Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

What's a good phone for Verizon right now? I can't do device trade-in - it requires "good condition" but my LG G4 is ancient and the charging port broke years ago.

Call customer care , a lot of accounts have retention upgrade promos right now. Some good, some not good.

I just had a customer get $579 trade in for “any phone iPhone 4 or up,” and they brought in 2 iPhone 4’s for their trade ins. That’s an extreme example, so mileage may vary, but worth checking.

You probably should also check your plan if you haven’t changed it in the past 5 years.

Pixel 4a is good, I would say that or iPhone SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Man I googled a comparison between 5 and 4a 5g; neither allows expandable storage. Is that just not a thing anymore?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Man I googled a comparison between 5 and 4a 5g; neither allows expandable storage. Is that just not a thing anymore?

Google killed expandable storage on their phones with the Pixel 1. It’s still a think with most Samsung phones, but yeah, it’s def been going away.

Expandable storage is fine in theory, my input: android sucks with handling expandable storage, so for most “normal” people it just isn’t a great solution. Like it or not, everything is going to internet backup.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I have 2 lines on Verizon so that's why I'm asking this here.

I've personally using Android for well over 5 years at this point so I don't keep up on iPhones much, but my SO has an iPhone 6 that might finally be on its way out. I need to know what the current (or close to current) gen model is that is the cheap and small one ? Overall performance/camera stuff isn't a factor (and given the possible model jump it'd be a huge upgrade anyway) but the physical size is.

Also are there any data plans out there other than 5 and 10 gb ? Specifically thinking more than 10gb but not Unlimited ? I've been limping along on 2gb month/shared for 4+ years but since I got a S20 Ultra+ 6 months ago I've been having to start dipping into the collection of 1 gb bonus data tokens from Verizon UP that I've accumulated. Keeping the per month cost down is the priority. Thanks!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

iPhone se 2020 model. That's what would be a match and cheapest

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MREBoy posted:

I have 2 lines on Verizon so that's why I'm asking this here.

I've personally using Android for well over 5 years at this point so I don't keep up on iPhones much, but my SO has an iPhone 6 that might finally be on its way out. I need to know what the current (or close to current) gen model is that is the cheap and small one ? Overall performance/camera stuff isn't a factor (and given the possible model jump it'd be a huge upgrade anyway) but the physical size is.

Also are there any data plans out there other than 5 and 10 gb ? Specifically thinking more than 10gb but not Unlimited ? I've been limping along on 2gb month/shared for 4+ years but since I got a S20 Ultra+ 6 months ago I've been having to start dipping into the collection of 1 gb bonus data tokens from Verizon UP that I've accumulated. Keeping the per month cost down is the priority. Thanks!

It’s 5GB, 10GB or they just go to unlimited. Nothing more sorry. That’s mostly because the price for unlimited just becomes the next price up anyway.

The cheap small one is the SE, or next step up is the 12 Mini. Right now I’m recommending anyone call and check with Verizon customer care to see if they qualify for any account level promos. I have had customers with the iPhone 6 qualify for pretty good trade ins if you move to unlimited , so worth checking on.

Post your plan here and I can tell you whether you should stay or leave said plan.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Duckman2008 posted:

Right now I’m recommending anyone call and check with Verizon customer care to see if they qualify for any account level promos. I have had customers with the iPhone 6 qualify for pretty good trade ins if you move to unlimited , so worth checking on.

Post your plan here and I can tell you whether you should stay or leave said plan.

I've the Verizon plan medium 4gb, between a pixel 2 and a pixel 2 xl.

we pay 120 a month for this. :|

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Duckman2008 posted:

It's listed on the bill as "The new Verizon Plan Small 2 GB" for $35 a month + $40 for 2 lines access - this is the plan I got going on 5 years ago. Also, I don't have auto-pay or paperless billing turned on (which I probably should).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

papa horny michael posted:

I've the Verizon plan medium 4gb, between a pixel 2 and a pixel 2 xl.

we pay 120 a month for this. :|

4GB plan is $50 + $20 + $20 for 2 lines , so $90. I assume you have insurance?

