Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gromit posted:

I usually find the parkour stuff in these sorts of games fine, but Shadow of Mordor generally infuriated me with how often the player leapt on or off things that I didn't want to. It could be that I'm just poo poo, but this was the only game I felt that way, having played a ton of Batman, AC and nu Tomb Raider.

SoM/W are definitely a little funkier than the other games of that stripe and Talion's tendency to mount small rocks at weird times is definitely a thing so I guess I could see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Double postin so people can ignore my being a dumb rear end in a top hat for an actual good post;

Phantom Brigade is real good y'all. Like Hades I'm yelling about it in super early access and I would not necessarily recommend it without reservation at this moment, be it reservation of content, EGS or whatever else might matter to you but if you like Frozen Synapse, squad based tactics or big stompy robit murder, it's good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks guys, I've played a bit more of the demo and have been enjoying it so I'm glad that a) It's not just me that's terrible at platforming, but it's not a big deal and b) stuff like gems and the lvling system look very tame, not a lot of sharp grindy vertical progression etc.

(fake edit: aw gently caress, the sale just ended. Guess to the wishlist it goes!)

I'm also super keen for Phantom Brigade, it's scary how much it looks exactly my jam.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orv posted:

Between the complains about Assassin's Creed parkour, Batman parkour and now this I'm increasingly confused about how people have problems controlling the PC. I don't know what I could really say to convince you about it other than I played the entire game without changing a single keybind and never once had issues. :shrug:

E: Yeah occasionally you get caught in some weird corner or edge case but everyone always talks about randomly jumping off poo poo or going in random directions and I have no idea how.

Also playing with KB+M is inevitably going to add like an extra 5% jank factor to the controls unless you're really attuned to the specific combination of WASD and mouse camera wrangling that approximates joystick movement.

Orv
May 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Also playing with KB+M is inevitably going to add like an extra 5% jank factor to the controls unless you're really attuned to the specific combination of WASD and mouse camera wrangling that approximates joystick movement.

I play all those games on KB+M but haven't really had any problems. Granted I've been playing that style of game on KM+B since... AC1? I dunno if there's anything really older that predates that with the same sort of control system so I might not be the best benchmark for Is It hosed?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Orv posted:

I play all those games on KB+M but haven't really had any problems. Granted I've been playing that style of game on KM+B since... AC1? I dunno if there's anything really older that predates that with the same sort of control system so I might not be the best benchmark for Is It hosed?

Just tell me you're not That Guy who buys games on Steam like, I dunno, Bayonetta, and then leaves a huge negative review raging about how the KB+M controls suck.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they do suck. I'm sure flipping pancakes with a single chopstick also sucks. There just seems to still be a few of That Guy around who cannot accept that just because a game is on PC, does not mean it MUST be played with mouse+keyboard, and all else is an insult and/or heresy. Fortunately those guys have been a dying breed ever since things like Big Picture Mode and the Steamlink were introduced.

This is not to say that there's anything wrong with playing every game with KB+M if you can and that's what you prefer. You know what I mean.

I did some press for Dungeon Siege 3 back in the day and still have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about how those guys couldn't get past the name (it really shouldn't have been called Dungeon Siege 3) and control scheme and look at the game for what it was instead of what they thought it should have been. I liked it. :colbert:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 6, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've never written a review or complained about controls, but I do use KB+M for virtually everything that isn't a racing game :v:

I enjoyed The Witcher 3 with kbm. I enjoyed the driving in CP2077 with kbm. There were a few times in AC:Valhalla where I couldn't seem to go up / get down from things as expected but I think that was less the controls and just the games own detection of objects.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 6, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

Just tell me you're not That Guy who buys games on Steam like, I dunno, Bayonetta, and then leaves a huge negative review raging about how the KB+M controls suck.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they do suck. I'm sure flipping pancakes with a single chopstick also sucks. There just seems to still be a few of That Guy around who cannot accept that just because a game is on PC, does not mean it MUST be played with mouse+keyboard, and all else is an insult and/or heresy. Fortunately those guys have been a dying breed ever since things like Big Picture Mode and the Steamlink were introduced.

This is not to say that there's anything wrong with playing every game with KB+M if you can and that's what you prefer. You know what I mean.

I did some press for Dungeon Siege 3 back in the day and still have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about how those guys couldn't get past the name (it really shouldn't have been called Dungeon Siege 3) and control scheme and look at the game for what it was instead of what they thought it should have been. I liked it. :colbert:

No, mostly because if the KB+M controls suck I use a controller. :v:

Don't get me wrong, this is entirely subjective and anecdotal I've just never had the kind of issues that comic is showing so every time this comes up it's vaguely baffling to me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orv posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I generally don't have issues either. The last time I really remember getting mad at the controls was in like, AC2 and it was only in the context of one specific foot race and maybe one puzzle tomb. (And AC2 wasn't the smoothest port to begin with, so eh.)

