Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Penpal posted:

Compound is fun and easy and is one of my "jump in for a half hour" games, ESPECIALLY since the dev added a bow and arrow. Very satisfying to use, but the AI is inept and the levels are slowly becoming more interesting but I would recommend checking it out, because you can probably beat the entire game inside of your return window 3 times over

That said, if you buy the game and enjoy it enough that you're beating it, then please support the dev with a purchase instead of returning it. This is already a very niche gaming genre, and exploiting a return policy to deny a dev money for a game you enjoy is a dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Ended up going ham last night and getting a ton of poo poo at like 40-50% off. Some obvious ones like Alyx, KTANE, Superhot, and Moss, but also a few others like The Room, Carly & The Reaperman, The Morrigan, and both Pixel Ripped's.

I'd been on the fence about the Quest for months on account of Facebook and not wanting to support evil and such. This may be the lamest ever but I think the thing that actually tipped me into actually buying one was EmuVR. I just wanna decorate my 90s room :D :(

And hey, sounds like I can refund them all if the thing never shows up!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where did you get it?

Best Buy shipped, probably thanks to a wario64 tweet.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Shine posted:

That said, if you buy the game and enjoy it enough that you're beating it, then please support the dev with a purchase instead of returning it. This is already a very niche gaming genre, and exploiting a return policy to deny a dev money for a game you enjoy is a dick move.

absolutely - and I didn't mean to imply that you should beat it and return it, just that if you'll figure out if you like it or not within the return window. You will definitely see enough the of the game to know if it's your jam.

The levels are procedural and there has been consistent updates to the game since I bought it a year ago. And there are some mutators to make runs a bit different but I've only ever played with the bow and arrow mutator tbh.

Definitely don't be a scumsac and buy it, burn through it, and then return it. Hell I think it's on Vive's service so pay the fee and get a bunch of games to burn through in a month's time

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can come somewhat close if you do sniping in Payday 2, or H3VR. Both have good VR scope implementations.

Yeah, the xmas event in Hotdogs Horshoes and Hand Grenades is basically like "Silent Scope but you're moving around and kinda nutso". It's lots of ranged combat trying to defeat Santa's MAGA army of trash robots.

There's also some straight up "Sniper rifle challenges" shooting range but the Winter Wasteland is a better game scene.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Something I've had fun with this week is Sonic Generations, which has a 3D display mode built in - just switch it to 3D when you load up the game, then switch Virtual Desktop to the correct mode and you've got one of the better Sonic games from an alternate reality where 3D monitors didn't die along with 3DTV. Still need to use a controller, but I found it pretty fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait. Virtual desktop can understand 3D game content for 3D tv’s?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bought a Quest 2, immediately set up and patched Virtual Desktop; it runs really well wirelessly, which is good because the bedroom where my PC is has sloped walls with literally nowhere to stand and spread my arms, while my living room does.

Yeah it works really well after you get around all the sideloading bullshit, which is mostly a function of Oculus/Facebook making it harder than necessary to turn on without taking the step of outright disabling it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, if you point the controller below the screen in Virtual Desktop and squeeze the trigger you can set different display modes for 3D content.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

Lacrosse posted:

I just got into VR in September with a used Vive and my friends just convinced me to upgrade to an Index. I've been eyeing just the controllers for a while because I can't stand locomotion with the Vive wands in VRChat, but then I started having trouble seeing details far away at a few events I've been to so I caved.

I am very happy with the tracking on the Index and Index controllers. As far as I can tell, if your computer is running smoothly, it's 1:1.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Does the index have any strict setup rules for the base stations? Mine are sitting on the corners of my desk which doesn't seem ideal for at least the left one tracking correctly all the time. Should they be in front and symmetrical? Or one in front and one behind? The instructions are pretty sparse so maybe there's a pretty wide range of acceptability...?

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
My setup is far from professional. One up on a countertop, one on the shelf, kinda pointing toward one another, each about head-height.
I really want to wall-mount the stuff to be King Nerd, but the tracking is awesome in its current state.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Suburban Dad posted:

Does the index have any strict setup rules for the base stations? Mine are sitting on the corners of my desk which doesn't seem ideal for at least the left one tracking correctly all the time. Should they be in front and symmetrical? Or one in front and one behind? The instructions are pretty sparse so maybe there's a pretty wide range of acceptability...?

