Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

They should really make the game harder or slower or preferrably both. The game simply is not interesting at all in it's current state.

It's in a really difficult place; it's hard to go back, as people become tolerant, adapted, and numb to the clear and movement speed (just think how awful it feels on the strand when you reroll or in a new league, especially until you get your first quicksilver).

The other big casualty of the fast pace is the closing off of crowd-control effects design space. What's the point of stuns or slows if everything is dead the frame it appears on screen or even screens away? Freeze is most useful for shattering to avoid corpse effects, rather than cc utility. Boss fights are the only slow enough encounters for cc to matter, but for balance it is not very effective against bosses outside of certain niche builds. More dps is the best way to manage boss fights, which also improves clear speed.

It would need a big reset rather than just a dialling back, I think, as creep and build efficiency keep pushing forward. Plus dialling back speed would just feel worse to players than the current situation, if it doesn't accompany a more substantial change to combat flow and mechanics that embed a slowdown in a coherent context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd be okay with the top-end of movement and clearspeed being toned down if it meant the early game was toned up.

Characters default movement is slooooow, bump default movement speed by 30% and have every character start the game with a quicksilver flask on character creation you cowards.

2 out of 3 friends I showed the game got bored and quit by the end of act 1 or 2, I imagine that's the case for a lot of people who first try the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 7, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching the Twitch Reveal of 3.13 for 30 min. rewards Magma Wings MTX.
Schedule: Jan 7, 11 AM PST until 2 PM PST.
Announcement: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3007468
Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/pathofexile
Linking Twitch to PoE: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3007256

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I dont see a downside of spawning you with a QS flask.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just increase base movement by 20-25% and nerf all movement mods by at least 25-50% (and just eliminate a lot of them)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wuxi posted:

Leveling quickly and efficiently can be done with a lot of different skills, but never only one skill. That said, for every archetype there is one 'best' way to get through the story fast (or to hit the level where your actual main skill becomes viable to use)

For example TR/CA (and all chaos DoT Shadows and Rangers):
Lvl 1: Caustic Arrow + Pierce
Lvl 4: Caustic Arrow + Pierce + Onslaught
Puncture + Chance to Bleed + Shrapnel Ballista (replace Chance to Bleed with Lesser Poison as Shadow)
Dash
Lvl 8: Replace Onslaught with Void Manipulation once your initial hits aren't good enough to keep up Onslaught anymore
Lvl 10: Replace Dash with Smoke Mine (if you don't like Smoke Mine pick up Flame Dash as Shadow or stick with Dash as Ranger)
Pick up Vitality
Lvl 12: Replace the Puncture setup with Toxic Rain + Blastchain Mine + Void Manipulation (or Toxic Rain + Mirage Archer + Void Manipulation/Onslaught/Chance to Bleed if you don't like mines)
Lvl 16: Pick up Skitterbots + Blood Rage
Lvl 18: Replace Void Manipulation with Vicious Projectiles
Lvl 24: Pick up Despair
Add Void Manipulation/Efficacy/Vicious Projectiles as your 4L to CA and TR (depending on the colours available)

You can switch to ED/C or Poison BV at 38 (Increased Area and Unleash) or keep trucking on till Blood Aqueducts and switch then.

I can do this for all archetypes/classes if there's interest

if you could do a very broad spellslinger start Id enjoy that. I've never done one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nobody is worried about the people who can't make it through the first couple of acts

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

nobody is worried about the people who can't make it through the first couple of acts

I imagine GGG should be, since they don't want players to get turned off the game in the first couple hours of playing it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

Watching the Twitch Reveal of 3.13 for 30 min. rewards Magma Wings MTX.
Schedule: Jan 7, 11 AM PST until 2 PM PST.
Announcement: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3007468
Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/pathofexile
Linking Twitch to PoE: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3007256

3 hours to reveal an expansion? PoE2 confirmed

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My very safe bet is that Echoes of the Atlas is the expansion with the new atlas mechanics and Ritual is the league, maybe there's like one eye item that you use to summon a demon or whatever and that one thing is why Bex talked about eyes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just stealing poo poo from disc:

