Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

ADINSX posted:

I totally forgot about sandbags. I used to go to a crossfit gym and we did various things with bags, toss them over our shoulder, shoulder presses, etc

yeah they are pretty fun, the nice ones cost a lot, but I've had good luck so far with just a really thick contractor garbage bag as a liner and a cheap duffle bag. The handles will rip if they don't loop all the way around though, but for squats and stuff it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

crying about my grip strength losses

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I cancelled my gym membership cause they kept billing through quarantine.

I did 5x5 til my squat was 1.5x body weight and dead was 2x. I honestly miss those so much.

I have lost a ton of weight and muscle such that clothes are loose now, but underneath im just kinda skinny fat now.

I take the stairs when entering and leaving my building for weekly groceries and thats about as much exercise as I get.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Before the pandemic I went through a medical weight loss program and lost close to 100 lbs. Then eventually I got sick of staying inside and barely doing anything and started walking. I eventually got up to 6 miles, but my knees started killing me (being in my mid 50s and then going up and down the hills in San Francisco will do that). I slowed down on the walking but then finally was able to get Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch and gat drat I love this game. I started at doing 15 minutes a day to almost 2 hours when I was really motivated. For something you would think is simple it really keeps me going with the diversity of exercises and can be a lot more difficult than I expected.

edit: I use an apple watch to keep track of everything as well and recently I signed up for Apple Fitness + and am going to get on that for some more diversity as well.

i wanted to grab that game early in the pandemic but it was way too expensive. your post reminded me of it so i looked and it's half the price it was now! so i ordered it. i have been unable to motivate myself to actually leave and go on walks in the rain and dark so i need something to do in my small apartment, hopefully the flashing lights and tight cartoon pants can keep me interested

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I signed up at my old favorite gym to get back in shape... in early March. owned

I had my own weightlifting setup but gave it to a friend that was having a way harder time with the isolation.

Nowadays I try to chop at least a little bit of firewood for next winter and good lord is it a workout. Nothing relieves stress quite like obliterating something with a sharp metal object.

How have y'all been keeping up with good dietary habits? That's the main thing keeping me from improvement these days.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

PokeJoe posted:

i wanted to grab that game early in the pandemic but it was way too expensive. your post reminded me of it so i looked and it's half the price it was now! so i ordered it. i have been unable to motivate myself to actually leave and go on walks in the rain and dark so i need something to do in my small apartment, hopefully the flashing lights and tight cartoon pants can keep me interested

It's been great especially for my adhd brain. I think you'll dig it a lot. :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

plan your meals. make a dinner menu a week or two at a time and buy all the poo poo for it, then the stuff in your house taking up space will force you to cook it. at least that's what works for me

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's been great especially for my adhd brain. I think you'll dig it a lot. :)

awesome, sounds perfect. I'll report back how I like it after I get into it a bit.

grabbed some fitness bands too because they're about as much for a set as the baby dumbbells I have so I can flail around on the floor like a technicolor mummy

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 4, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

hopefully the flashing lights and tight cartoon pants can keep me interested

the main antagonist is a giant demon in a spandex leotard that attacks by flexing at you. it’s great.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Fortaleza posted:

How have y'all been keeping up with good dietary habits? That's the main thing keeping me from improvement these days.

I've been keeping a running total of calories throughout the day for about 6 months now. I used to do detailed journaling but I've found that I tend to settle into a reasonable balance of macros if I just know how much I have left to eat for the rest of the day at any given time. I also keep track of my estimated caloric requirements and the "tracking error" of what I "should" weigh vs what I actually weigh. It's very noisy day-to-day so having a long term running average has made it much easier to see the measurable consequences of my diet.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

I'm part of the calorie count gang but I have a very autistic brain that needs to plot out spreadsheets for everything.

The big killer for me in the past has been snacking and i've somewhat solved that problem by stopping myself from buying costco sized bags of junk food. If I want some junk food i'll buy a very small 1-2 serving bag from the store. I mostly get fruits/vegetables for snacks, cut them up into single portion sized servings, and put them in the front of the fridge so it's the first thing I see if I ever go looking for a snack.

