Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I unironically liked everything they did with the X-teens, which unfortunately do not comprise enough of the film.

Oh and the title sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The best way to intro a new and incredibly threatening villain is to have him get owned by a bunch of regular humans armed with hammers and stone blocks

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Birdman is pretentious imo. Though there are some formal mechanics to it that are interesting, it's largely shallow with the illusion of depth and Iñárritu strikes me as a filmmaker who can't transcend gimmickry.

As for the Keaton news, I think a lot of people are running with it a little far. The main source is this:

https://twitter.com/brooksbarnesNYT/status/1345195656780996608

Which is as reliable a source as one can get, but, says incredibly little and doesn't seem to confirm that Keaton is going to be the Batman of the DCEU, It only seems to confirm that he will have his own Batman project outside of the Flash film. Up thread there is the idea that Battinson's film will be a one off with Keaton being the mainline Batman, but I'd put money on the opposite being true. Battinson's project is one that is tied into a TV series already, and has a younger star who could conceivably play the character for years to come. Keaton's will be a one-off I reckon and will be a Dark Knight Returns style thing. Or alternately a Batman Beyond film which, granted, could be multiple entries, but in that case Keaton wouldn't be Batman so much as the mentor figure and there'd be a new younger actor playing Future Batman.

As for a Batman in the DCEU continuity, I think that will remain Affleck. Not that there will be any more Affleck films, but more likely the DCEU as a cohesive unit will be slowly shuffled off with the multi-verse stuff taking over. Flash will be his goodbye and I wouldn't even be surprised if he dies in it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I thought very highly of Birdman when it came out and I think Keaton definitely deserved the Oscar over the guy who won it for playing Stephen Hawking, but I recognize over the years as being one of the most pretentious films I've ever seen. The critic scene is just bad even though the critic is basically a CD Poster so you'd think I had some catharsis of Keaton mocking her. Keaton is the only person that holds that movie together imo.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Karloff posted:

Birdman is pretentious imo. Though there are some formal mechanics to it that are interesting, it's largely shallow with the illusion of depth and Iñárritu strikes me as a filmmaker who can't transcend gimmickry.

As for the Keaton news, I think a lot of people are running with it a little far. The main source is this:

Which is as reliable a source as one can get, but, says incredibly little and doesn't seem to confirm that Keaton is going to be the Batman of the DCEU, It only seems to confirm that he will have his own Batman project outside of the Flash film. Up thread there is the idea that Battinson's film will be a one off with Keaton being the mainline Batman, but I'd put money on the opposite being true. Battinson's project is one that is tied into a TV series already, and has a younger star who could conceivably play the character for years to come. Keaton's will be a one-off I reckon and will be a Dark Knight Returns style thing. Or alternately a Batman Beyond film which, granted, could be multiple entries, but in that case Keaton wouldn't be Batman so much as the mentor figure and there'd be a new younger actor playing Future Batman.

https://twitter.com/brooksbarnesNYT/status/1346295818836271105

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aphrodite posted:

If you eyepunch things hard enough the energy transfer would start a fire.

How hard would cyclops need to look at a chicken to cook it?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Depends how hard you throw it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Karloff posted:

As for a Batman in the DCEU continuity, I think that will remain Affleck. Not that there will be any more Affleck films, but more likely the DCEU as a cohesive unit will be slowly shuffled off with the multi-verse stuff taking over. Flash will be his goodbye and I wouldn't even be surprised if he dies in it.

Wasn't Snyder's plan to kill off Batfleck in JL 2 anyway?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Karloff posted:

This all assumes that the “somehow more troubled than the average DC production” Flash movie actually happens. And that production is like, “setting fires and the neighbors keep asking where their pets went” level troubled.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ahhhh yeah there's some shameless engagement bait.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All the X men movies are tainted to me because of Singer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its funny that I used to think the X-Men franchise continuity was confusing and now we have this.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This all assumes that the “somehow more troubled than the average DC production” Flash movie actually happens. And that production is like, “setting fires and the neighbors keep asking where their pets went” level troubled.

I reckon it will despite that, they've really talked it up, and Hamada sounds all in in that interview.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Its funny that I used to think the X-Men franchise continuity was confusing and now we have this.

Don't worry, the X-Men will be getting introduced into the MCU after the MCU is supposed to be doing poo poo with the multiverse, so I'm sure X-Men will find a way to catch up on being confusing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will be very surprised if the WandaVision show makes no references to mutants

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

"No, more mutants."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Supposedly Evan Peters is actually reprising his role as Quicksilver.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In my wildest imagination the sitcom fantasy has Evan Peters and Michael Fassbender come over as Vision's inlaws.

Then Wanda yells "no, more mutants" and Ryan Reynolds jumps through the window.

I'm definitely watching WandaVision as soon as its online to avoid any possible spoilers, or disappointing unspoilers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanda and Pietro being mutants and the Infinity Stone jumpstarting their powers is also a possible idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there was some throwaway line about how they were the only ones who it worked on so you could easily retcon that as being their x genes.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
you know, I just realized that the complete fumbling of the bag of WW84 also means that the only OTHER Wonder Woman villain worth a drat (Circe) is now completely off the table.....as Marvel is already gonna have a Circe (Sersi) in Eternals.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Knives Amilli posted:

you know, I just realized that the complete fumbling of the bag of WW84 also means that the only OTHER Wonder Woman villain worth a drat (Circe) is now completely off the table.....as Marvel is already gonna have a Circe (Sersi) in Eternals.

I don't think anyone actually cares about this who is in charge of making the movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Codependent Poster posted:

Supposedly Evan Peters is actually reprising his role as Quicksilver.
Huh. Hadn’t heard that. If the upcoming Spider-Man casting is to be believed, I guess it’s a potential free-for-all now with old Marvel stuff then

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, there was some throwaway line about how they were the only ones who it worked on so you could easily retcon that as being their x genes.

Not technically a retcon if there was no reason given other than *shrug*

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm still not sure what Ray Fisher is actually accusing anyone of? Details seem to be really vague on what exactly it is aside from "unprofessional" behaviour? I'm guessing it must be very serious if Ray Fisher, who is basically an unknown actor, is willing to damage his career over it?

It's hard to try and figure what the accusations actually ARE from most reporting. I managed to find more info on Fisher not wanting to say "boo-yah", than anything more concrete.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He can be very scattershot at times, but it's stuff like belittling actors, racism and sexism.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

His main goal seems to be actually enforcing change at WB to protect future actors, not feeding gossip rags

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He's never gone into specifics because his lawyers told him not to while the investigation was going on, and now that it's settled I'm guessing there's some sort of gag order on it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's good, it's just extremely weird for the layman without more information to actually discern what's going on. It's fine that we aren't the audience for his message, but it runs counter to our natural human curiosity to have it stay this vague.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AdmiralViscen posted:

His main goal seems to be actually enforcing change at WB to protect future actors, not feeding gossip rags
Yeah, it's mainly concerned with changing the professional culture on sets so that it's less hostile to PoC, I believe.

OldMemes posted:

I'm still not sure what Ray Fisher is actually accusing anyone of?
Wrt the Execs he's calling for accountability and also calling out the people who shielded/covered/mudslinged when his initial displeasure and later accusations came up. Things like "oh, so-and-so said they'd blame it all on (producer)" when it was direct action by Joss and (whomever) he was concerned with.

There's still legal wrangling going on so it's not like he can say outright that "Joss said I should stand in the back of the Hero Shot because it messed with the 'shot balance'". He's also disappointed that his voice wasn't of value when compared to how Snyder worked with him to craft the character-- that one seems like it could just be attributed to directorial style but when paired with the other aggressions he noted it leaves a bad taste.

Keep in mind, some of the things he's likely noting might seem like complete writeoffs until you realize it's part of a greater trend in the industry.
I.e. John Boyega noted that his hairstylist on one of the Sequel Trilogy films was like "oh yeah I totally can cut and style Black hair" and not only did they lie, but they were so bad at it Boyega basically took on his hairdressing for a while.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What's happened? Is there a link someone can share?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I suppose the difference is that John Boyega was very clear in his messaging - he wanted some things changed in the industry so that everyone can have more opportunities, and he's a proven actor who has shown that he can pull it off (if you've not seen Detroit, he's fantastic in it) - he wants to use his celebrity to make the table longer and that's great.

Fisher has been vague - it's hard to make any kind of analysis on the situation when he doesn't do into specifics and keep hinting at what his issues were and making indirect tweets. Plus he seems to be framing it around himself, rather than around a community idea like Boyea. Justice League should have been the guy's big break, but it sounds like it was a very poorly managed project, especially after Synder had to pull out. Remaking it into a miniseries should be an interesting experiment, but it sounds like production was very, very rough. Hopefully Fisher gets closure and is able to move on with his career - Cyborg wasn't great, but then none of the characters were - but he was good in True Detective, so hopefully he gets more work and can tone his talents.

And if there was misconduct, then it should of cause be addressed, and new policies and oversight be put in place to prevent a repeat of it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

FilthyImp posted:

I.e. John Boyega noted that his hairstylist on one of the Sequel Trilogy films was like "oh yeah I totally can cut and style Black hair" and not only did they lie, but they were so bad at it Boyega basically took on his hairdressing for a while.

