Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I guess this thread is dead because no one can practice?
Meanwhile, I just learned that the traditional Japanese police arresting techniques have apparently also been 'sportified'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1RCDeAkzo

I have no idea what the scoring criterias are, but it's entertaining to watch, if nothing else for the novelty factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Where do you guys shop for martial media? We probably all know Century, but where do you go for video or book learning? I have a few:

My favorite is Plum Publications. They specialize in Chinese Martial Arts and have a fantastic selection. They’ve been good to me for many years.

My favorite place for Japanese and BJJ is Budo Videos.They have a TON of BJJ material, but I tend to pickup their Aikido and occasionally Karate material.

Martial Arts Mart is the online store of the now defunct Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine. Their media supply isn’t quite as rich, IMO, but I’ve grabbed some interesting videos there.

This last one I mention more out of nostalgia. Wing Lam Enterprises was the brainchild of the late Grandmaster Kwong Wing Lam who put to video his Bak Siu Lum, Hung Gar, Xing Yi, Taiji, and Bagua. Since his passing, the store, which is still active, isn’t quite what it used to be user interface wise. The content is still very good.

Apologies if this topic has already been done to death.

https://bjjfanatics.com/ and https://www.10thplanetjj.com/techniques/

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Hi Martial Arts Thread,
I have hardly ever posted in this thread or the previous one, but do try to catch up a couple of times a year.

I just had a fun morning. My teacher kindly and unexpectedly awarded me with 1st degree blackbelt rank, "shodan", this morning. Hooray!
I was wondering why he seemed to being running me through my paces a bit more than normal today. Hadn't had to wipe the sweat out of my eyes multiple times in a class in a while.

Doesn't really change anything, but its a nice milestone to hit after years of training.

Oh, and I train in the most deadly of martial arts Aikido!

Just wanted to share with other MA nerds cause I'm all giddy this afternoon.

I hope everyone's training is going well.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Internetjack posted:

Hi Martial Arts Thread,
I have hardly ever posted in this thread or the previous one, but do try to catch up a couple of times a year.

I just had a fun morning. My teacher kindly and unexpectedly awarded me with 1st degree blackbelt rank, "shodan", this morning. Hooray!
I was wondering why he seemed to being running me through my paces a bit more than normal today. Hadn't had to wipe the sweat out of my eyes multiple times in a class in a while.

Doesn't really change anything, but its a nice milestone to hit after years of training.

Goongrats!

post a mummy pic

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Goongrats!

post a mummy pic

Thank you. Not sure what a mummy pic is? All wrapped up in my dogi?

I do have this one. Still all crispy and fresh:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Internetjack posted:

Hi Martial Arts Thread,

Aikido is dope, congratulations on Shodan! What lineage do you train in? I’ve put some time into Iwama-ryu. Does this mean you finally get to wear the Hakama?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Internetjack posted:

Thank you. Not sure what a mummy pic is? All wrapped up in my dogi?

:mummyface:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Aikido is dope, congratulations on Shodan! What lineage do you train in? I’ve put some time into Iwama-ryu. Does this mean you finally get to wear the Hakama?

I hope I spell this right... Ken Kyu Kai, study of motion. I forget which student it descended from. Schools out of western Canada, though we have no official affiliation. Trained with a few other branches over the years too. And yeah, I guess I can order a hakama now. My instructor and friend does not wear one, because "they are a pain", lol, but I'll probably get one and train in it this winter just for practice, and drop it in the summer when it gets warm.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Internetjack posted:

I hope I spell this right... Ken Kyu Kai, study of motion. I forget which student it descended from. Schools out of western Canada, though we have no official affiliation. Trained with a few other branches over the years too. And yeah, I guess I can order a hakama now. My instructor and friend does not wear one, because "they are a pain", lol, but I'll probably get one and train in it this winter just for practice, and drop it in the summer when it gets warm.

Well, your instructor isn’t wrong, trying to teach footwork in a hakama is like trying to do ballet in a wedding dress. It sure is pretty, though!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Going to dance around in my PJs and skirt, should be a good time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Internetjack posted:

Hi Martial Arts Thread,

Congrats! :mummyface:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Thank you, still all giddy hours later.

someone might have to explain the mummyface emote to me though. Are you all having to wrap your heads in bandages after a test?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Internetjack posted:

Thank you, still all giddy hours later.

someone might have to explain the mummyface emote to me though. Are you all having to wrap your heads in bandages after a test?

In your belt and take a picture, like the smiley.

i.e.

starkebn posted:

I felt really fatigued and sloppy at class tonight, so of course I got called out by all the black belts and brown belts to roll.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also we're starved for mummyfaces here and in the grappling thread.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

CommonShore posted:

In your belt and take a picture, like the smiley.

try not to get too randy;

Old belt, old friend being left behind, one last go :)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Do any of you own a Wing Chun dummy? I've been getting into woodworking since I can't grapple, and someone has asked if I can build one. I'd really like to see the mechanism that holds the limbs in place.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Do any of you own a Wing Chun dummy? I've been getting into woodworking since I can't grapple, and someone has asked if I can build one. I'd really like to see the mechanism that holds the limbs in place.

