Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

When does Yongbi go from the way it starts to fights like this?

Since I'm not sure if the tower of God thread has been archived siu has said that it's going to start again in mid November. He did say he was working at a much reduced capacity while recovering so that if he needed to do so again he could keep the series going without needing to stop chapters coming out

The guy who.writers the gamer has said that's on break for a bit because he's got cirrhosis

Bummer about the Gamer but glad to hear ToG is coming back. ToG has been one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

Still unclear as far as I can tell.

Neither of them are ever really shook about anything, so you kinda suspect they could just take out Gang if they maybe had to, but imo it's hard to say. If they aren't stronger than Gang there's no one else who is either though.

They also have many more years of experience on them so I don't think it's going to purely boil down to power levels, but yeah. if Gang is just the defacto strongest person around now there's not much else that can be done outside of breaking Maksa's mind control

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Brought To You By posted:

They also have many more years of experience on them so I don't think it's going to purely boil down to power levels, but yeah. if Gang is just the defacto strongest person around now there's not much else that can be done outside of breaking Maksa's mind control

After reading the most recent chapter I am feelin pretty good about Goo Hwi teaching the kid a lesson

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

After reading the most recent chapter I am feelin pretty good about Goo Hwi teaching the kid a lesson

Turns out all we need is Yeri to solo all of Maksa's bullshit and set her man's mind back in order. I haven't re-read the series on just a long enough amount of time to forget how scary she is and also how ridiculously powerful a medium she is.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Just checked back in with Love Advice, and yes, it's still very good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is kubera no longer getting official scans?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
...wingdings?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

is kubera no longer getting official scans?

At first I thought they wanted more chapters in backlog to sell to people but there are now 13 special episodes and 6 main ones untranslated so who knows. Scanlations have resumed so either way you can read it.

edit: webtoon app says it'll be back in december.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wingdings.

lijmo
Mar 17, 2014
Hey for anyone who was missing burning effect it has apparently switched to exclusively posting on the leviatan scans website (only found it while checking for other series). Binging the chapters I'd missed was a great start to the new year. Loved seeing everyone back together. Didn't realize how much I missed burner and roy's dynamic until the panel of burner just not caring in the least about roy's transformation. Hope they post the new chapters on mangadex at some point as the series is already fragmented enough as it is.

lijmo fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 1, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, Sweet Home's adaption on Netflix has become a smash hit around the world.

Well deserved in my opinion.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, Sweet Home's adaption on Netflix has become a smash hit around the world.

Well deserved in my opinion.

Oh thanks I didn't even know that existed till now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lijmo posted:

Hey for anyone who was missing burning effect it has apparently switched to exclusively posting on the leviatan scans website (only found it while checking for other series). Binging the chapters I'd missed was a great start to the new year. Loved seeing everyone back together. Didn't realize how much I missed burner and roy's dynamic until the panel of burner just not caring in the least about roy's transformation. Hope they post the new chapters on mangadex at some point as the series is already fragmented enough as it is.

How far are the scans in on? You mentioned Roy's transformation so I guess (double spoiler) the gang (sans Burner) fought the Black Bloods?

lijmo
Mar 17, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

How far are the scans in on? You mentioned Roy's transformation so I guess (double spoiler) the gang (sans Burner) fought the Black Bloods?
Chapter 162 just dropped yesterday Yeah in the last few chapters we had the big fight with the Black Bloods, the chapter where fake-Y attempts to transfer the rest of Y's knowledge, and finally what looks to be the start of an Oren heist with Drian and the gang. So many great chapters. The Y chapter especially hit me hard, it felt almost bittersweet seeing Fake-Y come to some kind of understanding with Y as one incredibly hosed up person to another

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sung Jin-Woo: The International

I like how much exposition this chapter had. Learning many US hunters considering Sung not being unlocked (by the lady) just means he'll just straight up die in Japan is great. Looking forward to the possibility them being saved by the Sung when that gate breaks in the US.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

EVIL Gibson posted:

I like how much exposition this chapter had. Learning many US hunters considering Sung not being unlocked (by the lady) just means he'll just straight up die in Japan is great. Looking forward to the possibility them being saved by the Sung when that gate breaks in the US.

Almost certainty, given the setup.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does the main character of Solo Leveling ever face a challenge beyond the point where he starts building up the summoning abilities? I remember stopping sometime after he got the summon of the guy with the sword and getting strong "this has reached the event horizon where the rest of the comic will just consist of him being cool and owning everyone" vibes that I usually end up inevitably getting from most isekai or "setting where you level up" stories.

The Gamer is kind of similar - it had some early arcs that were interesting before the character passed the "power event horizon."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't really think of anything that had him seem desperate or like he might lose in a while

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, he was kind of desperate in the previous arc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

In the previous Arc he was forbidden from using his summoning

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

That Works posted:

In the previous Arc he was forbidden from using his summoning

he was also expected to just become a new lord wiping away his identity.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

EVIL Gibson posted:

God that sounds horrible.

Single Korean man saves rest of the useless world is exactly why I fell so hard off this webtoon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's funny when its smug Americans imo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well america's gonna have to wait in line because japan is currently continuing its run of being the series punching bag

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

EVIL Gibson posted:

Sung Jin-Woo: The International

Reading that I'm imagining the soldier saying "gam sa ham ni da" in a Japanese accent.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Solo Leveling paperback will be out in English 2/23/21
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/solo-leveling-vol-1-dubu-redice-studio/1137838733

gohmak fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 7, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a super basic power fantasy that is only good because of the art. that's all it ever was. don't expect any big swerves or surprises.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I really enjoyed the early grow process, it's just that after he overtook every living human in existence in Season 1 the story got a lot less interesting and a lot more xenophobic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I mean I really enjoyed the early grow process, it's just that after he overtook every living human in existence in Season 1 the story got a lot less interesting and a lot more xenophobic.

This is the problem with almost all things like this. They usually start with the protagonist being weaker than average and have one or two opening arcs where they either acquire or learn to use whatever their bullshit cheat ability is (or figure out some trick that no one else figured out for some reason). But once they've started to become strong, they quickly shoot up to almost effortlessly winning every conflict they're involved in.

I can't think of many series like this where this isn't the case. Grimgar is the main "protagonist developing in a somewhat game-ish world" that I can think of that stays pretty grounded.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014
Eh, that's almost one of the good points about it. SL gets that the whole shtick is just about watching overpowered characters show off and grow more overpowered, and does everything it can to show that off and nothing else, as some in this thread criticized, rather than attempt to tack on all the other chaff writers tend to do in a bid for legitimacy or to display their chops. It's like knowing when you're making an action movie and not trying to tack on emotional oscar-bait subplots and other jank, but to distill the good bits instead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Liveware posted:

Eh, that's almost one of the good points about it. SL gets that the whole shtick is just about watching overpowered characters show off and grow more overpowered, and does everything it can to show that off and nothing else, as some in this thread criticized, rather than attempt to tack on all the other chaff writers tend to do in a bid for legitimacy or to display their chops. It's like knowing when you're making an action movie and not trying to tack on emotional oscar-bait subplots and other jank, but to distill the good bits instead.

I don't consider adding weird political poo poo that makes everyone but Koreans seem incompetent/bad to be a good bit or something that's not jank.

The only bad Koreans (that I can recall) are the one murderer dude from the agency and the one S-Ranker Korean who left to go overseas cause wow that's such a big betrayal of national pride blah blah blah. Meanwhile the Japanese are portrayed as sneakily trying to undermine poor ol' Korea and then get called out for it face-to-face (and also lose like the majority of their powerhouses because unlike Koreans, Japanese are expendable) and then the Russian S-Ranker is being portrayed as greedy and delusional and over-his-head. Meanwhile the death of one Korean is treated as a super big tragedy cause apparently this dude who shows up and dies was supposed to make an impact on the reader.

That's honestly the biggest reason it just annoys me so much when combined in tandem with the overpowered / growing stronger thing. If it didn't have that, I could probably feel less bad about the series as a whole, but because it chooses to incorporate hackneyed politics with a good ol' dollop of Korean inferiority complex kicking it, it comes off as trashy and poo poo to me.

