Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I watched a 8 minute long video about Bo Katan's backstory when she showed up and that was enough to understand her motivations and backstory. I imagine there's similar videos out there about Ahsoka too but I didn't watch any of those because I knew from Clone Wars commercials a decade ago that she was Anakin's padawan and that seemed about as much as I needed for her appearance here. YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen dozens of episodes of various Star Wars cartoons and anything to do with the Mandalorian homeworld is boring as gently caress. I dont' care about that black sword or who has the throne. Just blow the whole place up with the death star already. They somehow took a bounty hunter with an interesting costume and spun out a whole boring story about a warrior race. I just want to see space cowboy adventures.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just binged the first season of Cobra Kai and loved it but please don’t tell me that going forward that Miguel is going to be a shithead and it’ll be a whole “Johnny accidentally creates a monster” thing. I don’t want to ask in the Season 3 thread since I don’t want those spoilers.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Mu Zeta posted:

I've seen dozens of episodes of various Star Wars cartoons and anything to do with the Mandalorian homeworld is boring as gently caress. I dont' care about that black sword or who has the throne. Just blow the whole place up with the death star already. They somehow took a bounty hunter with an interesting costume and spun out a whole boring story about a warrior race. I just want to see space cowboy adventures.

Not long ago I read the Thrawn trilogy, which was written in the early 90's, and it read like the screenplay of a dumb space action movie instead of that self-referential backdrop you get from everything made since episode 1. I imagine a lot of the books were like that if you're willing to wade through some really bad writing.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I imagine there's similar videos out there about Ahsoka too but I didn't watch any of those because I knew from Clone Wars commercials a decade ago that she was Anakin's padawan
At the risk of opening a can of worms, how did they fit a padawan into his life? I thought he didn’t get made a master? Also, there doesn’t appear to be enough time (based on the prequels) to even have him meet a padawan, let alone train one to a point anyone should give a poo poo about her.

e: make it brief

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Torquemada posted:

At the risk of opening a can of worms, how did they fit a padawan into his life? I thought he didn’t get made a master? Also, there doesn’t appear to be enough time (based on the prequels) to even have him meet a padawan, let alone train one to a point anyone should give a poo poo about her.

e: make it brief

Knights can have padawans, and Ahsoka was assigned to him shortly after Episode 2 because they wanted to teach him responsibility.

They spend a few years together between Episodes 2 and 3 and then she quits the Jedi Order instead of being made a Jedi Knight. It's one of the high points of the cartoons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Knights can have padawans, and Ahsoka was assigned to him shortly after Episode 2 because they wanted to teach him responsibility.

Hey kid, you've got to be more responsible. Have this human being fursona alien I guess.

Jedi are such loving dicks I'll tell you what.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just binged the first season of Cobra Kai and loved it but please don’t tell me that going forward that Miguel is going to be a shithead and it’ll be a whole “Johnny accidentally creates a monster” thing. I don’t want to ask in the Season 3 thread since I don’t want those spoilers.

Miguel is a pure and good boy, not without flaws but he is and stays a good kid.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zedd posted:

Miguel is a pure and good boy, not without flaws but he is and stays a good kid.
This is semi spoilers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just keep watching Cobra Kai.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Kinda. He's made out to be more confused than evil, he's just surrounded by terrible influences. But if you loved the first season, you'll either love or hate the next two. It changes pretty drastically because they lean hard into the 80s cheese, so prepare to increasingly suspend your disbelief and you'll have a good time, just don't expect the first season's tone. Personally I thought the writing got really stupid once it focused more on the teen drama and cartoonish elements, but other people love it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Kinda. He's made out to be more confused than evil, he's just surrounded by terrible influences. But if you loved the first season, you'll either love or hate the next two. It changes pretty drastically because they lean hard into the 80s cheese, so prepare to increasingly suspend your disbelief and you'll have a good time, just don't expect the first season's tone. Personally I thought the writing got really stupid once it focused more on the teen drama and cartoonish elements, but other people love it.

If you just pretend that in this universe learning Karate apparently unlocks hidden super powers within you, the show is way more enjoyable.

Also if you just happen to be a fan of the movies or 80s cheese in general.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Spoiler for Cobra Kai S3 E5

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m a few episodes into Ted Lasso and loving it. It’s such a simple, light, feel good show and watching this and Cobra Kai back to back has been a wonderful stress-reliever over the holidays.

That said, Ted Lasso survives entirely on the performance of Jason Sudeikis and he has to play that character just right.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think Ted Lasso also survives on some smart writing too. Yes the show is full of cliches and tropes, but it also twists some of those tropes in ways that makes the show even more likable (especially the way it handled characters like Rebecca and Keeley). Which is the biggest bitch about Cobra Kai when I watched season 1. The misunderstanding trope is the most annoying trope of them all.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 4, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’m a few episodes into Ted Lasso and loving it. It’s such a simple, light, feel good show and watching this and Cobra Kai back to back has been a wonderful stress-reliever over the holidays.