You might find this book helpful.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sebastian Major at Our Fake History just started a series on the origins and mythical origins of martial arts

https://ourfakehistory.com/index.php/episode-124-what-are-the-origins-of-martial-arts-part-i/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks! I'll consider it if I get stumped - there are only a couple construction aspects that I'm still a bit unsure of how to construct, notably the base. None of the bases I'm seeing look like they're worth a crap.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Thanks! I'll consider it if I get stumped - there are only a couple construction aspects that I'm still a bit unsure of how to construct, notably the base. None of the bases I'm seeing look like they're worth a crap.

I bought that book back when it came out and if I remember correctly it was too advanced for me (a young teenager) but was easy enough for my engineer father who wasn’t a wood or pvc worker. We never did get the chance to build one, unfortunately, so I can’t attest to the stability of the end product.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can't read too much into the results, but certainly adds weight to the idea that rotational deceleration could be especially hard on the brain:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/01/egg-yolks-can-shed-light-on-traumatic-brain-injury-study-finds/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/DDotOmen/status/1364424001993338888
Security guard knocks down or out 3 ... loiterers? I dunno the backstory.
Knocks down the first guy, pretty much KOs the 2nd on first cross, doesn't a clean shot off on on the 3rd guy before tying up and having return punches land ineffectually outside of his arms and then KOs him with the slam.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

https://twitter.com/DDotOmen/status/1364424001993338888
Security guard knocks down or out 3 ... loiterers? I dunno the backstory.
Knocks down the first guy, pretty much KOs the 2nd on first cross, doesn't a clean shot off on on the 3rd guy before tying up and having return punches land ineffectually outside of his arms and then KOs him with the slam.

Erhh, yeah, way to glorify assault.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If that reads as my justifying or celebrating the use of force, it shouldn't. The two things I got from it were the effectiveness of striking first and slamming someone to the ground.

e: oh yeah, the commentary - I didn't try to find the original video

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Edit: No, I actually meant your post.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Edit: No, I actually meant your post.

I can accept that. The security guard made the first physical escalation, at least from what I could tell by the video.
In a line between a mutually agreed street fight and attacking a random stranger, this was past the decency mark, like analyzing the gun tactics of that bodyguard who shot the maga protester.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

If that reads as my justifying or celebrating the use of force, it shouldn't. The two things I got from it were the effectiveness of striking first and slamming someone to the ground.

e: oh yeah, the commentary - I didn't try to find the original video

It didn’t to me. It’s an interesting video, security guard would be hosed assault charges wide in the UK.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

is there any actual scientific proof that wrapping your hands offers protection when wearing gloves? because honestly, at least the stuff about it protecting your metacarpal bones or whatever by making your fist more like a solid object(?), seems like total bro science to me.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

you sound like a guy who hasn’t broken your fingers and wrists a bunch of times

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

you sound like a guy who hasn’t broken your fingers and wrists a bunch of times

I sound like that guy because I am. It has been years of wearing no wraps and I have never broken my dainty little fingers or my dainty little wrists. Not to say it can’t happen to me, but it’s not like people who wear wraps never break their hands or wrist right? Is there maybe a study showing that people training with wraps are less likely to break their bones than people who don’t wear wraps?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ringo Roadagain posted:

is there any actual scientific proof that wrapping your hands offers protection when wearing gloves? because honestly, at least the stuff about it protecting your metacarpal bones or whatever by making your fist more like a solid object(?), seems like total bro science to me.

lmao have you ever actually boxed

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I sound like that guy because I am. It has been years of wearing no wraps and I have never broken my dainty little fingers or my dainty little wrists. Not to say it can’t happen to me, but it’s not like people who wear wraps never break their hands or wrist right? Is there maybe a study showing that people training with wraps are less likely to break their bones than people who don’t wear wraps?

It's a YMMV thing imo, I've known guys who never wore wraps and the other 98% of people who did and the only thing all the guys who didn't wear wraps had in common was they were more emotionally invested in training than the majority of other people, hence they were fitter, showed up to class more, generally had better technique and thus were more likely to showcase a typical overtraining injury as a result. Some people get a boxers fracture or gently caress up their wrists and other people don't. See Floyd Mayweather for example, arguably one of the greatest - has glass hands.

I always wrap my hands, but I'm more invested in the soft tissue of my hands and wrists on account of how much computer touching I have to do.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eddie Wineland, an mma power puncher, hates wraps. Never wears them. If you look at his hands during fights he has a tiny bit of gauze taped on his hands to satisfy the commission and that's it.

It's whatever floats your boat. For my own part, I find the wraps do more to protect my hands and wrists from injury than the gloves do. I'd rather do heavy bag work with just wraps (or wraps and plain leather bag gloves) than just gloves.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

lmao have you ever actually boxed

no need to be an rear end. just asking a question. I mean, wraps adding some additional wrist support and a little bit more knuckle protection makes sense, but is it really significant when you are wearing gloves with all that padding? then all the stuff about binding the hand protecting all the little bones, that just sounds like pseudo science to me and I haven't been able to find any actually science that would make me think otherwise. I mean, no matter how bound those bones are, the reactive force (newton's third law and all that) is still being applied to all those little bones in your hand correct. even if you bind them, they are still pushing on each other when you punch. I mean I would think that by binding the hand you are actually taking away some of the ability for those bones and the cartilage around them to absorb impact. it all just seems really dogmatic

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Key advantage of wraps is when you put them on you feel like a loving savage.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ringo Roadagain posted:

no need to be an rear end. just asking a question. I mean, wraps adding some additional wrist support and a little bit more knuckle protection makes sense, but is it really significant when you are wearing gloves with all that padding? then all the stuff about binding the hand protecting all the little bones, that just sounds like pseudo science to me and I haven't been able to find any actually science that would make me think otherwise. I mean, no matter how bound those bones are, the reactive force (newton's third law and all that) is still being applied to all those little bones in your hand correct. even if you bind them, they are still pushing on each other when you punch. I mean I would think that by binding the hand you are actually taking away some of the ability for those bones and the cartilage around them to absorb impact. it all just seems really dogmatic

The wraps are more about stability than cushion. This is immediately obvious if you've even been properly wrapped. The bones aren't breaking because they're cracking on a hard forehead or whatever -- gloves take care of that just fine -- it's bending and shear forces that create the danger of injury, which wraps help with by making those forces not be isolated against single bones or joints. Wraps also help keep your fist tight and wrist straight, which are important for preventing injury.

You're not going to find, like, a control trial for hand wrap efficiency because doing a study that involves people risking broken bones isn't going to pass any ethics board. And also because who the hell would volunteer to train without wraps.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Xguard86 posted:

Key advantage of wraps is when you put them on you feel like a loving savage.

:hai:

For real I find that putting on wraps helps me mentally shift into "workout mode". It's the focusing ritual of applying them, the tiny impediment of making it more awkward to mess around my phone or laptop, and a clear constant visual/kinesthetic reminder that it's rear end-Beating Time.

Even if they didn't have real physical protective benefit (I think they do) they keep me safer by signposting that it's not time to gently caress Around and I need to focus on what I'm doing.

(I couldn't find any randomized double blind studies but I did find a physician's report that called for longer wraps to be the competition standard so at least fight docs think they help :shrug:)

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 13, 2021

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The wraps are more about stability than cushion. This is immediately obvious if you've even been properly wrapped. The bones aren't breaking because they're cracking on a hard forehead or whatever -- gloves take care of that just fine -- it's bending and shear forces that create the danger of injury, which wraps help with by making those forces not be isolated against single bones or joints. Wraps also help keep your fist tight and wrist straight, which are important for preventing injury.

You're not going to find, like, a control trial for hand wrap efficiency because doing a study that involves people risking broken bones isn't going to pass any ethics board. And also because who the hell would volunteer to train without wraps.

The idea that there isn't already more than enough people training without wraps to do a study is absurd. Do you think everyone wears a helmet while riding a bike, or a seat belt when driving in a car?

and like I said, I do understand the idea of wraps offering additional wrist support, and its possible that for me maybe, with my very dainty wrists, the support of just gloves is enough. but its this other stuff like this

quote:

which wraps help with by making those forces not be isolated against single bones or joints.

that Im talking about. what does this mean? why do you think there are forces that when unwrapped are isolated only to a single joint or bone, that when wrapped now spread around to multiple joints or bones? I dont understand the science behind this. The force should be spreading or not regardless of your hands being wrapped or not. because your bones are already wrapped in your skin and muscle and bound together by ligaments and tendons, and there is cartilage acting as a cushion between them, right?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Have you ever punched a heavy bag at a bad angle, accidentally landed on your pinky and dislocated it? Very difficult to do when wrapped. Isolated fingers vs fingers that you can't separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The wraps are more about stability than cushion. This is immediately obvious if you've even been properly wrapped.

Yeah, before you get to power where a solidly connecting punch breaks your knuckles, you'll reach power where a badly aimed punch will try to torque your wrist, and the wrist support will save you.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

The idea that there isn't already more than enough people training without wraps to do a study is absurd.

I honestly think it would be harder to find enough people of the same experience level / attributes to properly stratify the study.
Like past 1 year training of any sport that has full sparring competition, probably 99.9% of people wrap.