They're as adaptive as they can be, so whatever positions you put them in, they'll work with it.

However, obviously if they're both close to each other, then there's less redundancy. You want them to have pretty perpendicular views ideally, so if one base station loses tracking, the other one can still definitely see you.

So there's no hard limits about symmetry or anything like that AFAIK. I would try to mount them up on a wall with the included wall mounts if at all possible, having them above you angled down is pretty ideal to prevent losing tracking.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where did you get it? Everywhere I’ve seen is sold out completely. I’m looking to buy one and return my current one with a dead pixel and skip the oculus rma process

Maybe check around at local retailers. Anecdotal, but I saw a stack of them at my local target a few weeks ago.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

heh.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

Not at all. I put mine on my desk and a bookcase for a bit before moving to both near the ceiling with the included mounts. I pretty much forget they even exist except for a small whine you hear when they first start spinning up.

If I accidentally left my chair in the way when they were lower, I'd lose tracking on that side which makes sense. But I mean you completely lose your controller in game on that side; it doesn't even try to approximate it. That hasn't happened since I mounted em.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I'd been on the fence about the Quest for months on account of Facebook and not wanting to support evil and such. This may be the lamest ever but I think the thing that actually tipped me into actually buying one was EmuVR. I just wanna decorate my 90s room :D :(

You should also check out New Retro Arcade Neon if you haven't. Setup can be kind of a pain but it's pretty dope once you get it all figured out.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Suburban Dad posted:

Just remember that if the basestations get moved at all you will likely need to setup your room again (if you are doing roomscale).

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, if you point the controller below the screen in Virtual Desktop and squeeze the trigger you can set different display modes for 3D content.

For me, 3D flatscreen content still somehow seems less impressive than it should in VR, but it's a lot of fun to download a 3DS emulator and play some handheld games in 3D on a cinema screen.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Star Wars Squadrons is still loving dope.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Ended up going ham last night and getting a ton of poo poo at like 40-50% off. Some obvious ones like Alyx, KTANE, Superhot, and Moss, but also a few others like The Room, Carly & The Reaperman, The Morrigan, and both Pixel Ripped's.

And hey, sounds like I can refund them all if the thing never shows up!

Best Buy shipped, probably thanks to a wario64 tweet.

emuVR is the absolute best. Its such an enjoyable romp to disappear into. The little unnecessary details are so much fun, like having to plug in the consoles, or being able to make parts of textures emissive so they glow green like glow in the dark stickers/paint. lol, and it looks wonderful, things like candles and other tv's light up the area in a convincing way, and theres even an RGB pattern on the tv if you lean in close enough. Turn the lights out, set it to night time, and the glow of the virtual CRT can really take you back. They just had a huge netplay addition where people can now come over to your room and you can play together, and it looks pretty incredibly well done, the developer has a real commitment to this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZsBaOFi9vM

I've been meaning to try the netplay mode, but haven't had a chance yet to wrangle anyone else to give it a go, but considering how solid the rest of the project has been, I would expect it to work pretty well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No mans sky runs like poo poo on my computer. Er, I can't even tell if it's my computer or the game it just has all this reprojection and visual ticks it's very annoying. PC version looks better than PS4 by a long shot and the controls are actually competent vs terrible so that's good. I fogot how tedious this game is though. Will probably refund it. it still feels like actual work to play.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Speaking of No Man's Sky, is there a way of making the flight stuff use the sticks instead of wonky motion controls? I keep wanting to play more in VR, but everything is so gigantic in scale (in a weirdly chunky way) and the ship controls just feel bad.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

switching from a Rift S to a Reverb G2 has changed my character class

I used to be VR Game Player. Now I am VR System Configurator and Understander of Obscure Bios Settings That Shouldn't Impact VR But Do Because Lol x570 Lol 3080RTX Lol SteamVR :colbert:

After forcing PCIe3 in my bios, disabling X-AMP and doing some other poo poo, Squadrons seems to work fine. Competizone still likes to spin off into lovely oblivion even at 1x internally and 50% steam scaling; Alyx looks great but last I tried I couldn't get any of the control schemes to actually load.

fortunately HP only gives you a 7 day return window, so I don't have to worry about that :allears:

Mines packed up in its box awaiting pickup for a refund. In the time that i spent trying to get it to work properly the whole thing just seemed incredibly flakey... like you shouldn’t be releasing hardware that is so on the edge of USB and video design specs that a slight tolerance drift on any given PC port and the thing just flat-out doesn’t work.

