Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Tankakern posted:

doesn't that take away the ps1 experience though

not drinking methanol also kind of takes away the speakeasy experience, buuuuuut...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

affine texture mapping is aesthetic as hell

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I recognize the aesthetic but I can’t think of any games that are affine textured.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I recognize the aesthetic but I can’t think of any games that are affine textured.

minesweeper?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

PSX isn't based on quads

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, that image doesn't show it correctly. this is the method the psx uses

i definitely remember those warped projections

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

i suspect that a lot of people don't know that tony is short for anthony.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyHopkins/status/1344802775306100736

dick kyanka

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I loving HATED that game despite putting hundreds of hours into beating it. Retro games aren't necessarily good, we just had no better options at the time.

retro games are almost universally bad. even the “good” ones would still be considered worthless garbage if released today

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly at this point, there are probably people who are nostalgic for the way early emulators messed certain things up on games

omg

i struggle to believe there are people who are nostalgic for ps1 graphics but i bet there are

Agile Vector posted:

an upgrade from their 'old milk jug left outside' npcs

fuckin lol

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, that image doesn't show it correctly. this is the method the psx uses

i definitely remember those warped projections

what’s going on here?

when does far cry 6 come out i think i got it free with my processor but have to wait for it to exist first

people back int the day couldn’t tell the difference between a challenge and having fun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

what’s going on here?

different methods of projecting a 2D texture into perspective space. affine mapping, in the center, transforms the texture by doing a simple linear interpolation across the polygon (i.e. the checkerboard gets scaled and skewed, but each square in it is still the same size as all the others). this sort of works but it looks bizarre up close because the foreshortening is not correct, and it's especially noticeable when you put two polygons beside one another. proper perspective mapping, on the right, varies the scale of the texture continuously according to the angle, so the squares closer to the camera are larger. this looks correct.

affine mapping was used by the playstation because it is computationally cheaper than perspective mapping. this gave psx games a unique sort of wobbly aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pm8GNfquEk

more here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_mapping#Affine_texture_mapping

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also i don't know if i'm just missing the point here or what but i think both of these are wrong. i made this version instead; the bottom is perspective mapping and the top is affine mapping of a quad (with some distortion because of the warp tool). notice how the size of each square is an equal fraction of the edge it's on, rather than each one being foreshortened.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've always found it pleasing when an artist drew plaid/chequered like this (the cowboy costume):

e: I always thought there was just one Tintin but appears there were several Tinstin!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

different methods of projecting a 2D texture into perspective space. affine mapping, in the center, transforms the texture by doing a simple linear interpolation across the polygon (i.e. the checkerboard gets scaled and skewed, but each square in it is still the same size as all the others). this sort of works but it looks bizarre up close because the foreshortening is not correct, and it's especially noticeable when you put two polygons beside one another. proper perspective mapping, on the right, varies the scale of the texture continuously according to the angle, so the squares closer to the camera are larger. this looks correct.

affine mapping was used by the playstation because it is computationally cheaper than perspective mapping. this gave psx games a unique sort of wobbly aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pm8GNfquEk

more here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_mapping#Affine_texture_mapping

thankyou for this

oh I just got it. it was the two triangles making a square that was getting in the way of me understanding what it was trying to do. imo the example would be clearer if it was just a lone triangle. maybe

its godawful to look at lol

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've always found it pleasing when an artist drew plaid/chequered like this (the cowboy costume):

e: I always thought there was just one Tintin but appears there were several Tinstin!

I always felt like the sales dude from the monkey island games had a screen mapped plaid shirt.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 7, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

I always felt like the sales dude from the monkey island games had a screen mapped plaid shirt.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the pattern of the plaid shirt staying still while the guy frantically gesticulates is a fuckin great visual goof

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echinopsis posted:

dick kyanka

retro games are almost universally bad. even the “good” ones would still be considered worthless garbage if released today

omg

i struggle to believe there are people who are nostalgic for ps1 graphics but i bet there are

fuckin lol

what’s going on here?

when does far cry 6 come out i think i got it free with my processor but have to wait for it to exist first

people back int the day couldn’t tell the difference between a challenge and having fun

no one can have this many bad video game takes. please do not troll

thank you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bideo james

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

this dude is making a cool game using ps1 gfx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qB3CNvOoGg

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

polyester concept posted:

this dude is making a cool game using ps1 gfx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qB3CNvOoGg
not watching because i prefer to think it's Xavier: Renegade Angel: the Game

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Kenny Logins posted:

not watching because i prefer to think it's Xavier: Renegade Angel: the Game

Looks about as appealing.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

echinopsis posted:

dick kyanka

omg

fuckin lol

what’s going on here?

I definitely have nostalgia for ps1 and Saturn era graphics. ps1 was the first system I worked for and got myself so there’s a lot of sentimentality to it too I guess

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

PS1 is my favorite console and its graphics are 100% my aesthetic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ps1 graphics rule. as do n64. they are all a product of their time, they all look bad today. that’s fine because the aesthetic can be appreciated separate from and outside of 4K ray traced graphics

I also feel like when we hit the ps2, we kind of started iterating on the same thing.

ps2 graphics in general, mostly look like what we have today at lower fidelity, vertices and resolutions.

think of how good GameCube and Wii games look scaled to 4K in an emulator. things haven’t changed a lot

ps1 and n64 and previous consoles looked wildly different and I feel like we won’t see that jump from 16 bit sprites to 32 and 64 bit polygons again

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

echinopsis posted:

lol just loving lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if Wild Strawberries were released today it would be immediately discarded as trash. there isnt a single fight sequence and it doesnt tie into the MCU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

don't count out the dreamcast, which had the best fighting game ever made soulcalibur

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

PSX isn't based on quads
I know I just thought it was a hilariously incompetent diagram

Silver Alicorn posted:

PS1 is my favorite console and its graphics are 100% my aesthetic.
high res and tons of flat-shaded but light-sourced polys is the best

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Roosevelt posted:

don't count out the dreamcast, which had the best fighting game ever made soulcalibur

soul calibur, crazy taxi, bangai-o (which can make emulators lsow to a crawl lmao)... lotta good games

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

soul calibur, crazy taxi, bangai-o (which can make emulators lsow to a crawl lmao)... lotta good games

also shenmue, which caused every game for the next decade to be infected with qtes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

The_Franz posted:

also shenmue, which caused every game for the next decade to be infected with qtes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=depfVO4R2OA

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

loving yes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
retro games are bad because nobody knew what the gently caress they were doing

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i can still hear the announcer guy's voice in my head. sooooul calibur

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the soul still burns

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hades is good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

toiletbrush posted:

I know I just thought it was a hilariously incompetent diagram

it's actually making me angry because it looks like that is from a textbook or something and it's completely wrong.

the top is showing camera-space mapping, not affine, and the bottom is just "gently caress my poo poo up fam"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

retro games are good, actually

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

retro games are good, actually

some are good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

hades is good
:yeah:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i still fire up super mario world from time to time. can't get enough of the blue/red/yellow yoshis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

i still fire up super mario world from time to time. can't get enough of the blue/red/yellow yoshis

blue yoshi is op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don’t encourage him, 4 of his last 5 posts in this thread are exactly that

the 5th is “shaggar was right”