Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The only two jedi to show up were two fanservice jedis. Ashoka and Luke

Like, dude, cmon

How about we meet a new jedi? One that is not an abominable CGI construct perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Collapsing Farts posted:

What was the point of Luke showing up at the end? It was literally just a random character appearing out of nowhere to delete all opposition.

Firstly because about 98% of SW fans thought Luke’s last prior screen appearance was a poorly thought out trash fire in a series of utterly terrible movies made by talentless hacks, so they wanted Mark Hamill’s last appearance as Luke to be badass, rather than a fart.

Secondly, even people who don’t like R1 like the scene of Vader chopping up fools in a corridor, because before that scene existed he didn’t do anything that could be qualified as ‘scary’. This is the same deal only light side: not quite shot-for-shot, but the vibe is the same. Green lightsaber, full force powers, X-Wing, last ditch rescue.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Did you not pay attention to the last four episodes?

Grogu needs a teacher to learn to use the force or his abilities will fade over time, they go to the old jedi ruins and he reaches out through the force for a jedi to find him, and a jedi shows up. Luke is one of a handful of jedi that still exist at that point in the Star Wars universe, why wouldn't it be him?

Good job forcing a child into a life of bachelorhood and severed limbs

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Collapsing Farts posted:

The only two jedi to show up were two fanservice jedis. Ashoka and Luke

Like, dude, cmon

How about we meet a new jedi? One that is not an abominable CGI construct perhaps

A random guy in a cloak showing up would be a lovely dramatic reveal and the vast majority of watchers would probably be confused as to why they introduce a completely new and unknown character in the last moment of the season. Having it be Luke is consistent with the state of the universe at the time of the show, as he's the most powerful and one of the few jedi still alive.

Mu Zeta posted:

Good job forcing a child into a life of bachelorhood and severed limbs

This is the way.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 7, 2021

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

A random guy in a cloak showing up would be a lovely dramatic reveal and the vast majority of watchers would probably be confused as to why they introduce a completely new and unknown character in the last moment of the season. Having it be Luke is consistent with the state of the universe at the time of the show, as he's the most powerful and one of the few jedi still alive.
Yep pretty much this

If Ezra Bridger turned up you'd have the vast population of people asking who the gently caress is this guy?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I hate these Star Wars characters in my Star Wars tv show IT JUST DOESN"T MAKE ANY SENSE! The entire premise of the show is a dude in Boba Fett's armor walking around visiting Star Wars planets with a baby version of another popular character the entire loving thing has been fanservice from the start.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

bowmore posted:

If Ezra Bridger turned up you'd have the vast population of people asking who the gently caress is this guy?

I haven't watched the cartoons but I've watched and read a few summaries of them since this season of Mandalorian and I assume the Ahsoka show will deal with this and he will appear at some point, probably as a season ender or something equally as dramatic.

e:. Personally I don't care when established characters show up in Star Wars, that's not what I consider fan service. It's when the characters act like fans of the stuff going on around them, like how Ray is Star Wars fan stand in during TFA, that I get bored.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 7, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Luke is the obvious choice because they wrote a situation for which Luke was the obvious choice. If they were going to use a different character they wouldn't have changed just the last few minutes while kept everything else the same.

bowmore posted:

"Who the gently caress are you?" can be a pretty good ending for an episode or season. It would have required rewriting some other bits and it would have been a cliffhanger rather than a wrap-up of most loose ends but it could work in theory.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

socialsecurity posted:

I hate these Star Wars characters in my Star Wars tv show IT JUST DOESN"T MAKE ANY SENSE! The entire premise of the show is a dude in Boba Fett's armor walking around visiting Star Wars planets with a baby version of another popular character the entire loving thing has been fanservice from the start.

