Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is the original Karate Kid the only good one? I remember watching Part 2 as a kid but I was like 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
There are people who argue 2 is better than 1. I'm not sure I agree, but 2 is definitely worth a watch as a decent movie. As opposed to 3 where you watch it just for how strange it is.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the original Karate Kid the only good one? I remember watching Part 2 as a kid but I was like 5.

The original Karate Kid definitely has the best storyline, characters, and cinematography. The other ones are competent follow-ups, but they didn't quite recapture what made the first one good. I remember agreeing with either Siskel or Ebert when one of them said Karate Kids 2 and 3 should have been switched so 2 would be Revenge of Kreese, and then in 3 the stakes would have been at their highest when Daniel and Miyagi visit Okinawa.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Karate Kid 3 is a very outrageous and memorable movie.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Karate Kid 2 has like a 40% approval in Rotten Tomatoes. The third film is even worse, which makes me wonder if they were bad or just good films that reviewers misunderstood.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 6, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Karate Kid 3 is a badly written, poorly acted and overwrought mess of a movie. It's great!

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I just started watching the first season but so far this is just the best feel-good show possible. I'm staying up way too late and grinning ear-to-ear.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Karate Kid has like a 40% approval in Rotten Tomatoes. The third film is even worse, which makes me wonder if they were bad or just good films that reviewers misunderstood.

I had never seen a Karate Kid movie before, so I watched 1 and 2 before binging Cobra Kai.

Karate Kid one is legitimately a good film, I very much enjoyed it. It is very, very 1980s and has a bit of orientalism, but overall its fine. Pat Morita is absolutely fantastic in it, and he earned that Best Supporting Actor nom with his drunk scene.

Though Johnny is far more one-dimensional that I thought he would be, and doesn't really get all that much screen-time other than "rich rear end in a top hat bully".

Karate Kid 2 is.....fine. It basically rehashes the plot of 1 but this time in Okinawa. I thought it dragged on in the middle. There is really no point to Daniel's character in this film, he's just kind of there. But hey, we get more Pat Morita and the scenery is pretty. Also the final fight between Daniel and Chozen, while contrived, is fun and gets a major reference in Season 3.

Also Kumiko, Daniel's new love interest (dude gets a new one every movie) is played by Tamlyn Tomita, who went on to have a shockingly varied career. Appearing in just about everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamlyn_Tomita

I never got around to watching III but its free on Amazon. From what I can tell though, it is not referenced in the show as much as 1 and 2 are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When they bring back Terry Silver next season we'll get our absolute fill of Karate Kid 3 references.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solice Kirsk posted:

When they bring back Terry Silver next season we'll get our absolute fill of Karate Kid 3 references.

I won't be happy unless we see Mike Barnes in a fat suit, working an all night drive through.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I mean if it was realistic we'd have Cobra Kai Law and Order and it would be done after one episode.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Did anyone else find it weird that the school bullies were still bulking the kids after the kids became martial arts masters?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of my favorite parts of season 3 was the fan service fake out in Kreese's flashbacks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did anyone else find it weird that the school bullies were still bulking the kids after the kids became martial arts masters?

The most realistic thing in the show.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

punk rebel ecks posted:

That was after Kreese personally handpicked them to join Cobra Kai, right? I can see why they're bigheaded, especially after everyone's reaction to seeing them join up was dawning horror in their eyes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It makes a lot of sense that ultimately, Kreese was looking to lure some "natural athletes" away from mainstream sports and drop his misfit students like a rock.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

wooger posted:

The most realistic thing in the show.

How so?

The Bee posted:

That was after Kreese personally handpicked them to join Cobra Kai, right? I can see why they're bigheaded, especially after everyone's reaction to seeing them join up was dawning horror in their eyes.

They were in Cobra Kai for a single day at that point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As someone who studied karate for a decade, it's actually pretty bad at protecting you from bullies, especially if they know how to wrestle.

Edit: Following MMA just wasn't the same for me after the nerds were replaced by guys with wrestling and boxing backgrounds.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 5, 2021

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

It makes a lot of sense that ultimately, Kreese was looking to lure some "natural athletes" away from mainstream sports and drop his misfit students like a rock.

I'm rewatching Season 2 and there's a lot of small beats where Kreese is clearly disgusted to work with rejects, social misfits, and Cobra Kai's definition of what a poor person looks like.

Makes sense, given that the original Cobra Kai dojo was basically a rich Aryan nation fan club.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
By the by, there's something called "Karate Combat" which apparently runs on the same rules as the All Valley Under 18 Karate Tournament. Like, you're allowed to throw a guy and then punch him once when he's on the ground, but no wrestling. It was on TV while I was waiting for my burrito.

I remember that on Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris basically taught the same kind of karate as Cobra Kai. I've always been a little curious about that kind of karate because the sparring rules were very different by the time I was studying it. We had to wear foam-rubber gear and there was no hard contact or grappling of any kind.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mall karate doesn’t make you tougher than larger, older more athletic people, especially if they train a real martial art like wrestling.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

As someone who studied karate for a decade, it's actually pretty bad at protecting you from bullies, especially if they know how to wrestle.

Edit: Following MMA just wasn't the same for me after the nerds were replaced by guys with wrestling and boxing backgrounds.

Did you forget about the Machida Era?

I agree but to be fair the kids on the show don't really practice karate. They do...some weird martial art.

wooger posted:

Mall karate doesn’t make you tougher than larger, older more athletic people, especially if they train a real martial art like wrestling.

