Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

cool thanks, Moderna has a lot higher total lipid content (0.77mg Pfizer vs. 1.93mg Moderna) but I know nothing about those lipids other than a wild guess that maybe Moderna's longer shelf life is due to their choice of lipids

HelloSailorSign posted:

Aha, I knew apple cider vinegar could treat COVID, it's right there in the Moderna vaccine!

it's an acetate buffer

Pfizer uses a phosphate buffer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
Given the amount of time it took to whip up the mRNA vaccines in the first place I'm actually pretty optimistic they could put together a version coding the spike protein for any new variant if they had to.

The question is whether changing the spike code is enough for them to have to go back through trials. My guess is no since the flu vaccine changes every year and doesn't seem to need any new trials.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Question about how the flu kills all those tens of thousands of people a year normally: how? Since we have a vaccine? I know it's the elderly and vulnerable but surely they're the people who would go and get vaccinated? Are there just enough of them who don't that we have that death toll? Or is the flu vaccine just not that effective because of the constant mutations and new strains?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

freebooter posted:

Question about how the flu kills all those tens of thousands of people a year normally: how? Since we have a vaccine? I know it's the elderly and vulnerable but surely they're the people who would go and get vaccinated? Are there just enough of them who don't that we have that death toll? Or is the flu vaccine just not that effective because of the constant mutations and new strains?

Yes.

More expansively, all of those things.

- The vaccine isn't even close to 90% effective
- The vaccine has to be based on a prediction of strains, it's not universal and they can't predict the future with full accuracy
- It mutates a poo poo-ton
- Most of the dead are old/vulnerable
- Not enough people get vaccinated

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

freebooter posted:

No vaccine is 100% effective, no vaccine is administered to 100% of the population. The flu vaccine is actually pretty poor on both measures since there's no mandate that you ever have to get it and you have to get a new one every year.

Oh yeah and our hellcountry makes it cost money for the uninsured who frequently don't have it in many places, or makes free flu shots hard to access.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HelloSailorSign posted:

Switching back to in person for the remainder 3 months seems... ill-advised. Not simply from an outbreak standpoint.

If only all district's had this problem. Here in CT they've been hybrid the whole time, with utterly predictable results. :negative:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have friends who have gotten more social during this whole thing. Friends who were flaky and impossible to make concrete plans with during the before-times are now in photos sans-masks with other friends all the time. I can't imagine what would make someone's brain break in that direction. These are friends who for years we'd see maybe once every three months if we were lucky, now suddenly we're getting invites all the time. Anyone else have friends like that?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

And most importantly, our shithole country makes it really hard to just stay home when you (or your kids) have the flu so we end up with 30-60 million symptomatic cases every year. That plus the "just tough it out" attitude are absolute killers. At the beginning of the pandemic, I was sort of hopeful we might get people to at least wear masks for flu season afterwords, but no way in hell that's going to happen to the necessary degree.

LifeLynx posted:

I have friends who have gotten more social during this whole thing. Friends who were flaky and impossible to make concrete plans with during the before-times are now in photos sans-masks with other friends all the time. I can't imagine what would make someone's brain break in that direction. These are friends who for years we'd see maybe once every three months if we were lucky, now suddenly we're getting invites all the time. Anyone else have friends like that?

Sometimes I think SARS-CoV-2 must have a symbiotic Cordyceps.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

Anyone else have friends like that?

Not anymore.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Since people seemed to enjoy the COVID test site horror stories, here’s another:

Typically I work test side, we got a dude who was testing his two year old son he brought to the site without a mask on.

I told him when he got his test for his son to ask for a mask for his son- we have like literally a 30% infection rate in the area I work. I figured he was lethally dumb as loving poo poo, not actively malicious.

I heard him literally ask for a mask.

According to my coworkers who work further down the line, that piece of poo poo mother fucker did not, in fact , put it on his son, instead deciding to keep it as a fun souvenir.

I’ve very rarely been that angry at work before.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 6, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

In addition to all the other reasons the US is super susceptible to the flu, we literally do nothing in terms of behavior to mitigate its spread.

It’s why it was so maddening when people kept pointing to 30k flu deaths yearly while ignoring covid ripped through multiples of that with an early shutdown and at least some mask usage and social distancing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HelloSailorSign posted:

Aha, I knew apple cider vinegar could treat COVID, it's right there in the Moderna vaccine!

drat, but it gave Jordan Peterson night terrors.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Welp - I teach at a small private school and we got word that the state health department wants to know how many of us want the vaccination. They said they have to know by noon tomorrow, so I'm thinking we should be getting them fairly soon. And at no cost. We've been virtual since Thanksgiving, and the kids have been doing pretty well. Those that haven't are the same kids who didn't do much work last year in the before time. If my director and the head of school have their way, we'll probably stay virtual for at least months.