Oh my God no, you can not trust white people in general with black hair. I understand that it's possible that a white hairdresser could have the experience necessary to do black hair but it doesn't seem worth the risk, especially when the average black American woman off the street would still be better equipped.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

OldMemes posted:

I suppose the difference is that John Boyega was very clear in his messaging - he wanted some things changed in the industry so that everyone can have more opportunities, and he's a proven actor who has shown that he can pull it off (if you've not seen Detroit, he's fantastic in it) - he wants to use his celebrity to make the table longer and that's great.

Fisher has been vague - it's hard to make any kind of analysis on the situation when he doesn't do into specifics and keep hinting at what his issues were and making indirect tweets. Plus he seems to be framing it around himself, rather than around a community idea like Boyea. Justice League should have been the guy's big break, but it sounds like it was a very poorly managed project, especially after Synder had to pull out. Remaking it into a miniseries should be an interesting experiment, but it sounds like production was very, very rough. Hopefully Fisher gets closure and is able to move on with his career - Cyborg wasn't great, but then none of the characters were - but he was good in True Detective, so hopefully he gets more work and can tone his talents.

And if there was misconduct, then it should of cause be addressed, and new policies and oversight be put in place to prevent a repeat of it.

Fisher is a union organizer, he isn’t making it about himself, he knows exactly what he’s doing, and he’s already getting results

This doesn’t all need to be completely visible to us as individuals at this moment

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
He's right

https://twitter.com/MichaelKeaton/status/1347015453550407681

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Fisher is a union organizer, he isn’t making it about himself, he knows exactly what he’s doing, and he’s already getting results

This doesn’t all need to be completely visible to us as individuals at this moment

Like...is he getting results?

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/geoff-johns-ray-fisher-justice-league-1234881046/

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's getting really messy. There's no doubt Fisher's complaints are genuine. Warner Media have taken action, at least against Joss Whedon, and the stories have been corroborated by enough people to remove any doubt. Anyway you cut it it's sadly gonna have deleterious effects on his career, so there's no way he would push this unless he's got a real need for justice to be done. He has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose.

That said, I think some of this tweets are tactically unwise. It asks a lot from people to condemn without any sort of clear allegation as to what happened, other than drips and drabs that have come through. The Hamada stuff I think is causing people to drop away from him because Hamada wasn't present during Justice League. And though Fisher's complaint is that Hamada interfered with the investigation as opposed to take part in the abuse, that fact has been obscured in all the shuffle. I think he needs to join up with someone who can write an expose article of the entire situation, because at the moment, the tweets aren't helping I think. Reading the response there's a lot more scepticism then there was with a lot people saying sentiments to the effect of "I was with you before but now...."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did WB take action against Whedon? The only person whose word we have on that is Fisher, who apparently is wrong about action being taken against Johns. Whedon says he quit due to stress of working during covid which sure does sound like bullshit but now with all of this it kind of hurts Fisher's credability.

I have no doubt he has the best of intentions in mind and is genuinely trying to improve working conditions for black actors but I also don't think he really has any idea what he's doing. You also have that whole thing where he says he won't work in any movie that's under Hamada, but then blasts The Wire writer as "doing WarnerMedia's bidding" or whatever when it's reported that he's not going to be in The Flash, and then trying to take some weird loophole that somehow the statement he made doesn't mean he's not going to be in that movie? All I can think of is that he geniunely thinks they're going to take the movie away from Hamada, and that's...not going to happen. It's really not going to happen.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 8, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It sort of depends on how you define results with respect to Johns. He's no longer an executive at WarnerMedia, but they still have a business relationship with his production company to make Stargirl for them. Plus, WW84 was written waaay before all this started so it's a little unfair to point to that as an example of Warner still being in the Geoff Johns business. Likewise, those other EP credits are probably contractual holdovers from his time as DC CCO, I mean hell, Andrew Kriesberg's name is still all over the CWVerse shows and he got fired years ago. So depending on how you want to parse it both things are true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

howe_sam posted:

It sort of depends on how you define results with respect to Johns. He's no longer an executive at WarnerMedia, but they still have a business relationship with his production company to make Stargirl for them. Plus, WW84 was written waaay before all this started so it's a little unfair to point to that as an example of Warner still being in the Geoff Johns business. Likewise, those other EP credits are probably contractual holdovers from his time as DC CCO, I mean hell, Andrew Kriesberg's name is still all over the CWVerse shows and he got fired years ago. So depending on how you want to parse it both things are true?

No, it's really not. Johns was never an executive at WarnerMedia. He was a chief creative officer at DC Entertainment and left that position in 2018, years before Fisher said anything. As the article says, he's still actively the showrunner of Stargirl and producing a show that's still coming up. There's been no mention of him being removed from either of those,.

So, it sure looks like nothing happened to him much less Fisher's claim that he'll be leaving.