Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When discussion of a movie centers around the fact that the plot makes no sense, or that it's thematically incoherent, it's usually a good indicator that the movie has failed to divert its audience as designed. The movie's biggest sin isn't that there are too many characters, or that all the wish stuff is convoluted, or that Wonder Woman and her boyfriend kind of raped a guy, the movie's biggest sin is that its boring and leaves the audience to ponder the aforementioned issues. Infinity War/Endgame are also messy and too long, but they were also generally propulsive enough that people largely were able to suspend disbelief and come along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

General Dog posted:

When discussion of a movie centers around the fact that the plot makes no sense, or that it's thematically incoherent, it's usually a good indicator that the movie has failed to divert its audience as designed. The movie's biggest sin isn't that there are too many characters, or that all the wish stuff is convoluted, or that Wonder Woman and her boyfriend kind of raped a guy, the movie's biggest sin is that its boring and leaves the audience to ponder the aforementioned issues. Infinity War/Endgame are also messy and too long, but they were also generally propulsive enough that people largely were able to suspend disbelief and come along for the ride.

That is a good point. However, it feels like the whole genre of clickbait (pioneered by Cracked, I believe) about how you won't believe what this famous movie was really about! (if you remove it from its context and cherry-pick out a few moments) has infected a lot of the regular discourse and now basically every movie faces a barrage of hot takes on twitter about how if you squint real hard there's something really terrible in there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s effected the discourse, but I don’t think it’s had a big impact on the final consensus of “good/bad.” Like, I don’t know if I’ve ever walked away from a movie thinking “if this plot point had been better explained, or if this plot hole and been sewn up, then this bad movie would’ve been good.”

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, if WW84 had been the same tone as the beginning of it (not the lesbian island olympics part), with the goofy 80s mall robbery and Kristen Wiig being all jokey jokey and Pedro Pascal hamming it up and a literal wishing stone, it would have gotten along fine. But like halfway through it swerves real serious.

Exactly this.

That mall open, was perfect. The olympics thing was just long and awful, but I thought ok hey were in for some fun here now, maybe they learned from Shazam.

They didn’t.

These tweets have a point, which the author or the person who posted them don’t really seem to understand. The point is this, these kinds of films are not supposed to be taken seriously, that I agree on... but when the films themselves try to take themselves serious, so must we.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Your movie is literally about a stone that grants wishes shut the gently caress up about truth and true love and poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Chris Pine is the problem. I don't dislike him, but they cast Pedro Pascal and Kristen Wiig, who are actors who are charismatic enough to drag along the Gal Gadot dead weight, you have to let them actually do that. It goes to total poo poo when he shows up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chris Pine is amazing and my favourite thing about those awful films. He’s insanely underrated. Hell or High Water is the good stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Chris Pine is amazing and my favourite thing about those awful films. He’s insanely underrated. Hell or High Water is the good stuff.

Heck yeah Jeff Bridges was really great in that too, I loved the ending.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Into The Mild posted:

We also shouldn’t want a single streaming platform, but we should want to end exclusives. This probably won’t happen, but it’s a nice dream. Monopolies suck.

Exclusives aren't a monopoly. If anything it's kind of the opposite of a monopoly since it's something that is made as a result of competition between platforms.

Plus there's zero difference between modern streaming exclusives and twenty years ago when you could only watch The Sopranos on HBO or whatever, people have just gotten lazier and more entitled about their entertainment options over the years.

LanceHunter posted:

This tweet thread sums up a lot of the ridiculousness of this thread really well.

https://twitter.com/zunguzungu/status/1346484650156335104?s=20

That's a lot of words to say "just turn your brain off"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

He's very charming but his presence raises so many of the questions that the film shouldn't be concerned with. It sends Wonder Woman into a self-pitying spiral for the climax too.

I feel like there's a version of that script where Pedro Pascal straight-up ganks the wishing stone and Wonder Woman and her weirdo friend who's clearly in love with her have a globe-trotting adventure chasing him and Kristen Wiig just takes Chris Pine's place.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone I’ve talked to about the first WW film said that he was the best part so I can see why they brought him back. It’s like when they killed off Mahershala Ali in Daredevil or Colin Farrel in Fantastic Beasts except they managed to fix it, albeit weirdly.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Kristen Wiig was not good in the movie at all, it felt like she was doing a parody of one of her SNL characters. Idk what she had to work with but it needed to be cut not added to

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Guys, I watched all Guy Ritchie moopies and Legend in like two days, pls hapl.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Galewolf posted:

Guys, I watched all Guy Ritchie moopies and Legend in like two days, pls hapl.

https://www.mentalhealth.gov/get-help/immediate-help

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Snatch
Lock Stock
Rock'n'Rolla
Sherlock moopies
The Nike World Cup Ad
The Gentleman
Arthur the Legend of the Sword
The Man from UNCLE
Revolver
Swept Away lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Galewolf posted:

Snatch
Lock Stock
Rock'n'Rolla
Sherlock moopies
The Nike World Cup Ad
The Gentleman
Arthur the Legend of the Sword
The Man from UNCLE
Revolver
Swept Away lmao

No Aladdin? Call yourself a completionist, pft

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

No Aladdin? Call yourself a completionist, pft

I wasn't strong enough, a shameful display :negative:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Didn’t he direct a Robin Hood movie too

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

General Dog posted:

Nah, that's the guy directed some Peoky Bloindahs eps and other random tv eps but yeah it looked like a Guy Ritchie moopie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

General Dog posted:

He directed a terrible King Arthur film but the Robin Hood film you’re thinking of was actually directed by Otto Bathurst, a fairly competent TV director.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What a crushing thing it would be to assume the mantle of “poor man’s 2010s Guy Ritchie”

Although I kind of like Man from UNCLE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man from UNCLE is fun but the ending is the most forgettable thing ever that I still don't know what happened outside of a Dune buggy chase.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 5, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Man from UNCLE is fun but the ending is the most forgettable thing ever that I still don't know what happened outside if a Dune buggy chase.

The only specific thing I remember at all is something on a speedboat

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never seen Gal Gadot actually act in anything. I've always just known her as "that gross former IDF soldier who loves to randomly post about how great the IDF is like the same day they get caught killin' a bunch of kids again" but holy poo poo how does she have a career she can't act at all!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen Gal Gadot actually act in anything. I've always just known her as "that gross former IDF soldier who loves to randomly post about how great the IDF is like the same day they get caught killin' a bunch of kids again" but holy poo poo how does she have a career she can't act at all!

I think she got famous for the Fast & Furious movies? Which as you can see don't require a lot of, like, acting-acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUz1qH_f0rQ

Edit: lol I just remembered she's gonna play Cleopatra

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

"Wasn't that an Italian movie in the 70's? And you want to be the lead? Why that sounds amazing dear, I'd be delighted to direct it!"

Famous upcoming British director.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 6, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have seen every F&F movie multiple times and I swear to god I don’t remember a single thing Gal Gadot did in any of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

She's gorgeous but there have gotta be equally pretty women that can at least passably act. Not sure how she got where she is.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Did she also steal these recipes or

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

SteveRogersIGetThatReference.jpeg

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

She's gorgeous but there have gotta be equally pretty women that can at least passably act. Not sure how she got where she is.

She's a fine actress in my opinion, but her support of IDF shooting rock-throwing Palestinian kids and her confusing need to pimp Huawei android phones (on her iPhone lol) is completely baffling (unless she's just a lovely person)

Like Natalie Portman is a good actress and she also denounces the lovely rear end right wing government of Israel so welp

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 6, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AHH F/UGH posted:

She's a fine actress in my opinion, but her support of IDF shooting rock-throwing Palestinian kids and her confusing need to pimp Huawei android phones (on her iPhone lol) is completely baffling (unless she's just a lovely person)

Like Natalie Portman is a good actress and she also denounces the lovely rear end right wing government of Israel so welp

The IDF stuff is of course worse but she's a plank of wood.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

This is Gal Gadot's biggest crime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQK32bwvRuI

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

a barrage of hot takes on twitter about how if you squint real hard there's something really terrible in there.

that's everything in the entire world, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You don't have to squint to see the terrible in Blunder Woman.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

C...can we...like, you know, once this Covid is over...not tell celebrities so they will never leave their homes ever again?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Cacator posted:

This is Gal Gadot's biggest crime

This is my literal reaction every time I see that video thumbnail

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AHH F/UGH posted:

A bunch of less successful cooking show hosts calling her a recipe thief for using flour and butter and eggs in a cookie recipe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh dear god I forgot about this travesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Galewolf posted:

C...can we...like, you know, once this Covid is over...not tell celebrities so they will never leave their homes ever again?

Why? You want another video?