Mrs. Underbridge works in a public school system and hasn't heard a peep yet. Her school board (which includes a member who was in the "it's a hoax to make Trump look bad " idiot) has been doing blended, with some opting for all virtual and others coming in twice a week. Except, of course, the state standardized testing, which they made everyone come in after Thanksgiving. And which got my wife exposed to a kid who turned out to be positive. So she had to quarantine for two weeks and isolated herself in the guest room until she tested negative. The board is leaning towards let 'em back in - kids don't get it! She's signed up for a speaking spot at the board meeting next week, but then so are myriad Karens. Her main concern is for me, since I'm a goonomorph, :corsair: and have had a clotting event. She really stresses about losing me.

I can't get that shot soon enough.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
God, it feels like the Coronavirus is never going away, and that it's going to get worse and worse for the world. What if we're like this for another two years

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Willo567 posted:

God, it feels like the Coronavirus is never going away, and that it's going to get worse and worse for the world. What if we're like this for another two years

2 more years of this poo poo is optimistic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hamburlgar posted:

2 more years of this poo poo is optimistic.

Back in March I was optimistic that COVID-19 wouldn't become endemic. Now I'm pretty sure we've got a new yearly bug to worry about for quite some time to come.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm cautiously optimistic, but one of my fears is that we get the vaccine into everyone who wants it by, say... September, but it mutates enough that the vaccine isn't good enough and we don't figure it out in time. Just some rumors of people catching a serious COVID-like illness in (insert any country here, likely one that let it spread like wildfire in the first place) and then we're in lockdown while we wait for Big Pharma to save us again. I'm no expert, so I don't know how likely this is, or how likely an existing vaccine would stop us from getting deathly ill of COVID-21, -22, or -23.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

LifeLynx posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but one of my fears is that we get the vaccine into everyone who wants it by, say... September, but it mutates enough that the vaccine isn't good enough and we don't figure it out in time.

The current set of mRNA vaccines were developed insanely fast. Moderna reportedly did it in 48 hours once the virus was gene-sequenced. There would of course need to be new phased trials, but I wouldn't worry too much about not "figuring it out" quickly enough.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

At least now with a Democratic president + Congress, we'll have $2/month UBI and free healthcare, student-debt erasure, and rent moratoria for as long as we need to.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Willa Rogers posted:

At least now with a Democratic president + Congress, we'll have $2/month UBI and free healthcare, student-debt erasure, and rent moratoria for as long as we need to.

Two dollars a month is what they're gunning for? Well at least it won't drive the deficit up.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jaxyon posted:

freebooter posted:

More expansively, all of those things.

- The vaccine isn't even close to 90% effective
- The vaccine has to be based on a prediction of strains, it's not universal and they can't predict the future with full accuracy
- It mutates a poo poo-ton
- Most of the dead are old/vulnerable
It's worth noting that flu mutates like hell because it (somewhat uniquely) does the viral sorta equivalent of sexual reproduction. If a single human catches 2 strains of flu, (say, H1N1 and H5N2), now there's also H1N2 and H5N1 circulating from them as well.

It's also why the vaccines don't necessarily work, as they're targeted to specific strains. They're just guessing which ones will be popular that year.

A universal flu vaccine might be possible with newer techniques, by targeting something common to all the flu viruses.

These are lay oversimplifications, of course, but regardless Covid mutates way less than flu.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 6, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Jaxyon posted:

This is going to sound hopelessly naive but I didn't start getting flu shots until we had a kid and my wife said "check the science yourself if you want, you getting a shot makes our kid less likely to die" and it was a lightbulb moment in terms of thinking about spread, vs just "not getting sick".

I'd had access to flu shots at work but it was always presented as an opportunity to reduce one's own chance of sickness, and not as a socially good thing that would improve national mortality.

I understand how diseases work and I had all the information I needed to make this obvious connection, but I never did until it was made for me.

I'd had a mild aversion to flu shots because I feel like I was harmed by ADD drugs as a kid, dislike the pharma industry, and didn't think I got sick very much. The first two of those things are still true, but that's not a reason to make impaired decisions about healthcare.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

It just feels like we'll never get back to normal, and that we'll be on lockdown for years to come.

I'm sorry for sounding defeatist, but I've just become depressed with everything going on with it. and in most countries that have lock downs, none of it seems to be working as well as before

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 6, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Willo567 posted:

It just feels like we'll never get back to normal, and that we'll be on lockdown for years to come.

Is there actually a lockdown anywhere in the US right now? Like restaurants closed, schools closed, places of work closed (except for essential places specified by the government)?

As far as I know, the US hasn't gone on lockdown anywhere during the span of the pandemic. It's all been bullshit half measures.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gort posted:

Is there actually a lockdown anywhere in the US right now? Like restaurants closed, schools closed, places of work closed (except for essential places specified by the government)?

As far as I know, the US hasn't gone on lockdown anywhere during the span of the pandemic. It's all been bullshit half measures.

Paying people not to work was pretty effective at preventing the spread.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 6, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Gort posted:

I meant elsewhere in the world, like Europe

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Willo567 posted:

For a different perspective, consider that there are several other vaccines about to come onto the market.

Within the United States, this represents more than 60% of the vaccine preorder stock still yet to be approved. These other vaccines are easier to distribute.

30% of total doses distributed have been administered, a substantially higher proportion than last week. Most estimates were that "the general public" would be eligible for vaccines sometime in the summer - I don't believe those have changed, and it's entirely possible things might speed up too.

The US has vaccinated 1.5% of the population, another 6-7% or so have recovered from the confirmed virus, and maybe another 6-12% recovered from an unconfirmed case. All those numbers going up put a definite time limit on things.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Willo567 posted:

I'm sorry for sounding defeatist, but I've just become depressed with everything going on with it. and in most countries that have lock downs, none of it seems to be working as well as before

Honestly a year from now the whole world will be moved past this, for better or worse. I can’t speak of other countries but the US will likely “look” back together by end of summer. I don’t think the capacity limits and distancing practices are going to make it through the summer, poo poo Americans were barely able to stay away from vacation THIs summer.

It’s easy to slip into darkness in this thread but there is an end in sight, it’s just going to be slow and this year is going to be all about patience and lol we see how that is going. But it will happen.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What does it say about me that I'm worried that some dipshit SovCit is going to roll in when I'm at the clinic tomorrow for my first vaccination shot?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Australia and New Zealand are still going well. Victoria proved that even when things spiral out of control you can still do a hard lockdown to bring it down to zero, and New South Wales proved that even if you have a low burn of 5-10 cases a day for months on end, kept under control with test-trace-isolate measures, you can still eventually achieve elimination without a lockdown or a mask mandate. We've had a burp of a few dozen cases in Sydney over Christmas which then spread to Victoria, which led to state borders closing again, but I still feel safe walking around the streets; Victoria (pop. 6 million) recorded about 30,000 tests yesterday and picked up 1 case.

Taiwan is still doing well just from having pulled the drawbridge up at the start and implementing strict measures on returning citizens; inside the country life is still safe, free and relatively normal. That's 23 million people right there. China is 1 billion plus people living mostly normally, COVID control being helped along by a totalitarian state, but hey, they already had totalitarianism so now at least it's good for something. Ditto Vietnam, that's another 80 million people. South Korea and Japan are doing poo poo compared to how they were before, but still at a point any European country would love to be at.

I don't know enough about Africa to tell you whether they're just not testing enough, or whether they have genuinely good public health capacity borne from decades of ongoing health issues plus more authoritarian governments and compliant populations than most of the West, and I know we're talking about 50 different and diverse countries there, but hey, they seem to be doing better than Europe. That's another billion people.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Star Man posted:

What does it say about me that I'm worried that some dipshit SovCit is going to roll in when I'm at the clinic tomorrow for my first vaccination shot?

You’re suffering PTSD and need to chill.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Is there a preferred vaccine or is it just slam whatever into your arm.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Lucca Blight posted:

the johnson&johnson one is trying to get approved for february and that is only going to be a single dose shot

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lucca Blight posted:

They're all good

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I believe Pfizer actually has a form of the virus in it while Moderna is MRNA based, so if you’re immunocompromised you probs can’t get Pfizer.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

NieR Occomata posted:

I believe Pfizer actually has a form of the virus in it while Moderna is MRNA based, so if you’re immunocompromised you probs can’t get Pfizer.
Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are mRNA based while the Oxford/AstraZeneca and a few others like the Russian sputnik are based on chimp adenovirus. Here's the CDC page on them.

The CDC does have a page on mRNA vaccinations of people with underlying conditions, including immunocompromised people.

CDC posted:

Persons with HIV infection or other immunocompromising conditions, or who take immunosuppressive medications or therapies might be at increased risk for severe COVID-19. Data are not currently available to establish vaccine safety and efficacy in these groups. Persons with stable HIV infection were included in mRNA COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials, though data remain limited. Immunocompromised individuals may receive COVID-19 vaccination if they have no contraindications to vaccination.

7of7 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 6, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Dave posted:

Honestly a year from now the whole world will be moved past this, for better or worse. I can’t speak of other countries but the US will likely “look” back together by end of summer. I don’t think the capacity limits and distancing practices are going to make it through the summer, poo poo Americans were barely able to stay away from vacation THIs summer.

It’s easy to slip into darkness in this thread but there is an end in sight, it’s just going to be slow and this year is going to be all about patience and lol we see how that is going. But it will happen.

might want to peep the "expected widespread vaccine availability" dates for much of the world

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

If anyone wants to see the vaccine distribution plan/data for their state, here's a great resource: https://ballotpedia.org/Coronavirus_(COVID-19)_vaccine_distribution_by_state

I haven't found anywhere else that has them all linked on one page like this that is being kept up-to-date.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

brugroffil posted:

might want to peep the "expected widespread vaccine availability" dates for much of the world

When I say moving past it I don't mean full vaccination. People are not going to have the will or the means to be locked down for another year but come 2022 I would be shocked if there are any travel bans or lock downs going on at a large scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

what will they do, let it spread unchecked instead? Many countries aren't expected to get appreciable quantities of vaccines until 2023 or 2024.