement of entitlement.

Now every piece of trash media is marketed this way. Actual quality media that does explore social issues doesn't need to be marketed this way because it speaks for its self, but trash media ends up getting marketed as deep and controversial because it seems to work. Got a low quality trash movie you need to hype up? Start generating a buzz on twitter by dropping hints that the casting is going to enrage racists, subtly mention its going to be the first super hero movie to have non-binary representation (but don't mention its a 5 second scene with a character that gets a single line and will be cut for the chinese release), do poo poo like that and suddenly people are talking about the movie and you get all this free publicity. Next thing you know your garbage nerd media is trending on twitter a couple days before release.

so what?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

No one’s going to pay for Discovery+

Mike will. There's a new Ghost Adventure show on there.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Keaton wasn't even a particularly good Batman. He was in good Batman movies, but he was mostly just satisfactory in them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lister posted:

I think people take a lot of disposable, bullshit media seriously because it's presented in a way that's meant to be taken seriously. Maybe that helps sell the product? Like if you're purporting to have a show or film that examines the human condition or the drama of family conflict or any mature theme, then the standard of criticism is going to be pretty high.

Star trek has always had dumb stuff in there, but it was a show that tried to have serious poo poo going on. So when Discovery is trying to do that, and constantly acts like it's doing that, but it's just all bad or hosed up, I can't enjoy it as a sci-fi shoot'em up romp. But take the Orville where they come right out and say that it's not trying that hard, and I judge it at a lower bar. Same thing goes with lower budget shows like Killjoys that practically tell the audience "yeah this poo poo is dumb, now watch me punch this guy"

Yeah, if WW84 had been the same tone as the beginning of it (not the lesbian island olympics part), with the goofy 80s mall robbery and Kristen Wiig being all jokey jokey and Pedro Pascal hamming it up and a literal wishing stone, it would have gotten along fine. But like halfway through it swerves real serious.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

They didn't specifically mention the movie, but in the photo the box for the 2000 Dungeon and Dragons movie was peeking out (which may be the actual movie they're doing, or could just be them loving with us.)

Finally some good news.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Are you calling us all morons or just incredibly reductive like this twitter poster is

I refuse to believe you know anything about American Dirt, and WW84 is a poorly written and constructed movie, so idk what you're getting at

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

mallratcal posted:

Mike will. There's a new Ghost Adventure show on there.

Mike is just gonna think it’s a Star Trek Discovery aftershow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
For somebody who likes to let everyone know how intelligent they are, they sure don't know what a common term like "guilty pleasure" means.