Not to say that I completely have gotten rid of all junky food. I have a bunch of chocolate for when i'm in the mood for something sweet :v:.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Just finished virtual boxing workout. ~970 calories according to the heart tracker. I'm getting pretty burned out on remote stuff but I finally pulled the trigger on a heavy bag I can set up in my basement, so that'll be an experience. It doesn't help that the evening instructor has a nasty habit of picking 4 combos and spending most of the class going over variations of that, I just wanna hit stuff and get my heart moving I don't want to do anything tedious.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
best boxing gym in seattle is amc pankration in kirkland. matt hume's gym. if the punching action didn't give me tendonitis i'd definitely still be there.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

my partner wants to buy yoga mat and do some exercises in home so I gonna do it with her then, I can never stick to routine but if I just do it with her it might work

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

do yoga with your partner. it’s a cute and fun bonding activity

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Also yoga helps your core out, which is nice when you're carrying a computer toucher belly :v:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also you don't need motivation to exercise if you have motivation to hang out with someone and they have motivation to exercise

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It sounds codependent but it's actually just being social

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like myfitnesspal for calorie tracking. it has an impressively comprehensive database of food - much improved from when i first used it 9 years ago - and it integrates with apple health which is nice.

before lockdown in march I was cycling to/from the office - 20kms each way with a 200m climb at the end on the way home, and was feeling pretty good. but since then it slacked off and now I have put on 10 kilos so have decided to just start cycling every morning for the sake of it as opposed to commuting. i don’t want to go back to regular office attendance even though we can now

I was gonna buy some dumbbells and a weight bench but ring fit adventure sounds interesting. i might give that a shot first (yes i know it’s not remotely the same type of training but i’m not remotely fit so anything i can stick with is a huge improvement)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I might honestly buy a switch just to play this fitness ring game, I wanna outflex that dragon

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gentle Autist posted:

i like myfitnesspal for calorie tracking. it has an impressively comprehensive database of food - much improved from when i first used it 9 years ago - and it integrates with apple health which is nice.

before lockdown in march I was cycling to/from the office - 20kms each way with a 200m climb at the end on the way home, and was feeling pretty good. but since then it slacked off and now I have put on 10 kilos so have decided to just start cycling every morning for the sake of it as opposed to commuting. i don’t want to go back to regular office attendance even though we can now

I was gonna buy some dumbbells and a weight bench but ring fit adventure sounds interesting. i might give that a shot first (yes i know it’s not remotely the same type of training but i’m not remotely fit so anything i can stick with is a huge improvement)

myfitnesspal was great before the urban armour acquisition then it went severely downhill.

personally i like cronometer which doesn't allow the public to update the db directly; instead they pull from government sources and update it manually by having consumers send them pictures of the nutritional labels for a product; as such it's way more accurate i find

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
yoga at home is the poo poo. There's a ton of youtube channels that do daily routines from beginner to advanced with varying workout lengths. Very easy to get into with minimal equipment.

I got a new Coros Pace 2 watch for running and hiking, and it's pretty sweet. Doesn't take 10-15 minutes to acquire gps like my Garmin Forerunner 35 did, plus hr, elevation and better workout customization.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I need to do some god damned yoga

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

want to pick it up too, but was kind of hoping to be able to do so with some professional guidance. i have the combo of being pretty out of shape but not that inflexible, so i wanted to get a baseline with someone there to tell me if i'm building towards breaking my back or something.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

the general thing with doing fitness is not doing everything at once. people usually get overwhelmed by trying to do everything at the same time and fail.

good eating habits will eventually get you to exercising, and exercising will get you to good eating habits

cooking for yourself is the easiest way to control what you're eating

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants is solid dietary advice unless you're training for marathon or real powerlifting or trying to be in a marvel movie

also don't leave snacks or alcohol or general stuff around, limit that with what you have now and don't buy too much of it, you can't snack/get turnt on what you don't have

better snacks that are lighter in their place is what you should be doing if you need the snack

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 6, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Share Bear posted:

the general thing with doing fitness is not doing everything at once. people usually get overwhelmed by trying to do everything at the same time and fail.

good eating habits will eventually get you to exercising, and exercising will get you to good eating habits

cooking for yourself is the easiest way to control what you're eating

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants is solid dietary advice unless you're training for marathon or real powerlifting or trying to be in a marvel movie

also don't leave snacks or alcohol or general stuff around, limit that with what you have now and don't buy too much of it, you can't snack/get turnt on what you don't have

better snacks that are lighter in their place is what you should be doing if you need the snack

yeah I did really well with replacing my snacks slowly. if you just cold turkey a bunch of foods and then also throw yourself into a new fitness routine you're going to loving hate yourself. by swapping out like ice cream for greek yogurt, or pretzels or rice cakes for chips. you can add stuff like granola or peanut butter or berries very easily. i also don't really drink beer these days. I do mostly tequila and rum with light mixers like seltzers, but less beer is less calories in and that's a big one.

