Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

They're going to kill the eternal slave girl and the PTSD guy and everyone will come together and sing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

It would establish a way for the threat of Titans to be eliminated without Zeke’s euthanasia plan.

But what about the "every non eldian wants every eldian dead" problem?

Not every. There's Onyankopon right there!

It's just the overwhelming majority of all non-Eldians. Hardly an issue in comparison!

A bit of a filler chapter, yeah, but Pieck getting to show off even more of why she's the best Warrior is great. I think Isayama realizing he was so close to 139 slowed things down a bit to give everyone more panel time before the end. The chapters around 120 had enough insanity go down that I'm sure there's enough room to finish things properly.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the whole world's ending and the Marleyans still can't help but pull their guns on approaching Eldian refugees lmao. maybe Eren is right

Eeepies posted:

Pieck looks frightening when she's fighting seriously, her constant transformations back and forth is insane.

it rules

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yo this chapter ruled I don't know what y'all are talking about

sure we're only a few chapters from the end but I always felt it'd be an abrupt, miserable finale rather than anything good and long-lasting for any of our protagonists

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Yeah I'm not getting the complaints? Reception was good for the chapter everywhere else and I would be very surprised if the final chapter isn't bigger than normal. We have three more chapters and next chapter will be the conclusion of this fight, with it partly spilling over into the next for a couple of pages at most I'm gonna bet

He's planned everything meticulously so far, have a little faith in Isayama to have a strong finish . He definitely earnt that faith after all this time.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
3 chapters left and they still haven't exploded the neck? We're not getting a victorious happy ending. This might be the most depressing and hopeless final fights I've ever read.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't know if I just had more coffee in me or what, but the action in this chapter was significantly more readable for me than in the previous.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
This was a good chapter and I'm not worried about hypotheticals re # of chapters remaining to wrap up because the author has earned my trust.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I think it was confirmed to end in april so chapter #139

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So a happy ending is pretty solidly off the table at this point, yeah?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Important question: is Zeke officially more depressed than Reiner now?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Flesnolk posted:

It would establish a way for the threat of Titans to be eliminated without Zeke’s euthanasia plan.

But what about the "every non eldian wants every eldian dead" problem?

Honestly at this point Eren has already trampled so much of the world that even if he's stopped the survivors might not have the population or the infrastructure/technology to be a threat to Paradis. Paradis could well be the only state that still exists at this point. It depends on how exactly far flung all those places we saw get trampled in the montage were.

christmas boots posted:

I don't know that scene with Gabi pointing out the centipede that gave Ymir powers coming out of Eren at the same time she's talking about being a good shot with an anti-tank rifle makes me suspect she'll shoot the weak point for massive damage and turn off all the Titans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Define "happy".

Hundreds of millions are dead already, including most of Paradis's government, Eren's either dead or going to be haunted by crippling guilt the rest of his life, even in the best case the world's not getting over its prejudices overnight... that's all in the math.

But right now, things are looking like they're going to end with the world saved to some extent, and at least some of the main cast surviving.

Probably not going to be all bright side or anything, but the flashforward of Mikasa we see in Eren's memories has her smiling and crying at once. Figure we're due for some good mixed in with the bad for the finale.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
What are your readings on what's going on? Because everywhere else people seem insistent that Ymir is behind the whole thing and has been from the get-go and that Eren's either gonna wake up and stop her or enact some counter-masterplan. Do any of you folks actually agree with this? Because I can't really find a way to spin this, and imo it'd be pretty lame. I feel like Eren has made his intentions clear, and I don't think he needs to have some sort of alternative angle. People point to the puppet imagery, which is definitely there, but I interpreted that as more of a callback to Kenny's "everyone is a slave to something" speech, with Eren being a slave to freedom.
I dunno, can somebody explain why this is something they predicted/wanted?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I don't know about "wanted" - but there are certainly several breadcrumbs that rationalize the prediction. The fact the Ymir did let the pigs go is a big deal - in that way Eren is the descendant that matches her most closely. It could be argued that Ymir designed the attack titan (who, like Ymir, is missing the anatomy to speak) to value freedom above anything else so that it would return to her in paths and set her free.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I mainly just don't want the series to go "Oh, Eren didn't actually mean to do the Rumbling, it's not his fault", because that would suck.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eren's Redemption Arc

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Eren's plan is to push things to the point where he must be killed again which exposes the Titan parasite for a brief window allowing it to be shot by Gabi and the Titan menace to be dealt with, freeing Ymir from her endless misery and Eldians from the curse of Titanization.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Eej posted:

Eren's plan is to push things to the point where he must be killed again which exposes the Titan parasite for a brief window allowing it to be shot by Gabi and the Titan menace to be dealt with, freeing Ymir from her endless misery and Eldians from the curse of Titanization.

