Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sincx posted:

I have a surgeon friend who turned down a $600k a year salary increase to jump to a for-profit facility because he didn't want to be on-call any more than he already is, and you're telling me there are thousands of people willing to be paged at all times of the day or night to defend internet space stations for free?

it was mostly for getting people at work/school to log in. hopefully not a lot of surgeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fur20 posted:

well, don't spare any details i'm having a hard time figuring out what went on from that thread

yeah i think linking to a 900 page thread that's written entirely in its own language and saying COME ON IN GUYS is, perhaps, not the immediate next step here to drive engagement

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sincx posted:

I have a surgeon friend who turned down a $600k a year salary increase to jump to a for-profit facility because he didn't want to be on-call any more than he already is, and you're telling me there are thousands of people willing to be paged at all times of the day or night to defend internet space stations for free?

people only do that poo poo when there's an intense war happening, not every week. and even the super-huge alliances have to take a long break after a war, like six months to a year at least.

the good metaphor is more like soccer fans staying up all night to watch the world cup live. it only happens every few years, and lasts for a couple months before you go back to normal life.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Phlegmish posted:

Another decisive goon victory tonight

Come join us in our holy jihad against the invaders:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866278&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

What was the victory this time? We need the play by play BR and YouTube video

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm coming to Delve to say Hi. Please don't blow me up

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Galewolf posted:

I got banned/blacklisted so hard (irl friend sponsoree tried to go fuckgoons) that I have been told needed to e-mail everyone including Mittani to lift it.

A goonfleet friend (a bad friend?) told me to come back and camp baddies in a cloaked Heron while shitposting on local chat.

Not long after sounding the horn of goondor, Mittani issued a quasi blanket pardon. Afaik there's only one person who's been told to get hosed. You could always ask in the eve thread, you never know :shrug:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Eve is a game about cutting wrestling promos

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

poverty goat posted:

It used to be even worse. A big part of the grand strategy in Eve used to come down to alarmclocking for a strategic op at a strange time so that you could push the next timer outside of your opponent's timezone and force them to alarmclock or play eve during the workday if they didn't want to lose the station. Goonfleet had an SMS system that could ping thousands of goons and allies at any hour to log in and defend against this kind of bullshit.

Used to come down to alarmclocking? What changed? I haven't been ingame since '09-10, and alarmclocking was definitely a fact of life back then, yeah.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
We alarm clocked and had a text/call list in the Astro Empires game. God why did I think that was okay in my 20's?

I'd wake up to "Hey this is some guy in Australia, yer shits getting blown up. Ilshur will eat your debris while you sleep for you."

Also rest in piece Ilshur holy gently caress. :(

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Dalael posted:

Not long after sounding the horn of goondor, Mittani issued a quasi blanket pardon. Afaik there's only one person who's been told to get hosed. You could always ask in the eve thread, you never know :shrug:

Yeah I already did ask in the thread while pardons were being handed and e-mailed directors as instructed but probs fell into the cracks.

I mean, I was winning at Eve since I got banned (5 years now?) but UK is getting worse in terms of lockdown and it would be a nice distraction so might give the thread another go like you said.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kestral posted:

Used to come down to alarmclocking? What changed? I haven't been ingame since '09-10, and alarmclocking was definitely a fact of life back then, yeah.
There's more control over sov timers somehow and you don't have to fly a covops to all 30 POS in a besieged system to micromanage the timers anymore. Alarmclocking is still a thing, I'm sure, it's just less about mandatory structure defense at 4 in the morning

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
So is it feasible to go after their bases? I presume they have a few of them as well. Is there even a way to "win" the war because it seems like WWI trench warfare here.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ChesterJT posted:

Is there even a way to "win" the war because it seems like WWI trench warfare here.

The easy way to win a war, and the way most eve wars in history have been won, is that one side senses they're getting beat and their members quit. People stop logging in for fights and instead spend time getting their poo poo safe, or abandon their spaceguild, or quit the game entirely. That just makes everything go even more lopsided.

Wars pretty much always are effectively over and won well before all the territory gets flipped.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

Phlegmish posted:

Delta Sqad is still around, and they're busy harassing the enemy in space that was allegedly conquered by the latter months ago

Good to hear. I was intermittently the squad leader for, like, a year or two.

One time I hired a chinese Dominion farmer in Q4C to the wallet corp with a 100% tax because we couldn't get rid of him. I made a ton of money and got in a shitload of trouble lol

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Klyith posted:

The easy way to win a war, and the way most eve wars in history have been won, is that one side senses they're getting beat and their members quit. People stop logging in for fights and instead spend time getting their poo poo safe, or abandon their spaceguild, or quit the game entirely. That just makes everything go even more lopsided.

Wars pretty much always are effectively over and won well before all the territory gets flipped.

So why wouldn't you grab the territory if they are beaten? It would seen like a successful team could just keep going and induce Pax Goon or whatever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fur20 posted:

well, don't spare any details i'm having a hard time figuring out what went on from that thread

I was being deliberately vague since I only started playing a few months ago so I don't know all the mechanics in detail myself, but I'll do my best.

Basically, there are currently two structures related to formal control over individual solar systems (which are grouped together in constellations): Territorial Claim Units and Infrastructure Hubs. Both require a fair amount of time and money to set up and maintain. TCU's are mostly symbolic, denoting who 'owns' the system, but IHubs have many practical effects, involving things like mining efficiency and the ability to transport huge fleets across large distances, making them strategically important, especially since keepstars (the highest-level docking stations and therefore closely related to practical control) require a huge number of pilots to set up or take out. During their first push into Delve (which is our main region), PAPI had managed to destroy most of our structures, replacing them with their own, effectively pushing us back into a handful of extremely well-defended systems at the heart of Delve (even though pvp and operations went on across the region and beyond, since that core territory with its resources and infrastructure had remained intact, allowing us to keep up the fight).

Structures are contested in two stages. First, enemy hackers have to 'reinforce' the structure itself within a specific window of time, which sets another timer that ends about two days later. When said timer ends, a number of command nodes start spawning across the constellation of the system that the structure is in. Offensive and defensive hackers engage in a contest to hack these (with defensive hacks taking a shorter time), and when offense gets it to 0%, the structure is destroyed and they can place their own structure in its place. The contest that we're talking about here involved an enemy IHub in D-W, a strategically important system. We got slightly over 1,000 pilots together (the vast majority in roaming combat fleets protecting or attacking hackers), while the enemy had 300 more. Since there were such large numbers in the constellation, all performing actions, the servers started locally implementing TiDi (Time Dilation). This is a mechanism that basically slows down time, so the servers don't crash under the heavy load. For most of the battle, the majority of systems in the constellation were at 10% tidi (so 10% of normal speed). The battle raged for hours, first we got the IHub down to 11% (it starts at 60% defensive control), but then defensive hackers popped a number of nodes in or near their staging system, bringing it back to about 52%. We rallied, and those that got blown up tried to reship as quickly as possible. We eventually got it down, despite being outnumbered, despite massive tidi, and despite it being an offensive hack.

TL;DR: we won a massive engagement against the combined enemy force despite literally everything being stacked against us. While we won the strategic objective, the symbolic value was even more important. Not only does our spirit remain unbroken after 6+ months of continuous fighting, we have actually started to push them back in some sort of Regoonquista.

If your eyes didn't glaze over after the third sentence of this post, congratulations, you are exactly the kind of nerd we need, hop in and let us shower you in isk:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866278

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 8, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There really needs to be a thread where just 'goonfleet news' is posted for people who are kind of interesting in watching the big picture of Eve, but don't have enough time or smarts to keep up with the main thread and try to decipher what all the poo poo being talked about means.

Even though I haven't played in years, I find the 'war news' reasonably interesting, but no way am I going to keep up with the main thread.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Darth Brooks posted:

So why wouldn't you grab the territory if they are beaten? It would seen like a successful team could just keep going and induce Pax Goon or whatever.

The mechanics of territory control have generally made holding extremely large swaths of space difficult. There's been 3 major revisions to sovereignty (aka space ownership): classic POSes, Dominion, and the current one (generally called FozzieSov after the designer who came up with it).

Classic POSes limited growth because POSes require fueling and upkeep. So at some point your logistics team told the conquering generals to gently caress off, they weren't gonna put in even more work delivering fuel to 500 more towers. Before goons got involved this system produced a lot of space-feudalism, with smaller puppet alliances holding space and maintaining POSes, but the big elites "in charge".

Dominion only required money for territory upkeep, with the money directly & automatically yoiked from the alliance wallet. (This led to goons hilariously losing Delve in 2009 when our afk directors forgot to put money into the right checking account, and all our space evaporated overnight.) But money is the weakest form of limitation so the Dominion sov era was one of increasingly-huge empires and consolidation. Even then, the eve map is so big that there were still like 4 blocs left at the low point. The mega-powers operated giant slum zones where they rented space to botters and idiots.

FozzieSov has a fairly well-designed limitation that undefended space is really easy to take over, even by a tiny force. One of the problems with Dominion was that you had to shoot things to flip them and they had huge HP numbers, so 12 guys with destroyers were completely locked out even if nobody ever came to defend anything. FozzieSov decouples standard weapons from the sov structures, so there's no minimum size or ships requirement. A single dude could take over space if nobody comes to stop him. (Also there's a mechanic where activity in space like mining & ratting makes it more defensible, by making the attacker take longer while the defense still works at full speed. So fallow unoccupied space is also the most vulnerable.)

So at present the main limitation on growth is that at some point, space is hard to keep because you have to defend it not just from your equals but every tiny pissant force that feels like ringing your doorbell and leaving a flaming bag of poop.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Phlegmish posted:

I was being deliberately vague since I only started playing a few months ago so I don't know all the mechanics in detail myself, but I'll do my best.

Basically, there are currently two structures related to formal control over individual solar systems (which are grouped together in constellations): Territorial Claim Units and Infrastructure Hubs. Both require a fair amount of time and money to set up and maintain. TCU's are mostly symbolic, denoting who 'owns' the system, but IHubs have many practical effects, involving things like mining efficiency and the ability to transport huge fleets across large distances, making them strategically important, especially since keepstars (the highest-level docking stations and therefore closely related to practical control) require a huge number of pilots to set up or take out. During their first push into Delve (which is our main region), PAPI had managed to destroy most of our structures, replacing them with their own, effectively pushing us back into a handful of extremely well-defended systems at the heart of Delve (even though pvp and operations went on across the region and beyond, since that core territory with its resources and infrastructure had remained intact, allowing us to keep up the fight).

Structures are contested in two stages. First, enemy hackers have to 'reinforce' the structure itself within a specific window of time, which sets another timer that ends about two days later. When said timer ends, a number of command nodes start spawning across the constellation of the system that the structure is in. Offensive and defensive hackers engage in a contest to hack these (with defensive hacks taking a shorter time), and when offense gets it to 0%, the structure is destroyed and they can place their own structure in its place. The contest that we're talking about here involved an enemy IHub in D-W, a strategically important system. We got slightly over 1,000 pilots together (the vast majority in roaming combat fleets protecting or attacking hackers), while the enemy had 300 more. Since there were such large numbers in the constellation, all performing actions, the servers started locally implementing TiDi (Time Dilation). This is a mechanism that basically slows down time, so the servers don't crash under the heavy load. For most of the battle, the majority of systems in the constellation were at 10% tidi (so 10% of normal speed). The battle raged for hours, first we got the IHub down to 11% (it starts at 60% defensive control), but then defensive hackers popped a number of nodes in or near their staging system, bringing it back to about 52%. We rallied, and those that got blown up tried to reship as quickly as possible. We eventually got it down, despite being outnumbered, despite massive tidi, and despite it being an offensive hack.

TL;DR: we won a massive engagement against the combined enemy force despite literally everything being stacked against us. While we won the strategic objective, the symbolic value was even more important. Not only does our spirit remain unbroken after 6+ months of continuous fighting, we have actually started to push them back in some sort of Regoonquista.

If your eyes didn't glaze over after the third sentence of this post, congratulations, you are exactly the kind of nerd we need, hop in and let us shower you in isk:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866278

:getin:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Locator posted:

There really needs to be a thread where just 'goonfleet news' is posted for people who are kind of interesting in watching the big picture of Eve, but don't have enough time or smarts to keep up with the main thread and try to decipher what all the poo poo being talked about means.

Even though I haven't played in years, I find the 'war news' reasonably interesting, but no way am I going to keep up with the main thread.

I think this is that thread, basically.

I sympathize with people who have difficulty following events in EVE, when I first signed up it felt like veterans were speaking a different language altogether.

e: oh, and The Imperium has its own news service, that might be exactly what you want:

https://imperium.news/

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I find it all fascinating from a geopolitical (aeropolitical?) standpoint but the actual mechanics of the game makes my eyes glaze over. It would probably be like jumping into any mmo thats been running for 10+ years.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

I find it all fascinating from a geopolitical (aeropolitical?) standpoint but the actual mechanics of the game makes my eyes glaze over. It would probably be like jumping into any mmo thats been running for 10+ years.

EVE Online came out in 2003, so even worse!

Just kidding, there's tons of people in Goonswarm to hold your hand and give you the ins and outs. There's a LOT to learn, but in small enough doses it's manageable and can be quite fun. Even on Day 1.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you can cash out isk, right?

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Is this the game where they used to tell newbs to make an intro post in GBS?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

someone needs to make a big collection of the great stories from EVE. I remember reading one nigh on a decade ago about a guy who scammed people out of blueprints (?) or something

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Otacon posted:

EVE Online came out in 2003, so even worse!

Just kidding, there's tons of people in Goonswarm to hold your hand and give you the ins and outs. There's a LOT to learn, but in small enough doses it's manageable and can be quite fun. Even on Day 1.

I won't lie, if you're jumping in with 0 experience, it's pretty daunting and it requires a large initial investment...but that's also what makes it so rewarding for me personally. Everything is persistent, everything you do can matter, and you can become really powerful by working towards a long-term goal.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

I won't lie, if you're jumping in with 0 experience, it's pretty daunting and it requires a large initial investment...but that's also what makes it so rewarding for me personally. Everything is persistent, everything you do can matter, and you can become really powerful by working towards a long-term goal.

Daunting yes, especially if you are deciding to start playing an 18 year old MMO without knowing any current players and trying to learn as you go. It's significantly less so when you have a friend or two to join, and comparably easy when you have 1,000 goons with millions of hours of combined knowledge to tell you what to do to get the most immediate enjoyment out of it.

Plus we've got a wiki and it has (in some cases) 15 years of archival content including history, drama, and in-game help.

Also we're rich and we buy off new goon players to make you rich, too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
astropolitical :pseudo:

cool thanks that makes sense. i can make it past the third sentence and goonfleet sounds fun, but truthfully i have a hard time investing myself in large endeavors that aren't of my own design, so i don't think i would be a very good member and i'd probably lose interest about as quickly as i do for any other mmo :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Otacon posted:

Daunting yes, especially if you are deciding to start playing an 18 year old MMO without knowing any current players and trying to learn as you go. It's significantly less so when you have a friend or two to join, and comparably easy when you have 1,000 goons with millions of hours of combined knowledge to tell you what to do to get the most immediate enjoyment out of it.

Plus we've got a wiki and it has (in some cases) 15 years of archival content including history, drama, and in-game help.

Also we're rich and we buy off new goon players to make you rich, too.

Yeah. Over the months I've received billions and billions from generous goons, without that I would never have gotten this far.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Galewolf posted:

Yeah I already did ask in the thread while pardons were being handed and e-mailed directors as instructed but probs fell into the cracks.

I mean, I was winning at Eve since I got banned (5 years now?) but UK is getting worse in terms of lockdown and it would be a nice distraction so might give the thread another go like you said.

The fact that you are pushed into playing again Eve online during the lockdown is a scathing testimony against the UK blanket ban against internet porn.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Did my brain make it up or was there a multiplayer FPS that was linked to EVE? I don't really care to do non-work spreadsheets but I'd be quite happy shooting spacemen for the goon cause.

Edit:

limaCAT posted:

The fact that you are pushed into playing again Eve online during the lockdown is a scathing testimony against the UK blanket ban against internet porn.

What the gently caress?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That didn’t happen, they were talking about it though. Also none of the legislation mentioned anything about VPN software, so no one over the mental age of ‘conservative MP’ was worried.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

limaCAT posted:

:lol:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they didn't want to ban it, they wanted to control it. porn passports. big redcoated soldier in a bearskin hat with a fixed bayonet ensures you're only wanking to approved pictures of the queen

insane idea, has been totally scrapped

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I know it's weird to be from the US and saying this, but I'm worried about our cousins on that weird transphobic island over there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Pistols posted:

Did my brain make it up or was there a multiplayer FPS that was linked to EVE? I don't really care to do non-work spreadsheets but I'd be quite happy shooting spacemen for the goon cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgqArP0JfBU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Otacon posted:

and comparably easy when you have 1,000 goons with millions of hours of combined knowledge to tell you what to do to get the most immediate enjoyment out of it.

Are there any good goon approved guides for new players so I don’t have to start out with a million dumb questions that have already been asked an annoying amount of times?

I’d only really want to learn the basics so I can help the cause a little here and there, nothing much.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
EVE always seemed interesting but I never liked the idea that you were limited to following the lines on the map. They should have built the game around being able to jump to anywhere from anywhere.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Amarcarts posted:

EVE always seemed interesting but I never liked the idea that you were limited to following the lines on the map. They should have built the game around being able to jump to anywhere from anywhere.

You can with help from other ships I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Snowy posted:

Are there any good goon approved guides for new players so I don’t have to start out with a million dumb questions that have already been asked an annoying amount of times?

I’d only really want to learn the basics so I can help the cause a little here and there, nothing much.

No idea, but any questions you ask will be answered in jabber, or in a specific in-game channel we have for that.

You will also be showered in isk if you play up the cute newbee :shobon: angle.