Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Yeah I think Bleach they were stuck in Mexico for like five years

For a more recent comparison, the Shinjuku incident in Jujutsu Kaisen has been going on longer than the current arc in MHA, both in real time and in chapters.

And, of course, there's Chainsaw Man. When this arc started, it was in the middle of a fight with the Typhoon Devil, and now, over a year later...

Right, it finished three major arcs and concluded its run in Shonen Jump.

(Using Chainsaw Man for a length comparison is cheating.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This arc was slow and junk, but I still feel like the Overhaul/Yakuza/whatchamacallit arc was the one where its pacing kinda hosed it sideways the worst, like legit when I watched the anime version of the arc, it felt like an improvement over when the manga chapters were coming out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've enjoyed this arc a lot actually.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

parts of this arc are really good and I don't think any of it is actually bad (maybe the momo pyrrhic victory but I don't expect her to get a win without an asterisk anymore) but it does feel like less than the sum of its parts

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There was definitely some parts of hte arc i thought were long in the tooth but now that it's over and taking it all in I think it was overall not too long or bad.

Even at its worst it didnt feel as meandering as Overhaul or as "PLEASE just get on with it" as the class vs class exercises and it usually did something right after to regain the momentum. Like I feel usually i'd go "ok lets wra--wait this is cool again" when it did happen

rannum fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 5, 2021

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the pacing of this has been fine, I don’t really keep up with many different series so I was just kinda astonished at how long it took in real time

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I enjoyed this arc a lot, but I'm also really excited to see that the fallout from this whole thing will be, especially for the kids.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was long and at times slow, but that ending absolutely slapped in a very, very ruthless kind of way. It was brutal in ways you sometimes don't expect in WSJ.

Like that hero that sorta talks to himself while Ochako is nearby (he was most definitely not talking to her). Or Kirishima, Ashido, Momo and sugar guy just loving broken in front of Midnight's corpse and how, while she's one of the teachers we've grown to know and love, just watching her be listed like part of the casualties without any mention... it leaves you overwhelmed.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I feel like most anything I read week-to-week is slow and tend to appreciate it much more when I wait a few months and read like a dozen chapters at once.

This arc was fantastic though, stuff like Shigaraki's awakening will stick with me for a while I think. I want to see Deku's float reveal and yoyo Black Whip smashes animated, too, among other things.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Basically the second Shigaraki wakes up and things go bad is when it gets good IMO. The whole part where he's just loving wrecking everyone week-to-week, even with most of his quirks sealed is great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Basically the second Shigaraki wakes up and things go bad is when it gets good IMO. The whole part where he's just loving wrecking everyone week-to-week, even with most of his quirks sealed is great.

I mean in terms of plot hell yes that was where it picked up but there were absolutely some big highlights beforehand

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm betting that there's no class A and B after this, since the school already personally went to parents to plead their case. At best? It will be a united class of the remaining students.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pacing-wise, personally I don't mind the arc's length; to me what feels off is that the arc came so soon. Two arcs prior to this the PLF formed, then we had the stuff at Endeavor's agency and whatnot, and then we had this arc, a massive raid to that almost completely took the PLF down. It's weird that they didn't even get to actually do anything before this happened. No grand schemes or villainous plots got undertaken, Dabi just sent two insane people to mess with Endeavor (as part of his personal plans rather than a PLF thing at that) and then boom, whole thing's gone.

Gigantomachia wound up somewhat underwhelming too really, especially after all the buildup he got for the past few arcs. Obviously in-universe he was a big deal, but story-wise he was just a second source of destruction (on top of Super Shigaraki annihilating a big chunk of the city and all), an obstacle for some of the kids to try to stop, and a vehicle for getting the League from point A to point B for the most part, and then he got put back to sleep. You could have replaced him with a really, really big monster truck with a GPS set to Shigaraki's location and it'd still have accomplished almost all the same stuff. (He didn't actually do much in MVA either, now that I think about it; he showed up after the League had already handled everything except Geten, who got slapped for getting too close to the big guy. It feels like he's spent more time asleep/inactive than awake, really.)

This is why so many people were apprehensive when the story set things up as Yaoyorozu vs Gigantomachia; it seemed like either Gigantomachia was going to get brought down by students and look like a chump after all the buildup as a living weapon of mass destruction, or Momo was going to get yet another loss on her record. Instead, we kind of got halfway there to both it looks like; Gigantomachia wasn't completely chumped, but between the sedative and Best Jeanist immobilizing him for almost the entire time after he got to Shigaraki he wound up not really doing a lot beyond smashing a lot of buildings, and if people here are right in how things will shake out then Momo's win is instead going to be another victory-but-not-really, or at least feel like that to her, which is unfortunate because of all the heroes she's probably the one who needs an unqualified win the most. Though I guess no one is going to be happy after this arc (except Dabi of course), so at least she won't be alone in feeling bad about how things went.

But yeah, on the initial topic, it really feels like we could have had another arc or two, at least, before this one, instead of jumping to the endgame so soon. This manga's always been relatively fast, but it's still odd that we're going right to the endgame already. It feels a bit premature even given MHA's quick pace. At least it's better than the opposite problem of meandering and going on forever, I suppose.

Rest of the arc I mostly liked, particularly in retrospect after clearing up a few misconceptions. Also I'm glad that I'm being proven correct, months (maybe even over a year or two?) after being told that it was absurd, Deku's definitely going to try to save Shigaraki; I got a lot of pushback on that at the time.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 5, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I Am Fowl posted:

I'm betting that there's no class A and B after this, since the school already personally went to parents to plead their case. At best? It will be a united class of the remaining students.

That's what I think too. We're gonna have a lot of students drop out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I Am Fowl posted:

It would almost feel weird to me if they even brought the school setting back, given that AfO is directly saying "I won't let them rest, time for round two" and a huge swathe of pro heroes are dead or injured to the point of complete incapacitation. I'd wager that any of the kids who don't ultimately decide "gently caress this poo poo I'm out" will be basically fully deputized heroes for the foreseeable future because of the sheer scale of the emergency.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

It would almost feel weird to me if they even brought the school setting back, given that AfO is directly saying "I won't let them rest, time for round two" and a huge swathe of pro heroes are dead or injured to the point of complete incapacitation. I'd wager that any of the kids who don't ultimately decide "gently caress this poo poo I'm out" will be basically fully deputized heroes for the foreseeable future because of the sheer scale of the emergency.

I don't even know if we'll get that, so much as poo poo just going down and the kids who still want to be heroes jumping in to be heroes, with the adults not really being able to stop them due to how hosed things are. Like, officially, intentionally pulling the kids into something like this seems like way too much and would in and of itself would get a lot of people super pissed. There's a reason they were all supposed to just stay on the back lines and support in this plan, and did as much until Shigaraki woke up and in turn woke up Gigantomachia, neither of which were expected.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

I don't even know if we'll get that, so much as poo poo just going down and the kids who still want to be heroes jumping in to be heroes, with the adults not really being able to stop them due to how hosed things are. Like, officially, intentionally pulling the kids into something like this seems like way too much and would in and of itself would get a lot of people super pissed. There's a reason they were all supposed to just stay on the back lines and support in this plan, and did as much until Shigaraki woke up and in turn woke up Gigantomachia, neither of which were expected.

They already got provisional hero licenses for this specific reason, and that was before half of the active pro hero roster got hamburgered and the villains had escalated to leveling entire cities.

People might strongly object to the kids on the front lines, but they also will probably object to villains who seem content to destroy entire cities and leave thousands homeless at best or dead at worst.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, the "Vigilantes" take over the main title? :aaaaa:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Wark Say posted:

So, the "Vigilantes" take over the main title? :aaaaa:

The Crawler making a cameo would be rad as hell

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The best part of the arc is Shigaraki getting owned by AfO because he doesn't actually have a twisted affection for him, he's actually just a secondary body to be used for fulfillment of his plans

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eej posted:

The best part of the arc is Shigaraki getting owned by AfO because he doesn't actually have a twisted affection for him, he's actually just a secondary body to be used for fulfillment of his plans

Why not both?

