Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you took all the ft13 stuff out of Jason goes to hell and it was its own thing, I think it would probably be remembered as an okay slasher movie, unique mainly for when it came out. With the FT13 stuff it's really loving trash though. Nothing you want out of one of those movies, but also nothing really interesting or subversive enough to justify the radical changes to the formula that people wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Kvlt! posted:

a bad Ft13th movie

There is no such thing and that’s why it’s the best Slasher Franchise

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ok so that opening does kinda own.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Watching a product of the second largest film industry after Bollywood, New Zealand horror comedy, called Fresh Meat. It is very very horny and about a well to do cannibal family

I was like "I wonder why this movie has the LGBT tag on amazon" and the first minute has lesbian teens coquettishly showering together

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 8, 2021

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
There's a line where a woke teen accepts that he's about to be butchered because he respects their culture and the cannibal dad says "oh we're not Mauri cannibals, we're cannibals that happen to be Mauri"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Possessor was great but I was expecting more gore and dicks.

As is it's got the optimal level of cocks and blood for any film but from the hype I was expecting a smorgasbord of slaughter and schlongs.

Easily one of my favourite films of the year though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Horror Thread: it's got the optimal level of cocks and blood

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

a smorgasbord of slaughter and schlongs.
Easily one of my favourite avatar/post combos of the year.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's badly directed/written/lit/scored/acted, for one thing.

Oh well if you're going to nitpick sure,

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My issue with Jason Goes to Hell is that it tries to adopt the early-90s horror aesthetic, and along with the addition of new lore, it just feels a lot different from the 8 films that precede it. It's hard to fault it for that, because by 1993, a film that feels like it is from the 1980s would have been antiquated. It just doesn't really work for the Friday series.

Creighton Duke rules, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I do think the idea of Jason's father being this mysterious, possibly supernatural person is pretty interesting, and if I was in charge of the series, is something I would do something with if I was in charge. That's the one really interesting idea Goes to Hell introduced.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The uncut tent kill is probably one of the top deaths from the whole series imo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vince MechMahon posted:

I do think the idea of Jason's father being this mysterious, possibly supernatural person is pretty interesting, and if I was in charge of the series, is something I would do something with if I was in charge. That's the one really interesting idea Goes to Hell introduced.

I could easily see this being the Judge or something.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

People always point to Jason’s dad being a silly thing that the franchise thankfully sidestepped but it’s not like it didn’t get maximally silly without it so yeah whatever hit me with some Pappy Voorhees

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Karloff posted:

The uncut tent kill is probably one of the top deaths from the whole series imo.

For sure.

Jason without Jason is an idea that never should have gotten out of the first draft I mean come on.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the opening scene is one of the best moments in the F13 franchise but the good version of Jason Goes to Hell is The Hidden.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

So Jason Goes to Hell. I enjoyed the opening, I enjoyed Duke and I even enjoyed all the fan service stuff of the Evil Dead knife, Necromicon, a dead mother in the basement who becomes possessed by a demon, all the camera angles, the Creepshow “Arctic Expedition” crate. I think the productions heart was in the right place. It so badly wanted to be apart of the 6/7 crowd of being in on the joke of a long running franchise but it also tries to play it too seriously and wants to build a mythos that isn’t really there and hasn’t been there ever really (you could argue that bits and pieces of demonic energy being in the early films but nah). There’s a better movie in Jason Goes to Hell if they embraced the slapstick a lot more, had a lead that could do the nerd to hero better and we saw more goopy deaths like we got with the deputy sheriff. It’s less of a disappointment that 8 absolutely is (Jason never took manhattan, let’s be real.) but it doesn’t hit those highs of 6/7 which are the best of the franchise (:colbert:) but isn’t as bad as 5/8. It’s right there in the middle level of quality with 1/3.

It could’ve been so much better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jason's dad should be an avatar of Nyarlathotep. His birth defects are because he's only half human. This is why he can't die. It's also why he stays at Crystal Lake, which is itself a sacred site and he brings the coming of the great old ones closer with each kill. This should never be stated outright, but implied in the background.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
If only it were acted and directed better. The camera choices feel so incredibly amateurish, and most of the acting is local theater level bad. The mythos is super dumb but could be fun if everyone wasn't so leaden and awkward.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even like the one "good" scene in the movie is done terribly. The FBI ambushes Jason but everyone looks ridiculous instead of like professionals, the decoy he was chasing does a tactical roll for no reason whatsoever, and then when they actually shoot him up someone thought "oh some bullets should ricochet off his machete and spark" which is a fine idea but it happens so many times it makes it look like the machete got hit more than his entire loving body did.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m putting on Jason X....

I should get high(er).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jason X owns

Has probably the best death in the whole series

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

dorium posted:

I’m putting on Jason X....

I should get high(er).

Talking of getting high I did acid and watched Beyond the Black Rainbow then Possessor last weekend, a cultured pairing.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

Talking of getting high I did acid and watched Beyond the Black Rainbow then Possessor last weekend, a cultured pairing.

I rewatched Possessor stoned out of my mind the other night, I can’t even imagine watching it on LSD

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Even like the one "good" scene in the movie is done terribly. The FBI ambushes Jason but everyone looks ridiculous instead of like professionals, the decoy he was chasing does a tactical roll for no reason whatsoever, and then when they actually shoot him up someone thought "oh some bullets should ricochet off his machete and spark" which is a fine idea but it happens so many times it makes it look like the machete got hit more than his entire loving body did.
It's also such an atrocious Jason design. It feels very much like how someone would dress up as Jason at a lovely Haunted House.

Also, the more annoying about about Goes to Hell is that they come up with these whole mythos for how he possess people. In Part VI, Jason just becomes a frankenzombie because he got hit by lightening and that's how things work. It's a horror movie, lightening makes people into frankenzombies. Duh.

I'm totally fine with Jason possessing people because he's dead now and thusly a ghost so of course he can do that.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 9, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Jason X owns

Has probably the best death in the whole series

I would say the two best, even.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the face smash and the space vacuum deaths *chefkiss*

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

the face smash and the space vacuum deaths *chefkiss*

I was gonna say the face smash and the beating to death of one person with another person.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Honorable mention goes to frozen Jason falling over and lopping the dudes arm off even though it doesn’t kill him (yet)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That doesn’t count tho

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Jason X, Freddy vs Jason, hell even the remake, I miss having a Friday the 13th to see in theatres. It was always a blast.

I mean, I miss seeing anything in theatres at this point, point, but even before that I missed having a Friday the 13th

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

CelticPredator posted:

That doesn’t count tho

I know, I just wanted to point out it’s hilarious and rules.

Unrelated: 30 Coins first episode is pretty great.

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 9, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Jedit posted:

Horror Thread: it's got the optimal level of cocks and blood

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's also such an atrocious Jason design. It feels very much like how someone would dress up as Jason at an lovely Haunted House.

I actually love the gross bloated flesh Jason design, my biggest complaint about Jason Goes to Hell is it's only in the movie for five minutes

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:toot:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Week 2 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, January 9th

1900 Corona Zombies
2010 I Stand Alone
2205 The Bloodstained Butterfly

Monday, January 11th

1900 The Happening
2040 The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
2230 Under the Skin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually love the gross bloated flesh Jason design, my biggest complaint about Jason Goes to Hell is it's only in the movie for five minutes

Also we never see him unmasked.

Though the video game has a decent interpretation

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 9, 2021

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think it’d be worse if he had to be more mobile cause Kane Hodder as jacked as he is still looks like he has pillows under that costume

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like the idea of he design in goes to hell because it's meant to reflect all the damage he's taken in the previous movies. But in practice it looks kinda like poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My biggest complaint with Freddy vs Jason að a kid is that Jason didn't really reflect the damage he'd taken in previous films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Still love Jason Goes to Hell, f the haters