Renegade Supporter Pack:

https://web.poecdn.com/image/shop/pack/ritual/deadlyrenegadepack.webm

Elite Faithsworn Supporter Pack:

https://web.poecdn.com/image/shop/pack/ritual/elitefaithswornpack.webm

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I dunno about those sets, feels pretty same-y vs. a lot of the stuff I already have

That light theme helmet is pretty nice, and the portal effect is neat.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

STiL. posted:

Holy Flame Totem with Flame Wall is very comfy right now and might be the best starting skills for a spell-based marauder.

Marauder has a pretty weak pool of starter spells, yeah. The key for him, and to a lesser extent almost any caster early on, is using multiple skills. Less true if you've got a 6link handy, but if you're just on 3 or 4links it's pretty effective to run 2 skills for a while. Orb of storms, fire trap, flame wall, flame totem, storm brand are all skills that you can throw around without aiming much to get better pack clear while you keep moving. Then for bosses you just pile them on top of whatever your main skill is. Becomes less important once you get your main skill into a 4l with 3 good supports, but even then if you've got the spare slots it can be worth doing for a while.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

STiL. posted:

Holy Flame Totem with Flame Wall is very comfy right now and might be the best starting skills for a spell-based marauder.

The tree for Holy Flame Totem is also somewhat similar to BV/Blade Blast so respecing isn't expensive.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

search engine posted:

Marauder has a pretty weak pool of starter spells, yeah. The key for him, and to a lesser extent almost any caster early on, is using multiple skills. Less true if you've got a 6link handy, but if you're just on 3 or 4links it's pretty effective to run 2 skills for a while. Orb of storms, fire trap, flame wall, flame totem, storm brand are all skills that you can throw around without aiming much to get better pack clear while you keep moving. Then for bosses you just pile them on top of whatever your main skill is. Becomes less important once you get your main skill into a 4l with 3 good supports, but even then if you've got the spare slots it can be worth doing for a while.

yea i took maruader out for a spin as a "starter" during mayhem and infinite delve and it's very miserable the first 3 acts. there just isn't any juicy damage nodes near your tree start. spell/ignite builds are missing some key support gems. even a melee maruader start is loving rough

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Melee starts in general are pretty pitiful, and that's almost all I do. Ground slam or perforate are ok but they also limit your weapon selection at a time when you really just want to use whatever least-horrible rare pops up first. I like frost blades enough to mule it over to a marauder or templar. It's weapon agnostic and has better range than anything else early on. Sucks rear end for single target though, so bring along ancestral protector - maim and maybe also perforate crammed wherever you can fit it.

search engine fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 7, 2021

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I haven't played a ton of melee builds but I have to think there's a way to balance skills in a way where the weapon limitations are unnecessary. If you can use a mace or staff with a skill named "Frost Blades" I don't see any arguments to be made for limiting by weapon type. Perforate requiring a sword or axe doesn't make sense, you're just smashing the ground to cause spikes to come up. A staff/mace make more sense for doing that than a sword IMO.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The rustic sash recipe will carry you a long time wrt weapons

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Has anyone ever been able to make a Kinetic Bolt wander work? I love how the skill looks but I just can't figure out where it would shine as opposed to any other wand skill.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
ABLS

Always
Be
Leap
Slamming

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the patch the made leap slam good is one of the great patches

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

External Organs posted:

Has anyone ever been able to make a Kinetic Bolt wander work? I love how the skill looks but I just can't figure out where it would shine as opposed to any other wand skill.

