Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Did he properly break his head at some point? He's not just wearing a helmet, it's strapped up all tight to his chin so it would actually be effective too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAzo5OdqHM

:unsmith: fun video featuring friends on skateboards

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Rediscovered this while looking through my yt favs folder. Still holds up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGO2Al65HWI

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rediscovered this while looking through my yt favs folder. Still holds up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGO2Al65HWI

He did the “drag the board up the ledge with the back foot into a grind trick”

I love the back foot board drag, they are fun to do and low risk and they usually surprise folks during a sesh

Anyone know if that maneuver have a name?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If a dude who has never skated wanted to get into cruising around a college campus and high-quality bike paths in a fairly flat town, what kind of setup should he look at? Longboard with fat soft wheels? There's a bunch of used ones on Craigslist/Facebook marketplace/gear consignment shops around me.
I'm a decent snowboarder and I have zero interest in the kind of skateboard where the wheels are expected to come off the ground. My two year old daughter is getting into things with wheels and we spend a lot of time outside, so I'd like a leisurely way to scoot around with her too.

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
One time I did a kickflip

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

If a dude who has never skated wanted to get into cruising around a college campus and high-quality bike paths in a fairly flat town, what kind of setup should he look at? Longboard with fat soft wheels? There's a bunch of used ones on Craigslist/Facebook marketplace/gear consignment shops around me.
I'm a decent snowboarder and I have zero interest in the kind of skateboard where the wheels are expected to come off the ground. My two year old daughter is getting into things with wheels and we spend a lot of time outside, so I'd like a leisurely way to scoot around with her too.

I like my longboard but only when I know I don't have to stop quickly or take sharp corners...so probably not ideal for semi crowded areas but they are great fun.

For what you mentioned I would just use a regular board. If you are tall then probably a wide ish one. That way you can twist and turn, fast or slow, and still have the option to stop quickly.

If its gonna be nice long uninterrupted cruising go a longboard. Hell go both 🙂🙃

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sleekly posted:

I like my longboard but only when I know I don't have to stop quickly or take sharp corners...so probably not ideal for semi crowded areas but they are great fun.

For what you mentioned I would just use a regular board. If you are tall then probably a wide ish one. That way you can twist and turn, fast or slow, and still have the option to stop quickly.

If its gonna be nice long uninterrupted cruising go a longboard. Hell go both 🙂🙃

Thanks. Maybe I will go both, it seems affordable. The Landyachtz cruiser boards seem like good options as well. I’ve got miles of nice bike trails in town, so I would enjoy taking advantage of that in a different way than I usually do. Plus I haven’t been snowboarding much and miss carving.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Thanks. Maybe I will go both, it seems affordable. The Landyachtz cruiser boards seem like good options as well. I’ve got miles of nice bike trails in town, so I would enjoy taking advantage of that in a different way than I usually do. Plus I haven’t been snowboarding much and miss carving.

I would just start with something like the landyacht to get a baseline.
Different setups (trucks especially) will make for different type of feels when carving, some more noodley some too stiff. It kind of depends on the deck and the truck combo plus riser/no riser and the wheels. I have a lot of fun carving on a cruiser if the setup is right, you can do the pump carve thing and just kind of go. I find Ace trucks to be a lot of fun for cruising on flat though I prefer skating independents for regular street/transition skating.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the higher off the ground the deck is the harder it is to push long distances cause you are having to step down more to make the push, so it's important to find a balance there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

UFOTacoMan posted:

I would just start with something like the landyacht to get a baseline.
Different setups (trucks especially) will make for different type of feels when carving, some more noodley some too stiff. It kind of depends on the deck and the truck combo plus riser/no riser and the wheels. I have a lot of fun carving on a cruiser if the setup is right, you can do the pump carve thing and just kind of go. I find Ace trucks to be a lot of fun for cruising on flat though I prefer skating independents for regular street/transition skating.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the higher off the ground the deck is the harder it is to push long distances cause you are having to step down more to make the push, so it's important to find a balance there.

Thanks. I'm going to swing by one or two of my local skate shops today to see what they have.

Since I'm also looking at used stuff on Craigslist, is there an especially good website or youtube channel for reviews to research the ones I'm seeing? Some brands (Z Flex, Atom) have more google results from Amazon and blogs than from skate shops and magazines, which I take to be a sign to maybe avoid. Reddit answered a lot of these pretty well actually.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 8, 2021

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Thanks. I'm going to swing by one or two of my local skate shops today to see what they have.

Since I'm also looking at used stuff on Craigslist, is there an especially good website or youtube channel for reviews to research the ones I'm seeing? Some brands (Z Flex, Atom) have more google results from Amazon and blogs than from skate shops and magazines, which I take to be a sign to maybe avoid.

The shops are a good place to start, just tell them you are looking for a cruiser that is fun to ride/carve on if that is what you are after.
My experience with cruisers comes from piecing them together with what are considered standard name brand street skating trucks, wheels, bushings, bearings and decks. You can do this with a regular shaped popsicle street deck or a more shaped cruiser style deck. Or you can just buy a pre-built like the z-flex or adam, which is probably what I would recommend at this point. Then if you feel like you want to change things up you can start replacing parts to dial it in. Z-Flex is an OG deck brand but both those and Adams comes with their own brand trucks which may or may not be ideal, but those can always be replaced. Even changing the bushings in the trucks can significantly change the way a board feels with turning. "soft" bushings will be more noodley and quicker to turn being usually more fun to ride if you can dig it, hard bushings and tight trucks will make the board feel very stiff and hard to carve with.
You absolutely do not want standard street skating "hard" wheels. you want some soft ones, they make riding over cracks and rough ground much easier and more tolerable.

Longboard setups are their own animal and I can't really speak to any of that and I would recommend not going that route at this point.

If you see something on craigs list I would just make sure it's not some board brand you can get from walmart or target, other than that I wouldn't worry about reading reviews too much, just make sure if it was new it would be over $100. Cheap stuff is not good and actually dangerous for adults to use since that stuff can break. Also you can post it up here if want a critique on a setup.

Also, if you've not been active like this for a while prepare to learn that it takes some practice and time to get comfortable and to get your body in the right shape for doing it for extended periods.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

UFOTacoMan posted:

The shops are a good place to start, just tell them you are looking for a cruiser that is fun to ride/carve on if that is what you are after.
My experience with cruisers comes from piecing them together with what are considered standard name brand street skating trucks, wheels, bushings, bearings and decks. You can do this with a regular shaped popsicle street deck or a more shaped cruiser style deck. Or you can just buy a pre-built like the z-flex or adam, which is probably what I would recommend at this point. Then if you feel like you want to change things up you can start replacing parts to dial it in. Z-Flex is an OG deck brand but both those and Adams comes with their own brand trucks which may or may not be ideal, but those can always be replaced. Even changing the bushings in the trucks can significantly change the way a board feels with turning. "soft" bushings will be more noodley and quicker to turn being usually more fun to ride if you can dig it, hard bushings and tight trucks will make the board feel very stiff and hard to carve with.
You absolutely do not want standard street skating "hard" wheels. you want some soft ones, they make riding over cracks and rough ground much easier and more tolerable.

Longboard setups are their own animal and I can't really speak to any of that and I would recommend not going that route at this point.

If you see something on craigs list I would just make sure it's not some board brand you can get from walmart or target, other than that I wouldn't worry about reading reviews too much, just make sure if it was new it would be over $100. Cheap stuff is not good and actually dangerous for adults to use since that stuff can break. Also you can post it up here if want a critique on a setup.

Also, if you've not been active like this for a while prepare to learn that it takes some practice and time to get comfortable and to get your body in the right shape for doing it for extended periods.

Cool, thank you very much for the effort post. This is the one Z Flex I was looking at but Reddit explained why pintails are a bad way to start for what I think I want to do. Especially the ground clearance. Looks like telling the shop(s) I want to build up a cruiser deck is the way to go. The campus I work on and would commute through is pretty standard multi-surface with areas of lovely cracked sidewalk, nice newer bike path, asphalt, etc., so I'd assumed a set of fat soft wheels and adjustable trucks (maybe on the softer end?) is necessary.

Re: the fitness aspect, yeah, I take that part seriously. I'm pretty active already, and my current exercise (other than walking or biking most places I go) is freeweights with a big focus on squats and deadlifts, i.e., leg and core stability. I'm 36, so I don't just jump into new activities with the gusto I once did. I play with my daughter and her neighborhood friends (3 - 12 years old) on their variety of wheeled toys a few times a week, so I see that as a slower way to ease into this and have fun with it. If it turns out it's not for me, it should be easy to flip this stuff to a college student without much loss and I've had fun trying it out.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Anecdotal, but I feel like most people I've known who just wanted to cruise flats/populated areas and bought a longboard didnt end up happy for the reasons above plus the fact that they're large and unwieldy when you're off them. Not to put you off the idea, just stay open to other deck shapes and sizes because you can toss risers, giant trucks and cruiser wheels on just about anything.

Personally if I was putting something together for cruising right now I'd want some sort of big 80s revival asymmetrical deck, something like these

https://powell-peralta.com/skateboard-decks/classic-and-re-issue

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
im biased, I feel like longboards should primarily be a downhill thing. Never made sense to me to add weight and size if you're planning on kick pushing at all. Just buy really nice bearings and keep them clean.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

I was in the same situation a few years ago. I bought a regular skateboard first, then later bought a penny board to take in my backpack on the train. When I want to tool around the neighborhood or take the dogs for a walk, I find myself grabbing the penny board 9/10 times because its quiet, smooth and can carve ridiculously hard in tight spaces. That being said, the tiny deck is pretty sketchy, and it's nowhere near as versatile as a regular board for pretty much anything other than putting around. A bigger deck with similar wheels would probably be better. I still do want to get out to a smooth skatepark with lots of transition with the larger board, but I'm a bit intimidated by skate culture and not having any friends to try it out with.

No real new information here, but definitely get soft wheels and make sure you have enough clearance to crank your turns without getting wheel bite.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Cool, thank you very much for the effort post. This is the one Z Flex I was looking at but Reddit explained why pintails are a bad way to start for what I think I want to do. Especially the ground clearance. Looks like telling the shop(s) I want to build up a cruiser deck is the way to go. The campus I work on and would commute through is pretty standard multi-surface with areas of lovely cracked sidewalk, nice newer bike path, asphalt, etc., so I'd assumed a set of fat soft wheels and adjustable trucks (maybe on the softer end?) is necessary.

Re: the fitness aspect, yeah, I take that part seriously. I'm pretty active already, and my current exercise (other than walking or biking most places I go) is freeweights with a big focus on squats and deadlifts, i.e., leg and core stability. I'm 36, so I don't just jump into new activities with the gusto I once did. I play with my daughter and her neighborhood friends (3 - 12 years old) on their variety of wheeled toys a few times a week, so I see that as a slower way to ease into this and have fun with it. If it turns out it's not for me, it should be easy to flip this stuff to a college student without much loss and I've had fun trying it out.

yea the pintail isn't what I would go for, also I would try to find something smaller, but not too small.
Having a actual "kick tail" (curved up tail) on a skateboard is good cause it let's you learn to be a little more maneuverable. The kick tail makes it so you can lift your front wheels over cracks and stuff and also let's you do stuff like "tic-tacking" to keep speed/generate movement without pushing.
Something more along the lines of this: https://www.tactics.com/santa-cruz/classic-dot-935-80s-cruzer-complete-cruiser-skateboard
Small cruiser decks can be fun but if you are starting out a larger one may help you feel more comfortable at first and I don't mean large like a long board deck.
I would stick to looking at setups that have a kick tail, there's a reason that kick tails are one of the major evolutions in skateboarding. They make it easier to control once you get the hang of it even if your not trying to pop sick ollies.

It sounds like you are in good shape so just take it slow and you will have fun. I like to try to do tricks and whatever but just riding a board is very fun and fulfilling. Whenever I have to take a break it's always kind of shocking to come back and realize just how much fun simply riding a skateboard is.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks goons, this is all helpful and encouraging. I’m in a resurgence of sadbrains lately and I need something fun and active I can do right out my front door or as part of my daily activity anyway. I’m about to take lunch and go to the local shops.

Mongoose posted:

but I'm a bit intimidated by skate culture and not having any friends to try it out with.

Also very much this. Especially commuting on a college campus, where most of these kids aren't much more than half my age. But on the other hand, there are a shitload of wobbly kids clearly just getting into it for the first time too.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 8, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anytime I've ridden a longboard I find myself getting extremely annoyed by not being able to pop ollies up little stuff or lift my nose up to drop off curb.

Also, who else grew up building ramps with zero knowledge of how they were supposed to be built? It was a big day in my friend group when we realized that you're not supposed to build a 4ft quartpipe that goes from flat to completely vertical. Might as well just be skating straight into a wall. I think one guy managed to "drop in" on it maaaaybe 3x and he was god of the group for it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Mongoose posted:

I still do want to get out to a smooth skatepark with lots of transition with the larger board, but I'm a bit intimidated by skate culture and not having any friends to try it out with.

Also very much this. Especially commuting on a college campus, where most of these kids aren't much more than half my age. But on the other hand, there are a shitload of wobbly kids clearly just getting into it for the first time too.

I skated when I was young but stopped when friends started driving and kind of picked it up off and on a few times a year after that. Eventually I stopped completely when I was about 23 or so. I started again full time when I turned 30. I was very much intimidated by skaters and all that too. I started again by going to an abandoned grocery store parking lot and just trying to get it back. I would be worked for a couple of days after spending a few hours skating. Skating hard everyday seemed impossible. I eventually ran into a few other older dudes who came out to that same spot and we struck up a friendship. We've been skating together now for about 14 years and I'm 44 now.

regarding the skatepark, It's hard to do but don't let other folks make you feel any certain way. All of us our out here playing with kids toys and we all know that to the rest of the world we are not much different from kids riding razor scooters. My advice if you want to go to the skateapark is go there early, like before 12:00 PM (10:00 am is what I shoot for most days). The folks you will run into will mostly be old dudes, dumb kids or good skaters who know what's up. Just be chill, say wha'ts up, be friendly, but you don't need to talk anyone's ear off. Take note of the lanes people use, stay out of them if you aren't rolling and respect others' turns etc. Eventually you might run into your counter part and you guys can be skate buddies. It's always a little more fun to skate with a friend but skating alone is rewarding as well. Hoot and holler when something is cool, it stokes people up. I don't recommend listening to music on head phones because that just isolates you from others, but dudes that bring little boomboxes certainly help lighten the mood and that's cool as hell.

The most important thing is being consistent. I have to skate at least 2 times a week to keep things moving forward otherwise I start to regress.

Also, skating is probably the most zen thing I do, it's great for your brain. It turns off the world if you can get into it.
Skating is a lot of fun and you can be social and chill with people you wouldn't otherwise and so that's pretty cool.
good luck dudes!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 8, 2021

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Anecdotal, but I feel like most people I've known who just wanted to cruise flats/populated areas and bought a longboard didnt end up happy for the reasons above plus the fact that they're large and unwieldy when you're off them. Not to put you off the idea, just stay open to other deck shapes and sizes because you can toss risers, giant trucks and cruiser wheels on just about anything.

Personally if I was putting something together for cruising right now I'd want some sort of big 80s revival asymmetrical deck, something like these

https://powell-peralta.com/skateboard-decks/classic-and-re-issue

I have a friend that's been skating a per welinder street deck lately.
That was one of the most bad rear end shapes back in the day.
I always wanted one.

I picked up one of the Ray Barbee new krooked shaped decks and I'm interested to see how I like that.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

XIII posted:

Anytime I've ridden a longboard I find myself getting extremely annoyed by not being able to pop ollies up little stuff or lift my nose up to drop off curb.

Also, who else grew up building ramps with zero knowledge of how they were supposed to be built? It was a big day in my friend group when we realized that you're not supposed to build a 4ft quartpipe that goes from flat to completely vertical. Might as well just be skating straight into a wall. I think one guy managed to "drop in" on it maaaaybe 3x and he was god of the group for it.

dude we had one launch ramp that was so big that no one could push hard enough at it to go off the end. It had to be put at the bottom of a hill just to get off of it.
One of my fav things would be the "mini-halfs" that would get build by compiling 4 of the neighborhood launch ramps. I'm pretty good at building ramps now but I'm really clueless as to how we managed to build anything back in the day. We had no idea what we were doing.

There's an instagram account that relives those days that's super cool: https://www.instagram.com/thepastparticiple/

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^that account's sick.

Lol also, nothing better than building a way too steep kicker that's roughly 1.5x as wide as your skateboard, so hitting it anything less than perfect means digging your truck into the wood and sending yourself flying.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So my local skate shops helped. They pretty much echoed what y'all said in here.
The first one pointed me at a couple cruisers (one was a Santa Cruz Cruzer posted upthread) and their shortest longboards. They had a few Quest boards that had a price I liked but turns out they're a brand commonly sold at Walmart.

Second shop didn't have a lot in the way of cruisers, but they did have a couple Arbors I kind of liked, the Pilsner (seems pretty small for a cruiser and new rider) and a Mission (felt good underfoot, wasn't too heavy). Both under $150. They had a handful of those Powell Peralta decks which are badass.

As far as local classifieds, I found a Sector 9 Laniakea and what I think is an Arbor Mission. I think they're about the same size, maybe on the longer end of cruisers but shorter than most longboards, and with a kick tail. Any reason those aren't ideal?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

So my local skate shops helped. They pretty much echoed what y'all said in here.
The first one pointed me at a couple cruisers (one was a Santa Cruz Cruzer posted upthread) and their shortest longboards. They had a few Quest boards that had a price I liked but turns out they're a brand commonly sold at Walmart.

Second shop didn't have a lot in the way of cruisers, but they did have a couple Arbors I kind of liked, the Pilsner (seems pretty small for a cruiser and new rider) and a Mission (felt good underfoot, wasn't too heavy). Both under $150. They had a handful of those Powell Peralta decks which are badass.

As far as local classifieds, I found a Sector 9 Laniakea and what I think is an Arbor Mission. I think they're about the same size, maybe on the longer end of cruisers but shorter than most longboards, and with a kick tail. Any reason those aren't ideal?

between the sector 9 and Arbor I would lean toward the arbor mission I think just based on the deck size? That sector 9 is pretty long at 36.75inches. The mission is 35 inches long, still long but not super duper long like the sector 9.
I actually have an arbor pislner that I use for cruising and it is small, but it's not too small, but probably smaller than what you are looking for right now, it measures 28.5 inches long, there's not much room for adjusting your foot placement.
the pislner is my small cruiser and then I have a regular sized shaped street deck for my other cruiser that's about 32 inches long which in my mind is kind of big.

I would say either go for santa cruz cruzer (31.7 inches long) or the arbor mission.
Once you get used to riding a board you'll be able to start having an opinion on what you like and don't like, so you have to start somewhere.
One thing to keep in mind is the arbor mission does come with the weird long board trucks, it doesn't really matter that much right now but it's good to understand.
notice how the kingpin on the mission oriented towards the front of the board:

vs. the sector 9 has the "regular street truck" kingpin orientation

everything can be replaced and is interchangeable, you can add other trucks, wheels etc. to any of those decks after the fact if you want.

also I'll add that Krooked Zip Zinger completes might be worth looking into but I can't find them in stock anywhere.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 8, 2021

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Jenkem mag had an article about how skateboard hardware manufacturing really ate poo poo last year and is expected to be back at capacity mid 2021

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/01/07/look-skateboard-drought-2020/

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What are some good youtube channels for nice flowy videos of people skating around interesting cities or scenery with good music? I’ve really been digging Landyachtz and Arbor Collective stuff.

Also, dude at the skate shop said come back later, we’re getting more boards in this afternoon. So I went in today and saw this:

And I think I might have to have it. I didn’t see what trucks and wheels are on there, but I’m pretty sure I read 78A on the wheels so seems like what y’all are telling me I need for the most part. Google says it’s a Darkroom Prisma, probably 8.75.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 11, 2021

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Try to figure out what brand the trucks, bearings and wheels are. Don't want to end up with bad no name parts.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I went to the board shop today pretty much ready to buy the arbor mission. Just to be sure I lined it up with the landyachtz dinghy and arbor pilsner, and decided it was the best feeling, and all my research said it would be the most stable and easy to learn on of the three. So I was doing my last little bit of thinking too drat much about it while the gawky teenage sales kid yammered at me when I saw this in the corner for about $25 less and a good bit more goon-approved.

It’s 8.75 and about 3” longer wheelbase than the dinghy and pilsner. The hardest decision was between this graphic and the light pink/purple/teal. Off to go fall over in a parking lot in the dark.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hell yeah

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

drat this is fun

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress yeah I should have started this years ago

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That board looks fun as gently caress. Nice.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

I went to the board shop today pretty much ready to buy the arbor mission. Just to be sure I lined it up with the landyachtz dinghy and arbor pilsner, and decided it was the best feeling, and all my research said it would be the most stable and easy to learn on of the three. So I was doing my last little bit of thinking too drat much about it while the gawky teenage sales kid yammered at me when I saw this in the corner for about $25 less and a good bit more goon-approved.

It’s 8.75 and about 3” longer wheelbase than the dinghy and pilsner. The hardest decision was between this graphic and the light pink/purple/teal. Off to go fall over in a parking lot in the dark.

Great choice, that thing looks fun. Time to learn slappys

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, minus a brief stint post college, I haven't seriously skated since high school. Would I be a mega poser if I wanted to get a couple of my favorite decks to hang on the wall once I move into a new apartment in the coming weeks? If it helps, I can still ollie!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I mean, do what you want. My brother hasn't skated since he was 8 and he buys decks as art pieces when something cool comes along.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You're right, I should put together a new board to ride AND get some decks to display. You've talked me into it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've thinking for a while about getting some cheap used decks and putting some of my own art on them. Stencils and poo poo.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

gently caress yeah I should have started this years ago

you did the right thing, have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

UFOTacoMan posted:

you did the right thing, have fun.

Thanks for all the help, I feel good about this board.

I had a shitload of fun last night wobbling around the parking lot of the elementary school down the street. One section has a 200-foot-long gentle slope with some marked kid drop off lanes for reference.

I started out just rolling straight down the slope under gravity and figuring out how to footbrake, turning around, and pushing back up the hill and starting over. After about an hour, I was linking up big wide turns all the way down. Remembering my snowboarding lessons really helped a bunch of stuff fall into place really quickly. Keeping weight on my left foot, pointing head and left shoulder (and sometimes hand) in the direction of the turn, looking at least 30 feet in front of me all the time, etc. I only fell off once and hooly poo poo does a board take off like a rocket when you go off backwards. I only stopped to go home when the wind got so brutal I couldn't push up hill anymore and my left leg was starting to cramp.
Back at it tonight.