That said, Ted Lasso survives entirely on the performance of Jason Sudeikis and he has to play that character just right.

nate fisher posted:

I think Ted Lasso also survives on some smart writing too. Yes the show is full of cliches and tropes, but it also twists some of those tropes in ways that makes the show even more likable (especially the way it handled characters like Rebecca and Keeley). Which is the biggest bitch about Cobra Kai when I watched season 1. The misunderstanding trope is the most annoying trope of them all.

Ted Lasso made my Top Ten shows of 2020. It was such a pleasant surprise, especially after binge-watching Bill Lawrence's Scrubs and Cougar Town during the pandemic. And combined with Schitt's Creek, Ted Lasso delivered some real joy and mirth for us in the month leading up to the election.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nate fisher posted:

haven't seen the show but the part I bolded is why I stay away from the sitcoms/comedy shows that are classically considered "good." So you're saying Ted Lasso doesn't do this at all, or are you saying it does it in an interesting way?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Klowner posted:

haven't seen the show but the part I bolded is why I stay away from the sitcoms/comedy shows that are classically considered "good." So you're saying Ted Lasso doesn't do this at all, or are you saying it does it in an interesting way?

Ted Lasso starts with characters that you assume are nothing but tropes. It has the owner that wants to him to fail, the airhead model, the dumb American in a foreign land, the aging sports star, the new up and coming star, and so on. Honestly the whole show is built on tropes, sports + typical fish out of water.

That said what makes the show great is that it twists many of the tropes just slightly into something else. The writers use these archetypes and tropes to their advantage by making you have preconceived notions about the show and twisting it such a way that it feels fresh. The characters actual grow with arcs that most comedies (especially sitcoms) don’t try to touch. It tells you a lot that there are characters I hated in episode 1 due to my preconceived notions that I ended up loving.

I can’t remember if there were any big misunderstandings in Ted Lasso (I watched when it aired), but the fact I can’t remember tells you it was earned if there was one.

Based on what you said stay away from Cobra Kai. It loves having the story progress only to have it knocked back to square one due to a misunderstanding. I only watched season 1 and half of 2 (plan to get back to it one day), but it feels like if the characters just communicate with each for 5 minutes there would be no conflicts for them to fight over.

Edit: I hope I used the terms trope and archetype correctly

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 4, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21DDcUSdteI

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Industry was a really good watch and I'm a little surprised I couldn't find a thread for it. Just blows right by. I think it'd be easy to nope out because of all the sex and drugs in the first episode or two, but the acting and character development throughout the show is top-notch.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Homecoming is a drama/mystery thing in two seasons which I just finished. The first season is a little slow but the second season is shorter and spot on in terms of pacing. The premise is not overly convoluted and is reasonably realistic. Good performances, well produced. And Julia Roberts for some reason.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s also a very good podcast which I would heartily recommend! And they did a good making of where they talked about changes they needed to make. For instance the first scene with Bobby’s character (David Schwimmer in the podcast) going through the factory and warehouse is set in an airport, which is easy enough to fake for a podcast - but far too expensive for a filmed show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really liked both seasons, though I know the second season wasn't as popular. I did miss the music choices from the first season though.

Red Oktober posted:

It’s also a very good podcast which I would heartily recommend! And they did a good making of where they talked about changes they needed to make. For instance the first scene with Bobby’s character (David Schwimmer in the podcast) going through the factory and warehouse is set in an airport, which is easy enough to fake for a podcast - but far too expensive for a filmed show.

Is the second season also adapted from the podcast, or did they invent new material for the show?

(I know the writers of both series are the same, I'm just wondering if the two shows are significantly different.)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Haven’t seen the second season yet.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I started watching The Orville and uh, it's real good? It's played completely straight, which isn't what I expected from the commercials I remember seeing years ago. It's TNG with some jokes and occasional modern pop culture references, I guess Seth MacFarlane really wanted to be on a Star Trek and decided to make his own instead. The alien design and makeup is real good and it's cool to see a show with a bunch of non-humanoid members as active parts of the crew.

I still can't really buy MacFarlane as a leading man, he's a much better voice actor than screen actor, but at least his character isn't the focus of every episode. And I guess if I were in his shoes I'd also always cast beautiful women to work with that I have to kiss in this script I wrote.

Started season 2 and Bortus continues to be the best character. I'm glad they're making another season.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I started watching The Orville and uh, it's real good? It's played completely straight, which isn't what I expected from the commercials I remember seeing years ago. It's TNG with some jokes and occasional modern pop culture references, I guess Seth MacFarlane really wanted to be on a Star Trek and decided to make his own instead. The alien design and makeup is real good and it's cool to see a show with a bunch of non-humanoid members as active parts of the crew.

I still can't really buy MacFarlane as a leading man, he's a much better voice actor than screen actor, but at least his character isn't the focus of every episode. And I guess if I were in his shoes I'd also always cast beautiful women to work with that I have to kiss in this script I wrote.

Started season 2 and Bortus continues to be the best character. I'm glad they're making another season.

