Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thus proving it is physically impossible to sound badass in French.
All the other ones are great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
We are lovers, not fighters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fruits of the sea posted:

e: dark souls is... special with m+k. People have gotten good at it, but it's not something I would recommend to anybody.
I happily traipsed through both DS1 (Remastered) and 2 with KBM. :shrug: Probably helps that I always focus on big dumb berserker builds so I don't need to worry about L1/L2 stuff basically ever, but even then there's a couple of different methods to sorting out the controls (with the caveat that the default binds are almost always terrible) that makes them perfectly workable. Especially given the comparatively slow pace of both games.

Obviously it's never going to be as elegant as using a controller, but I think it would really only feel weird and wrong if you're already used to playing with one or maybe running a really convoluted dual wield magic casting parrying dagger hybrid thing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It disturbs me how many people on here post from their £5000 dual monitor pc super gaming setups which totally lack a £20 game controller

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It disturbs me how many people on here post from their £5000 dual monitor pc super gaming setups which totally lack a £20 game controller

I have a pretty decent computer but still use a wired xbox 360 controller. :v:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Suburban Dad posted:

I have a pretty decent computer but still use a wired xbox 360 controller. :v:

Same man still my original 360 controller from nearly 15 years ago. Tried others - switch pro, dual shock but nothing bests that 360 controller for me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Amazing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Same man still my original 360 controller from nearly 15 years ago. Tried others - switch pro, dual shock but nothing bests that 360 controller for me

I got an Elite 2 and it's worth it just to be able to remap thumb stick clicks to actual buttons

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I wanted so badly to make the Elite v2 my daily driver, but the only place that had them available around me was a Target, and they apparently received a bad batch of them because the “A” button would intermittently not register on all three of them (like 10% of the time, which made platformers basically impossible) even across multiple computers...so I ended up going with a Razer Wolverine Ultimate as an alternative and haven’t regretted it. You get the hot-swappable sticks and d-pad plus the bindable extra 6 buttons, but it’s not wireless. I expected the absence of a wireless receiver was going to be more annoying than it ended up being; the lack of a battery actually makes the whole thing about 1/2-2/3rds the weight of an Elite v2, which is kind of nice.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

BrianRx posted:

The PC is currently connected via Powerline to ethernet but was connected directly to the router in the past (at least 3 different routers over the years). I don't think it's a client issue because that 3.5 MB/s has persisted on multiple installs of both Windows and Steam. Bandwidth has also never been limited through the client. Anyone experience this or have any ideas of what the cause could be?

I'm not sure if I'm parsing the above correctly but I had a power/ethernet connection that went to extremely low speeds whenever I connected a specific device plug anywhere near it. It started making whining high pitched noises and the speed went down way low.

Edit: ah, beaten. Hope you get it sorted out.

Mongolian Queef fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 7, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I bought one of the series X (new new new one that launched with the console I guess) and it felt terrible. Weird texture on the grips and the sticks felt super long. I just put new joysticks on my 360 controller after returning it since they were worn down to nubs.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I needed a second controller for local multiplayer and also wanted to replace my non-bluetooth Xbone controller with bluetooth versions but the Elites were too dearly priced so I waited until I could pick up a pair of the new Xbox Series controllers. They're nice! Obviously a very subtle upgrade from the Xbone (why reinvent the wheel) but I like the mappable share button (I've been trying to use something like ReWASD to map it to Alt+F4 for emulators), the d-pad feels slightly better, the triggers feel nice, and the texture is pleasing. They feel like they took some of the nice features of the Elites and applied them at the normal price point.

Edit: obviously ymmv ^

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 7, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I bought a wireless Xbone controller and I can't stand it. It's probably just due to lack of use but the buttons require a lot more force than my PS4's controller. I mean it's not like it takes any real effort, but if I'm quickly button mashing some times I guess I don't ~fully~ press down on something and it just doesn't register.

The few times a year I play Siralim or something on it it always takes some getting used to.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Quick reminder Epic coupons expire in about an hour if anybody wants to buy anything there.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Hub Cat posted:

Quick reminder Epic coupons expire in about an hour if anybody wants to buy anything there.

Bought myself Ghostrunner as a last-minute decision; thanks for reminder. Also bought Outer Wilds. Tempted to get Desperados 3 as well, but I can probably wait for a next sale cycle (so much backlog!)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
We use two wireless Xbox 360 controllers with a charging dock and it's great, we always know where the controllers are and never have to go out of our way to charge them or buy new batteries and they work with basically everything. Perfect for couch co-op or each of us doing our own separate thing with our own controller.

Also if you're a PC gamer there's no real excuse not to have a controller, for a lot of games it's going to have a way bigger impact on your enjoyment and performance than squeezing an extra couple of frames in or adding in another layer of AA.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ew joypad texture

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I got an elite 2 controller and I love it but it has very bad problems with Bluetooth connection. Depends on the game but it will just randomly hitch and make the game stutter and lose connection. Apparently it’s a known issue that’s been around for years so it will probably never be fixed which is a shame.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Any sort of issue big or small in a $180 peripheral makes the whole thing a waste of money imo. At that price it should be perfect. Any product at any price should be perfect but really it's $180.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I still have my Xbox 360 controller from way back but I've been using DualShock 4 pretty much exclusively since getting a PlayStation 4 Pro some 3 years ago. I like the Switch Pro Controller as well but don't use it for PC gaming as much.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just need to order more cords... i have an xbox one controller, steam controller (both of which use the same cord), and then i have two dualshock 4s, which are notorious for destroying the cables (or mini-USB is just bad by itself)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I want some more Switch controllers for emulators because even though I have a Switch the process of switching from using them on the Switch to on the PC is tedious, and it's good for emulators that they stick with the classic Nintendo positioning of YXBA. If anyone ever feels like Nintendo is being contrarian by having a different layout, remember that they invented it and it was SEGA (with the Dreamcast) and Microsoft (who basically patterned the OG Xbox on the Dreamcast) who deliberately started doing it XYAB instead. The Dreamcast even had the A button as red. :psyduck: Still my favorite underdog console though.

lovely thing about the Switch Pro is the $69.99 MSRP that only comes down to $59.99 "on sale". But it's built like a tank and the battery lasts for weeks. I think you could brain somebody with a Switch Pro.

Has anyone used a PS5 controller on PC yet? I've heard Sony made actual drivers this time.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 7, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

does the switch pro have actual analog triggers this time? i love my wii u pro, and use it on my PC all the time, but the crappy triggers ruins it for me. the infinite battery life is amazing tho.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

For the record, I've put down money for an array of different controllers (including a basic 360 pad, yes) and the main outcome has been the realization that I don't like using controllers very much. :shrug:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Yeah I want some more Switch controllers for emulators because even though I have a Switch the process of switching from using them on the Switch to on the PC is tedious, and it's good for emulators that they stick with the classic Nintendo positioning of YXBA. If anyone ever feels like Nintendo is being contrarian by having a different layout, remember that they invented it and it was SEGA (with the Dreamcast) and Microsoft (who basically patterned the OG Xbox on the Dreamcast) who deliberately started doing it XYAB instead. The Dreamcast even had the A button as red. :psyduck: Still my favorite underdog console though.

lovely thing about the Switch Pro is the $69.99 MSRP that only comes down to $59.99 "on sale". But it's built like a tank and the battery lasts for weeks. I think you could brain somebody with a Switch Pro.

Has anyone used a PS5 controller on PC yet? I've heard Sony made actual drivers this time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748S3GXG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_eSZ9FbT2ERWBT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This controller rules for retro gaming and also is cross-compatible with both PC and Switch. There's one without the joysticks if you prefer.

It also works with Raspberry Pi and Android so it's great for any homebrew retro boxes you've set up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

queeb posted:

does the switch pro have actual analog triggers this time? i love my wii u pro, and use it on my PC all the time, but the crappy triggers ruins it for me. the infinite battery life is amazing tho.

Nope the Switch Pro triggers are digital

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
With most of the games you'd actually want to play on controller needing a claw grip on a standard controller, I'm really wanting to see a controller with buttons on the back like the Xbox Elite controllers, but not so expensive and not so poo poo.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

repiv posted:

Nope the Switch Pro triggers are digital

rip. guess its another xbone controller, unless the ps5 one works well!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

John Murdoch posted:

For the record, I've put down money for an array of different controllers (including a basic 360 pad, yes) and the main outcome has been the realization that I don't like using controllers very much. :shrug:

Hey man I have nothing but respect for anyone that wants to play certain games with a mouse and keyboard - the 2 that come to mind (i tried them last time both my batteries were dead) are rocket league and dark souls which were almost as unintuitive as speaking German. At least you own the drat controllers, its an option, these folk who just steadfastly refuse to own one, they are the real monsters.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hey man I have nothing but respect for anyone that wants to play certain games with a mouse and keyboard - the 2 that come to mind (i tried them last time both my batteries were dead) are rocket league and dark souls which were almost as unintuitive as speaking German. At least you own the drat controllers, its an option, these folk who just steadfastly refuse to own one, they are the real monsters.
:actually: Why should anyone hobble themself to the limitations of a controller?

Seriously, the biggest gripe I have about controllers is their effect on UI by lackluster developers. Looking at you, Bethesda.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Worse than lazy controller-focused ports of games better played with M+KB are lazy touchscreen-focused ports of games better played with a mouse, e.g. so many of the board games on Steam.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think controllers lend themselves to good game UX better than keyboards do honestly. A bad/lazy controller-based UI is probably worse than a bad keyboard-based one (i.e. everything is behind a lovely menu like in Skyrim), but it's equally bad in my eyes to just have a million shortcuts assigned to every key on the keyboard. Radial menus and chorded inputs (i.e. hold L1 and push something) are far superior to ever having to touch the 9 key.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Just hedge your bet- hold the control stick of your gamepad in one hand, have the other use your mouse. Best of both worlds.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Personally I'm sure as gently caress not gonna remember a full keyboard's worth of keybinds at the ripe age of 37 so I appreciate most devs keeping it simple.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Volte posted:

I think controllers lend themselves to good game UX better than keyboards do honestly. A bad/lazy controller-based UI is probably worse than a bad keyboard-based one (i.e. everything is behind a lovely menu like in Skyrim), but it's equally bad in my eyes to just have a million shortcuts assigned to every key on the keyboard. Radial menus and chorded inputs (i.e. hold L1 and push something) are far superior to ever having to touch the 9 key.

I think a lot of the UI elements blamed on controller-focused design could more accurately be ascribed to ten-foot design. What annoys me often isn't specifically how the menu works but how much space is wasted or underutilized compared to something designed for a person sitting 3 feet in front of the screen because it was meant for someone to be able to parse from across a room. The controller/keyboard element is just another part of the same consideration.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
FFXIV shows you can have a 32-button hotbar MMO play just fine with a controller

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MMO UIs however are the microcosm of how M&KB UIs can go wrong

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

40 Proof Listerine posted:

FFXIV shows you can have a 32-button hotbar MMO play just fine with a controller

FFXIV is a fine game but I definitely wouldn't hold it up as a paragon of menu design. It's barely better in that regard than Phantasy Star Online 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mr. Locke posted:

Just hedge your bet- hold the control stick of your gamepad in one hand, have the other use your mouse. Best of both worlds.

someone on the couch for the hades agdq run a couple days ago said this is how they actually play that game.