Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Thanks for the 32 heat advice, I appreciate it. I will show my friend Skelly just how much I care about his cool and massively expensive statues

If it helps: I maxed tight deadline. I might be imagining things, but I found that with 2 points it allowed more enemies than I could reliably clear in time to upgrade the plume. With all 3 points, there seemed that be significantly less enemies and if I was clearing rooms quick enough to boost the plume—I’d be just fine on the 5min timer per zone. This for a guy who never uses even 1 point in TD otherwise because of unforced errors from feeling the need to rush.

I also have a question for the thread. If you are using beowulf shield or hera bow, and you have ravenous will...do you get the boost if you have “0” casts on hand because they are loaded in the weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So my strategy is usually notoriously One Button; I will pour basically all my resources into either attack, special, or cast, and win the run by pressing that button at the expense of all other attack buttons. It has carried me through many runs so far, but today, I've finally begun warming up to more holistic strategies. The Talos run I had just now was crazy complex, using my fists to apply jolted, my special to apply chill and magnetize, and throwing out Artemis casts just to get bloodstones on the field so Lightning Rod would take effect, using all of the above to build up my God Gage to unleash massive hangover, which in turn enhanced my strength and movement after I used it, which was usually long enough to get another charge. It sounds complicated, and it was, but man it was fun, and I burned through Hades with shocking speed.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I generally do the same thing which is my excuse for sucking at Chiron bow so badly. I've been practicing with it a few runs in a row to try to get a rhythm and it's pretty gnarly when you build it right. Fists is another one that is tempting to play like that and you sort of can if you get the aoe effect hammer for it but one thing I realised quite early is the actual reach and speed of the fists attack is so good you absolutely are doing yourself a disservice by not using it unless you can compensate somewhat by having your special hit an area

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Does the boiling blood debuff stack as you shove more bloodstones into the same opponent?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ibblebibble posted:

Does the boiling blood debuff stack as you shove more bloodstones into the same opponent?

No.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
THEY DON'T?

edit: THEY DON'T. WOW IM DUMB

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just unlocked the Spear, seems pretty good!

When people talk about doing builds focused around a specific God or two, what's the reasoning behind that? I get that each God has a theme for all of their boons, but while they have similar effects they don't feel like they're really complementary at first glance, at least on paper. As far as I can tell there isn't, for example, a Zeus boon that buffs all of your Lightning damage, something that would be better the more Zeus boons you picked up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Certain gods have additional Boons which only appear if you take multiple primary attack/cast/dash Boons from them. Per your example, there's a Zeus Boon that increases the size of lightning strikes and another that adds a chance for each to strike twice, both of which only appear if you start taking multiple Zeus Boons. One reason to focus on such a thing over other options could be forcing an additional effect triggering on lighting hits to happen as often as possible (from another God, or Chaos, or your weapon).

edit: grammar hard

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 7, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You will get access to a boon list later, and yes there is a boon that will make you lightning effects proc twice, one that will add another damaging status effect for every lightning strike, and then a legendary boon that will add another lightning strike on top of everything

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

after 100 runs I have finally achieved my goal and caught a stonewhal

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have never caught a single rare fish and I think I probably never will. I lack the ability to react as quickly as apparently I need to, and frankly it's infuriating that God Mode doesn't fix this.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

zagreus ain’t the god of fishing :colbert:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That’s interesting. I’ve never once hit the button too late but I’ve lost more than my fair share of fish for reeling too early.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

There are only a few patterns for fishing... for instance if there are two bobs, then a long pause, there will be one more bob and shortly afterward a bite.

Dec 25, 2020

besides keepsakes, and the dice, are there any particular tricks to getting the boons you want?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Chairchucker posted:

I have never caught a single rare fish and I think I probably never will. I lack the ability to react as quickly as apparently I need to, and frankly it's infuriating that God Mode doesn't fix this.

Fish can only nibble three times before they bite. If you get faked out three times then you know the next flash is something you should grab, and you can react quickly enough to get a rare.

Also, nibbles tend to be spread out farther than bites, but this isn't absolute.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Glazius posted:

and you can react quickly enough

see that's where you're wrong tho

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I died way too many times while playing drunk over Christmas and now god mode has made the game a joke and I switched it off and I forgot that it's actually hard. I'm already done with everything so the challenge is the only thing left so it was a no brainer but I forgot how demoralising dying on a run can be

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
The biggest protip to fishing I find is to not look at it bob in the water at all.
Focus at the clear space between the rod and the water.
Hit your key when you see the white flash.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
New to the game and rogue likes. Made it to the 4th zone on my second run, and after 20+ runs I haven't been able to get past the 2nd zone again. Is it just rng on boons and drops, or is there a power progression system that carries between games I'm missing?

Plenty of runs where I'm up to my ears in dumb poo poo like Drunken Slowed Enemies but I haven't gotten one tiny bit of bonus damage so enemies take 5, 10 seconds of whaling on

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Could be weapons, could be boons, could be the way you play (which is affected by weapons/boons).

On my 3rd? 4th? playthrough I managed to get to the last area, then after losing I was hardstuck on the third area (sometimes couldn't even get past the second). Then I managed to win (albeit with God Mode) by trying out a different, safer playstyle/weapon.

Now I can make it to the last area now and then depending on what I'm playing with.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

There's a whole second set of talents in the mirror in your bedroom. They're generally mostly not as good as the first ones bit some of them are quite good in niche situations. That's the biggest one I can think of. You've fully unlocked the first set of mirror talents right? Sorry if that's condescending but making it to styx on the second run is impressive and I'm surprised you'd struggle at that skill level if you were following the natural mirror darkness progression. I started a new save file before I realised I could just switch off god mode and I made it to Elysium and died to the first spear dude I saw on my second run

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 7, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I had an incredible set of boons and just did mega ultra damage before anything could touch me.

Couple dozen runs after I'm just getting stuff that Slows enemies or casts Reflect or makes my special do 1 point of zappy damage

If rng is the name of the game that's totally fine, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a gameplay aspect. Rough luck on drops and you're basically hitting em with a wet noodle!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My fishing reaction time advice is, and I promise I'm not joking when I say this, to try to parry the fish. Treat it mentally like it's an enemy about to attack you and you're going to do an Athena deflect.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I managed to do 32 heat without Extreme Measures 4 (Which is way harder than the points you get for it) and without Forced Overtime 2 (Which again is way harder than the points you get for it imo)

This did mean I had to turn on practically every other effect though, which gave me a combination of "boons only have one choice" (Absolutely crippling), "Sell boons every floor" (And I already had poo poo boons) and "Turn off the mirror talents that give better boons and rerolls" which was the cherry on top and made the run super super luck dependent.

I would've rather gone back and made the game harder (enemies hit harder or have more HP) than rely THAT hard on luck. Or go all in and just do a boonless run with Sisyphus keepsake at that point why not

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I had an incredible set of boons and just did mega ultra damage before anything could touch me.

Couple dozen runs after I'm just getting stuff that Slows enemies or casts Reflect or makes my special do 1 point of zappy damage

If rng is the name of the game that's totally fine, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a gameplay aspect. Rough luck on drops and you're basically hitting em with a wet noodle!

Pretty much like me, I managed to get all the way to Theseus on my third run ever because I picked up the Cursed Blade upgrade for the sword and it turns out that a constant source of sustain is really good when you're new.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Forced Overtime 2 (Which again is way harder than the points you get for it imo)

I'm convinced that this game does not speed enemies up "correctly," at least on the switch version. I was playing with Benefits Package and got some sped up buff dudes, and I swear I was taking damage from them before they actually swung their club. The actual hitboxes for the attacks seem to be sped up more than the animations. This is even true for Zagreus; you can see it when you have Quake Cutter and get a rare or epic Hermes on your special. The AOE explosion starts coming out out before Zagreus actually lands.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Followed the thread's advice on Pacts and loadout and made it to EM4 Hades!! I lost on Phase 3 and it took 48 minutes to make it that far but I was surprised how much easier a time I had without Forced Overtime.

edit: I went with EM4 since I actually find EM4 Hades a little easier than the default, more attacks for his combos sure but he nearly always does all of the combo so you get huge windows to hit him if you dodge the whole chain. Tons of time to just smack him as he runs/dashes for the spear after tossing it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 7, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

C-Euro posted:

Just unlocked the Spear, seems pretty good!

When people talk about doing builds focused around a specific God or two, what's the reasoning behind that? I get that each God has a theme for all of their boons, but while they have similar effects they don't feel like they're really complementary at first glance, at least on paper. As far as I can tell there isn't, for example, a Zeus boon that buffs all of your Lightning damage, something that would be better the more Zeus boons you picked up.

it's not this 1:1, but it's definitely there. Instead of a raw boost, it's more of adding synergizing effects. it's usually more like:

- Boon lets you apply secondary effects with attacks
- Second boon enhances those secondary effects

So like, Aphrodite's main boons let you weaken opponents, and has other boons that make weakened opponents take more damage, easier to crit, etc. Zeus lets you shoot lots of thunderbolts, and lets thunderbolts essentially set a landmine on your enemies. Poseidon's main boons give you knockback effects, and his other boons make knockback effects better by applying a debuff, increasing wall-slam damage, making wall slams send out a shockwave, etc. Demeter's main boons chill, and her secondaries can turn chill into a DoT effect or set off a mini-nuke at a number of stacks. Artemis's secondaries make crits better or more likely.

