Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm definitely late on this resubmission, so freely disallow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0BISqAr3A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Welcome once again to-

-where today our artists render their own SA usernames. There's some great stuff here, across an astonishing variety of media. It has not been easy to find a winner! I seriously considered rolling a dice for it at one point. Anywho...

TVsVeryOwn posted:

felt cute, might delete later
Materials: electrical tape, CRT TV, camcorder, capture card, Photoshop

There's no doubt that a staticky TV screen is a powerful bit of imagery. (Even if it's full impact might be lost on Young People Today.) I absolutely love the chunky analog messiness of this, all those sandwiched layers of outdated tech and data loss. It is defiantly inefficient and out of date, like one of those flamethrower-powered vintage cars from Mad Max. (It also means I have no idea how to critique this, since I'm not even sure what it is.)
I was going to say that the actual look of the final product doesn't overly appeal to me. But then it took me right back to 1993 and watching late night tv with my much older, cooler, less-rule-abiding brother. I can hear this picture. Which is a great achievement.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Let's do this.

Yeah, there are some random pixels in the background and I think at least one frame is repeating. SO WHAT.

Materials: pixels, booze.

Food with human faces aaaaaaaaaa
So, it's a cheerful jolly brown wafer, with friendly big blue text and a nice chunky pixelly art style, and he's running! Woo! But is that a hint of sadness in the Wafer's blink? And a touch of stubborn pride to the epitaph, "shitposting since '02"? And to where is this Wafer running, we ask? Onwards, we answer. Ever onwards.
I've never had much luck getting .gifs to work how I picture them in my head, but I did have an animation student as a housemate for a couple years there. There's a couple of ooooold animator's tricks you could've used to make the Wafer's stride more convincing- making the body go up and down a little bit with each step would have helped.
Still: it's fun and creepily compelling, and while the animation is a bit janky, the colour palette is magnificent. You've made a food product ad, and given it the least appetising background colour possible. Stale milk and phlegm. It takes a while for one's conscious mind to register this hue, and figure out why one is involuntarily grimacing...

Truman Peyote posted:

Materials: bristol board, india ink, watercolor.
I'd been considering these materials for the cover of the comic book I've been working on so this is also a sort of experiment for that.

(I had to wiki "truman capote" for this one, sorry. And then "peyote.")
This is nice. I like the linework, the little touches of shading, the lovely saturated colours. The symmetrical composition, combined with Truman's posture and restrained monochrome scheme, provide a sense of calm. Yet the hypercolour canyon and Truman's expression suggest watchful anticipation. And the little Saturn silhouette is great, a pleasingly geometrical detail in a world of hatchings and bumps. The one thing I don't like is that yellow patch of horizon- I feel a sense of distance would be better provided by a really smooth and even wash of colour.
Three questions:
-why do Truman's shoes break the monochrome scheme? It's otherwise really strong, and best not messed with.
-the blue-green canyons almost form a butterfly wing shape around Truman, which seems appropriate given "peyote" translates as "butterfly cocoon" (thanks Mister Google.) Was this, like, intentional?
-have you thought about where you'd fit a title etc in this composition? It would seem a shame to cover over that nice rich stretch of red sky.

Doll House Ghost posted:

Medium: Affinity Designer

I did a dumb thing and Affinity refuses to open my work file ever again because it's 2,7Gt (lol) so this is less ready than I'd liked. But I wanted to post something and arguably there's both a doll house and ghost so oh well. Open in new tab to look at deets.

This one poses a lot of questions. It this a human ghost who has taken up residence in a doll's house because the decor feels more familiar? Or is the ghost unaware they are in a dollhouse? Or is it the ghost of a doll? Or the spirit of the dollhouse itself, a kind of genius loci spawned by the fundamental creepiness of dreadful Victorian-era children's stuff?
Regardless, all the details are here: the flowers are dead, the portraits are wrong, the bath is suspiciously full. The colours are bright yet stained; the rooms are well-lit yet shadows gather in the corners. And the little skulls and dead flowers are drawn with exacting, fussy attention to detail: a kind of prim stuffiness beautifully at odds with the subject matter. It's just really clever.
All of this speculation comes later. Having grown up with Where's Wally books, my first instinct was to track down as many weird little details as possible. I would have liked to see a finished version with more details to find, had the program not choked to death on your giant file and/or succumbed to the influence of the Ghost.

