Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sentient Data posted:

I find that a lower temperature is no good for chicken breast, the texture is too gelatinous below at least 160

My wife prefers 165. I personally would prefer more like 145 but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My wife also prefers 165 but it's less a problem of taste/texture and more just simply because she was raised to believe that chicken must always, 100% of the time, be cooked to that temperature or you'll die. Pasteurization be damned. I've shown her the tables and the scientific articles and it's just not a logical issue for her. She'll read them and understand what's put in front of her and then nope the gently caress out of chicken not cooked to 165. I could probably cook it at a lower temp and just not tell her but I don't really like to lie to my wife, so mine comes out early and hers stays in a little longer at a higher temp and we both end up happy.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Inspector 34 posted:

My wife also prefers 165 but it's less a problem of taste/texture and more just simply because she was raised to believe that chicken must always, 100% of the time, be cooked to that temperature or you'll die. Pasteurization be damned. I've shown her the tables and the scientific articles and it's just not a logical issue for her. She'll read them and understand what's put in front of her and then nope the gently caress out of chicken not cooked to 165. I could probably cook it at a lower temp and just not tell her but I don't really like to lie to my wife, so mine comes out early and hers stays in a little longer at a higher temp and we both end up happy.

I get that. It’s not intellectual for me, but the texture/temp sets off a feeling of, “oh no” somewhere deep in my stomach, and it’s not quite full on nausea, but it’s unpleasant enough to ruin my appetite for a while. It’s happened to me with kitfo, which is a bummer because I actually liked the taste of it, but something about the rawness caused a physical discomfort in my gut that I couldn’t shake with science thoughts.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I totally get it too so I don't push back on it. If I was served chicken in a restaurant where the texture didn't feel like it had been cooked to temp I would immediately start to worry about how the next 12hrs will go. I feel better about trusting my own cooking when I know it spent a certain amount of time at a specific temperature but that's not a hurdle everybody can jump.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Marshal Plugnut posted:

That was actually the recipe that interested me, glad it comes recommended. Just less salt you say?

Yeah, I made a full packer for NEAI 2017, it turned out that the bag juices were really really salty.
Even an entire bottle of shelf BBQ sauce was overpowered by the salt.

The meat wasn't too bad, but yeah, i would knock 25% off the salt.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

All my life my family has said not to cook fish sous vide, "it'll fall apart," "just needs a good sear." Just sous vided salmon for the first time and holy gently caress this is the best meal I have ever made

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Just finished off the last of the creme brulee I made for Christmas. I ended up filling 12 ramekins of varying sizes and my only question is why I don't do this more often.

Its really not that hard, a quart of cream and 10 egg yolks make solid 6 nights of desserts and the texture is perfect.

Also I get to play with the torch.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

Just finished off the last of the creme brulee I made for Christmas. I ended up filling 12 ramekins of varying sizes and my only question is why I don't do this more often.

Its really not that hard, a quart of cream and 10 egg yolks make solid 6 nights of desserts and the texture is perfect.

Also I get to play with the torch.

We’ve already bought your dad PPE for the kitchen, do not make me source you a NOMEX suit.

That said, _would_. Did you add any flavoring at any point, or just standard custard+flame? That weird gently caress I worked with at the law firm used to do a good vanilla bean base and then add flavored sugar for the torching, and it was a solid choice.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I did SV chicken breast at 145 the other day and the consistency seemed totally normal to me. Maybe I've just been under cooking chicken breast my whole life.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

We’ve already bought your dad PPE for the kitchen, do not make me source you a NOMEX suit.

That said, _would_. Did you add any flavoring at any point, or just standard custard+flame? That weird gently caress I worked with at the law firm used to do a good vanilla bean base and then add flavored sugar for the torching, and it was a solid choice.

The most successful change I've made is just adding a little fresh ground coffee to the cream and letting that steep overnight before combining it with the egg yolks and sugar.

I've also poured it over fresh berries at the bottom of the ramekin which was solid but not particularly exciting.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just attempted soft boiled eggs. Following a recipe I found I did 15 minutes at 165, then 3 minutes in an ice bath. They came out just a slight bit more runny than I would’ve liked, but nearly there. They were much colder than I expected, so will need to find the right balance of time in the ice bath to keep them more warm.

