Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe this is a question for Egbert Souse, but is there a technical reason why it wouldn't be feasible to do 4k restorations of Harryhausen films and release them on UHD? Like, maybe something about the opticals used to shoot his creature effects or something along those lines?

I was watching Clash of the Titans this weekend and it struck me that I really would love some Harryhausen on UHD.

Sony already did some 4K restorations - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, First Men on the Moon, and The 3 Worlds of Gulliver. I only have 7th Voyage on Blu via the Indicator edition and while it looks fantastic in 1080p, I'm unsure if UHD would do any favors. HDR would definitely be great on them for the color, though. In my opinion, 1080p is perfectly fine for the films, especially if they're all fresh remasters besides the ones Sony already did.

Then again, I just watched the Rear Window UHD and was pretty floored by how great it looked, including the rough-looking opticals and occasional dupe shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe this is a question for Egbert Souse, but is there a technical reason why it wouldn't be feasible to do 4k restorations of Harryhausen films and release them on UHD? Like, maybe something about the opticals used to shoot his creature effects or something along those lines?

I was watching Clash of the Titans this weekend and it struck me that I really would love some Harryhausen on UHD.

You can always do a 4k restoration/scan of film elements. The main issue with something like a Harryhausen film is how many generations down the line of the photochemical process the element you're scanning is and whether it was kept well in the vault. For the most part, the effects shots will be pretty grainy and have increased contrast/crushed blacks since they'd be several generations away. You can clean up the grain and the dirt only so much then you might get into issues of losing detail from being overly aggressive with noise reduction. I think they'd look pretty good if you're willing to accept the trade off of having increased grain and contrast.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think I'd be willing to accept the trade offs especially because of how much of a boost the films would get with HDR.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/GeekGab_/status/1346149258542551040?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gripweed posted:

SRS Cinema claim to have shipped my copy of Howl From Beyond The Fog on November 15th and USPS says it's still in pre-shipment. This is so hosed up.

The USPS mail service has been hosed so bad ... I had something that shipped in Oct, and only got it YESTERDAY.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Welp, I’ll be interested to see how this looks. What’s the remaining Kubrick’s that haven’t gone UHD? Barry Lyndon, Lolita, and Eyes Wide Shut?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Welp, I’ll be interested to see how this looks. What’s the remaining Kubrick’s that haven’t gone UHD? Barry Lyndon, Lolita, and Eyes Wide Shut?

And The Killing.

I've only seen Clockwork Orange on the blu ray that I have, so I'm not sure if it's an issue just with this particular blu ray, but it always felt a bit soft and washed out to me. I wonder if that will be improved on with the UHD or if that's just part of the intended look of the film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also Fear and Desire, Killer's Kiss, The Killing, Paths of Glory.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The USPS mail service has been hosed so bad ... I had something that shipped in Oct, and only got it YESTERDAY.

All the mail carriers have had delays for me this season so it's not just the usps. International shipping is exceptionally hosed right now as well. I've had two packages at customs check points for about a month.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Thanks a lot, Obama.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do not like A Clockwork Orange :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In my work we have a lot of dealings with the Social Security Administration. It involves filing a lot of paperwork, with a federal agency that still depends primarily on fax and mail, and of course there are deadlines. Also the local offices are closed to the public due to the pandemic so if you wanted to literally hand deliver something it's not possible.

It's a complete disaster. You basically have to allow for a full 30 days for something to be delivered via USPS.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I do not like A Clockwork Orange :shrug:

I do, but I certainly don't want to ever see it again.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

its been long enough since I've seen a Clockwork Orange that I am very interested in a UHD to view it again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Ten came out in 2011, how is it only available on DVD and VHS

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

If you mean the movie with the people from The State/Wet Hot American Summer it's probably because the movie flew very far under the radar. I've also heard that it's not that funny. Plus it's older than 2011. Tapes were definitely not still being produced in 2011 unless it was some kind of niche novelty release like House of the Devil or some poo poo sold by Mondo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

If you mean the movie with the people from The State/Wet Hot American Summer it's probably because the movie flew very far under the radar. I've also heard that it's not that funny. Plus it's older than 2011. Tapes were definitely not still being produced in 2011 unless it was some kind of niche novelty release like House of the Devil or some poo poo sold by Mondo.

Oh that's weird, Amazon listed it as 2011. I guess that's the DVD printing. But still, 2007 seems pretty late for a VHS and no bluray.

Also, of course that's the movie I mean. And you heard wrong.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Oh that's weird, Amazon listed it as 2011. I guess that's the DVD printing. But still, 2007 seems pretty late for a VHS and no bluray.

Also, of course that's the movie I mean. And you heard wrong.

I did want to see it in ye olden times but it wasn't playing around here and then I forgot it existed.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Gripweed posted:

There's a Region B version for sale on Amazon. There's also an HD-DVD!

EDIT: I just bought the HD-DVD though, so sorry if you wanted that.

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 6, 2021

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Gripweed posted:

Wasn't the last movie released on VHS A History of Violence?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I worked at a Blockbuster in like 2007 and people were continually very upset that the store wasn't stocking new VHS and only had very limited ones left (mostly in the children's section).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Ten didn’t just get a Blu-ray release, it had a HDDVD one too.

