Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Appoda posted:

If you want more in Roadside's vein, Annihilation is basically a modern one of those, tho the narration is a bit drier than our time with Redrick & Friends.

And that in turn is based on the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. Two of the three books are absolutely outstanding, and I recommend the series very highly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Everybody napping on the Stalker 2 in-engine """"gameplay"""" teaser that dropped today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu5mCXFHI0E

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Man this is gonna force me to upgrade my 10 year old computer.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Killswitch posted:

Man this is gonna force me to upgrade my 10 year old computer.

hey on the bright side, it'll be a 13 year old computer by the time the game comes out

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I will happily upgrade for stalker 2.

Hopefully this post will not come back to haunt me.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Is there anyone who worked on the original three that still works at GSC?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

aniviron posted:

And that in turn is based on the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. Two of the three books are absolutely outstanding, and I recommend the series very highly.

??? Last I checked, Annihilation is the first book of the series

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Appoda posted:

??? Last I checked, Annihilation is the first book of the series

Ah, my apologies, I thought you meant the film based on the first book. Which is also good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

some nice looking """gameplay""", whatever it ends up actually looking like I hope at least the weather is good

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If they can keep the visual quality that high, I feel like there are enough modders to fix the rest of the gameplay.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I love Roadside Picnic, I love Tarkovsky's Stalker, and I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R., for different reasons for each. They all have the theme of the zone, but how they each approach it differs, and they're each great in their own way. It's kinda of amazing how strong of an idea the zone is.

And yeah Annihilation is a great modern successor to the idea.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Flaskraven posted:

Is there anyone who worked on the original three that still works at GSC?

Not that I've heard of. The lead writer for the OG trilogy passed away shortly before Christmas due to Covid complications, the lead composer is a young guy who was about 10 when the first games released (but seems very talented and experienced).
According to the Russian-language Stalker community GSC has recently been recruiting very heavily in roles such as C++ devs, narrative designers, UI and UX designers, animators, VFX artists, project management, level designers, artists, business devs, casting managers, community managers, etc, etc, etc. - you can still find job postings on their site.

If you were cynical you might conclude that they literally had nothing but a trailer and some financial backing from Microsoft for the console exclusivity, and they're only now staffing up with a brand new team to actually start production (or pre-production). Even the teaser animations the official GSC twitter has been posting have all been using recycled or retextured CoP assets and nothing new. Honestly I've not seen anything that bodes well at all at this point.

Hopefully we're not heading for a re-tread of the 2010-2012 Stalker 2 development saga.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I don't think it's cynical given the history of STALKER successor attempts. It's more so practical to have more realistic expectations about things, and not hype something just because of an IP name.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hi. Just getting around to playing SoC for the first time since it was new. Is ZRC and the shaders linked in the OP still the best way to play (mostly) vanilla?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jehde posted:

Yeah I don't think it's cynical given the history of STALKER successor attempts. It's more so practical to have more realistic expectations about things, and not hype something just because of an IP name.

The bar to beat is "Fallout 76 but with Ak74s and exoskeleton power armors. "

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oldstench posted:

Hi. Just getting around to playing SoC for the first time since it was new. Is ZRC and the shaders linked in the OP still the best way to play (mostly) vanilla?

You can ask a bunch of stalker fans and get a bunch of different answers.

Playing through mostly vanilla with the shaders is probably smart to do for your first run.

I'm a big fan of the Complete mod which doesn't change too much, just has a lot of graphical and sound upgrades, but some people aren't a fan.

The Call of Chernobyl mod is pretty popular but does make some gameplay changes so maybe not for your first run?

Here's a solid video about mods it if you're interested in more info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzB1MY8tpHw

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks. I went with ZRP and the shaders. Seems to be what I was looking for.

e: hooly poo poo this game is hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oldstench posted:

Quicksave a LOT

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Quicksave a LOT

*unless you're being stealthy and haven't been noticed

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Quicksave a LOT

I am. Believe me. The problem is that I still only have a lovely handgun, a lovely silenced handgun, and a sawed-off with 4 rounds and I'm having to kill a bunch of bandits in the Garbage. Hope I find a better gun soon.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Oldstench posted:

I am. Believe me. The problem is that I still only have a lovely handgun, a lovely silenced handgun, and a sawed-off with 4 rounds and I'm having to kill a bunch of bandits in the Garbage. Hope I find a better gun soon.

flank and relocate lots during battle

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Repositioning is king in Stalker firefights. Take a few shots and bolt somewhere new. The AI tends to remember where they last saw you and will push that position, so getting the flank is a huge advantage.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Missing Name posted:

*unless you're being stealthy and haven't been noticed

this post might not be clear, so let me clarify:

if you are trying to be stealthy, and you quick save... when you quick load, the first thing your character is gonna do is noisily rack the slide, alerting everyone in earshot

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

:allears:

I love when someone finds the stalker games for the first time. Reading about their journey into -Radioactivity: surviving inside the hellfires and anomalies in the zone of Chernobyl- is as good as any travel diary.
Get out of here, Stalker.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Oldstench posted:

Ah - the Hobo Phase TM

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Helianthus Annuus posted:

this post might not be clear, so let me clarify:

if you are trying to be stealthy, and you quick save... when you quick load, the first thing your character is gonna do is noisily rack the slide, alerting everyone in earshot

As an addendum to the stealth chatter: bushes don't really hide you from the AI's vision, and make an absolutely poo poo ton of noise when you move through them. Contrary to every other game with stealth mechanics, avoid foliage like the plague.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Ah - the Hobo Phase TM
lol - yeah I've already gotten some better assault rifles and shitloads of ammo. I am curious about AP bullets. They don't seem to kill Army dudes significantly more efficiently than standard FMJ. Is it just that I'm missing more than I think?

aniviron posted:

As an addendum to the stealth chatter: bushes don't really hide you from the AI's vision, and make an absolutely poo poo ton of noise when you move through them. Contrary to every other game with stealth mechanics, avoid foliage like the plague.
Holy poo poo, that makes so much sense. Thank you.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:allears:

I love when someone finds the stalker games for the first time. Reading about their journey into -Radioactivity: surviving inside the hellfires and anomalies in the zone of Chernobyl- is as good as any travel diary.
Get out of here, Stalker.
On my way to Agroprom. Saved some Loners, shot some Army, got Cuisinarted by some anomalies as I was running away from some Very Bad Doggos. Game is effective at getting me tense.

Quick question - is there ever any fast travel or shortcut back to the first zone (without mods)? Having to walk back through 4+ zones to turn in a quest item for Sidorovich.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Quick question - is there ever any fast travel or shortcut back to the first zone (without mods)? Having to walk back through 4+ zones to turn in a quest item for Sidorovich.

No :allears:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
STALKER is way too sophisticated and intelligent to have a fast travel option.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Gets even more annoying if you run Call of Chernobyl, are taking the long way through Clear Sky maps to avoid bigger fights at the Garbage exit, and get mutant swarm events at *those* exits. I had a lot occurring at the Freedom base for some reason, it was a good source of loot as a shitload of dudes tended to get killed.

And, having finished looting to the max carry limit... DING DONG MONOLITH CALLING

Dealing with zombies after an eruption was a lot easier, IMO.

Dammit, now I want to replay both CoC and modded FO4.

Edit: there was kind of a fast travel, in whatever big mod I played that had drivable cars. Just hoon that thing into a whirlwind anomaly, and you could enjoy the view as you were launched across 75% of the local map. No control, you may end up upside down and on fire and in the middle of a bunch of bandits or Army or something, but you sure didn't have to walk the whole way! :v:

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 7, 2021

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Having a car to explore the many expansive areas in Lost Alpha, with a trunk for whatever goodies I find, felt like a renewal of the STALKER experience for me, it was really cool.

The original games are small enough to be walkable though.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Oldstench posted:

I know! Isn't it great?!

Seriously though, welcome to the club. Try the Call of Chernobyl mod with Call of Pripyat sometime. It's so good.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Oldstench posted:

Eventually you’ll get artefacts that allow near infinite sprint if you arent overloaded, and that helps travel a ton, especially when you are familiar with the anomaly locations

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Fellis posted:

Eventually you’ll get artefacts that allow near infinite sprint if you arent overloaded, and that helps travel a ton, especially when you are familiar with the anomaly locations

I'm currently running around with 2 Moonlights which helps a lot. I also found a SEVA suit and TRs 301. Survivability has increased a bunch.

Do stashes not spawn gear unless you find info about them on a random PDA?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I'm currently running around with 2 Moonlights which helps a lot. I also found a SEVA suit and TRs 301. Survivability has increased a bunch.

Do stashes not spawn gear unless you find info about them on a random PDA?

Yes, they only spawn by finding their pda in Shadow of Chernobyl. That's some good gear btw, have you seen a lab yet?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yes, they only spawn by finding their pda in Shadow of Chernobyl. That's some good gear btw, have you seen a lab yet?

Don't think so. I assume I'd know if I had. I did save an ecologist who told me to come visit him at his mobile lab. Haven't done that yet. Currently stuck deciding if I want to try and kill all the Duty guys who want me to help them take out a Freedom stronghold. Duty sucks.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Duty does suck, correct. And you will know when you get to a laboratory, also correct.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Not a fan of Yantar. Deffo not a fan of snorks.

e: was not expecting to go deaf IRL today, but that Controller in the sewers had different ideas.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 8, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

If I agree to help Freedom kill the Duty squad at the farmstead, will I be unable to use the Bar anymore?

Also whoa! I'm Strelok? Who could have seen that coming? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Oldstench posted:

If I agree to help Freedom kill the Duty squad at the farmstead, will I be unable to use the Bar anymore?

Kinda! You will have to shoot your way in every time, but I think you won't get shot at in the areas you are forced to put your weapon away, so if you make it into 100 Rads you are ok. You'll have to avoid the duty side of the area also.

But also, I don't remember the vanilla/lightly modded experience that well. Make a backup save!