Anyone have any better recipes to share?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey I'm doing 4 ducks (two wild and two farmed) and a (wild) goose breast today. The plan is to use Kenji's temps - do the breasts at 135F for 2 hours or so (and then freeze some of them after they're SV) and then the legs/wings confit at 155F for 36 more hours or so.

Are Kenji's temperatures decent? And are there any food safety problems with refreezing some of the duck breasts after SV?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Just attempted soft boiled eggs. Following a recipe I found I did 15 minutes at 165, then 3 minutes in an ice bath. They came out just a slight bit more runny than I would’ve liked, but nearly there. They were much colder than I expected, so will need to find the right balance of time in the ice bath to keep them more warm.

6 minutes in a lidded boiling pot to ice bath.

You can do cool things with eggs and SV but boiled eggs are best boiled or steamed.

Looks like a nice poach job

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

6 minutes in a lidded boiling pot to ice bath.

You can do cool things with eggs and SV but boiled eggs are best boiled or steamed.

Looks like a nice poach job

That's what I normally do for the soft boiled eggs I put in my ramen. I wanted to give the SV a try since I thought it'd have been better. Probably just stick with the tride and true going forward.

I love my instapot for hard boiled eggs, they come out perfect.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

TraderStav posted:

75*C for 15 minutes is good if you like the texture of poached.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

:nallears:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TraderStav posted:

That's what I normally do for the soft boiled eggs I put in my ramen. I wanted to give the SV a try since I thought it'd have been better. Probably just stick with the tride and true going forward.

I love my instapot for hard boiled eggs, they come out perfect.

This may not be the place, but how do you do hard-boiled eggs in an instant pot?

I have one, maybe I should give it a try . . .

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Poached eggs were the first thing I tried when I got my immersion circulator and they convinced me that eggs are better done via traditional methods for the texture I like. I want a set white and a runny yolk and that works best when using high heat that spreads from the outside inwards.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Zarin posted:

This may not be the place, but how do you do hard-boiled eggs in an instant pot?

My wife normally does it, so I can't say from experience, but here is what I found online which seems very similar to what she does (which is basically nothing).

https://amindfullmom.com/instant-pot-hard-boiled-eggs/

- Place 1 cup of COLD water in the inner pot of pressure cooker (liquid is ALWAYS needed for the pressure cooker to be able to reach pressure.)
- Place eggs in egg rack or carefully on top of the rack that the Instant Pot came with.
- Seal pressure cooker.
- Set cook time to 5 minutes (5 minutes on high pressure--push the manual button and adjust the timer to 5 minutes)
- After cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes (I suggest setting a timer that will beep at 5 minutes so you don't lose track of time. )
- Once 5 minutes has elapsed, release any remaining pressure in Instant Pot by using a wooden spoon or kitchen towel to knock vent knob to vent position.
- Carefully, remove eggs from the pressure cooker and place it in an ice bath. Eggs are VERY hot, so use potholder if your fingers aren't made of steel!
After eggs have been in an ice bath for 5 minutes, remove eggs from the ice bath.
- Peel and enjoy your PERFECT hard-boiled eggs.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Or just get one of those $15 hotplate style egg steamers, toss in the 25ml or so of water that it calls for, and have perfectly cooked eggs in a couple minutes. I'm normally against dedicated machines in the kitchen, but that egg thing is right up there with a rice cooker as something that's dead simple and gives great results

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm about to try my first 24+ hour SV cook using this brisket recipe. Can you do super long baths like this in regular freezer bags? Is evaporation a huge concern? All I have at the moment is a big stock pot, with no SV-capable lid. Should I try covering it in foil? I'm gonna start in about an hour and check on it throughout the day, so I can top off the water if needed, but it'll be unattended overnight.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

I'm about to try my first 24+ hour SV cook using this brisket recipe. Can you do super long baths like this in regular freezer bags? Is evaporation a huge concern? All I have at the moment is a big stock pot, with no SV-capable lid. Should I try covering it in foil? I'm gonna start in about an hour and check on it throughout the day, so I can top off the water if needed, but it'll be unattended overnight.

good quality freezer bags should be fine; personally i'd double bag to be safe but i've done 48 hour cooks in freezer bags (but at lower temps). evaporation will happen but as long as you've got a good bit of water more than the minimum you need for the circulator and keeping the meat submerged then some foil or plastic wrap over the pot will keep that under control overnight.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lester Shy posted:

I've done 36 hour cooks in FoodSaver bags and had no problem. Foil would work just fine in lieu of a lid to address evaporation.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
My only bit of advice is to try and set up the "lid" so that there is a place to vent a little steam, far away from the SV unit.