Mathil did one in either heist or harvest but I don’t think it was super great.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Generally having knowledge about common layouts, good inventory management and just a general idea of what you're doing will make you faster than just using the strongest skills for any given moment, but using a strong setup will make the early game feel a lot smoother and thats worth something too.
Don't forget to pick up your future main skills and level them in your 2nd weapon set, so you don't have to rely on at best vendor level spells when you make the switch.
If you don't have the currency to buy every skill thats mentioned, they're listed in order of importance. Having the currency you need when you need it is one of the biggest things for going fast, at least for the first 3/4 acts, but its not always easy or even possible - there's nothing you can do if you don't get an Alch or Essence in the first two acts, even if its unlikely
Always check vendors for the 3L colour combinations you need and 10% movement speed boots in A1 (especially on wands) and for 4L from lvl24 on when you're in town anyway.
Don't wear body armour early, unless its the only way for you to get the links you need.
Know how many Transmutes and Alterations you need when and plan accordingly. Most builds need a bunch of Transmutes after Brutus and a bunch of Alterations at lvl16/18/20. Unidentified magic/rare items sell for Transmute Shards, identified items sell for Alteration Shards and Blacksmith's Whetstones/Armourer's Scraps (+surplus Transmutes) sell for the ID scrolls you need.

The meta Spellcaster
The colours you're looking for early are BBG, BGG and BBB.

Lvl 2: Freezing Pulse + Onslaught as Scion
Freezing Pulse + Onslaught + Arcane Surge as Witch
Freezing Pulse + Elemental Penetration Support as Templar
Stormblast Mine + Lesser Poison Support as Shadow
Lvl 4: Frost Bomb + Onslaught + Frost Blink
Freezing Pulse + Arcane Surge + Orb of Storms
Stormblast Mine + Swift Assembly + Lesser Poison
Lvl 8: Orb of Storms + Arcane Surge + Added Lightning, drop Freezing Pulse
Lvl 10: Flame Dash + Arcane Surge, drop Frost Blink
Pick up a Jade Amulet (as Witch)
Pick up Smoke Mine (as Witch/Shadow)
Pick up Vitality (if you have spare Transmutes)
Lvl 16: Pick up Skitterbots
Pick up Herald of Ash (level in your 2nd weapon set)
Lvl 18: Pick up Trap and Mine Damage (as Shadow)
Pick up Faster Casting (as Scion/Witch/Templar)
Buy Trap and Mine Damage (as Scion/Witch/Templar, if you have at least 3 Alterations)
Stormblast Mine + Swift Assembly + Trap and Mine Damage
Lvl 20: Craft two lvl20 Fire Damage wands*
Lvl 24: Pick up Flammability (or Elemental Weakness if you feel like you need extra damage right now)
Lvl 28/31: Pick up Armageddon Brand, Cremation, Swiftbrand, Pinpoint, Combustion, Desecrate, Controlled Destruction and Faster Casting (as Shadow)
Armageddon Brand + Swiftbrand + Onslaught (+ Faster Casting as your 4L)
Cremation + Pinpoint + Combustion (+ Controlled Destruction as your 4L)
Start using Herald of Ash
Drop Orb of Storms, Frost Bomb and Stormblast Mine
Get Second Wind if you still have an Orb of Chance left (you most likely wont)
Flame Dash + Smoke Mine + Second Wind
Flammability + Arcane Surge
If you only have 2 Orb of Chance drop Pinpoint for Lesser Multiple Projectiles
If you only have 1 Orb of Chance drop Swiftbrand for Faster Casting and add Elemental Focus as your 4L
Don't forget that you can buy Chances for Fusings and Fusings for Jewellers (and so on) in town. Fusings especially aren't really anymore than glorified Chance orbs in the early game.
~Lvl 32: Do Lab and ascend

This setup will get you through the entire campaign with ease. Flame Dash/Smoke Mine + Second Wind is as fast as you can possibly go, Armageddon Brand gives you great clear and permanent Onslaught till at least maps and Cremation melts bosses. Doing the Library quest will hurt your time somewhat, but this is for a fast and effective league start and not racing.
In order to get Onslaught on a Witch you need to start a Scion, kill Hillock and mule over all the goodies. This will cost you ~2 minutes. You will get another free check for the 3L you need/movement speed boots and having reliable Onslaught will make those 2 minutes up in no time.