MREBoy posted:

It's listed on the bill as "The new Verizon Plan Small 2 GB" for $35 a month + $40 for 2 lines access - this is the plan I got going on 5 years ago. Also, I don't have auto-pay or paperless billing turned on (which I probably should).

Yeah, your plan is now grandfathered and you won’t find a cheaper plan. If you aren’t going over 2GB keep this plan.

General FYI for both of you: 2 lines unlimited is $120 total with autopay with checking account, or $140 without.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Duckman2008 posted:

Call loyalty at (800) 392-0717 and ask for a manual credit. I can’t promise it, but I would expect them to credit you what you paid.

Called them up. They were able to verify that my return had been received a few weeks ago, but for whatever reason they just... didn't credit my account. At any rate it's been fixed. Thank you!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Verizon says the phone I traded in was broken and got $0 credit...but when I mailed it it was almost like new :v. Do I have any chance of getting this overturned?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Any chance it was still locked to an account of yours? IIRC they'll effectively zero-dollar value phones they can't get into (lock code, etc).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, it was all turned off. It was a android also.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

Verizon says the phone I traded in was broken and got $0 credit...but when I mailed it it was almost like new :v. Do I have any chance of getting this overturned?

That’s weird, just to be sure: no cracks ? Scratches fine, cracks not fine.

Did you put it in the bubble wrap mailer ?

Call loyalty at (800) 392-0717 . They should be able to pull a picture of it. Then it’s an escalation with them from there. Depends on what the picture shows.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the help. I called them and they said the rep I talked to was lieing and it was actually going to be credited the full amount. I'll wait and see waht they do. I also had another issue where one iphone wasn't credit the full $700 but I guess they were going to resolve that too.

I'll keep you all in the loop. Love love love Verizon so far though, such a great service compared to AT&T

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Duckman2008 posted:

4GB plan is $50 + $20 + $20 for 2 lines , so $90. I assume you have insurance?

General FYI for both of you: 2 lines unlimited is $120 total with autopay with checking account, or $140 without.

yeah. is there any real difference downgrading the insurance? the tech coach access has been really bad so far, and I typically have to call support anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

papa horny michael posted:

yeah. is there any real difference downgrading the insurance? the tech coach access has been really bad so far, and I typically have to call support anyway.

Yeah, insurance is:

$15: insurance, extended warranty and tech coach
$11: insurance and extended warranty
$7: insurance, no extended warranty

for goons here (if you want insurance at all) i recommend the $7 or $11, the extended warranty can be useful, person by person decision there.

Well, any questions people have, feel free to throw them out, because I am at home for the rest of the year. Coworker got covid. Waiting on my test, no symptoms yet so fingers crossed. We wear masks , customers have to wear masks, but you know, you gotta eat, so there are times when you don't.

Looks like I'll finally update the OP this week.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Duckman2008 posted:

Google killed expandable storage on their phones with the Pixel 1. It’s still a think with most Samsung phones, but yeah, it’s def been going away.

Expandable storage is fine in theory, my input: android sucks with handling expandable storage, so for most “normal” people it just isn’t a great solution. Like it or not, everything is going to internet backup.
After comparing specs I went with the Samsung A71 5g Uw, seems decent and they had a deal on it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
NOT going away. LG has expandable storage. Give them all your money. They are better phones. There is no reason to settle for garbage. Don't invest in apple mentality.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

NOT going away. LG has expandable storage. Give them all your money. They are better phones. There is no reason to settle for garbage. Don't invest in apple mentality.

Lol ok. Thanks for your bad opinion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I've been put off of LG *and* Samsung phones. As evidenced by my JUST getting around to upgrading my OG PXL, I hold onto my phones for a long time. And LG and Samsung seem to just assume their users upgrade every year or every other year and the quality and "user experience" seems to really reflect that.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I switched to Apple but yeah don't lump Samsung with the dumpster fire that is LG. Samsung at least on Verizon still updates their phones. The Note 9 and new Samsungs were drat good. Hell even the note 8 ran well and got newer updates.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm trying buy a Verizon phone for my parents and I have no idea how this works. I just wanna give them upgraded hardware, but most of the store pages I've looked at include some sort of activation component, and I'm not in a position to deal with that.

I've been told they are upgrade-ready but not sure what that entails these days. I've got no problem paying for the hardware outright rather than financing, but I wouldn't wanna forfeit a huge discount if that's on the table. In theory this wouldn't really be a big-ticket purchase, their phones are mad old.

I'm tempted to just be like "hey we're gonna get you a new phone, Merry Christmas!" But that's much less festive!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Minidust posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm trying buy a Verizon phone for my parents and I have no idea how this works. I just wanna give them upgraded hardware, but most of the store pages I've looked at include some sort of activation component, and I'm not in a position to deal with that.

I've been told they are upgrade-ready but not sure what that entails these days. I've got no problem paying for the hardware outright rather than financing, but I wouldn't wanna forfeit a huge discount if that's on the table. In theory this wouldn't really be a big-ticket purchase, their phones are mad old.

I'm tempted to just be like "hey we're gonna get you a new phone, Merry Christmas!" But that's much less festive!

Depending on how "mad old" they are, they might cease to work altogether when the 3G spectrum is done away with. Maybe a gift card, and work with them?

If they haven't ever used a smartphone, that could be a bit of a hard sell. My father couldn't get the hang of his and I just ended up getting him the DuraXV Extreme flip phone. It's 4G Voice capable and about as "advanced basic" as you can get.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
yes I should be a little more clear. their current models are Samsung Galaxy J3 V and J7 V, respectively. perhaps not truly "mad old," but they sure feel that way any time my parents try to scroll through photos!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Minidust posted:

yes I should be a little more clear. their current models are Samsung Galaxy J3 V and J7 V, respectively. perhaps not truly "mad old," but they sure feel that way any time my parents try to scroll through photos!

You could just buy them two unlocked Pixel 4As directly off the Google Play Store, those can be activated on Verizon's network. Get your mother the new ~limited edition~ "Barely Blue" SKU. That'll also help them differentiate between the two.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 24, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Are they on your plan or their own plan? You can only buy phones through Verizon for someone on your own plan.

Phones as a gift is good intentions , but honestly with the security and personal preference, it’s best for most people to do the latter that you mentioned. “Hey, we’re getting you a new phone !” Too many issues with everything from liability to personal preference to gift a phone.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Duckman2008 posted:

Are they on your plan or their own plan? You can only buy phones through Verizon for someone on your own plan.

Phones as a gift is good intentions , but honestly with the security and personal preference, it’s best for most people to do the latter that you mentioned. “Hey, we’re getting you a new phone !” Too many issues with everything from liability to personal preference to gift a phone.

They are actually on my brother's plan (who they are visiting for the weekend, which is why I can afford to do this shopping so late in the first place :v:)... so I'm inclined to agree that the element of surprise may just be more of a headache than it's worth. And hey the last thing I'd wanna do is inflict a largephone on someone who wouldn't wanna be holding all that. Collaborative is prob the best way to go, all things considered!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Verizon appears to have just not bothered to apply my trade-in discount after two billing cycles. That’s nice. I wonder if they’ll give me a credit for back-pay? The device was assessed to be worth the full value on 5 Dec.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallom posted:

Verizon appears to have just not bothered to apply my trade-in discount after two billing cycles. That’s nice. I wonder if they’ll give me a credit for back-pay? The device was assessed to be worth the full value on 5 Dec.

I had to chat with them twice on customer service about this same thing. I’m *supposed* to be getting a credit on this next bill, but we’ll see.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Once it hits it auto back dates for sure.

I would call loyalty at (800) 392-0717 and confirm that it’s processed correctly.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You could just buy them two unlocked Pixel 4As directly off the Google Play Store, those can be activated on Verizon's network. Get your mother the new ~limited edition~ "Barely Blue" SKU. That'll also help them differentiate between the two.

I actually ended up getting these (via Best Buy local pickup), so thanks again for the recommendation! Felt great to givt the actual phones in person, and my parents were thrilled. :)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Once it hits it auto back dates for sure.

I would call loyalty at (800) 392-0717 and confirm that it’s processed correctly.

Thank you - I called and spoke with a fellow who said it should show up in February and start counting then.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've had a Droid Turbo for 5 or 6 years now, it's been great but it's finally time for me to upgrade. I got it because at the time it was one of the few with wireless charging and had good battery life. Recently (past few months) it started shutting off at ~15% battery, that's now upgraded to shutting off at ~33% battery.

Is there a good Motorola still, or am I better off with something like a Samsung or Pixel? The Pixel 5 looks good but I remember hearing some of the previous Pixels were let downs and I haven't keep up recently.

Basically what I care about is some Android phone that should last me 4-6 years, gets good battery life, a bit bigger than my current phone (5.2", so ~6-6.5" sound good), wireless charging, and is tough (seriously not a scratch on my phone without ever using a case or screen protector).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

I've had a Droid Turbo for 5 or 6 years now, it's been great but it's finally time for me to upgrade. I got it because at the time it was one of the few with wireless charging and had good battery life. Recently (past few months) it started shutting off at ~15% battery, that's now upgraded to shutting off at ~33% battery.

Is there a good Motorola still, or am I better off with something like a Samsung or Pixel? The Pixel 5 looks good but I remember hearing some of the previous Pixels were let downs and I haven't keep up recently.

Basically what I care about is some Android phone that should last me 4-6 years, gets good battery life, a bit bigger than my current phone (5.2", so ~6-6.5" sound good), wireless charging, and is tough (seriously not a scratch on my phone without ever using a case or screen protector).

There is not a good Motorola right now unfortunately , and I wouldn’t get the pixel 5 either.

Samsung S20 and Note 20 are fine, although I would look for them on promo. Samsung is supposedly releasing the S21 in late January or early February , so if you can hold out a bit I would.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Duckman2008 posted:

There is not a good Motorola right now unfortunately , and I wouldn’t get the pixel 5 either.

Samsung S20 and Note 20 are fine, although I would look for them on promo. Samsung is supposedly releasing the S21 in late January or early February , so if you can hold out a bit I would.

Maybe I'm deluding myself in thinking that I don't need to spend $1000 on a phone to get everything I want (the Galaxy S20 FE is cheaper, does it lose much? Is this part of your recommendation?), is that really the entry point for a "good" phone now?

Why wouldn't you get a Pixel 5?

pik_d fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 6, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Maybe I'm deluding myself in thinking that I don't need to spend $1000 on a phone to get everything I want (the Galaxy S20 FE is cheaper, does it lose much?), is that really the entry point for a "good" phone now?

Why wouldn't you get a Pixel 5?

Galaxy FE is def fine. Sorry, I always forget about it.

And for the pixel 5

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/pixel-5-review-google-spends-its-bill-of-materials-budget-unwisely/

Like, Ars gets super on their high horse for sure, but I also somewhat agree. Google cheapened out.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Duckman2008 posted:

Galaxy FE is def fine. Sorry, I always forget about it.

And for the pixel 5

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/pixel-5-review-google-spends-its-bill-of-materials-budget-unwisely/

Like, Ars gets super on their high horse for sure, but I also somewhat agree. Google cheapened out.

Alright, I'll see what happens with the S21 (then maybe get an S20 if it's nothing impressive), are pre-orders for those similar to video card pre-orders where I need to be F5ing a page at 9AM or I'll miss it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Alright, I'll see what happens with the S21 (then maybe get an S20 if it's nothing impressive), are pre-orders for those similar to video card pre-orders where I need to be F5ing a page at 9AM or I'll miss it?

Samsung preorders are usually not back ordered unless they are having a manufacturing issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Galaxy S21 might be the first Android phone to get four years of guaranteed updates.