My first foray into modifying a container for SV ended up with a gap next to the unit, and over time steam worked its way under the touchscreen. While a bed of rice was able to resolve that issue, it has happened multiple times and I am in the middle of reworking that particular enclosure.

The subsequent enclosures I made have a small vent hole at the far end and a much better seal around the SV unit to prevent that from happening again.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CommonShore posted:

Hey I'm doing 4 ducks (two wild and two farmed) and a (wild) goose breast today. The plan is to use Kenji's temps - do the breasts at 135F for 2 hours or so (and then freeze some of them after they're SV) and then the legs/wings confit at 155F for 36 more hours or so.

Are Kenji's temperatures decent? And are there any food safety problems with refreezing some of the duck breasts after SV?
Those times and temperatures are more or less what I use and they come out fine.

I've been doing a lot of duck breast meat for homemade ramen during the pandemic, and I usually do them for ~2 hours at 131 F/55 C, pat dry, sear at high heat until the skin is crisp and a bunch of the fat has rendered (while the fat's rendering I throw in some onion greens/scapes and a bunch of shiitake mushrooms to fry in the rendering fat, which probably isn't relevant to what you're doing but it's so loving good).

The duck legs I usually do at 160 F/71 C for ~36 hours and then put them in the pressure cooker for like half an hour for cassoulet. I love my puddle machine(s) but whenever I'm trying to produce something like confit I end up finishing them in a pressure cooker because I feel like the texture of the fat and connective tissue is a little...gummy?...coming out of s-v. I don't know what the right word is because I don't find it distasteful or unpleasant or anything, it's just not what I want/expect out of confit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SubG posted:

Those times and temperatures are more or less what I use and they come out fine.

I've been doing a lot of duck breast meat for homemade ramen during the pandemic, and I usually do them for ~2 hours at 131 F/55 C, pat dry, sear at high heat until the skin is crisp and a bunch of the fat has rendered (while the fat's rendering I throw in some onion greens/scapes and a bunch of shiitake mushrooms to fry in the rendering fat, which probably isn't relevant to what you're doing but it's so loving good).

The duck legs I usually do at 160 F/71 C for ~36 hours and then put them in the pressure cooker for like half an hour for cassoulet. I love my puddle machine(s) but whenever I'm trying to produce something like confit I end up finishing them in a pressure cooker because I feel like the texture of the fat and connective tissue is a little...gummy?...coming out of s-v. I don't know what the right word is because I don't find it distasteful or unpleasant or anything, it's just not what I want/expect out of confit.

Rad thanks.

FYI in way of trip report - wild goose breast done at 135F does not turn out well. It was basically inedibly tough.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zarin posted:

6 minutes active cook, on an elevated steamer (the instant pot comes with one), with about 1 cup of water in the instant pot. Easiest eggs to peel I've ever cooked.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Rad thanks.

FYI in way of trip report - wild goose breast done at 135F does not turn out well. It was basically inedibly tough.
Sorry, no recommendations for goose because I've never done one in the puddle machine. I've been going through ducks like crazy since the start of the pandemic because the CSA I use sells 'em. But haven't done a single goose.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
previously I tried chicken at 146.5, that was really really soft, like on the gross side as people have mentioned.

last night I tried 160F, and that's definitely a "well done" texture, still nice and moist but firmer than I guess I was looking for.

This was a batch of breast I used with fajita seasoning for burritos, not bad, it's obviously not gourmet fancy grilled but it's super easy and doesn't dry out like chicken sometimes can when you overcook it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Wow this brisket came out just perfect. 24 hours at 155 -> pat dry and place in fridge -> glaze and rub -> 2 hours in the oven at 285.

I'm glad I decided to double bag it though. The outer bag was 50% full of water by the time I pulled it out. Lost a few inches of water to evaporation overnight. Not enough to uncover the meat or stop the machine, but it's definitely got me looking at specialty sous vide containers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just buy some cheap ping pong balls.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SubG posted:

Sorry, no recommendations for goose because I've never done one in the puddle machine. I've been going through ducks like crazy since the start of the pandemic because the CSA I use sells 'em. But haven't done a single goose.

