Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Nightmare Rolant should be a 1/4, at most.

A bitter-as-gently caress snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Primal spells is still strong and hardly uses any new cards. Two copies of Krull I think are the only new legendaries.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Surprised no Krull nerf. Or valkyrie nerf aside from Rolant. Also he's perfectly fine as a 1/5 imo. It's not like his attack doesn't grow or he doesn't have decay.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Everything about that card is horseshit and I'm nearly as sick of him as I am of Sling and Mandrakes.dec.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Playing Sling in Expedition is not fun either. I packed mine and moved to Throne, where I intend to stay a while until there is more decks to choose from.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

With 3-4 equally strong decks in expid I'm not surprised they went light on nerfs, because you'd just turn it into 1-2 viable decks (the ones you didn't touch). Seems like the problem is the matchups and/or decks are unfun, not that there's not enough choice.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Also I keep forgetting Volcanic Hammer is now blue. :doh:

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
Reality Warden getting overwhelm is probably fairly notable as well. That guy always seemed to be right in the cusp of playable and that'll probably get him some shine as a hate card.

Little surprised at Customs Officer getting the extra str too. Dude already has a spot in transform decks for life, can't imagine an extra attack gets him to show up anywhere else.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Nosre posted:

With 3-4 equally strong decks in expid I'm not surprised they went light on nerfs, because you'd just turn it into 1-2 viable decks (the ones you didn't touch). Seems like the problem is the matchups and/or decks are unfun, not that there's not enough choice.

Yeah agree here. The top decks are all really hard to play if you want to truly maximize your edge. Yet most games come down to stuff like, did I/my opponent get a sweeper? Who played their site first? Did I get my Merriest Mandrake/Molten Wing to stick or did they?

Standingstoic posted:

Reality Warden getting overwhelm is probably fairly notable as well. That guy always seemed to be right in the cusp of playable and that'll probably get him some shine as a hate card.

Little surprised at Customs Officer getting the extra str too. Dude already has a spot in transform decks for life, can't imagine an extra attack gets him to show up anywhere else.

Reality Warden is going to be good without being a hate card. Removal is so weak in expedition right now and a 7/7 overwhelm is going to stop people from stalling with chump blockers.
Is that transform deck good? I steamrolled it the couple times I played against it. Could be they just want to make that deck stronger with the Customs Officer buff.

Also two rules questions:
If you kill Customs Officer in response to the market effect, is the unit just gone for good? That's how Faceless Butcher worked in MTG.
Will silence stop Curtain Call? In particular I'm thinking about Shen Ra's decimate to wipe a board through Curtain Call.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 8, 2021

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New mini-expansion coming Feb. 11, Buried Memories.

in other news, got 31-9 in this month's sealed :toot: a rakano deck with a bit of a go wide theme thanks to 3 copies of make two 1/1 fliers and some good removal. what more do you need in limited.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Cards like those make me extremely happy that price difference between cards is rarity and not *gestures toward Baneslayer Angel and some trash mythic in the same set as her*

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyone know how many wins it typically takes for top 500 in Sealed? I'm currently 16-5 but feeling pretty :effort: about playing another 19 games.

e: 15 wins was good for top 1k a few minutes ago, for reference.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Decided to play it out anyway, currently at rank 501 with a 22-8 record. In case anyone else is deciding whether a last-minute run is a good plan for them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Finished up 30-10, should be good for top 100 (but not top 50 - Huzzah, was 31 wins good enough for that?). 29-11 might have been good enough, but I won that last match instead of having to sweat out the finish.

Is Martial Efficiency the best uncommon in the format? I think it's the best uncommon in the format.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Jabor posted:

Is Martial Efficiency the best uncommon in the format? I think it's the best uncommon in the format.

Yes that card is so ridiculous I pick it every time I open it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

lazerwolf posted:

Yes that card is so ridiculous I pick it every time I open it.

There are very few cards that are a guaranteed blowout each and every time you play them and this is foremost among them, I think.

Anyone got any recommendations for an Expedition deck that I can sprint to Master with from Gold 3? I'm on the Slam It In red list from the site but it has an incredible number of bad matchups, I have equal success with my Skycrag Flying deck.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Jabor posted:

Finished up 30-10, should be good for top 100 (but not top 50 - Huzzah, was 31 wins good enough for that?). 29-11 might have been good enough, but I won that last match instead of having to sweat out the finish.

Just checked, 31-9 with 1 tiebraker win has me at rank 33.