Etc. etc.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also some gods (Zeus, Poseidon) strongly reward just getting a whole lot more of the same god, because you know there's a whole stable of good second-tier boons you can take after you have the first, while others reward synergy with other gods more

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 7, 2021

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Plenty of runs where I'm up to my ears in dumb poo poo like Drunken Slowed Enemies but I haven't gotten one tiny bit of bonus damage so enemies take 5, 10 seconds of whaling on

RNG affects everything, but it would be extremely unlikely to not come across at least some boons that allow you to output a lot more damage. I vastly prefer Hades to most other roguelikes because RNG plays a smaller role.

Note that lots of stuff can output damage besides your primary attack. Casts can do a ton of damage if you're about to pom them up a few times. I've also had runs where Poseidon's dash boon ended up being my most effective attack

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 7, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, I'd say, for instance, Athena doesn't really need a lot of additional boons.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also the blessings can have interesting combinatory effects with the hammer. For instance, rapid fire hammer effects work better with something like Zeus which applies a flat damage bonus with each hit (and which catches nearby enemies in the crossfire) but pairs poorly with Ares, whose effect doesn't really stack and has a time delay before it takes effect. Ares damage boosts work best with slow, high damage weapons or skirmishing hit and run tactics enabled by, for instance, hammer effects on dash attacks.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ares, whose effect doesn't really stack and has a time delay before it takes effect. Ares damage boosts work best with slow, high damage weapons or skirmishing hit and run tactics enabled by, for instance, hammer effects on dash attacks.

I would say Ares is extremely bad for slow, high damage weapons, you want him on fast AoE attacks so you can consistently reapply Doom between heavy attacks.

Heavy attacks benefit most from gods with damage modifiers like Athena. Ares and Dio sadly do not.

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 7, 2021

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Merciful End is just absurd. With Ares on fists, Athena on dash, and 3 extra dashes from Hermes, I burned down EX Dad so fast that I actually got a Plume boop on him for the first time ever. And apparently this is the nerfed version of this ability? It used to be even stronger?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tetrabor posted:

I would say Ares is extremely bad for slow, high damage weapons, you want him on fast AoE attacks so you can consistently reapply Doom between heavy attacks.

Heavy attacks benefit most from gods with damage modifiers like Athena, Ares and Dio sadly do not.

i was playing around with Ares on Hidden Bow special and it's a lot of fun for just this reason, very easy to apply Doom quickly to big crowds

Spergatory posted:

Merciful End is just absurd. With Ares on fists, Athena on dash, and 3 extra dashes from Hermes, I burned down EX Dad so fast that I actually got a Plume boop on him for the first time ever. And apparently this is the nerfed version of this ability? It used to be even stronger?

i think for speedrunners it's still the fastest DPS you can output with a bunch of weapons, with the main issue being that it's really hard to guarantee you actually get it soon enough in a run to take advantage of it enough

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 7, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Never mind, was speaking of the pre-nerf version! It doesn't work that way anymore!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 7, 2021

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
12.5 hours in and I still haven't beaten Theseus that's bad right? I spent 5 titan blood on the chaos shield and now I'll never get any more cuz I'm Bad. Is this one of those games where there's no Better Way to level up etc or am I completely missing something (besides skill)?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

scuz posted:

12.5 hours in and I still haven't beaten Theseus that's bad right? I spent 5 titan blood on the chaos shield and now I'll never get any more cuz I'm Bad. Is this one of those games where there's no Better Way to level up etc or am I completely missing something (besides skill)?

Nah, you'll get there. Work on mirror upgrades first, that helps a ton. Really take advantage of the 20% darkness bonus with weapon selection. And don't worry about Titan's blood, there's so much of it once you start learning how to reliably complete runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
What is killing you? If it's always Two Men then you can learn their tells, if you're always crawling to the end of Elysium with low health you can target things to protect against attrition on the mirror or via keepsakes, if specific things take a big toll you can avoid them as much as possible. I used to pass on Trial of the Gods 90% of the time.