Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
good first ep back

a little Otto makes all the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Otto is the MvP Otacon to Subaru's Snake. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

good first ep back

a little Otto makes all the difference
Just what the doctor ordered. Puck. :cry:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Some rough translating for this episode.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
RIP Puck, died as he lived.

Not explaining poo poo

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I really hope there's some actual plan for Otto and Subaru doesn't honestly expect him to solo Garfield...

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AnoHito posted:

I really hope there's some actual plan for Otto and Subaru doesn't honestly expect him to solo Garfield...

Think how powerful Otto’s judo will be with berserker tiger Garfield’s weight

Also:

Puck 😭

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

paragon1 posted:

RIP Puck, died as he lived.

Not explaining poo poo

Is he actually dead, or just cut off from Emilia?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

maybe we'd have an answer if he bothered explaining poo poo

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Silver2195 posted:

:shrug:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I hope people are careful about spoilers because what you write in the spoiler tags aren't spoilered when you make a new post and scroll down before posting.

I will remark that that scene really feels awkward, like it was supposed to have a sort of transition but it just did like a smash cut.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I hope people are careful about spoilers because what you write in the spoiler tags aren't spoilered when you make a new post and scroll down before posting.

I will remark that that scene really feels awkward, like it was supposed to have a sort of transition but it just did like a smash cut.
WN Difference: The WN had Puck explaining 'the plan'; the LN cut it out for...surprise??

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 8, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Like this is a perfect example, I have no idea if this is a spoiler for something that happens later, is a web novel spoiler for something that should have happened now but likely was cut, and so on. If it was a big spoiler and I scrolled down that would have sucked.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have no idea what you mean by that because in the thread and the post new reply dialog spoiler tags behave the same, and unless you're mouseing over or clicking on them they are hidden.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah you need to be quoting someone for that to be an issue

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIE-1pdTqmM

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I’m worried this is going to be a dumb snape killing dumbledore plan that has like 30 moves all somehow perfectly planned out in advance.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Wark Say posted:

Just what the doctor ordered. Puck. :cry:

A story in two parts, as sent to a friend.
gently caress yeah, puck is back!
oh. poo poo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

I have no idea what you mean by that because in the thread and the post new reply dialog spoiler tags behave the same, and unless you're mouseing over or clicking on them they are hidden.

That didn't use to be the case for me, maybe it depends on what ublocker I had running? It used to be the case for me that I could scroll down and the spoiler tags weren't active.

But in any case the spoilers should really be tagged like Grouchio edited, because WN/production differences are one thing, don't wanna risk things that might inadvertently spoil future content.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Reposting from last page:

quote:

What Subaru faces in his current predicament:

o Emilia and any half-blood demi-humans in the area are stuck at Sanctuary, the graveyard/laboratory of the late Echidna
o To remove the barrier surrounding Sanctuary, someone with qualifications must pass Echidna's three trials (facing past, present and future)
o For reasons, Emilia cannot currently pass the first trial without a mental breakdown
o For reasons, Puck cannot manifest within the sanctuary, possibly due to Roswaal's interference
o Garfiel distrusts/hates Subaru's and Emilia's presence, especially if Subaru has mentioned he passed a trial (Cause, as Ryusu revealed, he tried and failed in the past)
o Garfiel can transform into a beserk tiger mabeast and rip apart anything in his path, especially humans
o There are multiple copies of Ryusu that have been managing the Sanctuary for 400 years.
o Betty has been trapped inside her mother Echidna's library for 400 years to satisfy a hypothesis
o Betty was revealed to be the spirit responsible for the pyroxene teleportations Subaru endured.
o Any time Subaru reaches the mansion, Elsa and Maylee are obligated by contract to assassinate him, Petra and Frederica (and Ram IIRC)
o Their contractor has been revealed to be Roswaal himself.
o Roswaal has been simping for Echidna for the past 400 years in an effort to revive her.
o Roswaal is aware that Subaru can loop (inference via his Gospel), but not how it activates.
o Roswaal is forcing Subaru to optimize into a crazy ruthless chessmaster like himself.
o Roswaal is also behind the summoning of snowfall that lures the Killer Wabbits to Sanctuary to devour everyone after a few days
o Satella gets extremely pissed if Subaru talks about RBD to Echidna during tea time, and will possess Emilia to go on a rampage if that occurs.
o Emilia will eventually go insane if she tries to pass the trials in her current state.
o Subaru has recently lost his trial qualifications after turning down Echidna's proposition.
o Subaru has realized that the one who's had the least confidence in Emilia is himself. That will not do.
o Otto hates being left out of the loop.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are you guys liking the second half of S2 so far?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I've only seen one episode but it was a good episode so yeah

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

Are you guys liking the second half of S2 so far?

Go back into your pocket dimension, Grouchio, and come back in 3 episodes. :colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i'd like it more if i didn't have this weird feeling of some weirdo constantly peering over my shoulder asking me if i'm having fun lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Futaba Anzu posted:

i'd like it more if i didn't have this weird feeling of some weirdo constantly peering over my shoulder asking me if i'm having fun lol
I am too excited I apologize.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
Subaru's stupid 'bet' scene really detracted from the horrific climax of last season, it doesn't make any sense at all, that outcome is not what the antagonist wants, and worst of all it shows us that he's not really learning, improving himself, still acting like a cocky rear end in a top hat. I understand what sin he encompasses, but that was still really lame.

Other than that, the ep was good. I dislike that we're kept in the dark as to Puck and Subaru's conversation, but that's forgivable. Iguess. More on the same character: It's pretty bad that Puck has been there all along in all past timelines but only showed up because Subaru faked wanting to choke out Emilia, I expected something important to be keeping him away, something to resolve. Emilia was in plenty of danger before and Puck just did... nothing, for seemingly no reason.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I am too excited I apologize.

You’ve got big energy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Soks posted:

Subaru's stupid 'bet' scene really detracted from the horrific climax of last season, it doesn't make any sense at all, that outcome is not what the antagonist wants, and worst of all it shows us that he's not really learning, improving himself, still acting like a cocky rear end in a top hat. I understand what sin he encompasses, but that was still really lame.

Uhh you do know the bet is Otto's plan. And Subaru does understand, and also part of what he said is that he is not going to change himself for Roswaal, and he is also going to win this loop.

I think you misunderstood what happened.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's understandable to be a bit confused.

The translation was a little dodgy and the scene was cut down to the bare bones. Same thing happened in episode 11's beating scene. I've seen people questioning the exact terms of the bet and Roswell not asking some obvious questions. Both things that were laid out in the LN.

The anime is much ambiguous about certain things which can be both a strength and a weakness.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really lost the plot on Roswaal and Subaru's bet. He's betting he can save everyone and if he does Roswaal has to throw his book away? Why? What does Roswaal get by winning? The status quo?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really lost the plot on Roswaal and Subaru's bet. He's betting he can save everyone and if he does Roswaal has to throw his book away? Why? What does Roswaal get by winning? The status quo?

If Roswaal wins Subaru does what Roswaal wants him to do, which is to say, accept that he has to make sacrifices in order to win and proceed (in future lives) with that in mind.

He has no way to enforce this but Roswaal is already explicitly suicidal, his only remaining investment in this timeline is breaking Subaru's spirit so he can rebuild him in his own mold, at which point (as far as Roswaal knows, keeping in mind he doesn't perfectly understand how RBD works) Subaru will voluntarily rewind time, take the necessary steps, and another version of Roswaal will be there to guide him. From his current perspective he basically has nothing to lose.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2021

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
I guess I did miss the bet being Otto's plan, but there's just not a single thing previously-established Roswaal gets out of the bet, he's engineered such an insane situation that Subaru breaking down and making a sacrifice is the natural course of things.

And yeah, Roswaal not asking any questions, just going "oh, I see, oh" about this bizarre confrontation really brings him down a notch from the horror we saw him as last time. I really, really liked the way Roswaal was handled at the end of last cour, dumbing him down to someone Subaru can just smugly-smugface at while saying "I'm going to unravel all your plots ever and there's nothing you can do!" ruins a bit of that for me. Sounded like a good time for Roswaal to beat the poo poo out of him again, maybe another encounter with The Great Rabbit and pseudo-possessed Emilia would set him on the 'right' path.

Idk, I'll be really sad if Subaru friendship punches Roswaal and he just goes along with Subaru's ideas for the future. The Roswaal of a couple eps ago did not seem like a being that could remotely be reasoned with, and him hatching this horrific plot in the first place suggests that too. I guess I'd be remotely happy with him 'going along' with Subaru then engineering even more absurdly impossible plots against him. Infinitely nested trolley problems!

Also, S2's been good, but I really miss the world building and the rest of the kingdom and its characters. :smith: I'll probably break and read the LNs once this finishes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The way I saw it, Roswaal was just smiling and nodding and thinking "good loving luck, sucker." The only possible result of it, as far as he can tell, is that Subaru experiences an even more crushing despair for the next loop, so why not? What does he have to lose?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Soks posted:

Other than that, the ep was good. I dislike that we're kept in the dark as to Puck and Subaru's conversation, but that's forgivable. Iguess. More on the same character: It's pretty bad that Puck has been there all along in all past timelines but only showed up because Subaru faked wanting to choke out Emilia, I expected something important to be keeping him away, something to resolve. Emilia was in plenty of danger before and Puck just did... nothing, for seemingly no reason.

I mean, that's all because puck is following roswaals orders though, right? roswaal clearly has some degree of control over puck, and was ordered to hide from Amelia (and later on to cover the land with magical snow) in order to make her feel even more alone

presumably his connection to emilia is still in place even, he's just been weakened by breaking his contract with roswaal by talking to her

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today's episode is titled "Otto/Reason to Believe".

In summary: :kiss:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

egg tats posted:

I mean, that's all because puck is following roswaals orders though, right? roswaal clearly has some degree of control over puck, and was ordered to hide from Amelia (and later on to cover the land with magical snow) in order to make her feel even more alone

presumably his connection to emilia is still in place even, he's just been weakened by breaking his contract with roswaal by talking to her

I believe Roswaal was doing the snow on his own. As the Kingdom's most powerful mage I doubt that would be hard.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm actually kind of disappointed by Otto's backstory. I feel like he was a much better character when he was just a regular-rear end merchant way out of his depth, and he really didn't need the bullshit divine superpower or anything to make him cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnoHito posted:

I'm actually kind of disappointed by Otto's backstory. I feel like he was a much better character when he was just a regular-rear end merchant way out of his depth, and he really didn't need the bullshit divine superpower or anything to make him cool.

He's had the Divine super power the whole time. We knew he could talk with animals since last season. He did it several times this season. Plus Divine Protections are not rare. We know several people that have them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

From the end of the first season, for illustration's purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Did anyone else expect Subaru to suddenly eat it at the end there? :v: