Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

LifeSunDeath posted:

enough fridge talk, let's talk audiophiles:

Finally i can listen to josh groban how it was meant to be heard

Edit: a most shameful snipe :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Wonder how the fart acoustics in that room are.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Can someone please explain what those giant worm rear end looking cables are supposed to be

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Can someone please explain what those giant worm rear end looking cables are supposed to be

They're a method for separating fools from their money

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

i must compose posted:

AUG: Wonder how the fart acoustics are

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

i must compose posted:

A little flat

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GelatinSkeleton posted:

They’re clearly Monster cables

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

I wonder what this mysterious cage (which isn't plugged into anything) does?

If my father's Dynakit 70 amp is any indication, that is supposed to be sitting over the tubes in the amp in front of it. I gather he removed it so that we may admire the elegant beauty of blinkie electric valves.

We had a cat that sprayed on the Dynakit. The next time he fired it up, the smell was heinous.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

PainterofCrap posted:

We had a cat that sprayed on the Dynakit. The next time he fired it up, the smell was heinous.

I had a cat that pissed on my Wii.

I couldn't even be mad about it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Iron Crowned posted:

I love that the shielding on a two wire connection isn't attached to anything, and tapers down, essentially rendering it cosmetic at best.

Probably weighs 20 lbs too.

audiophiles are like qanon of the music world, their logic is confounding.
http://audiophile.rocks/technology.html

quote:

The Crystal Formula has been fine-tuned by ear into 0.01 gram accuracy and is very sensitive to external contamination, therefore we have tightly pressed and vacuum sealed it inside all products we build.

...greatest layering and 3 dimensionality in the music.

We use an ultrasonic wave machine with proprietary liquids to alter the properties of the piezoelectric quartz crystals.

We improved on this with the Dolphin Crystal Formula, however, it wasn't optimal for amplifiers. Year 2014 we released the successful Unreal Crystal Formula which was optimal for all components in the audio system.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can I get the make/model number of that?

It's this one...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elec...3796S/300979429

Last time I went to Home Despot I noticed LG updated them a little. Still pretty much the same aside from the ice/water dispenser and button panel looking a little different.

Hirayuki posted:

Isn't it way out past your counter, though? That's not counter-depth, unless you have nonstandardly shallow counters and cupboards.

I suppose it's not technically counter depth in my kitchen. Those cabinets are indeed very shallow. The counter is only about 14" deep. It's perfect size for the wall it's against though.

gleebster posted:

Close that door! What're you trying to do, heat the whole outdoors?

I pay the bills and I'll leave the leave the door cracked if I dam well please! :arghfist::mad:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LifeSunDeath posted:

audiophiles are like qanon of the music world, their logic is confounding.
http://audiophile.rocks/technology.html

Jesus, I'm embarrassed just from reading that.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

LifeSunDeath posted:

enough fridge talk, let's talk audiophiles:

why is your cursor lime green

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

As a trained audio engineer, here's what I don't get about audiophiles; everything.

No, but seriously, what is it that they're expecting to get out of getting the most "pristine" audio signal? Especially when the given signal very likely wasn't even recorded at that level in the first place?!

I remember in my recording arts program, we did mic comparisons; two mics, one source, and we'd A/B them, and discuss the differences. Really informative. We once did the extreme and compared a Schoeps mic (I forget which one) to the SM58, and obviously you could hear the differences like night and day. Not to bash the SM58, it certainly has its purpose.

But then we compared the same Schoeps mic to an AKG414, and the differences were negligible. The price wasn't, though. And even though I'm there, learning about how to get the best signal possible when recording, a process I understand and respect, I remember thinking "there's literally no practical reason for me to ever shell out way more money for a barely-perceivable difference." I'd use the Schoeps if it was there as an option, but I wouldn't necessarily buy one over something similar, and cheaper.

Anyway, audiophiles drive me nuts.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jan 6, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Do audiophiles care much about where the sound comes from, as in: is all their music in 320kbps .flac? I assume there are internet forums full of tedious nerds who argue that "no, you haven't experienced Genesis until you've heard it on vinyl".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Peanut Butter posted:

why is your cursor lime green

easy to spot across monitors. you never mod your cursor?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bony tony posted:

Do audiophiles care much about where the sound comes from, as in: is all their music in 320kbps .flac? I assume there are internet forums full of tedious nerds who argue that "no, you haven't experienced Genesis until you've heard it on vinyl".

The only format I can accept as authentic listening is .pono played on a genuine Ponoplayer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bony tony posted:

Ohh, boy, 320kbps .flac files are barely scratching the surface of what they deem to be good quality.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
One of the things that absolutely kills me about audiophiles is this:

So here is a quote from a review for a power cable on that website:

quote:

I became paralyzed, sort of a dream paralysis perhaps, unable to move even after the CD ended. The sound was so expansive, there were no walls, every instrument and voice could be clearly followed while at the same time the entire blend of sound was unified into a single flow of music. Even at 90db + volume with a rock beat, the music was so relaxing that I was immediately placed into a trance, unaware of my body or the room around me, just pulled along by the music.
It's very common for audiophiles to talk about high-quality setups as producing music that is almost spiritual. This guy claims to be paralyzed from how good the CD sounds. But like, a hypothetically perfect audiophile setup is just going to be perfectly reproducing live music. Like, I'm not going to lie, I would much rather go see a symphony performed live than listen to it on my nicest audio setup, but at the same time you don't see people convulsing in their seats because the music sounds so high quality.

