Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
kind of a shame Cano is suspended for this season cause otherwise we'd have the smiliest middle infield in the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tommy Lasorda is dead, I guess he got out of the hospital two days ago so he could go pass his final days at home. His legacy is mixed and I am just young enough not to have any particular attachment to his managerial career. He lived a long life and never faced any repercussions for the way he treated his son.

But his mascot fueds were pretty funny so we’ll always have that I guess

https://twitter.com/cardchronicle/status/1347585246624161792?s=21

https://youtu.be/pmzeK6oAtkk

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 8, 2021

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

Tommy Lasorda is dead, I guess he got out of the hospital two days ago so he could go pass his final days at home. His legacy is mixed and I am just young enough not to have any particular attachment to his managerial career. He lived a long life and never faced any repercussions for the way he treated his son.

in my childhood i remember lasorda as being "somehow older than don zimmer" but in hindsight they weren't that old at the time

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
rest in piss rear end in a top hat

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pour out some sugo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Dodgers statement continuing Lasodra's strong legacy of erasing his son is :discourse:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

the Dodgers statement continuing Lasodra's strong legacy of erasing his son is :discourse:

refresh my memory, what's the story here?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
His gay son died of AIDS and he continued to insist that it was cancer until his death.

https://www.outsports.com/2020/11/16/21569490/tommy-lasorda-gay-son-tom-junior-aids-dodgers-mlb-spunky

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

gross

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poque posted:

His gay son died of AIDS and he continued to insist that it was cancer until his death.

https://www.outsports.com/2020/11/16/21569490/tommy-lasorda-gay-son-tom-junior-aids-dodgers-mlb-spunky

What a poo poo bag.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The gently caress is Andrew Friedman doing while all these dumb teams just give away great talent for peanuts? Dodgers have been “interested” in Carrasco for years.

edit: trade simulator is pretty high on Gimenez and thus sees the exchange as pretty even

You got Mookie for a bag of balls, leave some for other teams

RIP Tommy and his Slim Fast farts

e:

Poque posted:

Oh nevermind I retract the RIP

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

According to new court documents, a former Angels employee used to give a ball doctoring substance to a whole bunch of Angels player. Eventually he gave the substance to a whole bunch of players on other teams, and LAA/MLB knew all about it, until he was fired as a scapegoat

Funnily enough, Trevor Bauer was not one of the other players

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-01-07/fired-angels-employee-bubba-harkins-names-players-illegal-product

I remember hearing about this a year or two ago when he got fired and it was framed as him only giving it to visiting players because he was the visitors clubhouse manager or something. It was a weird story and kinda believable because the Angels have had dogshit pitching for eternity but i am not surprised that the Angels also used it

Re: Tommy Lasorda - whatever, my main memory of him is gonna be falling on his rear end at the all star game when an errant bat went flying his way

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

no :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Mookie and Graterol :lol:

Like I get it, Verdugo is only 24 and has has put up AS numbers the last two seasons, and Maeda went on to have an (abbreviated) legit Cy Young caliber season, but you make that trade in a heartbeat.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Mookie trade was absolutely a great one for the Dodgers and they should do more good trades imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Like I get it, Verdugo is only 24 and has has put up AS numbers the last two seasons, and Maeda went on to have an (abbreviated) legit Cy Young caliber season, but you make that trade in a heartbeat.

Graterol was a straight up swap for Kenta Maeda so I'm not sure he belongs in the "traded for a bag of balls" discussion.

Unless you want to use the Red Sox blowing up the original trade because they were getting dunked on by everyone of his medicals as the reason he's in the discussion :v:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

Tommy Lasorda is dead

Or as I like to put it, Vin won.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

In case you needed another reminder that Curt Schilling is a piece of poo poo:

quote:

Curt Schilling, the former baseball great, turned failed gaming entrepreneur, turned disgraced ESPN host, turned Twitter personality pivoted to his latest hobby: volunteer surrogate of a white supremacist rebellion.

The outspoken ultra-conservative right-hander tweeted his support of Wednesday’s right-wing coup attempt at the U.S. Capitol building.

Schilling began by slamming anti-police violence protests as an example of true criminality gone unpunished, despite the frequent arrests and use of suppressive and sometimes deadly force.

“You cowards sat on your hands, did nothing while liberal trash looted rioted and burned for air Jordan’s and big screens,” Schilling wrote, slamming anti-police violence protests like the demonstrations that emerged as a response to the Minneapolis police officers that killed George Floyd while he was in custody.

“Sit back, [shut up] and watch folks start a confrontation for [expletive] that matters like rights, democracy and the end of [government] corruption,” Schilling then wrote of the mob attack, which resulted in five deaths — including a Capitol Police officer, a protester who was shot to death by Capitol Police and three others who died during the rioting.

There's more in the article.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Can "supporting insurrection" officially rank worse than roids for Hall criteria?

Also, Curt about to get deleted from Twitter like his daddy.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It would be funny if the Cubs tried really hard to trade Kris Bryant but no one would take his contract, even as a pure salary dump.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Curt schilling is finally getting to do exactly what God put him on Earth to do

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

has schilling been banned yet

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
He should be not just banned but memory holed from this thread

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Man remember when hatsune miku pitched with a bloody sock in the alcs

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/VictorRojas/status/1347921959074598913?s=20

Victor Rojas is leaving as the Angels pbp guy. I always liked him and thought he did a good job.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1347931489820954624

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Nats going all in on winning 84 games. Whatever, Schwarber is at least fun. I don't hold out a lot of for them being good but being mediocre in style isn't the worst thing in the world.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
:sadwave:

Schwarber is fun to watch and he will hit some monster dongs. He'll forever be remembered in Chicago for his absurd come back in the World Series.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Goon speed, Beefy Lad! and gently caress the Ricketts.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lol 10 million. Good for Kyle but...nope

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I am more than OK with the Nats giving 10 million to a guy with a slightly above-average bat and questionable defense in a league with no DH

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kyle...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

10 million for a single year is fine. His arbitration estimate was 8-9 million and people were upset when he was cut so let's not pretend that 10 million is some sort of walk away number that made sense.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

Lol 10 million. Good for Kyle but...nope

Pay the beefy lads and also gently caress the Ricketts forever

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Sydin posted:

The swap of Graterol for Maeda (whatever the context) was pretty even before we saw any of 2020. Framing that trade as a robbery now is even more baffling.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bregor posted:

Pay the beefy lads and also gently caress the Ricketts forever

This man in your friend, he fights for freedom.

Sure am glad the Ricketts blew their renovation/take over the neighborhood budget by a slim 100% and froze spending on the team for a couple years before this.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

surprised to see it in the reactionary paper that has been pretty sycophantic and from a former cubs beat writer who never has actual takes, but the Trib published a column excoriating the ricketts family for being so close to trump. good luck if you click on this navigating the tribune's minigame of closing videos and ads even if you have a blocker.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...5~2~4~art%20yes

e: sullivan just dropped a "kyrie irving was right" column, he is now Woke.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

surprised to see it in the reactionary paper that has been pretty sycophantic and from a former cubs beat writer who never has actual takes, but the Trib published a column excoriating the ricketts family for being so close to trump. good luck if you click on this navigating the tribune's minigame of closing videos and ads even if you have a blocker.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...5~2~4~art%20yes

e: sullivan just dropped a "kyrie irving was right" column, he is now Woke.

Sullivan's developed a little bit more of a bite ever since he took over the In the Wake of the News column last year (he was really pissed that the Tribune shitcanned David Haugh), so occasionally he actually drops a worthwhile take. Most of the Tribune's writers are godawful--their Bears beat guy is absolutely intolerable and their Cubs guy, Mark Gonzales, will never pass up an opportunity to suck up to the Rickettses--but Sullivan is ... non-objectionable, I guess? He's a lot better than he used to be during his beat days, when his gimmick was basically "old man yells at cloud," like an even shittier Steve Rosenbloom.

It still boggles my mind that he's a past president of the BBWAA.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1348000295251542017

Those are definitely names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Basically just another cheap arm that the Phillies can throw into the fire this year