Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

So I missed the past 5 hours or so what did I miss...can anyone recap?

Wardlow defeated Hager via F10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

lol it's happening

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The audio is making it sound like Cory Booker is farting up a storm.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

General Dog posted:

I’m not typically one for doomsaying, but I fear that 10 or 20 years from now none of this is going to seem very remarkable compared to what followed.

this 2016 erasure is scary

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

Chan Gailey resigned!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Trump getting 25ed before leaving office would be worth the crazy circus that would result

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Joey Freshwater posted:

A powerful Q-Anon shaman overthrew the senate and issued warrants for the arrest of ever lib and RINO.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

The audio is making it sound like Cory Booker is farting up a storm.

My bowels are in upheaval today so you know I get it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

booker just called out cruz directly.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

this 2016 erasure is scary

What happened then?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

General Dog posted:

I’m not typically one for doomsaying, but I fear that 10 or 20 years from now none of this is going to seem very remarkable compared to what followed.

Schumer compared it to Pearl Harbor. This isn't even going to be the most remarkable day of the year. At least it was funny to see the Senators all shook now that right wing violence finally landed on their doorstep.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1346996267776241664?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

Chan Gailey resigned!

Scrolling twitter is hilarious. Hundreds of things about the capitol/politics/whatever and then something noting a Mizzou player entered the transfer portal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wonder if there's bipartisan support for shortening the lame duck period after all this.

Like obviously there would need to be a lot of work to speed up elections at the state level but why was a dude like Trump allowed to stay in office months after being voted out and build up support for something like this

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Chan Gailey resigned!

I actually saw that earlier and my first thought was "Chan Gailey still has a job?"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What happened earlier was bad.

But pragmatically, it was good.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

D-LINK posted:

lol it's happening

If this actually happens does it make all of the 46 merchandise that is presumably being made for Biden inaccurate? Because lol if so

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Trump is basically the Dad Gay. So What of America. His posting abilities have become too powerful for one man to safely wield.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

I wonder if there's bipartisan support for shortening the lame duck period after all this.

Like obviously there would need to be a lot of work to speed up elections at the state level but why was a dude like Trump allowed to stay in office months after being voted out and build up support for something like this

The lame duck period used to last until March 4th. Whew.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C-Euro posted:

Part of it is our stupidly long election certification process. We give states like a month to certify. Then they need to have the electoral vote, then the poo poo that was supposed to happen today. There’s no reason it should take this long, but the constitution requires a million steps. If anything though, inauguration should be immediately after congress certifies the results. At least that would cut two weeks off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, if it was a straight popular vote it'd take less than a month.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Trump should have posted the artisanal burrito

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm remembering 2000 and thinking that if there had been more time for florida to certify its votes, that would have made bush v gore harder for the supreme court to flagrantly throw an election.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm remembering 2000 and thinking that if there had been more time for florida to certify its votes, that would have made bush v gore harder for the supreme court to flagrantly throw an election.

Again, it needs to be a popular vote. Florida wouldn't have loving mattered if it was a popular vote.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

General Dog posted:

What happened then?

we voted for this

also

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1346999520186355714

Nov 6, 2002

I wonder, would Trump resign if he thought he was going to get removed?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't even think he can conceive that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Again, it needs to be a popular vote. Florida wouldn't have loving mattered if it was a popular vote.

Well sure but the popular vote compact is the only way we're getting that... and the closer we get to the tipping point the harder it gets to get another state on board.

If we have a popular vote, then it'd make sense to push for a constitutional amendment to just go ahead and abolish the electoral college, since it will have been effectively removed from relevance at that point, and while we're doing that, we can also shorten the election process.

In the meantime, though, while any random state's votes could be critical, and those states all run their own elections in whatever cockamamie way they want, I'm happy to give them ample time to have their bullshit challenged and maybe re-challenged and get into court etc. etc.

After certification of the vote we don't really need more time, probably, I'd be cool with counting electoral votes on the 6th and putting the president (and elected members of congress) into office on the 7th.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

No

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

Which is why the SC demanded the count stop so that they could run out the clock.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

As a combo breaker if you have not witnessed the Heat's court and uniforms yet like I hadn't flip to ESPN for a minute and smile.

It’s the sleek, dazzling veneer of the 1980’s.

Nov 6, 2002

I don't think someone like Mike Pompeo, who just over a month ago said there would be a smooth transition to another Trump administration, would be remotely willing to enact the 25th amendment.

Nov 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Well sure but the popular vote compact is the only way we're getting that... and the closer we get to the tipping point the harder it gets to get another state on board.

If we have a popular vote, then it'd make sense to push for a constitutional amendment to just go ahead and abolish the electoral college, since it will have been effectively removed from relevance at that point, and while we're doing that, we can also shorten the election process.

In the meantime, though, while any random state's votes could be critical, and those states all run their own elections in whatever cockamamie way they want, I'm happy to give them ample time to have their bullshit challenged and maybe re-challenged and get into court etc. etc.

After certification of the vote we don't really need more time, probably, I'd be cool with counting electoral votes on the 6th and putting the president (and elected members of congress) into office on the 7th.

If that pop vote compact is enacted it's going to be immediately squashed by this SC, you know it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If that pop vote compact is enacted it's going to be immediately squashed by this SC, you know it.

The whole idea of compact is that everyone says it's legally sound.

Alas, in a 6-3 decision...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
the worst person you know makes a great point

https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/1346988742431666178

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Delete yer facebook

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1346997151151230978

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

the worst person you know makes a great point

https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/1346988742431666178

Has anybody gotten O.J.’s take on today?!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think I may be jokerfied, I really haven't been able to muster anything but lmao's to pretty much everthing that happened today.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s likely still decades from being enacted, so I wouldn’t worry too much about the current SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Kalli posted:

I think I may be jokerfied, I really haven't been able to muster anything but lmao's to pretty much everthing that happened today.

My wife is completely shook, but I'm kind of in the same boat. Like, acknowledge the significance of an attempted coup, but fuckin' y'allqueda getting gassed just makes me laugh.