i hate the concept of cheat meals though. you don't have to deprive yourself of chicken nuggets if thats what you want. one slice of cheesecake when you're out is fine, but don't buy trash foods at the grocery store so they're not just in your house staring at you. when i cook i like to think of meals i have out, and figure out lazy ways to get there. so like chicken nuggets and fries turns pretty easily into frying or baking some chicken thighs (cheap and great) or chicken breasts and i quarter some potatoes and roast. while thats going in the oven you can sautee up some spinach or peppers or whatever. just get a couple frozen bags of veggies to keep in your fridge and just throw them into whatever you're cooking.

when you cook you should be trying to make sure you have protein, vegetables, and carbs. everybody has a different idea of what those ratios should be but at the very least you should be trying to figure out how to incorporate all 3 into your major meals. proteins aren't always meat, there's a ton of great options like all the crazy vegan replacement poo poo, or chickpeas, or tofu. actually a lot of the vegan replacement stuff is pretty good, and while not healthier, can kind of help people transition to being more vegetable minded.

if you extremely don't want to give a poo poo, get an instant pot. you can cook full rear end meals in 30 minutes without doing much of anything. i think they're the devil, but everybody else loves them and it seems like a really easy entry point into cooking more complex foods at home

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Casual Encountess posted:

i hate the concept of cheat meals though. you don't have to deprive yourself of chicken nuggets if thats what you want. one slice of cheesecake when you're out is fine, but don't buy trash foods at the grocery store so they're not just in your house staring at you. when i cook i like to think of meals i have out, and figure out lazy ways to get there. so like chicken nuggets and fries turns pretty easily into frying or baking some chicken thighs (cheap and great) or chicken breasts and i quarter some potatoes and roast. while thats going in the oven you can sautee up some spinach or peppers or whatever. just get a couple frozen bags of veggies to keep in your fridge and just throw them into whatever you're cooking.

I'm 50/50 with you on cheat meals a while ago I tried to just "eat clean" and in that kind of a system cheat meals are basically poison, because you will always just make an excuse to do an extra one.

However nowadays I do stricter macro and calorie counting, which means I can only eat stuff where I know exactly what's in it, so I basically can never eat from restaurants. If you have a framework like that having a scheduled break where you can eat random stuff is pretty good. It's also nice to not have to keep track of all the weights of the ingredients and just fix stuff up.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also I forgot to mention to anyone thinking about picking up Ring Fit Adventure for the Switch to also get a yoga mat - you'll be doing a bit of floor work as well in the game and it's a good idea to have some padding.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
please work out its good for you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

barkbell posted:

please work out its good for you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

don't stress about it too much, it should be enjoyable. find what you like and go do it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i've skipped a couple of workouts this week but today i'm going skiing :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anyone have a workout tracking app that won't leak my location info to moldovan teenagers or sell it to my health insurer? ios or web is fine

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

qirex posted:

anyone have a workout tracking app that won't leak my location info to moldovan teenagers or sell it to my health insurer? ios or web is fine

onlyfans.com

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

The combo of Apple Watch and Fitness app on the iphone are pretty great, but I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have too many watches to commit to an Apple Watch unless I double-wrist it which is probably the worst look. I don’t get why the fitness app is watch-connected

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What are you looking for in an app? I had the same issue with apps so just created a spreadsheet to help me keep track of things. A lot of the more hardcore guys at the gym were just using a notebook. So it might be worth doing things manually.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

I have too many watches to commit to an Apple Watch unless I double-wrist it which is probably the worst look. I don’t get why the fitness app is watch-connected

It reads your heart rate as you are exercising.

edit: here’s my screenshot from the other day. I use this and the Lose It! app to keep track of food.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 7, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It reads your heart rate as you are exercising.
yeah but even the journaling and the "I'm going for a walk" parts are linked to the watch it's dumb

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What are you looking for in an app? I had the same issue with apps so just created a spreadsheet to help me keep track of things. A lot of the more hardcore guys at the gym were just using a notebook. So it might be worth doing things manually.

I want more of a journaling thing, I've been through all the various permutations of paper notebook, spreadsheet, app, yosapp [gar's lifting tracker], etc. the thing is I'm doing a lot of different activities and not at a gym so it would be nice to be able to track trends or remind myself to do certain things

I might just use a journaling app, seems like the closest thing and I don't think they bother data mining the contents

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

pandemic weight gain is real

https://twitter.com/koshin0919/status/1347127010108211202?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

went for a ~3 mile jog in the freezing rain because its Seattle and that's what you do and now is a relatively nice sunny afternoon :rant: