Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Romes128 posted:

Also saw a tool tip while the game loaded that said you can pop a hematic grenade and fire through the mist using regular bullets and it'll do MORE damage to bt's than bt weapons, which I'll definitely have to try.

I generally just chuck a heme grenade at the BT boss and shoot regular bullets at the red spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I've been playing this game blind, just expecting weirdness and not being disappointed. That red mist trick is welcome news to me!

I love how BTs are just as stressful here in the 3rd chapter as they were in the first region. What an awesome adversary; one of the best ever made.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can also go around to every bunker you've uncovered and drain them of all of their crystals. Same for the player owned base entrances. When building the entire highway pre-truck and pre-zip, I think I went around to every single place to collect every drop of crystals I could.

Since the highway is done I have like just a ridiculous amount of crystals with nothing to use em on

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I feel like I may be playing wrong, because I'm in chapter 3 just retrieved the craftsman's toolbox from that BT-filled ruin and my crystals are just piling up. I'm sitting on over 1000 and probably another few 1000 stored at past facilities. The equipment crafting uses a bit, but nowhere near enough to drain me. Are you guys piling them into something else, like the roads? Or maybe there's another mechanic coming up that drains it?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

former glory posted:

I feel like I may be playing wrong, because I'm in chapter 3 just retrieved the craftsman's toolbox from that BT-filled ruin and my crystals are just piling up. I'm sitting on over 1000 and probably another few 1000 stored at past facilities. The equipment crafting uses a bit, but nowhere near enough to drain me. Are you guys piling them into something else, like the roads? Or maybe there's another mechanic coming up that drains it?

Yeah, roads get expensive.

The only other thing that actively uses crystals in the little pull cart thingy for cargo. And of course crafting.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

former glory posted:

Roads and repairing stuff you build, like lockers and other structures you build with the PCCs. 1000 isn't all that much in the future, but you're good for now. Don't stress and grind yet.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I assume it's roads, not much else uses crystals but once you start upgrading them they use a LOT

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I've got one almost built, so we'll see if it becomes my bottomless pit.

I haven't been building too much with PCCs because I find there's almost always another player's structure where I envision plopping one down. It's almost like they went a little too collaborative with the chiral network sometimes. At least early on where I am.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I really can't believe there's no way to play with colored suits except post game. Like I'm not even asking for a real new game+. Just let me wander around with another colored suit.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I mean, there's 500 missions to complete plus the DLC missions for you to wander around in. I'm guessing the reason they didn't let you change the suit is because of body color during cutscenes? Can't think of anything else. Yes I know he has a hat and stuff, but the ~12 suit colors might have been more work or something, idk.

Also if anyone is trying to 100% the missions, remember this:

night slime posted:

So I found out the terminals only display 10 orders at a time and that they display more if you go back after the fabricate equipment menu (the one for the mission), and you have to do that again to display more than 20 or however many you want. This was confusing for a long time to me, and I remember reading in the thread someone couldn't get the Heartman order for a report to show up. I thought it just displayed stuff and made you clear orders to get what you wanted to show up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I assume it's roads, not much else uses crystals but once you start upgrading them they use a LOT

You mean building them right? Because you can't upgrade roads. Upgrading certain buildings needs a lot of crystals though. There's some lore in the game somewhere about how the crystals are unaffected by timefall and so are used to coat buildings so they resist it, which is usually the main thing upgrading poo poo does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They really made a game where you throw your poo poo, piss, and gamer girl bathwater at ghosts huh?

Game owns.

CJacobs posted:

Needing a piss will make Sam occasionally complain about how bad he has to go but other than that I don't think there are any gameplay effects. I whipped it out to piss off a mountain because come on who the heck isn't gonna do that and he said "here, really?? Uggghhh".

why is there not a longest piss (duration and distance) metric in the game?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 6, 2021

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

OwlFancier posted:

They really made a game where you throw your poo poo, piss, and gamer girl bathwater at ghosts huh?

Game owns.

why is there not a longest piss (duration and distance) metric in the game?

Hmm, I'd go above the first pepper or veteran porter and unzip there. Just dont eat any yellow snow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I climbed one of those ruined buildings between mountain and the weather station and pissed off the top. Was hoping to hit the BTs at the bottom but didn't.

E: is conan o brian in this loving game???

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 6, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

OwlFancier posted:

I climbed one of those ruined buildings between mountain and the weather station and pissed off the top. Was hoping to hit the BTs at the bottom but didn't.

yes a little bit

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
He’s the best cameo IMO.

The worst is the junk dealers girlfriend. Woooooooo boy she can’t voice act.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Worst cameo is my man Sam Lake because they wasted his excellent face on a guy I don't like delivering to because he's so far away from all his start points. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Here's how it happened.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Do you think the game was far enough along that Kojima was able to smugly smile to himself when Conan's making pizza delivery jokes?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's where he may have gotten the idea for all we know.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Romes128 posted:

He’s the best cameo IMO.