Dude, did you see them train by pushing the cement truck wheel and running away from dogs!?

EDIT - I do agree that training in a Muay Thai and dipping my toes in MMA this show is just hilarious with all of the inaccuracies.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 5, 2021

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Medullah posted:

One of my favorite parts of season 3 was the fan service fake out in Kreese's flashbacks.

What was this?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I never got around to watching III but its free on Amazon. From what I can tell though, it is not referenced in the show as much as 1 and 2 are.

It's literally the basis for key parts of the drama in season 1, 2 and 3! In season 1 when they reference Cobra Kai ouright being banned, that's that's a straight reference to Karate kid 3. Same with season 2's "I was a Cobra Kai"-spiel and season 3's Vietnam flashbacks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So if the show is following anime rules I’m totally expecting in s3 for Kreese’s girl who he’s thought for dead all these years is still alive, Johnny and Daniel find her and reunite her with Kreese, who does a face turn now that he refound the love of his life, which embitters Terry Silver who feels betrayed and becomes the big bad of season 4, teaming up with evil eye patch Hillary Swank to fight a United Kreese/Johnny/LaRusso dojo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ruddiger posted:

So if the show is following anime rules I’m totally expecting in s3 for Kreese’s girl who he’s thought for dead all these years is still alive, Johnny and Daniel find her and reunite her with Kreese, who does a face turn now that he refound the love of his life, which embitters Terry Silver who feels betrayed and becomes the big bad of season 4, teaming up with evil eye patch Hillary Swank to fight a United Kreese/Johnny/LaRusso dojo.

Wait until Mr Miyagi comes back to life in Demetri's body because someone wished on a magic rock/love letter/drum.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So is season 5 going to be Johnnys evil twin?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Annabel Pee posted:

What was this?

I’m assuming they’re talking about the fakeout with Ponytail and Twig, they played it up so you thought Ponytail was Terry Silver, but then that dude got executed and Kreese ends up saving Twig, who turned out to be the real Terry (Terry is the ponytail wearing sensei from Karate Kid III who teams up with Kreese to take down Miyagi doh).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

punk rebel ecks posted:

How so?

They were in Cobra Kai for a single day at that point.

They were, but their handpicked scouting by Kreese likely made them cocky and the students' stunned reaction only sealed the deal. At least enough of them lost their fights for the bullies to replace a significant portion of Cobra Kai, too. I think to a good degree that was the psychological shock of having the people who made their lives hell suddenly showing up in their safe space with their own teacher's endorsement, but it probably left the bullies feeling pretty invincible by that point. They also saved a good bit of their bullying for Demetri, who even if he didn't have a broken arm is one of the last to start to defending himself on most days. And that's before we even get to the school's rules against physical contact, which probably make things a lot safer for bullies that know how to straddle the line than the all out open karate warfare of Season 2.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember that on Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris basically taught the same kind of karate as Cobra Kai.

It's kinda funny that you mention this because I read somewhere that Chuck Norris was considered for the role of Kreese back when the first movie was in production.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did you forget about the Machida Era?
I will never forget Machida Era, but the flip side of the coin is Cung Le era, a truly gross phenomenon

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Karate Kid has like a 40% approval in Rotten Tomatoes. The third film is even worse, which makes me wonder if they were bad or just good films that reviewers misunderstood.

Huh? Karate Kid 1 is well reviewed, 2 is middling, 3 is bad but like infamous bad movie bad, 4 is made for TV bad, remake is kind of good. Which is basically what they are.

The first is a genuinely good coming of age movie, 2 is a typical 80s sequel thats not as good as 1, 3 is so stupid that it's funny - especially the villain that acts like Calgon from Space Mutiny, 4 is just stupid boring. Remake is pretty decent and is helped by an excellent acting job from Chan, but gets underrated because people like hating on Will Smith's family (I've responded to several people in the past that complained about it without even seeing it?)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Karate Kid has an 89% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and even the remake of the same name has a 66%

Also Rotten Tomatoes is a terrible judge of quality. It's a decent enough judge of popularity but since we are sitting in a thread for season 3 of a wildly popular relaunch of the franchise I feel like we don't need to be out there with dowsing rods trying to figure that poo poo out

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Karate Kid has an 89% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and even the remake of the same name has a 66%

Also Rotten Tomatoes is a terrible judge of quality. It's a decent enough judge of popularity but since we are sitting in a thread for season 3 of a wildly popular relaunch of the franchise I feel like we don't need to be out there with dowsing rods trying to figure that poo poo out

Oops I meant to put Karate Kid 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Karate kid two is pretty good. Haven't seen it in years but it's a lot better than three. I also liked the next karate kid when I was younger though so my taste is probably poo poo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Would not recommend rewatching the Next Karate Kid as an adult.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You say this to me now, as the download nears 97%, I'm already in too deep to quit now. .

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
I rewatched karate kid 3 today and it loving rules, I want Terry Silver the nuclear waste disposal tycoon to be the villain in everything. I don't understand what people dislike about the movie. The only thing I didn't like was the abruptness of the ending.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 6, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Shame no one remembers all the wild crap that went down in the cartoon. Man that theme song must've taken seconds to write.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcrf5i8_b2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFz2ElerHnM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Karate kid 3 is a great weird fever dream of a movie wherein Ralph macchio is too fat and on cocaine to even do any fight scenes