Maybe that's Ymir's goal, but it doesn't make sense for Eren. We've seen his memories and heard his internal monologue. His goal is to protect Paradis and eradicate the cycle of hatred by destroying the rest of the world. He specifically acknowledges that he's doing incalculably more damage than a purge of Paradis would do, but he doesn't care, because he can't accept that alternative.
Maybe Ymir is using the same means for a different goal of destroying the parasite (until otherwise stated, I'm gonna call it Nidhogg, because the Norse parallels are getting stronger and stronger) inside the Founding Titan? I can't see her as this mastermind though since she was completely passive until Eren woke her rear end up. And if she was controlling him the whole time, then what was the point of the pageantry with Eren and her in the Paths realm. Talking to herself? For me, the most logical explanation is that she just sees Eren as a kindred spirit (or an inheritor for her desire for freedom), and is just going along with it at this point.
It's curious that she brought Armin to the Paths realm instead of just crunching him and being done with it. Zeke explicitly says Ymir did it, rather than Eren, and Armin seems to think that Ymir's the one who's been attacking them. So which is it? Eren didn't bring Armin to stop Ymir. And if Ymir brought him to Paths realm and is truly the evil mastermind, she's just sabotaging herself. I think the volume preview said something like "a girl dreams of a world free of curses."
I have no loving clue.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Eren as the Founder can already just wish away the Eldians' ability to transform into titans whenever he wants. Ksaver revealed to Zeke that the Founder can alter Eldians at will, hence the Euthanization plan. There doesn't seem to be a reason to go through the rigmarole of killing the centipede by tricking the Alliance into doing it.

My theory was that Eren was trying to unite all of the nine titans together in preparation of Ymir's reincarnation by reforming her fractured soul. After all, Zeke and Armin have already been absorbed, Reiner was almost chomped by Bertolt's Colossal, and Pieck was skewered by the Warhammer in preparation for another one eating her. However, in this chapter we saw a bunch of Pieck's titans get torn to shreds with seemingly no attempt to take her alive, so that theory seems unlikely at this point.

So now we're left trying to make sense of what Eren and Ymir are doing. Ymir seems to be defending Eren all on her own. Eren, strangely, seems to be making no attempt to defend himself whatsoever. Does he just trust Ymir to do it? Cause all things considered she's really screwing the pooch so far if her actual intent is to kill the Alliance. The Alliance should have been killed immediately: they're outnumbered a hundred to one by intelligent titans - each of which would be boss-level opponent in any of the earlier arcs - and yet Levi, who was already half-dead, is the only casualty. Each chapter dangles the prospect of the Alliance getting slaughtered but against all odds they just keep surviving. The longer the farce goes on, the better the explanation has to be for why Eren and Ymir don't just win immediately.

This is why I'm getting anxious about the story's resolution. I genuinely can't tell anymore if Ymir and Eren are holding back for inscrutable reasons, which doesn't appear to be the case given how earnestly the titans are attacking, or if it's just plot armor fuckery to drag out the fighting until the Alliance can pull an impossible victory out of their asses. The dreaded Lelouch ending (whether it is intentional or inadvertent, with Eren actually trying to Rumble everything and still losing) looms over the story like a sword of Damocles. I'm equally concerned about Armin Talk No Jutsuing either Eren or Ymir and somehow securing peace with the rest of the world despite the Rumbling (even a partial one) being the complete validation of the world's hatred of Eldians.

I don't think that will happen because everything in the story (as well as the final panel) points to Eren winning, and I generally trust Isayama at delivering at this point given his track record. However, he also wouldn't be the first author to stumble at the final hurdle. And it may be the case where the ending works but the execution is flawed. As I said before, if there's a twist coming to justify Eren and Ymir's behavior, it's gonna have to be a doozy.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
What is the Lelouch ending?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's the Emperor of Dune ending

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bleck posted:

What is the Lelouch ending?

Eren set this whole thing up to make himself the villain to the world, then he dies on purpose to unite everyone as friends.

Frankly, it's dull.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Honestly what happened with the Eldians at the beginning of the chapter seems like the biggest potential warning sign to me of the ending getting dumb. If the boom sound effects where they and the Marleyans gunning each other down we’re getting an Eren wins ending. If the booms were that one Markeyan shooting into the air to calm people down we’re getting an Alliance wins and everyone becomes friends ending. We probably won’t see the resolution to that scene until the ending is obvious though.

Regrettably the way it was written to me makes it seem like the latter is more likely.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 8, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

chiasaur11 posted:

Eren set this whole thing up to make himself the villain to the world, then he dies on purpose to unite everyone as friends.

Frankly, it's dull.

Yeah, that'd be lame and lovely.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

So now we're left trying to make sense of what Eren and Ymir are doing. Ymir seems to be defending Eren all on her own. Eren, strangely, seems to be making no attempt to defend himself whatsoever. Does he just trust Ymir to do it? Cause all things considered she's really screwing the pooch so far if her actual intent is to kill the Alliance. The Alliance should have been killed immediately: they're outnumbered a hundred to one by intelligent titans - each of which would be boss-level opponent in any of the earlier arcs - and yet Levi, who was already half-dead, is the only casualty. Each chapter dangles the prospect of the Alliance getting slaughtered but against all odds they just keep surviving. The longer the farce goes on, the better the explanation has to be for why Eren and Ymir don't just win immediately.

This is why I'm getting anxious about the story's resolution. I genuinely can't tell anymore if Ymir and Eren are holding back for inscrutable reasons, which doesn't appear to be the case given how earnestly the titans are attacking, or if it's just plot armor fuckery to drag out the fighting until the Alliance can pull an impossible victory out of their asses. The dreaded Lelouch ending (whether it is intentional or inadvertent, with Eren actually trying to Rumble everything and still losing) looms over the story like a sword of Damocles. I'm equally concerned about Armin Talk No Jutsuing either Eren or Ymir and somehow securing peace with the rest of the world despite the Rumbling (even a partial one) being the complete validation of the world's hatred of Eldians.

I don't think that will happen because everything in the story (as well as the final panel) points to Eren winning, and I generally trust Isayama at delivering at this point given his track record. However, he also wouldn't be the first author to stumble at the final hurdle. And it may be the case where the ending works but the execution is flawed. As I said before, if there's a twist coming to justify Eren and Ymir's behavior, it's gonna have to be a doozy.

They were pretty much wiped out as soon as they landed though? They literally had a last minute save , we t for round two and are still barely hanging on . I feel the way it’s been written that it’s pretty clear they need a miracle to survive much longer than they have.

Isayama has shown he clearly understands people don’t unite for a common enemy, even in this chapter. I doubt we’re going to get a Lelouch ending and Eren is not going to be talked down from this point, he has literally told them the only way this stops is if he dies.

We’ve got three chapters, lets just see how it wraps up. I honestly think he’s going to stick the landing and we’ll have a modern classic in the making.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I was curious and looked up some of the popularity poll results for AoT and Erwin was really popular even before his death. I had no idea.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I liked the ending to Code Geass :shrug:

That said I really don't think this is where this story is going, if that were the case I don't think he'd be so settled on mass genocide, he'd be subjugating everyone not murdering them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I do too.

The movie one where all the people he sacrificed himself for are so loving incompetent they literally have to raise him from the dead to clean up their messes, and after he effortlessly does that he gets to ditch those losers and go be immortal with his girlfriend.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder why Eren fought so hard to get to this point only to stop fighting now, maybe controlling millions(?) of colossal titans is all he can manage at the moment.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I think my ideal ending is one where they stop the genocide and make it clear that the Marleyans are going to stand down for now (either out of understanding or simply because they got so hosed up), but leave it ambiguous as to whether the peace will last. More of a Watchmen sort of deal.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Beefstew posted:

I think my ideal ending is one where they stop the genocide and make it clear that the Marleyans are going to stand down for now (either out of understanding or simply because they got so hosed up), but leave it ambiguous as to whether the peace will last. More of a Watchmen sort of deal.

Then in the sequel series 10 years later Eren will be trapped on the moon, serviced by clones of himself built by Ymir while something something lube man

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Eren's priorities remain:
- Ensure Paradis has a future
- Prevent Historia and her child from being sacrificed

The wiggle room lies in how he deals with the conflicting desires of wanting his friends to survive, not desiring to take away their freedom, knowing genocide is wrong, and hating himself for everything he's done.

A partial apocalypse both leaves the world too weak to go revanchist on Paradis, and opens a possibility for peace if it was Paradis' own warriors who stopped it, so with that context he's likely already accomplished his primary goals even if he's stopped now.

I don't think he's putting up a show, though. He's going at it for reals.

I also believe it's highly anti-thematic to have Ymir be the one controlling Eren, but it's definitely a possibility that Armin manages to reason with Ymir to get her to stop Eren since ultimately this is all the result of her power.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

One analysis I liked is that the series kinda deals with the dichotomy of strength vs will. Before getting Titan powers, Eren was all will, no power. Meanwhile, Ymir is all power, no will. Together the two can do anything. But if one link breaks, it's over.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
While I do hope the plot doesn't wrap up with a "it was Ymir the whole time" type of ending - the more I think about it the more I realize it's appropriate for Ymir to have had a larger role in shaping the story than what we are currently aware of. Born and raised as a slave, she was immediately punished for the first act of free will we ever see her performing in freeing the pigs. Then for the next 13 years she is forced to terrorize the entire world and bear 3 children all sired by her slaver. When she finally sees her chance to die she takes it, essentially committing suicide to escape her terrible life, only to find that she is immortal except now she's literally all alone and worse, the coordinate was stolen from her because her disgusting slaver/rapist forced her daughters to eat her body.

We know that time works differently in paths, and we've seen that a single earth day passing was enough to completely mentally break Zeke. Ymir has been at it alone for two thousand years (likely seeming to her like millions of years) during which she's had to witness - and help - her bloodline commit untold atrocities against the world at large, against themselves, and finally see them all become slaves again. If there's any character in the series who could arguably be justified in seeking a global genocide, it's Ymir.

This could set up an interesting Terminator-like plotline where even when armed with foreknowledge of the future, humanity is destined to create Skynet and subsequently Skynet is destined to nearly exterminate humanity. In AoT it's the attack titan who is destined to free Ymir, even with the Fritz family doing everything to prevent it and even despite the attack titan knowing what will happen as a result. This whole awful chain of events could have been avoided, for example, if Eren simply took his knowledge of Ymir and simply never acted on it - but doing so would be entirely antithetical to who Eren is. He values freedom above all else, and the moment he discovers the truth about Ymir he's inexorably bound to free her - after all can you truly value freedom if you ignore the one being who is least free? Likewise Ymir could simply opt to finally perish rather than wreak vengeance upon the world, but after a practical eternity of suffering, she too is bound to this fate.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My problem with that is I don't care about Ymir. She didn't grow up with all of the other characters in the story and she's a stranger to everyone, including the reader. If Ymir becomes the only character that matters I see it as a huge disappointment.

(I don't believe that the conclusion of the story will be Eren got Sasha, Hange, millions of others killed because he felt bad for Ymir.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 8, 2021

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Super Rad posted:

Ymir has been at it alone for two thousand years

Beefstew posted:

Our problem in understanding this comes with how "Eldian" and "Subject of Ymir" have become synonymous in the 2000 years since.
so "To You, 2,000 Years From Now" is in reference to ymir talking with eren from two thousand years ago?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

No Wave posted:

(I don't believe that the conclusion of the story will be Eren got Sasha, Hange, millions of others killed because he felt bad for Ymir.)

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Eren doesn't feel bad for Ymir, but due to who he is he fundamentally can't prevent himself from freeing Ymir anyways. Just like he couldn't help himself from saving the pickpocket in Liberio even though doing so confirmed that all the terrible things he saw in the future would happen, including that kid dying anyways.

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 9, 2021

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ymir is gonna be reincarnated into Historia's baby. That's why that ending pic of Eren holding the baby has him saying you're free now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Anyway, some things I noticed in this chapter that nobody talked about.
Armin complaining about his body not moving and everyone dying due to his inaction was a direct callback to Trost - it's like poetry, it rhymes, etc.
Annie is most definitely grossed out/afraid of bugs. She curb stomped that mantis into nothing back in Marley. A flashback showed the other scouts teasing her by holding up some kind of insect. And her reaction to Gabi's description of the "centipede" was "Gross."