The worst is the junk dealers girlfriend. Woooooooo boy she can’t voice act.

actually the entire junk dealer storyline is so weird its the best thing in the game easily

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I understand that it's supposed to be squished time/distance scale and it's actually supposed to be a long way but it's so drat funny to me that the Chiral Artist and Junk Dealer's homes would be within plain sight of one another were it not for the small hill right behind his house.

edit: My theory is that the Junk Dealer originally was located where the Film Director is and it got swapped during development for whatever reason. Maybe something about making it a longer trek to him from the Elder.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Wafflecopper posted:

real porters reach mountain knot by carrying mama over the pass from the weather station :colbert:

I did this on a bike

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure going over the pass is what you're intended to do, the BTs past the Roboticist all have their backs facing you if you come from that direction, probably a tutorial for the cord cutter given Mama has special dialogue for using it with her in tow.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like that Conan isn't even a character being played by Conan. It's just there's Conan, and he does his growling noise and everything

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'd actually just been thinking about how Sam being mute outside of main story cutscenes was kind of disappointing when I met Conan. Having him try out his tight 5 on otters and be met with total silence completely redeemed that decision for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is really strange how Sam just doesn't talk to the preppers and waystation personnel. Early on he does! There are a couple full conversations for your first few deliveries to the depressed guy at the Capital Knot Waystation for example. But after you reach the Elder or thereabouts he just goes silent aside from the Junk Dealer's nonsense.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
You'd think Norman would be cheaper than Kiefer Sutherland but I guess not

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I think you're supposed to assume that he's chatting and hanging out with these guys offscreen, right? Otherwise their emails to you about how great it is to be friends are pretty sad.

And on the grenade mist -> regular bullets thing: this makes BT fights so easy that as soon as I unlocked the assault rifles I started getting deliberately grabbed to kill the bosses for crystals.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

If you hit the touchpad and shout when you're near a shelter (when the inhabitant's hology is visible) Sam will shout something random at them and they'll shout something back. I did that a lot once I discovered it, that and yelling "Whatcha looking for, dumbass!?" when fighting mules.

It is weird that Sam is treated like a silent protagonist by a lot of the NPCs but he's got a clear and distinct personality and a literal shout button.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zonko_T.M. posted:

If you hit the touchpad and shout when you're near a shelter (when the inhabitant's hology is visible) Sam will shout something random at them and they'll shout something back. I did that a lot once I discovered it, that and yelling "Whatcha looking for, dumbass!?" when fighting mules.

It is weird that Sam is treated like a silent protagonist by a lot of the NPCs but he's got a clear and distinct personality and a literal shout button.

Oh wow, I only ever used it randomly while trekking alone, that's neat. Look at devs actually using the touchpad for things, like it took me until Persona 5 Royal to realize that you can make your cat van purr by rubbing the touchpad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you hit the touchpad while (very endgame spoilers) on the infinite beach during the first credit roll, when he's all blue, he'll sometimes shout about how the game must be bugged. :allears:

edit: You can also shout at Higgs during the inevitable mano a mano with him and there's a few lines if he's not currently monologuing, which he like always is. Did you know you can jump over his scanner ping to remain in stealth like you can MULE poles? He gets comically mad if you do.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 8, 2021

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sam being silent is fine with me. He doesn’t seem to like being around people anyway.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

If you hit the touchpad while (very endgame spoilers) on the infinite beach during the first credit roll, when he's all blue, he'll sometimes shout about how the game must be bugged. :allears:

edit: You can also shout at Higgs during the inevitable mano a mano with him and there's a few lines if he's not currently monologuing, which he like always is. Did you know you can jump over his scanner ping to remain in stealth like you can MULE poles? He gets comically mad if you do.

That's so cool. I should've expected it since this is a Kojima game.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Wait, you can jump over a MULE ping??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wait, you can jump over a MULE ping??

Yup, don't even need to double jump either! The fun part is it's actually more generous than you'd think, here's me trying it for the first time on stream and pulling it off on accident. Easier to do it downhill than uphill or on a flat plane since you get more air. The only requirement is that you're below ~half your cargo max because past that point Sam can't even make it off the ground.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Never thought to try that. It seemed like they noticed me on a zip line so I never bothered.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

So in a world where one uncremated dead body can wipe out civilization, why is a guy so old that he's just called The Elder, who routinely needs medicine and pacemakers delivered to him, allowed to live alone?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sono posted:

So in a world where one uncremated dead body can wipe out civilization, why is a guy so old that he's just called The Elder, who routinely needs medicine and pacemakers delivered to him, allowed to live alone?

hes hundreds of miles from anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

how does he get through so many pacemakers anyway