When AfO explained how his organization used to work, he had a weird twisted paternal affection for people who would serve his every whim without him even asking. In fitting with his name, he seems to equate "person I like" with "person who does everything for my sake", so I don't think there's any contradiction in AfO's worldview between "AfO actually liked Shigaraki" and "AfO planned to use Shigaraki as a meat puppet for his own benefit".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kanos posted:

Things haven't even settled down enough to know what the new status quo will look like yet. If AFO-Shigaraki is about to break AFO-Prime out of jail, kill a bunch more people, and start putting together his League of Super-Villains, society isn't done getting knocked around.

Is AFO going to voluntarily decide to lay low and regroup for a bit to plan his next move? Will he be forced to, either to finish recovering Shigaraki's body or because of something to do with the other League members? He may need to consolidate control, activate other agents, or spring some of hero society's latest prisoners, but AFO really has the power to define the pace of events going forward.

There's a lot of questions I'm keen to get to, like how hero society can expect to hold any of their prisoners if they can't hold on to their #1 threat in their top facility. Whether there's time to stop and figure out the legal status of the students, reopen the school, or even wait for Deku to rejoin the action are all still unclear.

I'd love if there was an arc with a bunch of the big-name cast members holed up in recovery, like Deku and Bakugo, and it's up to the second stringers to keep putting out fires. Things got rough enough at the end of the last battle that even folks like Iida got a chance to put in a performance! Let's keep that going.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
Gravy Boat 2k
It has occurred to me that Deku fights like he's a gaddang mecha. This past skirmish, using powers to figuratively and actually keep himself together, all for that last little bit of involvement in the fight.

I guess what I'm saying is that by the end of the series Deku is gonna be the Exia Repair from Gundam 00.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Roland Jones posted:

Pacing-wise, personally I don't mind the arc's length; to me what feels off is that the arc came so soon. Two arcs prior to this the PLF formed, then we had the stuff at Endeavor's agency and whatnot, and then we had this arc, a massive raid to that almost completely took the PLF down. It's weird that they didn't even get to actually do anything before this happened. No grand schemes or villainous plots got undertaken, Dabi just sent two insane people to mess with Endeavor (as part of his personal plans rather than a PLF thing at that) and then boom, whole thing's gone.

:yeah:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It is pretty weird, yeah.

It's a plot angle that really didn't have much time to breathe or get explored before they cashed it in for a big battle to close it out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It still boggles my mind that the story was all "The PLF even has moles within the ranks of hero society!"

And then Slide n' Go slid and went. Offscreen. Along with the rest of them.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Was certainly nice seeing the heroes work like a well-oiled machine, even after Shigaraki woke up and Machia started rampaging

Not holding my breath for the anime to expand on the offscreen fights either

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Vinylshadow posted:

Was certainly nice seeing the heroes work like a well-oiled machine, even after Shigaraki woke up and Machia started rampaging

Not holding my breath for the anime to expand on the offscreen fights either

It may be tricky to keep this arc within a single season as it is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Feels like there's about a years worth of story that just got cut. Part of the reason it felt so weird that Best Jeanist came back just to be immediately over shadowed by Mirio getting his powers back of screen. Really felt like there was an arc in the works that just vanished there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah when mirio showed up i got the impression that there was a queue forming off-panel that read "CLIMACTIC MOMENT BEGINS HERE"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jassa posted:

It may be tricky to keep this arc within a single season as it is.

The chapters fly by really quickly, and given the anime's been squeezing two or three chapters into an episode without much issue, it should be able to comfortably fit within 26 episodes without much trouble

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Feels like there's about a years worth of story that just got cut. Part of the reason it felt so weird that Best Jeanist came back just to be immediately over shadowed by Mirio getting his powers back of screen. Really felt like there was an arc in the works that just vanished there.

Yeah the transition from the villains arc to this one felt like it was missing some lighter stuff in between along the lines of the school festival/Gentle story to give some room for the PLA to get some footing.

The only arc that I feel totally dragged was the class competition since it just seemed like a drawn out waste of time just to introduce a new ability for Deku.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

The chapters fly by really quickly, and given the anime's been squeezing two or three chapters into an episode without much issue, it should be able to comfortably fit within 26 episodes without much trouble

A huge chunk of these chapters are cool panels. The anime can spend, like, 2 to 4 seconds each on these cool panels and compress 4-5 chapters into one episode.

It's the chapters with a lot of talking that are harder to cleanly adapt, people talk a lot slower than you can read their lines.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
This arc felt less like the next natural progression of the story and more like an abrupt scene change to an adaptation of a MHA fighting game tournament

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean in terms of plot hell yes that was where it picked up but there were absolutely some big highlights beforehand

I cannot wait to see mirko menacing the doctor in the anime

Prowler
May 24, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

On this, I felt the most natural progression of this storyline was the following:

1. Introduction: Following the ending of the My Villain Academia arc, the alliance is built up in background without the heroes' knowledge. The reader is no longer fully privy to what's going on behind the scenes.
2. Rising Action: Class A and B get into villain-of-the week style encounters with members of the PLA attempting to build up their strength. Eventually reveals the much larger, looming threat. Heroes start their investigations, Hawks goes undercover sometime during the second school year, develop the plan.
3. Climax: Executing the plan/the big battle.
4. Falling Action: We are here.
5. Denouement: Hero society, X years later.

Of course, 2 is my own personal thought in how the action would build. Regardless, it feels like a build-up was missing, and we got filled in on some of the missing details while the climax progressed.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 5, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

rannum posted:

I cannot wait to see mirko menacing the doctor in the anime

"I don't know [if this Garaki is the real one], but a good kick should tell me!" :allears:

Her expressions are top-notch and you can tell Hori had an absolute blast writing those chapters

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I always just figured that Eri and Mirio had more of a story to tell. Just mindless fanboying I suppose but I kind of figured that All for One would come for her one day or some other villain that learns about her from Chisaki in Tartarus. Maybe even Chisaki himself and its just ya boy Mirio there doing the powerless hero thing again and all of a sudden its POWERRRRRR. Late enough in the story that both of them can't really affect the main conflict too badly with how utterly broken their powersets are but with a big enough payoff that it rewards the consistent attention we've had on them since the Overhaul arc.

I liked the last arc, but it really felt like the accelerator pedal got pushed to the floor on the story halfway through it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

serious gaylord posted:

I always just figured that Eri and Mirio had more of a story to tell. Just mindless fanboying I suppose but I kind of figured that All for One would come for her one day or some other villain that learns about her from Chisaki in Tartarus. Maybe even Chisaki himself and its just ya boy Mirio there doing the powerless hero thing again and all of a sudden its POWERRRRRR. Late enough in the story that both of them can't really affect the main conflict too badly with how utterly broken their powersets are but with a big enough payoff that it rewards the consistent attention we've had on them since the Overhaul arc.

I liked the last arc, but it really felt like the accelerator pedal got pushed to the floor on the story halfway through it.

Not sure it's off the table. Now that he's going to free his old body he may want to use it to rewind it back to before his All Might injury. Be kind of neat to see him at his prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Prowler posted:

On this, I felt the most natural progression of this storyline was the following:

1. Introduction: Following the ending of the My Villain Academia arc, the alliance is built up in background without the heroes' knowledge. The reader is no longer fully privy to what's going on behind the scenes.
2. Rising Action: Class A and B get into villain-of-the week style encounters with members of the PLA attempting to build up their strength. Eventually reveals the much larger, looming threat. Heroes start their investigations, Hawks goes undercover sometime during the second school year, develop the plan.
3. Climax: Executing the plan/the big battle.
4. Falling Action: We are here.
5. Denouement: Hero society, X years later.

Of course, 2 is my own personal thought in how the action would build. Regardless, it feels like a build-up was missing, and we got filled in on some of the missing details while the climax progressed.

To be honest if things had happened like that people would still be complaining about pacing. People in this thread are simultaneously complaining that the story is moving too fast and that its moving too slowly at the same time. If there was a few arcs slotted in before this one people would just be complaining that Horikoshi is 'wasting time' on low stakes fights and padding out the plot just like they did for the Overhaul and Joint Training arcs. If you cut some things to make the story go faster people would just be complaining even more that all the buildup for the PLA and villains was wasted. There is no way to win this, especially for people reading weekly.

If it was a choice between what we got and a bunch of nothing fights against PLA members for a year, Bleach style, I'd choose what we got personally.