That said, I don't think it's wrong to like it or enjoy it or whatever, cause god knows I love reading stuff that other people think is poo poo, and I can get the appeal of the series for people who don't get all weird about political representation in this and just want to read a story where a strong dude murder things good.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

I don't consider adding weird political poo poo that makes everyone but Koreans seem incompetent/bad to be a good bit or something that's not jank.

The only bad Koreans (that I can recall) are the one murderer dude from the agency and the one S-Ranker Korean who left to go overseas cause wow that's such a big betrayal of national pride blah blah blah. Meanwhile the Japanese are portrayed as sneakily trying to undermine poor ol' Korea and then get called out for it face-to-face (and also lose like the majority of their powerhouses because unlike Koreans, Japanese are expendable) and then the Russian S-Ranker is being portrayed as greedy and delusional and over-his-head. Meanwhile the death of one Korean is treated as a super big tragedy cause apparently this dude who shows up and dies was supposed to make an impact on the reader.

That's honestly the biggest reason it just annoys me so much when combined in tandem with the overpowered / growing stronger thing. If it didn't have that, I could probably feel less bad about the series as a whole, but because it chooses to incorporate hackneyed politics with a good ol' dollop of Korean inferiority complex kicking it, it comes off as trashy and poo poo to me.

That said, I don't think it's wrong to like it or enjoy it or whatever, cause god knows I love reading stuff that other people think is poo poo, and I can get the appeal of the series for people who don't get all weird about political representation in this and just want to read a story where a strong dude murder things good.

Fair points. I think I am pathologically blind to those kinds of shenanigans just because that kind of writing seeps into so much stuff, as in just the concept that every [other faction] not of the protagonist's are terminally incompetent / moustache-twirlingly evil, I mean, that I don't consider it avoidable anymore.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, if it didn't have real-life politics tied to it I would have pretty much no problems.

I'd think it was somewhat hackneyed and original, sure, but I wouldn't really be so antsy with it if it was just RANDOM IMAGINARY COUNTRY A, B, and C. It's a cliche, sure, but one I can live with.

Anyways I don't want to be the guy who bitches about Solo Leveling every time people want to actually discuss it so I think I'll stop whining about it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

there isn't really anything to discuss about it tbf

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

To be fair, I don't think I've seen any story do international politics or whatever well. But adding that sort of element to your story is probably a mistake in the first place. At least not without laying a lot of ground work.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nemo Somen posted:

To be fair, I don't think I've seen any story do international politics or whatever well. But adding that sort of element to your story is probably a mistake in the first place. At least not without laying a lot of ground work.

How dare you forget Legend of Koizumi

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Liveware posted:

I guess I don't really get this. Like, I understand the idea of wish fulfillment stuff and actually enjoy a lot of stuff with that premise, but "effortlessly owning everyone and everything" is not a very fun or interesting fantasy (and it's hard for it to really feel enjoyable when it feels like everything in the setting revolves around showing off how cool and strong the protagonist is). SL is still one of the better series of this nature due to its production value (which is why I lasted as long as I did), though it also has an almost endearingly adolescent idea of what looks "badass" when it comes to the protagonist's abilities/appearance/behavior. The only reason I felt like commenting on it is that its positive aspects (a promising setting and good art/action) made it more of a bummer when it ended up going down this path.

This is far more of an issue for the web novel genre than webtoons, though (and there's a lot of stuff out there dramatically worse than Solo Leveling - tbh I'd say SL is still better than The Gamer, which ended up going down the same path except without the good art/action, though it took a bit longer to reach that point).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!
catching up on the new kubera and lol at maruna and ran becoming friends by being dumped in a seemingly eternal featureless void

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

How dare you forget Legend of Koizumi

Any time I describe that series to people it winds up sounding like a fever dream. I love it, wish it was getting more frequent translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

Any time I describe that series to people it winds up sounding like a fever dream. I love it, wish it was getting more frequent translations.

It's so goofy and good