The first couple episodes were pretty much as advertised, then it took a hard turn into "TNG with less formal crew and historical references that trend more post-1950." As near as anyone can tell, MacFarlane only got the network to back it when he sold it as "It's like Family Guy buy in space, right?" and started making the show he really wanted as soon as they stopped hovering over his shoulder.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I take back a little of my criticism of MacFarlane's acting, I just watched s3e4 and he gave a pretty good performance. But I also really like Billy Joel so that probably has something to do with it too, haha.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Mu Zeta posted:

I just want to see space cowboy adventures.

:hai:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Mandalorian season 2. I didn't care too much for the first season. It felt aimless and pointless, like watching someone do video game missions while simultaneously feeling like a low budget 90's show. I know that was the appeal for some people.

Season 2, however, just clicked for me much better. The first half still has that "mission of the week" feel to it, but it finally starts feeling like a real show in the second half. The second half of season 2 is by far the best thing to come out of Disney Star Wars.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Just finished Mandalorian season 2. I didn't care too much for the first season. It felt aimless and pointless, like watching someone do video game missions while simultaneously feeling like a low budget 90's show. I know that was the appeal for some people.

Season 2, however, just clicked for me much better. The first half still has that "mission of the week" feel to it, but it finally starts feeling like a real show in the second half. The second half of season 2 is by far the best thing to come out of Disney Star Wars.

To me its the opposite: S1 was indeed like watching a CRPG as TV but it was lots of fun and was refreshing

Season 2 kinda feels like that videogame sequel released just a bit after the first one, on the same engine just with a lot more stuff. But it just feels more of the same and lost the charm the first one had

Also they doubled and tripled on the SW fan service side and if you like me only watched the main series of SW movies, most of it falls flat. You are constantly meeting characters that seems to come from rich backgrounds that are just mentioned in passing (you are supposed to know) and go on a leaving lot of open narratives (that are going to be developed on other shows I wont watch)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I take back a little of my criticism of MacFarlane's acting, I just watched s3e4 and he gave a pretty good performance. But I also really like Billy Joel so that probably has something to do with it too, haha.

My favorite part of the Orville is that you'd expect Macfarlane to make his character some sort of dashing badass being the captain, but really he comes off as a everyman and kind of a creep a bunch, which is intentional.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I got GoT's final season for Christmas so I finished over the weekend. It was clearly rushed and didn't stick the landing as it should have, but I can't say I had the "it invalidated the whole thing" loathing it seems to have triggered in others.

Currently half-way through the second season of The Boys. Somehow it slipped under my radar until I found the first season over Christmas. I find the main conspiracy thread a bit drawn out but I'm enjoying the ride of "What poo poo can we do with all the possibilities of superpowers?".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah they come up with more and more convoluted reasons for The Seven to exist but everything else is still fun.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah they come up with more and more convoluted reasons for The Seven to exist but everything else is still fun.
I think importantly it does a really good job with it's internal logic. People behave like people would, Supes (ab)use their powers like people with superpowers would. It's not driving the plot by having characters do stupid things or to get around the issue of Supes with strong powers.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

To me its the opposite: S1 was indeed like watching a CRPG as TV but it was lots of fun and was refreshing

Season 2 kinda feels like that videogame sequel released just a bit after the first one, on the same engine just with a lot more stuff. But it just feels more of the same and lost the charm the first one had

Also they doubled and tripled on the SW fan service side and if you like me only watched the main series of SW movies, most of it falls flat. You are constantly meeting characters that seems to come from rich backgrounds that are just mentioned in passing (you are supposed to know) and go on a leaving lot of open narratives (that are going to be developed on other shows I wont watch)

I can see both sides of the argument and won't fault anyone for which they prefer. On one hand it was nice to have a show that was just its own thing in the Star Wars universe that wasn't part of the big, existing story. On the other, even though it was truckloads of fanservice, it did it with grace, which the sequel trilogy did not.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Finished season 1 of Designated Survivor a few days back and it’s really helped me understand today’s weirdness (I’m in the uk). Thanks to the show I know what the 25th amendment means, also that politics is both dumb and boring as I found myself skipping the politics for the conspiracy stuff.

Not going to bother with season 2, I have a feeling it would only get dumber.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, that was me 2 years ago. I mostly just stayed just for Kiefer and Maggie Q, but never bothered with Season 2. There's also a Korean version which I know nothing about. I might check that out to see if they made a less dumb version.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I liked Mandalorian S2 as well but the fanservice was overt. What was the point of Luke showing up at the end? It was literally just a random character appearing out of nowhere to delete all opposition. It felt like it existed solely to make fans go "oooh, that's LUKE" and nothing else

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kevin Smith probably ejaculated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Collapsing Farts posted:

I liked Mandalorian S2 as well but the fanservice was overt. What was the point of Luke showing up at the end? It was literally just a random character appearing out of nowhere to delete all opposition. It felt like it existed solely to make fans go "oooh, that's LUKE" and nothing else

Did you not pay attention to the last four episodes?

Grogu needs a teacher to learn to use the force or his abilities will fade over time, they go to the old jedi ruins and he reaches out through the force for a jedi to find him, and a jedi shows up. Luke is one of a handful of jedi that still exist at that point in the Star Wars universe, why wouldn't it be him?