Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I really need to know what other teams, if any, were close on this. obviously the return is poo poo, but are the Mets and the Padres the only teams that are willing to take on salary right now?

In this economy???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Popete posted:

In this economy???

I just looked at the ranked list of MLB payrolls and it is so funny to me how average the Phillies are despite being in the top ten

gently caress this team

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Mets fleeced the Indians here

Well considering lindor has to be paid the Indians won

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wow, gently caress Cleveland forever. What a joke.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/RealDCunningham/status/1347241565681496064

holy poo poo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Cleveland is just prepping to fully embrace their upcoming Spiders nickname

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Kinda seems like they just threw Carrasco in to shed salary.

Yeah, it seems like a pretty good return for a year of Lindor (two young, cost controlled good defensive shortstops with upside if they hit, and two recent high draft picks) but getting Carrasco too makes me think the Mets win this trade. We'll see how the prospects pan out I guess.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

gently caress this team

:hmmyes:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Rosario is one of those guys you keep waiting to break out and never quite does.

Gimenez looked good in limited work.

I'm a prospect hugger by nature, but I think Gimenez will pan out and at the worst Rosario is a decent defender with excellent speed who can be useful on the bench.

I'm 100% certain the Mets didn't trade for Lindor to let him walk in FA. They'll sign him.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Cleveland spent their budget for the year on announcing a new name for next year

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Some quick and dirty math says that average mlb opening day payroll will have increased about 17% between 2011 and 2021 (109m to 93m). Meanwhile, revenue in 2019 was 70% higher than 2011 (10.7b to 6.3b).

gently caress owners.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
whaaaaaaat

I am loving hyped about this trade, Lindor is probably the 2nd best SS in baseball and Carrasco is really good too

like davecrazy says we kept waiting for Rosario to break out and as yet he hasn't, he may well do so now in Cleveland but yeah giving him up strongly suggests we're trying to sign Lindor longterm and getting a 27 year old superstar SS for 5+ years is a killer loving move

we're still probably not quite favorites for the division over Atlanta but we definitely should make the postseason (especially if it's the bullshit expanded system again) and then who loving knows

:woop:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Pussy Boss posted:

(two young, cost controlled good defensive shortstops with upside if they hit, and two recent high draft picks)

Rosario's defense isn't very good. It'll play fine if he hits like he did in 2019, but he's at best adequate. Gimenez has a good glove.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yeah, it seems like a pretty good return for a year of Lindor (two young, cost controlled good defensive shortstops with upside if they hit, and two recent high draft picks) but getting Carrasco too makes me think the Mets win this trade. We'll see how the prospects pan out I guess.

At worst Carrasco's contract seems to be about right value, but it kinda seems like they valued him like its underwater. Obviously there is some risk in a 34 year old pitcher who has had previous injury issues but he's still very good. Hard to see it as anything but a salary dump.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

davecrazy posted:

I'm 100% certain the Mets didn't trade for Lindor to let him walk in FA. They'll sign him.

Usually I'd say don't expect a rental to sign an extension. But Betts and Goldschmidt did so maybe that isn't true anymore.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Popete posted:

You can at least argue the Cubs tried post 2016, the Indians were in a similar position with a young star studded team and they just gave up their owner decided that he wanted more money.

Ftfy. The Dolans chose to gently caress over Cleveland so they could be even richer.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Wow, good trade by the Mets. i wonder if the Braves could get Jose Ramirez.
Anyhow time to change the thread title.
How about Lind or Lind don't?
It's heating up?
From way down town!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would assume that one of the new guys in Cleveland is the second baseman now. Whoever is the worse glove.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodoze posted:

Cleveland spent their budget for the year on announcing a new name for next year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1347271848694788099

Not sure what the point of this one is but they really should just announce DJLM.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The gently caress is Andrew Friedman doing while all these dumb teams just give away great talent for peanuts? Dodgers have been “interested” in Carrasco for years.

edit: trade simulator is pretty high on Gimenez and thus sees the exchange as pretty even

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 7, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Twitter says the Dodgers were “in on Linder till the end but wouldn’t budge on their prospects” which means Cleveland was definitely demanding Lux

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Giménez looked pretty good in his cup of coffee last season but his ceiling is quite a bit lower than Lindor imo

I'm all in favor of trading a shortstop who might be really good in the future for one who's fantastic right now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/StevenACohen2/status/1347280684562456581
Shitposting owner!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Would appreciate if we could hold off on spicy trades until i am ready to think about baseball transactions.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

So are the loving Jays gonna actually get anyone or..?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Prob Musgrove

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Not Sugano!

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1347302486823088128

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

so many teams need starting pitching right now and they just...let the best pitcher in Japan walk?

TwoHeadedDeer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 7, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

so many teams need starting pitching right now and they just...let the best pitcher in Japan walk?

Well you see that would cost money.

Man, Sugano looks like a stud. Would probably be getting him in his prime too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nobody wants to spend any money this offseason

I know a week ago there was some discussion from people that the offseason was slow because everyone expected ST to get delayed, but then the league said that everything was going to proceed as scheduled on the MLB side. Still no real activity.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

Would you come to America right now?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If he’s only one year from true free agency I guess I can see why teams would pass now and save on the posting fee. It’s still dumb no one is willing to pay for a good player but you can see the FO “efficiency” reasons

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1347271848694788099

Not sure what the point of this one is but they really should just announce DJLM.

This pleases me because I already have Allen in my Show farm system.

Not that that's how I evaluate player acquisitions...

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/byrobertmurray/status/1347370791290155012?s=21

I’m surprised, seems like a rebuilding team would be a more logical destination but that’s cool, hope he bounces back

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/byrobertmurray/status/1347370791290155012?s=21

I’m surprised, seems like a rebuilding team would be a more logical destination but that’s cool, hope he bounces back

I played this guy on MLB The show several months ago and my son hit him up on Instagram in order to mock me as I lost.

they have struck up kind of an Internet friendship since then which I adore.

anyway he's a crazy talented pitcher and seems like a great guy and I hope he finds his way back to the big leagues

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

According to new court documents, a former Angels employee used to give a ball doctoring substance to a whole bunch of Angels player. Eventually he gave the substance to a whole bunch of players on other teams, and LAA/MLB knew all about it, until he was fired as a scapegoat

Funnily enough, Trevor Bauer was not one of the other players

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-01-07/fired-angels-employee-bubba-harkins-names-players-illegal-product

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

According to new court documents, a former Angels employee used to give a ball doctoring substance to a whole bunch of Angels player. Eventually he gave the substance to a whole bunch of players on other teams, and LAA/MLB knew all about it, until he was fired as a scapegoat

Funnily enough, Trevor Bauer was not one of the other players

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-01-07/fired-angels-employee-bubba-harkins-names-players-illegal-product

Bauer does independent testing at driveline to find the best sticky stuff, he most definitely has a private blend.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I can’t wait for all the moralizing about something that was almost certainly more widespread and definitely was winked at more than PEDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ibslivesmatter/status/1347275310123921409?s=21