I notice that the MS WMR troubleshooting guide now specifically says the minimum graphics card that will run a G2 is a 1080 - that’s despite HPs own recommendations still saying anything from a 1060 up is fine.

Yes i’m bummed out by the whole experience because the only realistic upgrade from my Rift S now is a Q2 and i’m not sure how i feel about that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Maybe check around at local retailers. Anecdotal, but I saw a stack of them at my local target a few weeks ago.

I wound up doing this and found them at Best Buy. They are still selling fast though. The page said I could have it delivered by Friday but by the time I got through the checkout process the page had changed to Sunday for pick up at the earliest.

Fingers crossed my new one is problem free.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

ROFLBOT posted:

Yes i’m bummed out by the whole experience because the only realistic upgrade from my Rift S now is a Q2 and i’m not sure how i feel about that.

Sounds like we've had a similar experience but just made different decisions about it. I couldn't go back to the Rift S after seeing how some things look in the G2, and enough things work well enough to keep me happy for now. I don't think this is all on HP -- unsure if you're in intel or AMD land, but I'm on an x570 board and that seems like a piece of the puzzle here.

I don't disagree that this feels like an "irresponsible" launch, but, lol, so did every major hardware launch this year and here I am with a 3080RTX, waiting for my chance in line to get a 5900x proc.

After all the loving around I've done it seems like the only thing I play that's still not working right is Competizone, and I have a couple other car sims to fill the gap in the meantime.

This is being compounded by nvidia drivers being kind of hosed for VR in general, which is a known issue that nvidia acknowledged a month ago but said is root cause unknown and therefore not fixed in the current or next set of drivers: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/k4c62e/official_update_on_the_nvidia_driver_stutter_issue/

All that said, I'm considering a forums name change to VR Configuration Artiste

Q2 is simply not an option for me; I'm never giving facebook another cent if I can avoid it.

edit:

ROFLBOT posted:

The experience of ordering then waiting 3 months for it to arrive, then when it does arrive you discover you cant use it without a $80 adaptor, then the ordered adaptor arrives and it still doesnt work, then you try on another PC without the adaptor and it still doesnt work - leaves me a little over it.

Okay, you had a worse experience because I waited like 6 weeks and didn't need an adapter or anything, and it worked with some number of titles no problem day 1 before I learned about supersampling and PCIe settings etc.

Of course, I'm still in the scary part of the bathtub curve, so, my experience may yet get worse!!

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 6, 2021

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I caved and bought a 20 dollar cadence sensor to use with my stationary bike for VR purposes. It should be arriving Sunday - I'll post some first impressions once it arrives. Going to be trying VZFit first.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah most of my experience is with Zaccaria, which I enjoyed. I'd really like to set up VP for VR but a tutorial would be nice, pointers where to download tables too.

Are there any others besides Stern, Zaccaria, and FX? I'm making a pin sim too.. but backburner'd it for months now but have all the parts, including a lockdown bar since that's what your hands rest on on a real machine

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I believe I am correct but I cannot yet play funhouse in VR, right?

PinballFX2 is pretty good, I have that for my Vita so I feel like I need to continue my streak in niche gaming hardware.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think Zen said there's something VR related from them coming up, so fingers crossed it's FX3 VR.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just hope they don't make you rebuy all the tables in VR this time. I own all the Williams tables already, I just want an FX VR mode.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Got a Quest 2! I was able to play Population: One via revive without linking a Facebook account, but now my time is here. gently caress. I guess VR will now know my political leanings :sadpeanut:

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Are there any kind of mechwarrior sort of games in VR? Seems like it would be a perfect cockpit/sitting experience.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

hello internet posted:

Are there any kind of mechwarrior sort of games in VR? Seems like it would be a perfect cockpit/sitting experience.