Not the best Wain production, but I enjoyed it enough.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shiroc posted:

I worked at a Blockbuster in like 2007 and people were continually very upset that the store wasn't stocking new VHS and only had very limited ones left (mostly in the children's section).

I worked for Blockbuster for years, I got to watch that company implode.

Blockbuster is the root cause of my love for owning physical media.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I worked for Blockbuster for years, I got to watch that company implode.

Blockbuster is the root cause of my love for owning physical media.

Wasn't the fall of Blockbuster largely because the CEO scoffed at the idea that people would want to rent movies through the mail so he just ignored that as a threat?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Wasn't the fall of Blockbuster largely because the CEO scoffed at the idea that people would want to rent movies through the mail so he just ignored that as a threat?

Pretty much. But in the end streaming would've killed them anyway, Netflix turned out to just be the start of it.

In the end they tried all sorts of poo poo to try to reproduce the Netflix model. First it was "NO LATE FEES", which turned out to be a PR disaster because all they did was change the usual late fees to "restocking fees" and then charged you full retail price for the movie if you didn't return it in time. After that they tried a subscription model where you could have X number of movies rented at a time, like Netflix. That was a bit more popular but of course, it couldn't compete with a service that had ten times the movie selection and mailed the movies right to your house.

At the very very end rentals became secondary to regular sales, they became basically just a regular store where you could go in and buy movies.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CPL593H posted:

Well, he also turned down the chance to buy Netflix in 2000 in its entirety for $50 million USD. You know, the company now with a $223 BILLION market cap.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kvantum posted:

Well, he also turned down the chance to buy Netflix in 2000 in its entirety for $50 million USD. You know, the company now with a $223 BILLION market cap.

If Blockbuster bought Netflix in 2000, it never would have even launched a streaming service.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvantum posted:

I'm confident that had they actually bought Netflix they'd have hosed it up before it ever became the juggernaut it is now. I worked at Blockbuster for like 3 years and during that time they could never stick with an idea for more than 6 months. The corporate policy was totally schizophrenic. I felt bad for my various store managers who never seemed to be able to hold onto their jobs due to the constantly changing goals and standards.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kvantum posted:

Wouldn't have done blockbuster any good. "Stream longform content via broadband" was an idea that was very much in the air at the time. Netflix's position in the market, being an existing service with a high subscriber count that just tacked streaming on for free as a value-add, helped get the ball rolling but some service was going to get traction eventually. Buying Netflix would have just meant some other outfit became the Netflix. Unless, of course, Blockbuster let Netflix execute their streaming plan and let it play out. I doubt they would have.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kvantum posted:

He also turned down the opportunity to buy Redbox (and then came up with a competing service when he realized he’d goofed).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

He also turned down the opportunity to buy Redbox (and then came up with a competing service when he realized he’d goofed).

That really was the model for their repeated failures. Ignore a trend until it becomes embarrassing, then make a feeble attempt at recreating the trend with some sort of half-assed new Blockbuster program that is missing at least one crucial feature of the thing that you're trying to imitate.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part is still the streaming service they launched which you could only get if you had Dish Network.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maxwell Lord posted:

My favorite part is still the streaming service they launched which you could only get if you had Dish Network.

Part of that was because Dish owned Blockbuster.

That’s also why every blockbuster store had a Dish kiosk and employees would try to convince people to sign up for Dish.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I remember seeing one and only one of those ever. I don't even think it made it a year.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Blockbuster did eventually have 'Blockbuster Online' which was a by mail DVD service like original Netflix. Part of the idea was that the stores would make it easier to return movies and there were in store bonuses.

I thought Blockbuster was officially dead (minus the slowly disappearing franchise stores) before Netflix the streaming service really became a thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I always found Blockbuster to be disappointing. I guess it was great if you were looking for new releases, but anything more than a few years old or out of the mainstream was always lacking.

If I wanted variety, I was better off hopping across the street to Hollywood video

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hollywood Video was great because you could get their unlimited monthly rental plan for peanuts and they wouldn’t even bat an eye when you’d rent 20 movies at a time and return them for 20 more the next day. I definitely did not have multiple binders full of lovely dvd rips in high school thanks to that.

They also had frequent dirt cheap used DVD sales, which is where a lot of my early library came from.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Shiroc posted:

Blockbuster did eventually have 'Blockbuster Online' which was a by mail DVD service like original Netflix. Part of the idea was that the stores would make it easier to return movies and there were in store bonuses.

Yep, they did. I was subscribed to it for a while. You could return the disc to a physical store too and get something else for free. A decent idea, but unfortunately their pricing and selection still sucked compared to Netflix.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I once unintentionally referred to the Matthew Broderick/Reese Witherspoon movie, Election, as "Erection" to the cute girl behind the counter at Hollywood Video :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Iron Crowned posted:

I always found Blockbuster to be disappointing. I guess it was great if you were looking for new releases, but anything more than a few years old or out of the mainstream was always lacking.

If I wanted variety, I was better off hopping across the street to Hollywood video

Hastings was the best video rental chain imo.