This one is sneaky. I nearly missed it.
Here is an astronaut, tethered to some kind of spaceship. The composition is excellent, very dynamic, and I like the figure's pose . The linework gives the impression of highly technical detail, which never quite resolves when one focuses on it. (This is a cruel trick to play on a recovering scifi nerd.) The background wash is really wonderful and provides a sense of space and movement that-
Wait. Everything is white. Or light grey. You've drawn a space scene with no black.
It's great. The question then becomes, is this Void space, or something stranger? Is our subject an astronaut at all?
My one complaint would be the thingy at the bottom right- I feel it would have benefited from having less detail, on par with the other Void Thingies. It seems somehow a bit cartoonish compared with the rest of the picture?
Still. Great composition, great ink, the linework is making me feel truly envious and "space scene w/ white background" is just genius.

HeartArt posted:

Ran outta time on this one, but wanted to do something artsy fartsy and I did, so success!
Medium: procreate

Okay. So, years and years ago, when I was a lowly student in a (very) long-distance relationship, I managed to drop in on my beloved at their university; they had to go to a lecture for an hour or so, so they suggested I just hang out in the med school library while I waited; so I ensconced myself in a back corner with a book and was happily reading until I glanced up and noticed, on the shelf next to me, a human liver floating in a jar; and as my horrified gaze traversed the shelves I realised I had basically wandered into a room walled with bits of humans floating in various glass containers, up to and including an entire hand that I can still see in dreams some nights.
Anyway! The point is, I can confirm that your anatomically correct heart is very skilfully rendered, and the casual-looking linework somehow conveys a surprising amount of detail and a pleasing sense of three-dimensionality, if that is a word. The hundreds of tiny love hearts form a wonderful threefold irony: they make a nice contrast with the anatomical heart (which is the real heart-?); they give the impression of red blood cells pulsing through veins under a microscope; and they look like something a kid might doodle on the back of a school book, yet there are hundreds of the drat things, each one rendered with the same level of care. Again, a really clever artwork, filled with multiple levels of intersecting irony.

SO

After spending an embarrassingly long time agonising over this, and fretting over how to resolve a kind of multi-way tie, we can announce that the winner of the first ArtDome for 2021 is Truman Peyote. They have given us a true "front cover" image: something striking, amusing and sincere, that prompts us to ask: I wonder what's next?

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Pet Portraits and Custom Commissions

Tree Bucket posted:

Welcome once again to-

After spending an embarrassingly long time agonising over this, and fretting over how to resolve a kind of multi-way tie, we can announce that the winner of the first ArtDome for 2021 is Truman Peyote. They have given us a true "front cover" image: something striking, amusing and sincere, that prompts us to ask: I wonder what's next?

Thanks very much for the thoughtful critique! Congrats to the winner too :)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Wow, thanks so much! What a nice surprise! Very excited to join gang tag crew.

And I guess I get to choose the next theme, so this time it is all about the WORLD OF THE FUTURE.

I got this book from a garage sale when I was a kid and I fuckin loved the thing. It was part of the Usborne "World of the Future" series, which also included the "Usborne Book of the Future," "World of the Future: Robots," and "World of the Future: Star Travel." They were basically picture books that showed diagrams and illustrations of all the marvels that awaited a few decades over the horizon. Lots of pages and illustrations are available for inspiration if you google those titles.

They first came out in 1979 and I would guess the idea was to show kids some cool things to expect in their own lifetimes. This means there are a lot of specific predictions that didn't quite make it.

I want to see some new stuff that belongs in one of these books. Show me an illustration of an environmentally-sustainable factory. Let me see a diagram of some future vehicle or device. The books were full of explanatory labels, which will be very useful in telling me what I'm looking at.

No restrictions on style or medium. It can be making predictions for a child born in 2021, or it can be a lost page that was left on the cutting room floor when the books were first published. They were generally very optimistic about technology and the future, but that doesn't mean you have to be. The only rule is that I want to see a vision of our future.

Register by 11:59PM PST, Sunday, January 17
Submit by 11:59PM PST, Sunday, January 31

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ooooh... this is giving me ideas. Might give this one a try.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
No idea what I'm going to do, but I'm going to do something.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

(I had to wiki "truman capote" for this one, sorry. And then "peyote.")
This is nice. I like the linework, the little touches of shading, the lovely saturated colours. The symmetrical composition, combined with Truman's posture and restrained monochrome scheme, provide a sense of calm. Yet the hypercolour canyon and Truman's expression suggest watchful anticipation. And the little Saturn silhouette is great, a pleasingly geometrical detail in a world of hatchings and bumps. The one thing I don't like is that yellow patch of horizon- I feel a sense of distance would be better provided by a really smooth and even wash of colour.
Three questions:
-why do Truman's shoes break the monochrome scheme? It's otherwise really strong, and best not messed with.
-the blue-green canyons almost form a butterfly wing shape around Truman, which seems appropriate given "peyote" translates as "butterfly cocoon" (thanks Mister Google.) Was this, like, intentional?
-have you thought about where you'd fit a title etc in this composition? It would seem a shame to cover over that nice rich stretch of red sky.

Hah, I actually also had to look up both "truman capote" and "peyote" before drawing this. Thanks for the thoughtful critique! To answer your questions:

- there's no good reason to break the monochrome. I agree that it would be improved if they'd been black or grey.
- no, I'd never heard that before uh, yes, of course, all my art is layered with meaning
- I had not considered it, I was mostly using it to test and try out watercolors, which I haven't used since grade school. The comic book I referred to is a black-and-white noir-ish style, so it would have to look pretty different to this. I could see some big white text right in the middle, though, vertically centered bold text stretching to the edges, if this were to be used for a comic about truman capote doing drugs.

Congratulations also to everyone else who entered, each of these is really impressive!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

This one is sneaky. I nearly missed it.
Here is an astronaut, tethered to some kind of spaceship. The composition is excellent, very dynamic, and I like the figure's pose . The linework gives the impression of highly technical detail, which never quite resolves when one focuses on it. (This is a cruel trick to play on a recovering scifi nerd.) The background wash is really wonderful and provides a sense of space and movement that-
Wait. Everything is white. Or light grey. You've drawn a space scene with no black.
It's great. The question then becomes, is this Void space, or something stranger? Is our subject an astronaut at all?
My one complaint would be the thingy at the bottom right- I feel it would have benefited from having less detail, on par with the other Void Thingies. It seems somehow a bit cartoonish compared with the rest of the picture?
Still. Great composition, great ink, the linework is making me feel truly envious and "space scene w/ white background" is just genius.
Thank you for your critique! I definitely always want to improve my linework, so this is welcome to see.

Congratulations, Truman and I love the prompt! I'm in for this one as well.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm IN for this one. I think I remember this book, or a companion book, from our school library. It had a really odd and morbid final page speculating that teleportation is kind of like killing people, when you think about it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm IN for this one. I think I remember this book, or a companion book, from our school library. It had a really odd and morbid final page speculating that teleportation is kind of like killing people, when you think about it.

Yeah, but it's also kind of creating people if you think about it. Look at the bright side while performing your future job as a teleporter operator.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, but it's also kind of creating people if you think about it. Look at the bright side while performing your future job as a teleporter operator.

This is inspirational stuff for artdome, gotta say

Truman Peyote posted:

uh, yes, of course, all my art is layered with meaning

New thread title, surely

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I want to have an idea for this one so I am in.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

still 3 days to throw your cyber hat in the hover ring as a participant. or even a backup judge?!?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'll try to do better this time, coach.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Very excited to see the entries from:

- Krispy Wafer
- void_server
- Tree Bucket
- syntaxrigger
- TVsVeryOwn
- and I'm not 100% sure readingatwork was committing but I'm going to assume so

Two weeks until the deadline of Sunday the 31st!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm not sure you could call what I'm drawing "art," but I'm certainly having a lot of fun with it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I am absolutely committing. I just hope I can get it done by the deadline.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Well, it's not art exactly, but it was a stupid amount of fun to make!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lmao that's great

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This was a fun prompt.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
What's the time limit? I'm getting close to done and should have it ready to go by midnight tonight (PST)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

as long as it's up before I check it tomorrow morning I'm happy

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Genuinely shocked I got this bastard done on time. Feeling pretty optimistic about the future y'all!

(Content warning: Gets a bit dark)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
We goons are a troubled people.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 1, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

<3 this thread

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Submissions are closed! Artdome has begun! Today our contestants will bring us art inspired by usborne's "world of the future" book series, and I will attempt to look competent while critiquing artwork.

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, it's not art exactly, but it was a stupid amount of fun to make!

I love it. It's a dynamic composition, the color palette holds together well, and the captions are very amusing. The sun highlights do a lot to make it look more three-dimensional and to give the overall image a sort of "magic hour" feeling, and the texturing of colors does a lot to give it visual interest. I think what I like most about it is the sense of fun it conveys - the ideas, from dirigibles to dolphins, are very playful, and I appreciate that even though it is a depiction of a fairly dark future, it presents it in a bright and optimistic "solarpunk" tone where there are still whimsical ideas and goofy-looking characters and birds flying around in the sunset.

I think the biggest weakness is the art on the characters - the same line width is used throughout, from the main body contours on our zipliner to the harness on our distant sea salvager, which sort of flattens the detail between the near and far figures. I'm not exactly sure how to phrase my objection to the lineart, but it kind of looks like it was done with the photoshop pencil tool at a low dpi - working on a larger image and shrinking it for publishing would let you work with finer lines and smooth out some of the imperfections. The zipline device could use a bit more attention - it looks like she should be falling off - and I would look at some comic art for examples of wider margins on the text boxes, which are a little cramped in some places.

Krispy Wafer posted:

This was a fun prompt.

Another entry with a very fun atmosphere - I'm a sucker for this retrofuturist type stuff. There are a lot of tiny details in here that really make this pop, from the coffee stain to the slight offset between the black and colored ink. The most impressive aspect for me is the amount of personality in each character: they are all very distinctly shaped, and they all play off of 50s archetypes in a way that tells a story about each one. You've done a great job of capturing that 50s futurust aesthetic here.

The only thing I can really criticize is our JAVANATOR 5000 itself - while there's a surprising amount of 3-dimensionality pushed into the very simple shapes of the arms, the body is essentially a rectangle, and besides the arms there's not much there telling us that we are looking at a robot. I think it could have been fun to see more detail and personality in its body, or a more interesting shape if you wanted to keep the detail low in this part of the composition.

readingatwork posted:

Genuinely shocked I got this bastard done on time. Feeling pretty optimistic about the future y'all!

(Content warning: Gets a bit dark)

This one shows an amazing amount of effort. The character art is fantastic - Billy is very distinct and instantly recognizable in every image, and his face and body are very expressive, from his slightly sinister excitement at his operation being approved to the funny face just before the climax. (I think funny faces are very underused in cartoons and comedy in general these days.) Each image is very legible and clean, and the tone of the images and captions match perfectly, making this a great read. I love how you're able to create such distinct textures with such simple lines, for example on Ur'gthaan and as we scroll into the horror image at the end.

I think the criticism I have here is that there aren't any especially bold images aside from the extremely bold pile of corpses image, largely because most of the images are white fields with similar lines on them - some blacks or textures would have helped create some more striking and diverse images. I suspect this was done to create contrast with the huge black field at the end, but I think the large white margins are enough to keep that contrast even if you'd had more blacks or tones throughout. The automated car panel does use a little bit of black, and as a result has the most depth of any of the panels before the corpse pile.

I love the starkness of this image and the detail that is hidden in the chaos. I also like the excessive labelling - I have to laugh at the background images that would otherwise be indecipherable geometries that the labels bluntly insist are some kind of fantastical device. I love the figure of Desdemona - there's so much detail suggested, especially in her eyes and boot, without ever fully resolving into a totally clear image; you've got a great sense of how to use impressionistic lines where you can and where the eye craves a hint of detail. It looks like a dream, or a premonition.

My criticism is that I would like to see more detail on the vehicle. Without the labels, it would be hard to know that this is supposed to be an image of the future, and I think the cruiser would be a good opportunity to add clarity there, for example by putting the sort of detail you have put into Desdemona into the device, or at least into some component like a cockpit or an engine. There's also a little bit of tonal inconsistency in the captions - in some of them, we're skattin' and be-boppin' with "you can hack this" and "portable beacon jammer, maybe?", and elsewhere we've got a foreboding story about a desparate, dangerous excursion into the underworld. They both work on their own, but undercut each other a little in combination.

drum roll increasing-gain synth tone, please

The winner this time is Tree Bucket. Out of a field of incredible technical entries, this one stood out as the one that gave me the greatest sense of adventure and wonder, like I remember getting from the books as a kid.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dang, thought I had that one! Oh well, making GBS threads on capitalism and drawing lovecraftian horror is it's own reward.

Congratulations Tree Bucket on a great entry! :golfclap:

Edit: Also Thank you Truman Peyote for your kind words and good crits! I'll try and work your advice into future work.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 1, 2021

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Congrats to Tree Bucket for the win! Also, thank you for the awesome crit, Truman Peyote!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the critique. I was drawing inspiration from an Eastern European comic strip called Jukica so I was taking pains to make everything look as simple as possible. I knew that was going to be an issue with the robot, but the more detail I added the less frenzied it looked. At some point you have to say, “screw it, it’s now a metal tube.”

Congrats on the win, Tree Bucket.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks for the win. This was a really fun prompt; it reminded me very much of being a kid, scribbling away on a rainy Saturday afternoon. (A theme I'll continue into this month's prompt...)
Well done to the other artists! I really want to meet Javabot and Desdemona and Billy again.
Well, perhaps not Billy.

Anywho, this month's prompt is:
D I N O S A U R S
Because dinosaurs are the best. And the history of dinosaur illustration is super interesting in its own right.
Last century, dinosaurs were firmly embedded in the public imagination as primitive lumbering behemoths, thanks to some really lovely "golden age" illustrators such as Charles Knight...

...ironically, Knight's out-evolved dinos were themselves out-evolved, as we gradually learnt that many dinosaurs were (probably) warm-blooded, intelligent, active and sociable. They may even have been coloured something other than Hippopotamus Grey! James Gurney takes this to an interesting extreme in Dinotopia, a book from the early 90's that Young Me read until it dissolved...

...dinosaur illustration is currently in something of a renaissance, with incredible fossil finds recording skin impressions, colouration and the presence (controversially!) of feathers...

(Simon Stahlenhag)

...culminating in the fascinating and eminently google-able "shrink-wrapped dinosaurs" movement, which encourages illustrators to remember that there's more to a critter than its skeleton.

(I wish I could find the original source for this, but I suck at internet)

SO

Let's draw/paint/sew/pixelify/engrave/etc some dinosaurs! The winner will be whichever picture a 9-year-old is most likely to stick on their wall.

e: Sign-ups close at midnight on Sunday the 14th of February
Submissions close at midnight, Sunday the 28th of February

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 3, 2021

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Count me in for dinos

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Angrymog posted:

Count me in for dinos

I am willing to consider various enormous extinct felines as "dinosaurs" for the purposes of this exercise

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

I'm in for dinosaurs.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I'm in

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sign me up

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

I would like to draw a dinos. Sign me up!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I'll draw a thunder lizard!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to draw a dinosaur with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I would like to draw a dinosaur.