Yup: https://store.steampowered.com/app/334540/Vox_Machinae/

It's pretty light on content, though. Basically an arena shooter, no structured singleplayer mode, but there are at least bots in all modes.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

If I'm upgrading from a Vive headset and controllers to an Index headset and controllers, but reusing the Vive lightboxes, do I have to redo my play space setup even though I didn't move them? I'm just wondering if setting up the new hardware is gonna be as arduous of a process as setting up the Vive was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lacrosse posted:

If I'm upgrading from a Vive headset and controllers to an Index headset and controllers, but reusing the Vive lightboxes, do I have to redo my play space setup even though I didn't move them? I'm just wondering if setting up the new hardware is gonna be as arduous of a process as setting up the Vive was.

You might. When I upgraded from my Vive to a Vive Pro the playspace stayed the same but it kept beeping at me constantly for some unshown SteamVR alarm that got fixed by redoing the playspace.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah most of my experience is with Zaccaria, which I enjoyed. I'd really like to set up VP for VR but a tutorial would be nice, pointers where to download tables too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSjel9VopmDcLaDbVx5xAEYP3R_i7gY-StYYcWIh0Nxu5JOH3wfZ9AHQK5lqHggh3mMb4MHdvGQUq7a/pub

That's a guide for getting VPXVR setup, still need to actually test it out but have it all installed on a purpose built PC just for pinball (it doubles as the pc running my 3/4 scale virtual pinball cabinet)
Most tables you'll find at vpinball.com, ROM's are around but I managed to snag basically all ROM's ages ago before Gottlieb DMCA'd everyone hosting them, not sure if the torrents for them still exist.

Lockback posted:

I believe I am correct but I cannot yet play funhouse in VR, right?

PinballFX2 is pretty good, I have that for my Vita so I feel like I need to continue my streak in niche gaming hardware.

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/vr-room-funhouse/
You certainly can play Funhouse in VR, along with basically any emulated table with VPX. There are a bunch that have VR environments added but you can load any of them in VR but they may not be optimised for it.

Got a bit more work done on my pinsim, got all my buttons delivered today. Added the extra holes for magna save buttons today and did a test fit of all the hardware I have. Still need my lockdown bar which is going to have to wait a week or so more before I can get it.
The weekend will be spent wiring up all the buttons and adding the force feedback system to it, and adding the vinyl wrap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Neat!

I played through trover saves the universe and it's basically Rick and morty: the game but with different characters. Only 5-6 hours long and it's designed around seated play. Made me laugh a few times. Getting all the power babies was hyped to give a big reward and it was a dumb silly thing, to be expected. It was only a little janky in places. Couple things that forced restarting levels because progression was locked due to a bug. Nothing huge or time lost though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KTS posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSjel9VopmDcLaDbVx5xAEYP3R_i7gY-StYYcWIh0Nxu5JOH3wfZ9AHQK5lqHggh3mMb4MHdvGQUq7a/pub

That's a guide for getting VPXVR setup, still need to actually test it out but have it all installed on a purpose built PC just for pinball (it doubles as the pc running my 3/4 scale virtual pinball cabinet)
Most tables you'll find at vpinball.com, ROM's are around but I managed to snag basically all ROM's ages ago before Gottlieb DMCA'd everyone hosting them, not sure if the torrents for them still exist.

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/vr-room-funhouse/
You certainly can play Funhouse in VR, along with basically any emulated table with VPX. There are a bunch that have VR environments added but you can load any of them in VR but they may not be optimised for it.

Got a bit more work done on my pinsim, got all my buttons delivered today. Added the extra holes for magna save buttons today and did a test fit of all the hardware I have. Still need my lockdown bar which is going to have to wait a week or so more before I can get it.
The weekend will be spent wiring up all the buttons and adding the force feedback system to it, and adding the vinyl wrap.

This is extremely cool! How does it work in VR? Do you just align your body so the sim in real life lines up with the game? Or is there some way to tell the game where the sim is and adjust for player height so it appears correctly in game?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lacrosse posted:

I've never had a vive, but setting up a playspace with the index is uhh...

You put the controllers on the floor, then you point at your TV and click, then I think you draw an outline of your area, and you're done. Incredibly painless and takes under a minute.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Marxalot posted:

I've never had a vive, but setting up a playspace with the index is uhh...

You put the controllers on the floor, then you point at your TV and click, then I think you draw an outline of your area, and you're done. Incredibly painless and takes under a minute.

pro-tip: there's an option where you just click the trigger once in each corner of the playspace.