It is just so baffling to me that these people spend so much money and think it's this unparalleled experience, but they're not actually aiming for something we don't already experience regularly—just regular natural sounds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That too, absolutely.

I mean, I've experienced a euphoric, dreamlike state in the past from music, but it wasn't because of the loving bit depth or sample rate.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Phthisis posted:

One of the things that absolutely kills me about audiophiles is this:

So here is a quote from a review for a power cable on that website:

It's very common for audiophiles to talk about high-quality setups as producing music that is almost spiritual. This guy claims to be paralyzed from how good the CD sounds. But like, a hypothetically perfect audiophile setup is just going to be perfectly reproducing live music. Like, I'm not going to lie, I would much rather go see a symphony performed live than listen to it on my nicest audio setup, but at the same time you don't see people convulsing in their seats because the music sounds so high quality.

It is just so baffling to me that these people spend so much money and think it's this unparalleled experience, but they're not actually aiming for something we don't already experience regularly—just regular natural sounds.

it's because it's all placebo effect, and they're crazy af.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
They've stumbled onto the same rewards religions have: community, sunk costs and induced awe.

In the same vein, this is probably the worst example I've come across of audiophile madness. I think it was featured on the f plus many years ago.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Grei Skuring posted:

They've stumbled onto the same rewards religions have: community, sunk costs and induced awe.

In the same vein, this is probably the worst example I've come across of audiophile madness. I think it was featured on the f plus many years ago.

Are they doing a pure scam or are they idiots? A coating that improves sound on a CD? Don't they realize that data CDs could not exist if some "nano-scale scattering" altered it.

If they are knowingly scamming audiophiles then I'm all for it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ohh, boy, 320kbps .flac files are barely scratching the surface of what they deem to be good quality.

"Lossless!"

bony tony posted:

Tinnitus cures all of this.

Time the avenger.

(e: Tales of Mystery and Imagination (at least side 1) sounds great with good headphones irrespective of format (except super-compressed mp3)

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jan 6, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I remember someone saying audiophiles listen to steely dan almost exclusively

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

and Alan Parsons

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I've been on these forums the better part of 20-years & never did a quote=edit until November, and this is the third one.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Audiophiles legit use certain Steely Dan tracks to test their equipment. It's bonkers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Audiophiles legit use certain Steely Dan tracks to test their equipment. It's bonkers.

Wow, holy poo poo.

When I worked at IGT as a sound designer and composer back in 2010-2013, we were testing new cabinets and speaker setups. We had a chair with shoulder speakers, speakers underneath the seat, a rumble function all of that stuff. And every time we'd go in to see what the engineers had built, they'd obviously be blasting some music.

No loving joke, it was Kid Charlemagne.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

audiophile.rocks posted:

Price: $200,000 USD (last in stock!)

Only one left in stock!

We cannot build more of this cable because the rare minerals we use in this cable are depleted from planet Earth!

yeah this sounds p. legit, imma order a $200K power cable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The sequels to Avatar will be all about the rare minerals used in bullshit audio cables.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The sequels to Avatar will be all about the rare minerals used in bullshit audio cables.

Audiovatar: The Last Earbender

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

This will always be my favorite trump card against audiophiles: https://gizmodo.com/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger-363154

Also, it's no $200,000 power cord, but the fact that gold plated digital optical audio cables exist is maddening.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Are y'all aware of K-pop PIT culture?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795v0lUlorc
Because it's real.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The lowest rate encoding is good enough for me when downloading music off Youtube. Am I an audiophobe? :crossarms:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

rydiafan posted:

This will always be my favorite trump card against audiophiles: https://gizmodo.com/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger-363154

Also, it's no $200,000 power cord, but the fact that gold plated digital optical audio cables exist is maddening.

From what I've seen, every argument against a hardcore audiophile about the audio quality being the same for any cable ends with the audiophile going, "Well, it sounds better to me, and that's what really matters." There's no winning.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

256 vbps mp3 is all you need, anyone who claims to hear the difference between that and lossless is full of poo poo

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If spending more money helps me enjoy my music more, then who are you to argue?

(i use the money to buy more records, and, once upon a time, concert tickets)

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Grei Skuring posted:

This is an amazing grift.

And here's how the teleporation tweak "works".

Otana has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Jan 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

256 vbps mp3 is all you need, anyone who claims to hear the difference between that and lossless is full of poo poo

You've obviously never used studio quality equipment in any capacity, or you're sorely in need of a hearing exam