No worries. Thanks for the idea of duck on ramen though. I did that with my leftovers yesterday and it was one of the best bowls of ramen I've ever served: leftover grilled duck breast, snap peas, broccoli, bell pepper, poached egg, and sweet corn with a rich beef broth. So colourful!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

No worries. Thanks for the idea of duck on ramen though. I did that with my leftovers yesterday and it was one of the best bowls of ramen I've ever served: leftover grilled duck breast, snap peas, broccoli, bell pepper, poached egg, and sweet corn with a rich beef broth. So colourful!
It's even better with duck stock because duck stock is full of duck fat and hoooooly gently caress is duck fat good.

What I do is some general variation of:

Duck carcass, couple shallots, some onion greens, a bunch of garlic, a bunch of sliced ginger, half an apple. This goes in a roasting pan, roasting pan goes under broiler until everything's got some good browning/char.

While that's going, I make some dashi: equal parts (by weight) bonito flakes and kombu, I do something like 15 g each for a litre of water. Bonito and kombu in the water, bring water to boil, take off heat and let sit for ~5 minutes, strain and reserve. I make three litres for one duck carcass because that's what fits in my pressure cooker.

Roasted stuff and dashi go in the pressure cooker, 45 minutes at high pressure, then I strain the stock into quart delitainers.

That's the stock.

I make homemade noodles a day ahead (the texture comes out better if you let the sit overnight instead of eating them fresh). It's just a 35% dough: ~100 g bread flour, 35 g water. I add ~1% sodium carbonate/baked baking soda and a bare pinch of salt to this. Just mix everything together until it looks plausible as a dough, it'll start a little crumbly but let it sit in the fridge for like a half hour, 45 minutes before trying to make noodles out of it and'll get more workable. If it's still too crumbly add tiny amounts of water and work it more until it's just barely willing to hold together as a dough.

The rested dough goes through the pasta roller on the widest setting (0 on a Marcado Atlas). This will look like a mess and you'll be thinking holy poo poo no way this is going to produce noodles, where did my life go wrong. Fold it and put it through the widest setting again. This will also look like a mess. Keep doing this and after three or four passes it'll start looking like maybe it might turn into something. At this point run the dough through 0, then 1, then 2, then fold the dough in half, go back to 0 and repeat this four times or so. At which point it should start looking pretty plausible. From here you can keep repeating the above, or move on to your desired thickness. I go up to 6, and then cut them using the tagliolini cutter that came with the Marcado (it makes 1.5mm noodles). Before cutting the noodles I lightly dust the dough with a little flour so they're less prone to sticking. The cut noodles go in a delitainer and into the fridge to sit overnight. I make 100g a serving and work/cut the noodles in roughly portion sizes (I'm usually making for two, so 200g flour, 70g water, and then just eyeball it to divide the dough in halves before putting it through the machine).

The last bit of prep is making tare if you don't already have tare. That's just roughly equal parts Japanese soy and mirin simmered with garlic, ginger, and green onion (although you can do fancier stuff with it if you have a mind to). It's a pretty common condiment sauce so I make enough to fill a woozy bottle and then just keep it in the fridge to have whenever I need it.

Day of you get your stock reheating, start a large pot of water boiling for the noodles, and a skillet/fry pan for searing off the duck breast.

Already covered the s-v for the duck breast: They come out of the puddle machine, pat dry, skillet at high heat until skin is crisp and fat is rendered. Sliced shiitakes and onion greens go in the rendered fat to get lightly fried and then they're reserved. When the duck breast is done it gets sliced thin.

Noodles take a couple three minutes in salted boiling water. In the last 30 seconds or so I throw in a bunch of bok choy or other greens to get lightly blanched.

Drain noodles, move them to fuckoff big noodle bowls. Add sliced duck, blanched greens, fried shiitakes and onions, sliced or halved hardboiled egg, whatever else you want in your soup. Pour reheated stock into bowls, drizzle a bunch of tare, garnish if that's your thing, done.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SubG posted:

It's even better with duck stock because duck stock is full of duck fat and hoooooly gently caress is duck fat good.

What I do is some general variation of:

Duck carcass, couple shallots, some onion greens, a bunch of garlic, a bunch of sliced ginger, half an apple. This goes in a roasting pan, roasting pan goes under broiler until everything's got some good browning/char.

While that's going, I make some dashi: equal parts (by weight) bonito flakes and kombu, I do something like 15 g each for a litre of water. Bonito and kombu in the water, bring water to boil, take off heat and let sit for ~5 minutes, strain and reserve. I make three litres for one duck carcass because that's what fits in my pressure cooker.

Roasted stuff and dashi go in the pressure cooker, 45 minutes at high pressure, then I strain the stock into quart delitainers.

That's the stock.

I make homemade noodles a day ahead (the texture comes out better if you let the sit overnight instead of eating them fresh). It's just a 35% dough: ~100 g bread flour, 35 g water. I add ~1% sodium carbonate/baked baking soda and a bare pinch of salt to this. Just mix everything together until it looks plausible as a dough, it'll start a little crumbly but let it sit in the fridge for like a half hour, 45 minutes before trying to make noodles out of it and'll get more workable. If it's still too crumbly add tiny amounts of water and work it more until it's just barely willing to hold together as a dough.

The rested dough goes through the pasta roller on the widest setting (0 on a Marcado Atlas). This will look like a mess and you'll be thinking holy poo poo no way this is going to produce noodles, where did my life go wrong. Fold it and put it through the widest setting again. This will also look like a mess. Keep doing this and after three or four passes it'll start looking like maybe it might turn into something. At this point run the dough through 0, then 1, then 2, then fold the dough in half, go back to 0 and repeat this four times or so. At which point it should start looking pretty plausible. From here you can keep repeating the above, or move on to your desired thickness. I go up to 6, and then cut them using the tagliolini cutter that came with the Marcado (it makes 1.5mm noodles). Before cutting the noodles I lightly dust the dough with a little flour so they're less prone to sticking. The cut noodles go in a delitainer and into the fridge to sit overnight. I make 100g a serving and work/cut the noodles in roughly portion sizes (I'm usually making for two, so 200g flour, 70g water, and then just eyeball it to divide the dough in halves before putting it through the machine).

The last bit of prep is making tare if you don't already have tare. That's just roughly equal parts Japanese soy and mirin simmered with garlic, ginger, and green onion (although you can do fancier stuff with it if you have a mind to). It's a pretty common condiment sauce so I make enough to fill a woozy bottle and then just keep it in the fridge to have whenever I need it.

Day of you get your stock reheating, start a large pot of water boiling for the noodles, and a skillet/fry pan for searing off the duck breast.

Already covered the s-v for the duck breast: They come out of the puddle machine, pat dry, skillet at high heat until skin is crisp and fat is rendered. Sliced shiitakes and onion greens go in the rendered fat to get lightly fried and then they're reserved. When the duck breast is done it gets sliced thin.

Noodles take a couple three minutes in salted boiling water. In the last 30 seconds or so I throw in a bunch of bok choy or other greens to get lightly blanched.

Drain noodles, move them to fuckoff big noodle bowls. Add sliced duck, blanched greens, fried shiitakes and onions, sliced or halved hardboiled egg, whatever else you want in your soup. Pour reheated stock into bowls, drizzle a bunch of tare, garnish if that's your thing, done.

I'll try some of this approach - I'm already making my own noodles at roughly that proportion already, though I'm a bit less precise (yesterday was "about" 300g of flour and "about" 120g of water and "oh about this much" sodium carb). I roll to 5 and then cut them wide because I like chonky noodles. I was a bit lazier with the dressings in the soup itself, though I did throw some duck fat into the stock. I put sesame oil and memmi into the bottom of the bowl and drizzled some japanese soy sauce on top. The bonito flakes are hard to find here, so that's what I keep around to get that flavour. I should make proper tare next time though.

If I'm making actual dedicated pork bone ramen stock I throw shitakes and kombu into the broth. I did get a litre of beautiful duck stock but I'm saving it for cassoulet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I mentioned I did a batch of chicken breasts with fajita seasoning, I was slicing up some jalapenos and it occurred to me that I could slice up some jalapenos first and throw them in the bag with the chicken? might get some good flavor like that (although the jalapenos themselves may not be fully cooked since it looks like you want to do those closer to 190 than mid-150s like chicken).

while doing that I also came on some recipes for sous-vide pickled jalapenos and then it occurred to me that you could do carrots the same way. Anova has a recipe for that as well.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-pickled-jalapenos

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-petite-pickled-carrots

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mentioned I did a batch of chicken breasts with fajita seasoning, I was slicing up some jalapenos and it occurred to me that I could slice up some jalapenos first and throw them in the bag with the chicken? might get some good flavor like that (although the jalapenos themselves may not be fully cooked since it looks like you want to do those closer to 190 than mid-150s like chicken).

while doing that I also came on some recipes for sous-vide pickled jalapenos and then it occurred to me that you could do carrots the same way. Anova has a recipe for that as well.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-pickled-jalapenos

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-petite-pickled-carrots
Yo my S/O and I have been sous viding chicken thighs for lunches en masse and then freezing them, definitely interested in advice like this on marinades and seasoning to go with it. We tried a harissa-based rub and it came out great. Goddamn I love sous vide

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Any tips on doing pulled pork? I'm probably going to do the Serious Eats recipe, which is basically identical to their brisket recipe I've used in the past, except it calls for a higher temp (165) and a shorter cook (18 rather than 24 hours).

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Lester Shy posted:

Any tips on doing pulled pork? I'm probably going to do the Serious Eats recipe, which is basically identical to their brisket recipe I've used in the past, except it calls for a higher temp (165) and a shorter cook (18 rather than 24 hours).

I have done pulled pork at 165F for 18-20hrs several times and it comes out great every time. I have never followed the SE recipe but many people complain about the salt levels. I use any basic rub I would use for smoked pulled pork and it comes out great. My process:

1. Cover the pork shoulder in any standard rub
  2. Sous vide at 165F for ~20hrs
  3. Take out, pat dry and reapply a thinner coat of rub since a lot of that will come off in the bag
  4. Finish in an oven or smoker at 275F for 1-2hrs. This will get you a bit of that bark you want on the outside and smoker flavor if you have a smoker.
  5. Optionally, you can pull the pork and then add it to a pan over med-high heat to get a crispy carnitas-like texture.

One of the best parts about pulled pork is how great the leftovers are. I typically vacuum seal the leftovers in 6-8oz packages and freeze them. Whenever I want some, I put that bag straight out of the freezer into the SV around 140F for ~30m-1hr and finish by dumping the bag (juices and everything) into a med heat pan to crisp again. So good.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Counterpoint, if you have a slow cooker http://www.goonswithspoons.com/w/index.php?title=Pulled_Pork&hsa=1 is a great recipe that I've made quite a few times. During a recent batch I forgot to get apple cider vinegar; I substituted with rice vinegar and a splash of amaretto and it turned out even better

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yo my S/O and I have been sous viding chicken thighs for lunches en masse and then freezing them, definitely interested in advice like this on marinades and seasoning to go with it. We tried a harissa-based rub and it came out great. Goddamn I love sous vide

I'm still a beginner but the advice I've read is that marinades don't work well on sous vide for a variety of reasons. Sous vide doesn't really need the "added liquid" aspect of a marinade, or the "acid to break down the meat and make it tender" aspect, and it doesn't cook the marinade into a sauce like it does in stovetop/oven cooking, it will stay very, very liquid since there's no liquid boiling off. Since the outside of the meat tends to cook first, they also don't soak in while cooking. So if you were going to do a marinade, you would probably want to do it before.

But I think the better recommendation overall is to try and replace liquid marinades with dry rubs and spice blends. The one I'm struggling a bit with is how to adapt things like lemon juice - I guess you can zest a lemon but that's a lot of zest, and what I'm reading on amazon reviews is that dried zest doesn't work very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm still a beginner but the advice I've read is that marinades don't work well on sous vide for a variety of reasons. Sous vide doesn't really need the "added liquid" aspect of a marinade, or the "acid to break down the meat and make it tender" aspect, and it doesn't cook the marinade into a sauce like it does in stovetop/oven cooking, it will stay very, very liquid since there's no liquid boiling off. Since the outside of the meat tends to cook first, they also don't soak in while cooking. So if you were going to do a marinade, you would probably want to do it before.

But I think the better recommendation overall is to try and replace liquid marinades with dry rubs and spice blends. The one I'm struggling a bit with is how to adapt things like lemon juice - I guess you can zest a lemon but that's a lot of zest, and what I'm reading on amazon reviews is that dried zest doesn't work very well.

A little lemon juice isn’t going to hurt anything. You could make or buy lemon-infused salt if you wanted, though.