Sab669 posted:

I do use KB+M for virtually everything that isn't a racing game :v:

This but fighting games (not that I play them often). I got worryingly good at Sonic Racing Transformed with KB+M. :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Actually playing Godfall has made me consider picking up my controller.

It's WASD movement and to use an ability you can get you need to hold E+R :staredog: Or hold E+C, according to the wikia, for another ability but I think I rebound whatever C is to either Alt or Spacebar maybe? Either way it's definitely got some unusual key combos that felt like they don't play a lot of PC games when they designed the default bindings.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Imagined posted:

I'm the guy who plays Bayonetta on KB+M and has a lovely time because it plays perfectly well. :colbert:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mordja posted:

I'm the guy who plays Bayonetta on KB+M and has a lovely time because it plays perfectly well. :colbert:

The funny thing is I struggled to think of an example because I knew no matter what game I picked someone would say this. :lol:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I would have been that guy, except a half-decent controller costs like 40 bucks and lasts forever so long as I don't hulk out on it. It's not a high price to pay to play a bunch of games with their intended control scheme.

e: dark souls is... special with m+k. People have gotten good at it, but it's not something I would recommend to anybody.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Imagined posted:

The funny thing is I struggled to think of an example because I knew no matter what game I picked someone would say this. :lol:

Should've picked Beat Sabre :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Actually playing Godfall has made me consider picking up my controller.

It's WASD movement and to use an ability you can get you need to hold E+R :staredog: Or hold E+C, according to the wikia, for another ability but I think I rebound whatever C is to either Alt or Spacebar maybe? Either way it's definitely got some unusual key combos that felt like they don't play a lot of PC games when they designed the default bindings.

What on earth

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I swear, this comic is giving me flashbacks. That kind of thing used to happen to me so often whenever I played any kind of Asscreed game...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I play the Batman and by extension Shadow of Mordor/War games on KBM specifically because that means I don't have to gently caress around with button combinations. Stuff that is multiple buttons on a gamepad can be bound to a single keypress natively in those games. The combat is lock-on combat anyway - there's no need to be more precise directionally than WASD and speeds are functionally binary - you are either sneaking or you're not, and sneaking is a button hold not a sensitivity bind.

Shadow of Mordor did the AssCreed movement system better than any other game, with way less false jumps and stuff because they had explicitly made "downward actions" and "upwards actions" their own modifiers. Shadow of War, in keeping with the general theme of that game, was way more janky and loose. That game had huge issues with movement.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 6, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Really don't like Darksiders 3. I liked the first two fine but they've just gone from a shoddy Zelda-clone, to shoddy action RPG, to now shoddy Souls-clone and it will surprise nobody that a shoddy Souls-clone is an absolute pain to play in a way that Zelda-likes and ARPGs aren't. After about my 4th crash to desktop in 8 hours of game time I just decided to drop it.

I've actually never played the Souls games. But I understand you die in just a few hits and you're supposed to learn to dodge/block/parry everything. Is it normal for those kinds of games to have enemies be completely off camera and then hit and kill you? Because that's what Darksiders 3 is. The camera is pulled up so close that half my deaths were from things that I couldn't see at all. Never had any crashes though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

bamhand posted:

I've actually never played the Souls games. But I understand you die in just a few hits and you're supposed to learn to dodge/block/parry everything. Is it normal for those kinds of games to have enemies be completely off camera and then hit and kill you? Because that's what Darksiders 3 is. The camera is pulled up so close that half my deaths were from things that I couldn't see at all. Never had any crashes though.
In a well-designed Soulslike, that kind of thing only very rarely happens, largely because you die so quickly. Soulslikes have a bit of a fixation on fairness - because they have a reputation for being so difficult, they usually make a point of never putting you in a situation where dying feels like it wasn't in some way your fault or that there wasn't something you couldn't have done better.

The occasional exception is the rare puzzle section, like a certain spot full of archers in Dark Souls 1, which is mostly about figuring out how to pass a narrow bridge without getting knocked off.