My pool also had a martial efficiency in it, its just good.

newershadow
May 18, 2014
More nerfs coming today: https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/2-1-live-balance-update/

Heavy Artillery – Now creates and draws a 3/3 Raildriver (was create and play)
The Speaking Circle – Now 3 durability (was 4) and “Kill enemy sites at the end of each turn” (Was “The enemy player can’t have a site”)
Invasive Creeper – Now 2/1 (was 2/2)
Vine Tangler – Now 9 to Ultimate (was 7)
:siren: Cylixes – Now require three of their faction before playing undepleted or creating a Trove (was two) :siren:

Buffs:
Matriarch Zende – Now 2/3 (was 2/2)
Skimmer Wrangler – Now stuns two enemy units with flying (was 1).
Opum's Technique – Now “Deal 5 damage to a factionless or multifaction enemy” (was “Deal 5 damage to a multifaction enemy”)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Heavy Artillery nerf makes it nearly unplayable. Should have made the the weapon a 2/2 or made it cost 1 power or something. Everything else looks fine. This might be the push Hooru Soldiers needs to really dominate.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

quote:

Cylixes – Now require three of their faction before playing undepleted or creating a Trove (was two)

Big nerf to cylixes, but I think an overall buff to Speaking Circle. You are really incentivized to run it now.

EDIT: As a reddit comment points out, the Circles kill each other. So they just updated the Legend rule, is it 2004 already?

say no to scurvy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 2, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I don't know if you can call it a buff if it's strictly worse except against itself.

As is I feel like it whiffs pretty often in throne. Very good in expedition though. I think it's like +10% chance to pull Equalize.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 2, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
What, Speaking Circle? I can count on one hand the number of times it hasn't given my opponent THE EXACT SPELLS he needed to just completely loving rope-a-dope me.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah but how often do you get hosed when you play it? Like at least half the time?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Man, the feelbads of losing three draft games in a row to people's nonsense legendaries, then losing a sealed game to another random legendary. How come I don't get a broke-rear end legendary to run???

Ah well, maybe next time.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Haven't played it yet, guess I'll give it a whirl. Is it 1x market or 4x main?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Close one.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Exploit nerf when? It's like a 4x auto include in any deck that runs shadow.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Probably never.

It'll roll out of expedition at some point though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean it's just as bad in Throne. Krull needs a nerf too. Decks should at least have to run shadow influence in order to get the fate effect.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Krull for sure needs something, I'm not sure why they flaked on it this time.

Exploit is fine though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ugh, 2 mana to take your opponents best card is nuts. It is not fine. Even fixes your hand. It would probably still be played if it let your opponent plunder instead of you.

Anyways, just hit rank 2 on Throne! Got beaten by one other person. Next closest person is in D2 apparently. Ran Skycrag aggro (non yeti version) and Hooru killers this month; mostly Skycrag. Was a pretty smooth ride. Went 8-1 in my last 9 games. Feel a little more consistent than the yeti version but you also can't high roll quite as much.

FORMAT:Throne
4 Blazing Salvo (Set8 #1)
3 Oni Patrol (Set6 #5)
4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Snowcrust Yeti (Set2 #105)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Champion of Fury (Set2 #187)
4 Dusk Raider (Set4 #153)
4 Jekk, Mercenary Hunter (Set1087 #1)
4 Milos, Rebel Bomber (Set1085 #1)
4 Vadius, Clan Father (Set2 #191)
3 Kaleb's Persuader (Set6 #29)
6 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
3 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Seat of Fury (Set0 #53)
4 Skycrag Banner (Set2 #186)
4 Skycrag Cylix (Set9 #187)
4 Skycrag Insignia (Set7 #162)
---------------MARKET---------------
1 Backlash (Set1 #200)
1 Edict of Shavka (Set7 #3)
1 Ice Bolt (Set6 #151)
1 Sear (Set8 #8)
1 Torrential Downpour (Set4 #163)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

Ugh, 2 mana to take your opponents best card is nuts. It is not fine. Even fixes your hand. It would probably still be played if it let your opponent plunder instead of you.

Anyways, just hit rank 2 on Throne! Got beaten by one other person. Next closest person is in D2 apparently. Ran Skycrag aggro (non yeti version) and Hooru killers this month; mostly Skycrag. Was a pretty smooth ride. Went 8-1 in my last 9 games. Feel a little more consistent than the yeti version but you also can't high roll quite as much.

FORMAT:Throne
4 Blazing Salvo (Set8 #1)
3 Oni Patrol (Set6 #5)
4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Snowcrust Yeti (Set2 #105)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Champion of Fury (Set2 #187)
4 Dusk Raider (Set4 #153)
4 Jekk, Mercenary Hunter (Set1087 #1)
4 Milos, Rebel Bomber (Set1085 #1)
4 Vadius, Clan Father (Set2 #191)
3 Kaleb's Persuader (Set6 #29)
6 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
3 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Seat of Fury (Set0 #53)
4 Skycrag Banner (Set2 #186)
4 Skycrag Cylix (Set9 #187)
4 Skycrag Insignia (Set7 #162)
1 Backlash (Set1 #200)
1 Edict of Shavka (Set7 #3)
1 Ice Bolt (Set6 #151)
1 Sear (Set8 #8)
1 Torrential Downpour (Set4 #163)

I'll take consistency over high-rolling. Thanks for sharing it! Which player beat you to Master?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It was Alive. Never heard of him before but I don't pay too much attention to player names.

Started Expedition today and found this really cool deck from the last tournament. Near Perfect Imitation has one key difference from Grasp: you can attack with the transformed unit right away if it wasn't played this turn. Deck is really clever, but not sure if it's actually that good.

FORMAT:Expedition
4 Know When to Hold 'em (Set9 #331)
4 Jarrall Ascending (Set1095 #14)
3 Just Desserts (Set9 #332)
4 Master Cartographer (Set5 #120)
4 Maveloft Huntress (Set9 #119)
4 Whispering Wind (Set1 #202)
4 Jennev Merchant (Set4 #169)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
2 Forbidden Research (Set9 #132)
4 Torgov, Icecap Trader (Set2 #126)
4 Near Perfect Imitation (Set1097 #8)
1 Helio, the Skywinder (Set9 #136)
1 The Speaking Circle (Set10 #404)
2 Vara, Limitless (Set9 #180)
2 Krull, Xumuc Occultist (Set10 #112)
3 Savior of the Meek (Set5 #111)
1 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
8 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Primal Symbol (Set9 #109)
4 Hooru Painting (Set10 #99)
4 Hooru Vow (Set9 #202)
4 Seat of Order (Set0 #51)
1 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
1 Cyber Combustion (Set10 #54)
1 Dazzle (Set1095 #13)
1 Polymorph (Set1 #211)
1 Vengeful Flight (Set9 #139)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I killed someone with Light the Fuse from Speaking Circle after we were both down to 20 cards and top decking. Equalize is a really stupid card.

Also got a notification saying cards have been updated but I don't see any changes.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 4, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Rank 8 in expedition with Hooru soldiers. This was the deck that took first place in the last tournament, I added a Roshi to the market as the only change. Deck is a ton of fun to play, you want to play as aggressive as you would mono red or Skycrag. Goal is to push early damage and win turn 5 or 6 with Argo or Death From Above. A lot of players will misplay around Dovid by killing him, giving you a chance to play a 4 mana 9/9 or activating your Bouldergate Guard for lethal. Every point of damage counts so play accordingly. Also I feel the market site is often a trap card. It's good occasionally but remember, you generally want to try and kill your opponent ASAP, not baby sit a site.

TJS and Xenan control both felt like uphill battles. Everything else I saw, I felt favored.

FORMAT:Expedition
3 Argo's Technique (Set10 #398)
3 Bouldergate Guard (Set9 #75)
2 Builder's Decree (Set10 #387)
4 Crown Patroller (Set9 #77)
4 Daru Lee (Set10 #60)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Transpose (Set8 #89)
4 Genetor Dovid I (Set10 #410)
3 Martial Efficiency (Set10 #402)
4 Maveloft Huntress (Set9 #119)
4 Seasoned Drillmaster (Set7 #79)
3 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
4 Argo Ironthorn (Set10 #302)
3 Frostclaw Rider (Set10 #327)
3 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
4 Crownwatch Standard (Set4 #97)
4 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Hooru Painting (Set10 #99)
4 Hooru Vow (Set9 #202)
4 Seat of Order (Set0 #51)
3 Broken Contract (Set1095 #21)
1 Death from Above (Set6 #166)
1 Lord Steyer's Tower (Set10 #340)
1 Mass Entomancy (Set5 #137)
1 Roshi the Entrancer (Set9 #204)
1 Sharp Tactician (Set10 #28)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

Equalize is a really stupid card.

Equalise is horrifying, it should cost 50,000 shiftstone per copy.

And also it auto wipes your account if you play it.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 6, 2021

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I’m not entirely sure why but I’m really liking this draft format.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tubgoat posted:

Equalise is horrifying, it should cost 50,000 shiftstone per copy.

And also it auto wipes your account if you play it.

"The person with the most shiftstone must sacrifice shiftstone until they are equal" :getin:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Organized play being revived: https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/2021-eternal-world-championship/

- Nine open tournaments ~once a month with cash prizes for top 8 and the winner getting an invite to Worlds. Getting to Masters on any of the ladders gets you two byes in the preliminary round.
- Two more invites from TNE (the community tournament series that took over after ETS died)
- Four invites from consistent placing in the monthly opens - top 4 twice for automatic qualification, top 16 twice to get into a playoff tournament for any remaining spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Had two different people die to Krull today. A good day. One was for exact lethal.