Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The strangest thing about Hamilton is that a lot of people thought it's something other than a cornball hiphop musical theater show loosely based on an old rich white guy.

It's very good at being that, but it's definitely still that, at least until Disney has Aaron Burr and Hamilton reenact the dual of the fates fight in Hamilton 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWSx4j0eaZk

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A couple people recommended checking out Beauty and The Beast on Netflix, the cop show. Watching the pilot episode. This dude smells crime?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

A couple people recommended checking out Beauty and The Beast on Netflix, the cop show. Watching the pilot episode. This dude smells crime?

He nose the truth.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This makes me happy, let’s hope the earth still exists in March.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I really enjoyed Solar Opposites. It was a little rough, but what first season of a comedy isn’t?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's no Rick & Morty but because it's on Hulu they can get away with a lot more than they could on Adult Swim; first season had it's moments. I'm pretty hopeful the second season will be great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

It's no Rick & Morty

It isn’t and I’m glad, and I say that as someone who likes Rick and Mitty. It’s way less unpleasant. Like, the aliens and most everyone around them are terrible people but it’s a way more enjoyable terrible than Rick and Morty’s steady moments of depressed misanthropy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It isn’t and I’m glad, and I say that as someone who likes Rick and Mitty. It’s way less unpleasant. Like, the aliens and most everyone around them are terrible people but it’s a way more enjoyable terrible than Rick and Morty’s steady moments of depressed misanthropy.

Yeah, absolutely. They're assholes but there's not a lot of soul crushing hopelessness 2-3 times an episode. It's a fun show. I liked the stress monsters popping out of their pores when they're stressed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

Yeah, absolutely. They're assholes but there's not a lot of soul crushing hopelessness 2-3 times an episode.

Except that subplot with the wall.

(Which was great, except the ending, which sucked.)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just finished Haunting of Bly Manor, overall I thought it was pretty mediocre. It's hard to get interested in anyone's death or relationship when none of the characters have any real personality or substance

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Except that subplot with the wall.

(Which was great, except the ending, which sucked.)

At first, I thought the wall would be a one-off.

It wasn't. :stare:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So Avenue 5 is looking more and more prophetic.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I forgot Avenue 5 even existed, it seems like it's been ages since it came out. Are we getting another season of it or did it get cancelled?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jingleheimer posted:

I forgot Avenue 5 even existed, it seems like it's been ages since it came out. Are we getting another season of it or did it get cancelled?

It got renewed but production was probably slowed by the pandemic. Like I saw an article about how Doom Patrol was just now going into production for s3 even though it was renewed months ago.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Filming for Avenue 5's second season was underway back in December. No idea how it's going though.

I get the feeling it's one of those productions that HBO's going to continue come Hell or high water, given how many problems there were with the production of the show. Building super expensive sets for a nine episode comedy is one thing, but doing it twice is next level.

The entire spaceship is apparently only a couple of enormous setbuilds, including all the behind the scenes spaces you see at the very end of the first season. Their designer was talking about building it so that future directors would still be able to find new places to film the show come future seasons, but had actually been part of the set all along.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 7, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Didn't that set, you know, burn down?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mulva posted:

Didn't that set, you know, burn down?

Partly yeah. They've rebuilt it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I feel like a partly charred set could be written into that show.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Open Source Idiom posted:

So Avenue 5 is looking more and more prophetic.

Armando Iannucci keeps trying to do satire but we don't live in a world that allows satire anymore.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Avenue 5 gave me such a sense of dread I am shocked every time I remember it was a 2020 show and it moves up another spot on my list...probably be top 3 by the time I post.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Well some good news to start the year out (Master of None season 3). By far one of the my favorite Netflix shows.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/01/07/47610/aziz_ansaris_master_of_none_to_return

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So was he cleared of being a sex pest then? I've lost track.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Netflix released a stand-up special from him a year and a half ago, and even said around when it originally happened that they would keep working with him. Deliberately not getting into a debate about the actual allegation but I assume that’ll happen without me so have fun everyone

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

They should just make the show all about Lena Waithe anyway

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Netflix released a stand-up special from him a year and a half ago, and even said around when it originally happened that they would keep working with him. Deliberately not getting into a debate about the actual allegation but I assume that’ll happen without me so have fun everyone

Nah I just didn't know. I'll take it over to the Hollywood rapist thread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Being the super-mega Times Up guy who professed to doing a huge amount of research to write a book about modern dating who freely admits he kept grinning while pointing to his junk and said "hey are you gonna blow me now?" during a first date he never ascended to true sex pest status and dodged the calls for cancellation.

It's more of a personal choice about someone who's private life was disclosed and they did gross things but didn't commit crimes, so you have to decide based on that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

All his Parks and Rec co-stars back him up and the company that reported the story doesn't exist anymore and the writer quit writing. I think Amy Poehler wouldn't go anywhere near him if there was even a whiff of bullshit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay then. I just hadn't seen an update.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really liked season 1, season 2 was a bit more hit or miss, especially the ending. And I think the Italian woman was written pretty badly in season 2, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The creator may be a huge chud, but I'll be damned if the intro/theme song for the Dilbert show isn't really goddman good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpivIYJFjd4

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Okay then. I just hadn't seen an update.

I hadn't either. I don't think i ever saw season 2 of that show, was it any good?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I know Stuart D Baker (Unknown Hinson) showed himself to be an rear end in a top hat but I've been rewatching Squidbillies on HBO Max and it still holds up. Although something weird I've noticed is that earlier seasons censor swears but starting in season 7 they stop. The first time Rusty says gently caress I wasn't sure I heard it right.

One thing that's probably confusing to people who are just coming to the series now is how after a certain point the characters start using "Cheyenne Cinnamon" merchandise which was from a failed pilot for an Adult Swim show.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

So I know Stuart D Baker (Unknown Hinson) showed himself to be an rear end in a top hat but I've been rewatching Squidbillies on HBO Max and it still holds up. Although something weird I've noticed is that earlier seasons censor swears but starting in season 7 they stop. The first time Rusty says gently caress I wasn't sure I heard it right.

One thing that's probably confusing to people who are just coming to the series now is how after a certain point the characters start using "Cheyenne Cinnamon" merchandise which was from a failed pilot for an Adult Swim show.

It's one of the most accurate depictions of the rural south ever.

Note: Am rural southerner.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I aint won jak a lot from the squattery thle lottery should be the jak squattery cause i aynt jack squattin a lot they should rename the lottry to the jack squattery cuz thats all i ever win in it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I lived in central Florida for 3 years and wouldn't blink twice if I saw a truck-boat-truck on I4.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Hell, when Cheyenne Cinnamon aired I think it specifically aired as just a weird dead pilot on one of their pilot nights, which made the later Squidbillies references weird meta stuff even at the time.

For Southern stuff, even though they eventually made Dan Halen a literal incarnation of evil, I liked the early depiction of the relatively small businessman who somehow ran the entire town. I felt heard after "her uncle owns the big car wash" was enough to make someone in my high school untouchable. Also Early getting deep into convenience store video poker.

Shame about Unknown Hinson. I honestly thought his parody songs were kind of fun too, since he's basically been playing an Early style character for years. Except apparently it wasn't really all parody. I'd like to know if it was the old chestnut of irony just being a smokescreen or if his brain broke in the last couple of years. On the bright side, they already replaced two voice actors on the show so if they need to replace him it's not like it's unprecedented. They'll just have to do another trip to the clone farms.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Watched "Call me Kat" which is terrible remake of the British show "Miranda" that I have no idea why it needs to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm really glad Cheyenne Cinnamon didn't get a show, there's a lot of "humor" about having sex with children in that pilot.