I dont know if that was for me, but that wanst what I was saying. I think "fan zservice" wanst the right word for what I was trying to say

Im ok with Bobba Fett (he actually made much more than a cameo) and my only problem with Luke is that it looked like poo poo. Luke is as recognizable ad Mikey mouse at this point

I was talking about all those 1 episode cameos, where those characters drop in and make vague references to backstories that we are supposed to know from obscure cartoons and than go out leaving open plots that are going to be followed in other shows too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 7, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The clone wars wasn’t obscure until the release of the new movies it was Star Wars. Just because you don’t know something doesn’t make it obscure

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Clone Wars is a children's cartoon that is fairly popular amongst males ages 8-12.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So is Star Wars

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

clown shoes posted:

Clone Wars is a children's cartoon that is fairly popular amongst males ages 8-50.

Lil more accurate

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finished all of Peaky Blinders, and now I am upset that the one season with a big cliffhanger is the last one since the new season is going to be another year before it makes it to Netflix due to COVID. Really good absurd dark and fun show. It is everything that Son's of Anarchy wanted to be but failed at.

Surprised to find out the actress playing Pol is married to Damian Lewis.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 7, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

nate fisher posted:

Surprised to find out the actress playing Pol is married to Damian Lewis.

They buy coffee from me, she’s super nice.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Who the gently caress are you?" can be a pretty good ending for an episode or season. It would have required rewriting some other bits and it would have been a cliffhanger rather than a wrap-up of most loose ends but it could work in theory.
I agree but only if that mystery person turns up a few times in the next season, I don't think they are planning to have Luke around in Mando

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This 30 Coins show is basically a Resident Evil game.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Regarding Game of Thrones, are there any TV shows with a strong ongoing plot that people were still super into after it ended? It seems like none of the big ones (Game of Thrones, Lost, Battlestar Galactica) can stick the landing, and I'm wondering if it's simply difficult to make a long ongoing plot satisfying after people have had years to speculate about it. Or maybe people lose interest simply because it's over?

I guess people liked the ending of stuff like Breaking Bad and Mad Men, but how about sci-fi/fantasy? X-Files had a long decline into being bad. Did people like the ending of, for example, Deep Space Nine (I haven't gotten there yet, though, so no spoilers)? What about the Stargate shows? I'm mostly just curious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stargate kind of tapered off. It was always more episodic than serial but their primary enemies kind of got beat after like 6 or 7 seasons. Then they worked new ones in and I think they tied them up in a couple of films after it. And they had the spinoff with its own bad guys. And then another spinoff I've forgotten everything about. I wouldn't say it ended decisively or satisfyingly.

But like, I don't think a show like that really is meant to. Its there to be something people can come back to and have familiar fun with. So the meta plots get stretched out or tacked out or adlibbed to keep the ball moving until the clock runs out.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Stargate kind of tapered off. It was always more episodic than serial but their primary enemies kind of got beat after like 6 or 7 seasons. Then they worked new ones in and I think they tied them up in a couple of films after it. And they had the spinoff with its own bad guys. And then another spinoff I've forgotten everything about. I wouldn't say it ended decisively or satisfyingly.

But like, I don't think a show like that really is meant to. Its there to be something people can come back to and have familiar fun with. So the meta plots get stretched out or tacked out or adlibbed to keep the ball moving until the clock runs out.

Yeah, SG-1 was supposedly canceled at the end of season 7 so they wrapped it all up before getting three more seasons. That meant having to come up with whole new enemies and plotlines to drive the show. When it was cancelled for real they got two movies to wrap everything up.

Atlantis they hoped to make more of when they got cancelled, but they reached a reasonable stopping point so more seasons would have been sensible but not necessary.

Universe got cancelled at a cliffhanger so never got any satisfying resolution.

None of them was really a show about an overarching arc like BSG, GoT, or so on, so sticking the landing wasn't very important. Even if Universe was so "BSG, but in Stargate!" that it hurts.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Sonderval posted:

Finished season 1 of Designated Survivor a few days back and it’s really helped me understand today’s weirdness (I’m in the uk). Thanks to the show I know what the 25th amendment means, also that politics is both dumb and boring as I found myself skipping the politics for the conspiracy stuff.

Not going to bother with season 2, I have a feeling it would only get dumber.

I wish I could get the time back I spent watching S2.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, SG-1 was supposedly canceled at the end of season 7 so they wrapped it all up before getting three more seasons. That meant having to come up with whole new enemies and plotlines to drive the show. When it was cancelled for real they got two movies to wrap everything up.

Atlantis they hoped to make more of when they got cancelled, but they reached a reasonable stopping point so more seasons would have been sensible but not necessary.

Universe got cancelled at a cliffhanger so never got any satisfying resolution.

None of them was really a show about an overarching arc like BSG, GoT, or so on, so sticking the landing wasn't very important. Even if Universe was so "BSG, but in Stargate!" that it hurts.

The only Stargate I watched much of was Universe, and that cancellation was pretty disappointing. The first season was pretty dull, but by the end of season two the show had really started to get compelling and I was excited to see where it went. And then: cancelled. :(

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

DorianGravy posted:

The only Stargate I watched much of was Universe, and that cancellation was pretty disappointing. The first season was pretty dull, but by the end of season two the show had really started to get compelling and I was excited to see where it went. And then: cancelled. :(

This is my Stargate story too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DorianGravy posted:

Regarding Game of Thrones, are there any TV shows with a strong ongoing plot that people were still super into after it ended? I

Farscape.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

DorianGravy posted:

Regarding Game of Thrones, are there any TV shows with a strong ongoing plot that people were still super into after it ended? It seems like none of the big ones (Game of Thrones, Lost, Battlestar Galactica) can stick the landing, and I'm wondering if it's simply difficult to make a long ongoing plot satisfying after people have had years to speculate about it. Or maybe people lose interest simply because it's over?

I guess people liked the ending of stuff like Breaking Bad and Mad Men, but how about sci-fi/fantasy? X-Files had a long decline into being bad. Did people like the ending of, for example, Deep Space Nine (I haven't gotten there yet, though, so no spoilers)? What about the Stargate shows? I'm mostly just curious.

Farscape is as close as it gets for me.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

Did people like the ending of, for example, Deep Space Nine (I haven't gotten there yet, though, so no spoilers)?

DS9 is one of those shows that just keeps getting better. There's one weird subplot in the last season, but the rest of it is great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Fringe and Person of Interest ended well enough and it wouldn't surprise me if The Expanse does too.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

DorianGravy posted:

Dark

Final 2 episodes are 9.6 and 9.7 on IMDB.

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 8, 2021

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The only reason the muppet BDSM show ended properly was an ungodly amount of crackers were sent to TV executives.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The what?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mystes posted:

The what?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 8, 2021

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nary a muppet in that pic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

clown shoes posted:

Nary a muppet in that pic.

I couldn't get a good shot of the bit where the muppet turned up. :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently that's from Farscape and people sending in crackers is something that actually happened but I give up trying to understand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fandom try to save canceled shows all the time. There was a massive write in campaign that helped Wynonna Earp get renewed.
Roswell fans sent hot sauce, Farscape fans sent crackers. I think Jericho fans sent nuts?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Dark

Final 2 episodes are 9.6 and 9.7 on IMDB.

Yeah Dark rules and I found the ending satisfying.

It's a show that really demands your attention in a way most TV doesn't, so if you watch it, you have to pay close attention to who everyone is and what their relationships to each other are.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Six feet under had a good ending.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Avatar The Last Airbender absolutely sticks the landing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
not sure I can be bothered to finish Manhunt S2, there's only so much I can take of rear end in a top hat feds completely refusing to change their minds about anything before it starts getting tiresome

all I want is Cameron Britton being Richard Jewell because he's fantastic, but now for some reason I've got the FBI having pitched battles with militia idiots in a forest and I just do not care if they all end up killing each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

not sure I can be bothered to finish Manhunt S2, there's only so much I can take of rear end in a top hat feds completely refusing to change their minds about anything before it starts getting tiresome

all I want is Cameron Britton being Richard Jewell because he's fantastic, but now for some reason I've got the FBI having pitched battles with militia idiots in a forest and I just do not care if they all end up killing each other

I enjoyed Manhunt but it definitely seems like season two suffers from "the network ordered 10 episodes but we only had enough for six" syndrome.