Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

It was entirely too little actual Satan in that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
Yup, Salman Rushdie is famous in the English-speaking world almost exclusively because of Islamophobia. I was required to read Haroun and the Sea of Stories in high school, and the only thing I really remembered about it was the plot really not making sense, a major character being named "Butt," and the teenaged main character getting a big smooch from a female character who was (I think) over 100 years old. Allegedly he's good at puns? But nah, he's not worth reading at all in the modern world

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i'll remember salman rushdie for somehow getting padma lakshmi to marry him

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Qoey posted:

Yup, Salman Rushdie is famous in the English-speaking world almost exclusively because of Islamophobia. I was required to read Haroun and the Sea of Stories in high school, and the only thing I really remembered about it was the plot really not making sense, a major character being named "Butt," and the teenaged main character getting a big smooch from a female character who was (I think) over 100 years old. Allegedly he's good at puns? But nah, he's not worth reading at all in the modern world

He's really good lol. I haven't read his recent stuff but midnights children and the satanic verses are excellent.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Oh wow what a good point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching the HBO doc "Heaven's Gate: Cult of Cults" and now I'm curious, what's the best documentary about Jonestown?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just listening to the recording of the last few hours (?) it's pretty interesting in a macabre way

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Podcast Transmissions from Jonestown, to the best of my knowledge.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just watched tank girl for the first time last night, it was dope. I went in knowing nothing about it other than seeing it referred to sneeringly a few times in my life, but there only parts i didn't like about it were the crazy inconsistent tone (on the one hand, post apocalypse nazis controlling water and putting people in desert work camps, on the other an extremely silly magazine photoshoot with the world's stupidest guards), and the fact that tank girl ends up forced into a dumb hetero relationship with kangaroo jack instead of with jet girl the way it was obviously meant to be

Aside from those two things though i loved it. I think I'm a tank girl stan now

E: also I'm now looking forward to the opportunity to drop "oh, mad max fury road? I liked it better when it was called tank girl" into a conversation

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Jan 3, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i tried reading world war z and am sincerely impressed with how terribly it aged every other interview includes a new bizarre racist stereotype and its loaded with selective military fetishism the whole thing really nails the mood of the midaughts with liberals transitioning from war is bad to just war is bad if run by dumb people which is why we should put the smart people in charge of the wars

then of course theres the whole the plague actually happened thing and i dont think even the epoch times ever went so far as to say that while china curbed the internal outbreak thanks to their evil authoritarianism chinas out of control addiction to illegal organ harvesting was what caused the pandemic which is extra funny since brooks almost certainly sourced that entire plot point from the epoch times in the first place

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmqQIVaCCrQ

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

wrong thread

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Jan 5, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is there a breakdown of all the politically-motivated liberties taken with the facts for the TV series Chernobyl?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I'm watching the HBO doc "Heaven's Gate: Cult of Cults" and now I'm curious, what's the best documentary about Jonestown?

one of the "cult experts" they interview on that goes from having like one or two little things to say every time they cut to her to expounding on how she had escaped the clutches of a nefarious cult that was just like heaven's gate: the democratic workers party

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plank Walker posted:

one of the "cult experts" they interview on that goes from having like one or two little things to say every time they cut to her to expounding on how she had escaped the clutches of a nefarious cult that was just like heaven's gate: the democratic workers party

yeah that part was loving bizarre. goddamn liberals.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I just watched tank girl for the first time last night, it was dope. I went in knowing nothing about it other than seeing it referred to sneeringly a few times in my life, but there only parts i didn't like about it were the crazy inconsistent tone (on the one hand, post apocalypse nazis controlling water and putting people in desert work camps, on the other an extremely silly magazine photoshoot with the world's stupidest guards), and the fact that tank girl ends up forced into a dumb hetero relationship with kangaroo jack instead of with jet girl the way it was obviously meant to be

Aside from those two things though i loved it. I think I'm a tank girl stan now

E: also I'm now looking forward to the opportunity to drop "oh, mad max fury road? I liked it better when it was called tank girl" into a conversation

I'm pretty sure in the comics Jet Girl is gay and in a relationship with Sub Girl.

edit: heh, guess we know who's the top then.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

There's one called Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle that's supposed to be really good. Personally I've listened to a couple podcasts about it, but I dunno if you want to spend that much time on it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Spuckuk posted:

I'm pretty sure in the comics Jet Girl is gay and in a relationship with Sub Girl.

edit: heh, guess we know who's the top then.

I haven't read the comics yet, but I'm interested and will probably hunt them down now. That makes sense. The way the movie sets things up and the way tank/jet girl interact I was positive that they were going to be a thing, and felt let down when it didn't happen

I was also disappointed that tank girl didn't get her tank from by stealing it from the Water & Power company (I appreciated the apocalypse nazis having WP for their initials/logo) but that's not really a problem, just me being nitpicky about writing

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

a bunch didn't get filmed hence the animated segments and then a bunch got cut after bad test screenings
imdb has a long list of scenes cut which certainly would have helped the film

quote:

Hewlett also revealed that a scene with Tank Girl, Booga and "a ten-inch prosthetic cock" also got cut. "A $5,000 cock. It looked brilliant", he said. "The whole scene was very romantic. But MGM took it out. Too bestial. We were going 'it's innocent, like seeing your mum and dad in bed together'." MGM disagreed.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1346475436637732874?s=19

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Is there a breakdown of all the politically-motivated liberties taken with the facts for the TV series Chernobyl?

I've been going on for months about how Not Liz Warren doing "an epic burn" on some local party leader being a former factory worker shows just how much liberals hate the mere idea of working people rising above their station

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

I watched that movie Joker for the first time during the QAnon/CHUD riots at the Capital Building yesterday; I don’t think I’ve seen such a scathing attack on capitalism by a mainstream film since Blade Runner 2049. Phoenix was legitimately frightening in that role, gently caress. What a great piece of art for our times.

It’s on HBO max now FYI.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
im da joker baby

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

trying to wear my idiocracy costume to the protest to fit in with the v's and jokers but people just keep thinking im luke wilson and spitting on me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m going to become the Joker

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Qoey posted:

Yup, Salman Rushdie is famous in the English-speaking world almost exclusively because of Islamophobia.

Whitewashing a guy being forced into hiding and nearly assassinated for writing a book as Islamophobia is loving dumb as hell dude. Maybe spend 5 minutes looking into it before coming in here with your smarmy rear end take.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watched amistad on an airplane awhile ago and the first twenty minutes whipped rear end slaves successfully take over the slave ship and the situation inevitably goes to poo poo because they have no idea where they are or how to get back i especially liked the part where the one guy looks at the stars and realizes the designated surviving white people are loving with them not that this revelation does him any good

for this movie to be slammed as a white savior narrative is dumb as hell given that white people are presented from the very beginning as the explicit villains like theres also a but black people also did slavery element but thats presented comically late as an unconvincing last ditch argument because by that point the abolitionist attorney has already proved fairly decisively that the slave ship broke every white person law that anyone had ever heard of so no one believes for a minute that they gave a poo poo about black person law

the final act is genuinely godawful though the movie should have ended when they won the appeal which is more or less when the story stops in real life and instead we have anthony hopkins as john quincy adams delivering a terrible west wing speech filled with sentimentalist founder worship bullshit which is just utterly baffling considering how up until that point the movie had been fairly outspoken about how a huge number of americans from this time period were genuinely repugnant and monstrous people

like the only reason the abolitionists won was because the slavers forgot to file the serial numbers off of a document that directly linked them to infamous international criminals and i thought the african guys being portrayed as basically helpless and bewildered in this context was extremely on point especially since the scenes where they interact with white people are always shown from the africans perspective with even the good white people being presented as dumb goobers

also about that west wing reference given the timing of when amistad came out compared to when the west wing got started i get the very sinking feeling that in terms of pop culture influence the john quincy adams speech was the only part of the movie that had any serious influence on american pop culture and all the other much better much more interesting parts of the movie were just thrown into the trash can

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in other some guy itt was watching movies on an airplane news i gave up halfway through mr smith goes to washington the entire thing is just a much worse and much dumber mr deeds go to town and i get very irritated thinking about how mr smith goes to washington is the better known movie despite it coming out much later and having a protagonist whos actually an idiot as opposed to just provincial

just comparing the two movies is pretty nuts because mr deeds becomes heroic by trying to give people jobs but mr smith is presented as heroic for trying to prevent the corrupt washington people from getting the ball rolling on a jobs plan not to mention that mr smiths plan of a self funded national boys camp is moronic and the entire plot point reads like capra has never once met an actual boy in his whole life

oh and this is a mild nitpick compared to everything else but i also really hated the romance with mr deeds it builds up pretty naturally with the reporter actually undergoing more dramatic character growth than mr deeds himself but in mr smith the secretary explicitly works for the title character and comes around to his way of thinking basically because shes a captive audience also i swear at least a third of her dialog just consists of talking about how much she hates working and wishes she just had a dude to gently caress instead which is pretty retrograde even for the thirties

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
legitimately thought you meant Adam Sandler's Mr. Deeds for a second

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to the Mark Wahlberg movie "Insurrection Day" about January 6, 2021

Directed by Peter Berg, produced by Michael Bay

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

KomradeX posted:

I've been going on for months about how Not Liz Warren doing "an epic burn" on some local party leader being a former factory worker shows just how much liberals hate the mere idea of working people rising above their station

I'm pretty sure you never watched the show because that's not what happens at all. No "epic burn" takes place at all much less how that character could be seen as Warren unless you think everything with a vagina is a clone of Warren. The entire scene was about party politics/bureaucracy and the erosion of the Soviet system in the 80's. Now you could actually critique that the dysfunction of the Soviet Union is played up, exaggerated and held to double standards by Western Media. In fact every non-cspam person I've talked to who watched the show came out of it thinking better of the Soviet Union than they did going in. Both because it showed many of the people running it in a good light, but more importantly because it shows (whether intentionally or not) that the Soviets were able to effectively manage a crisis that modern America (under either party) would be unable to. I've no joke heard people who watched it say "Good thing it happened in the 80's USSR because we'd have failed to deal with it until it irradiated the Western Hemisphere".

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just watched The Gentlemen. it’s a Guy Ritchie movie so you know what you’re getting and it delivers, Colin Farrell fuckin owns and the whole movie should have been about him. didn’t realize the one main guy was Hugh Grant til like halfway through

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i just learned that line tv appears to deal almost exclusively with gay boys love webdramas thats a very specific niche for a streaming service associated with a worldwide mainstream messenger application

apparently linetv has more intuitively appropriate content if youre like watching it from thailand but they only bother to pick up the international streaming rights for gay boys love webdramas

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I'm pretty sure you never watched the show because that's not what happens at all. No "epic burn" takes place at all much less how that character could be seen as Warren unless you think everything with a vagina is a clone of Warren. The entire scene was about party politics/bureaucracy and the erosion of the Soviet system in the 80's. Now you could actually critique that the dysfunction of the Soviet Union is played up, exaggerated and held to double standards by Western Media. In fact every non-cspam person I've talked to who watched the show came out of it thinking better of the Soviet Union than they did going in. Both because it showed many of the people running it in a good light, but more importantly because it shows (whether intentionally or not) that the Soviets were able to effectively manage a crisis that modern America (under either party) would be unable to. I've no joke heard people who watched it say "Good thing it happened in the 80's USSR because we'd have failed to deal with it until it irradiated the Western Hemisphere".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idb_qsAAe1c

This is what I'm talking about. This is a fictional character (I called not Liz Warren) the attitude here given by the the writers you see all over Liberals when talking about working class people. Regardless of the context of the show this is the attitude that professional class liberals show towards the working class all the loving time

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

KomradeX posted:

This is what I'm talking about. This is a fictional character (I called not Liz Warren) the attitude here given by the the writers you see all over Liberals when talking about working class people. Regardless of the context of the show this is the attitude that professional class liberals show towards the working class all the loving time

I know exactly the type of contempt you're talking about, but the scene is a bog standard "Politician won't listen to the scientist warning about the asteroid/Godzilla/earths core/aliens" scene.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Chernobyl is probably one the most positive depictions of the USSR in western media in recent decades. Which is hilarious because the creator seems to think it paints the USSR as a evil, dysfunctional system comparable to Nazi Germany.

quote:

Well, it was certainly one of my intentions to tell a Soviet story from the point of view of Soviet citizens, which meant being inside of them. Naturally, the second you get inside of them you immediately begin to empathize with them, which is the point. I’ve said many times: the Soviet system didn’t fall out of the sky and land in Russia. It was invented by human beings. The same thing happened in Nazi Germany. It is comforting to imagine there was something in the water in Berlin or something in the air in Moscow. There was not. It’s all us, all of it.

There is no question that, when I was writing this, I wanted not to suggest that the villain was some kind of Soviet system that could never exist anywhere else, but rather that the villain was a kind of Soviet thinking that absolutely can and absolutely has existed everywhere else. It comes in all different colors. Sometimes it pretends it’s on the right, and sometimes it pretends it’s on the left. But what it is, in reality, is a system of human beings controlling each other, demonizing each other and ruining each other, out of a kind of inherent human madness.
https://deadline.com/2019/08/chernobyl-creator-craig-mazin-emmys-hbo-interview-news-1202666703/

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
They def made sure to namedrop Holodomor in the episode where a soldier is forcibly evacuating a dairy and kills the old lady's now-irradiated cow.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I know exactly the type of contempt you're talking about, but the scene is a bog standard "Politician won't listen to the scientist warning about the asteroid/Godzilla/earths core/aliens" scene.

she barely even talks about the science though she literally spends more effort describing whats going to happen to the secretary than she does to him

like he might have actually listened to her if she gave him the whole youre gonna need these pills then or else youre going to die bit instead of just saying what do you know dumbass you worked at a shoe factory

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KomradeX posted:

she's too stupid to understand that he's not refuting her because he thinks he understands nuclear power plants but rather because in his position he's both relying on information from multiple sources and also had broad responsibilities and expectations for how to handle things. calling him out for being a deliberately obtuse politician would make sense, what was written is nothing more than braindead liberal credentialism leaking from the idiot writers onto the screen, as you noted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

The fact that the character even exists in the story is such egregious horseshit. Making her the one voice of reason working against the evil government suppressing information about the accident to save face when the reality was scientists from across the country working together to fix the disaster is so loving gross.