Orv
May 4, 2011

bamhand posted:

Not remotely to the extent that it is an issue with Darksiders 3, no. Much as I enjoyed that game the camera was very, very bad.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There isn’t much in the way of offscreen kills in a decent souls-like but there are a lot of gotchas that will kill a new player. It’s always pretty obvious what happened though and the point is to teach the player how to avoid a similiar death on the next try.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My main gripes were that I'm fighting 6 guys and I can only see 2 of them at a time. I quit the game out of frustration about 2/3 of the way through I think.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bamhand posted:

My main gripes were that I'm fighting 6 guys and I can only see 2 of them at a time. I quit the game out of frustration about 2/3 of the way through I think.

fighting more than 1 guy in a souls game is usually a very big deal, to the point where kiting enemy AI comes second nature to series veterans

darksiders 3 is one of the bargain-bin knockoffs that takes the aesthetics of souls but without the mechanical consistency

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's definitely not how the average Soulslike works. If you're ever fighting six guys at a time in Souls game, you typically screwed up in some way and bumbled into a group so big that you're expected to die from it, because you have only fairly limited ways to handle crowds more or less by design.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
There are a couple 'GOTCHA motherfucker, get down in that bottomless pit' moments with ambushed enemies in Fallen Order but honestly it's hilarious and I like it.
I also love those huge kicking skeletons in DS1 but just when it's not me who's playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"You don't fight multiple guys in Souls games" has always been a lie. No I'm not bitter about people being wrong about Dark Souls 2 why.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I play Bayonetta with the Donkey Kong Bongos. :colbert:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ok yeah, it definitely seems like they just took Souls mechanics and applied it to a completely different type of game without considering the effects. Almost all the fights were against multiple enemies in an enclosed environment where you can't kite. But you still die in 2-3 hits.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The two things that made me bounce off wrt to Dark Souls are:

- I can't stand being lost in games when there IS a definite way you should go, e.g. it's not 'Breath of the Wild' or 'Skyrim' where it's a totally open world. If there's boss 1 and boss 2 and then boss 3 and I'm always going to hit them in that order then don't make me feel lost in between. I just couldn't stand the claustrophobic, deja vu feeling of the first Dark Souls game where you don't know where to go, and you're almost certain you've already gone through this bit before, or did you? I both understand why they made that deliberate design decision to evoke that feeling and that it's probably not as complicated as I felt, but I didn't enjoy that aspect personally. Sekiro looked much more my speed in its obvious linearity.

- Just another personal preference: I'm probably not describing this correctly, but I don't enjoy action games where you can't just spam buttons but have to actually carefully pay attention to the animation and timing. I also bounced off of Dragon's Dogma for the same reason. Monster Hunter World is about the most of that style I could take, and even there I only enjoy one weapon set (lance) that feels like requires the least of that. I'd much rather have the Platinum Games or Devil May Cry or old-school God of War style where you could just faceroll on the controller and still feel like a badass, even if being more considerate is more effective. I know that considered, careful weightiness of your movements is precisely what a lot of people find so satisfying about the Soulsborne games, but I haven't found a game where it felt good for me yet.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 6, 2021

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Orv posted:

"You don't fight multiple guys in Souls games" has always been a lie. No I'm not bitter about people being wrong about Dark Souls 2 why.

DS2 was a special pile of horseshit, though. Embarrassing encounter and enemy design from start to finish.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Quill posted:

DS2 was a special pile of horseshit, though. Embarrassing encounter and enemy design from start to finish.

whoa, calm down there with your hot take.

I was under the impression that it does weird/interesting things and doesn't have the near perfect world design that DS1 does.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DS2's world is, what if you were in a village, and then you went up some stairs and you were suddenly underground, and then you go up an elevator and you're in a volcano, and then you go through a door and you're in front of a castle, and you go down an elevator and there's another village with a skybox

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's not that hot of a take. The overall tendency of DS2 to just swamp you in groups of connected enemies or dump silly ambushes on your head is one of the more commonly criticized things about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Quill posted:

:hmmno:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not that hot of a take. The overall tendency of DS2 to just swamp you in groups of connected enemies or dump silly ambushes on your head is one of the more commonly criticized things about it.

I like DS2 (only ever played SotS) but the Iron Keep Clown Car can go gently caress itself

Well the knights start coming and they don't stop coming

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that said DS2 is the only from souls game i've beaten. i've started DS3 over like 6-7 times trying to find a character build i'm comfortable with and have yet to find one. and that's on top of how annoying that first major area is (not the prologue) and how long it takes to get to the boss even after unlocking that elevator

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was under the impression that it does weird/interesting things and doesn't have the near perfect world design that DS1 does.
Yeah, it's the oddball of the series. They threw in a lot of experimental ideas - most of which didn't pan out - and didn't really bother polishing the world or gameplay. Then they released a definitive edition that made some changes for the better and a bunch of changes for the worse.

Still a decent game, mind you; being the weakest Souls isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Veib posted:

I like DS2 (only ever played SotS) but the Iron Keep Clown Car can go gently caress itself

Well the knights start coming and they don't stop coming

Scholar specifically made this area real dumb for some reason and it’s not bad in the original version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't played DS2 since before Scholar came out, but I've heard it did that to a lot of areas.