*the vendor recipe for the lvl20 wands is: Magic Wand + Orb of Alteration + rare Ruby ring. Save any Alchs or Essences you find along the way for this. To get a Ruby Ring you can sell an Iron Ring + any red skill/support gem.
Do NOT augment these wands, use the open suffix to bench craft whatever resistances you need. As above with Chances you can buy Alchs with Regrets and Regrets with Scourings.
If you have really good currency management (or got lucky drops) you can also craft the level 8 version on one of your wands before Brutus, preferably cold: Magic Wand + Orb of Alteration + normal Sapphire Ring. Turn the same wand into the lvl20 fire version later to save a Transmute.

Some early game PoBs:
Witch
Templar
Shadow
Scion
These have trees for Merveil/Vaal Oversoul/Piety/Lab and give you all the important nodes for fast leveling (Dark Arts and Elemental Overload), while at most needing 10 respec points, so you don't have to spend any Regrets after hitting BA/maps. You can freely spend points going for whatever build you want in the endgame, but don't forget that you'll be using fire spells for at least the next few hours. The trees expect you to kill all bandits, but if you're going for a crit build just help Alira. Its equally as strong during the campaign anyway.
I included Scion, but don't league start as Scion. Its not fun

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's super useful Wuxi, thank you.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

The rustic sash recipe will carry you a long time wrt weapons

TIL

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It makes any phys based attack easy to get to like. . . maps?

It was really good in Harvest because you could roll a nice Phys% and then add more phys or whatever with the easy exalts they gave you while leveling.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

They actually own with the new Vitality since they never die past level 10 anymore. Precision makes them never miss and later you can do Pride, Melee Splash, and CurseOnHit-Vortex-Vulnerabilry on left mouse button if you want to just run past everything as zombies mop up. Carrion Golem with Feeding Frenzy gives them a huge boost as well.

edit: why the gently caress is montregrul's grasp level 68 though instead of like a leveling rare?

Smite/zombs is my goto starter config, especially with templar. And yeah, early poo poo like hop, banners, vit and precision all work wonderfully with it

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wuxi posted:

amazing amazing amazing amazing

thank you so much! it's hard to communicate that there are tree nodes you usually always take for ES/Life/Mana but hard to also communicate that your build may include something like Chaos Immunity where HP is not needed, it sure is helpful before you get it.

Question: Why the body armor thing unless for links? don't you want at least want a something to give life/def/resistance? is it because of the situation where if you find an amazing resistance piece, it will be hard to switch away from it because you would then have to do a refit of all your other gear?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Body armors have a movement speed penalty. If you're allocating Art of the Gladiator this doesn't matter though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My opinion on movespeed oscillates between 'lol it's only 3% who cares' to 'WHAT THE gently caress WHY AM I SO SLOW' at random intervals when leveling.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vasudus posted:

My opinion on movespeed oscillates between 'lol it's only 3% who cares' to 'WHAT THE gently caress WHY AM I SO SLOW' at random intervals when leveling.

And "Oh, I should probably go get flame dash instead of frost blink, I'm level 60"

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Wuxi posted:

Generally having knowledge

:mods: :mods: Please could we have a thread where there are only posts like this :mods: :mods:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Wuxi posted:

great post

I put this in the 2nd post and if you end up doing any more I'll include those too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Devor posted:

And "Oh, I should probably go get flame dash instead of frost blink, I'm level 60"

I will not sit by and take these blatant personal attacks.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Devor posted:

I'm guilty of the life flasks one but thankfully not really this one. Being able to hop walls 3 times in a row is too worth.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I think I'll probably start Zombies this league and transition into spectres. While its not the fastest start, it is the easiest and cheapest build to scale into red maps before making a second build.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

TyrantWD posted:

I think I'll probably start Zombies this league and transition into spectres. While its not the fastest start, it is the easiest and cheapest build to scale into red maps before making a second build.

It it's a generic minion tree build levelling with skeletons makes it much much smoother.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitch.tv/mathil1

Stream in 10 minutes plus mathil is dressed up as ... well uh

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitch.tv/pathofexile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow